Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,676 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question (2950 Views)

Mungo Park Did Not Discover River Niger – Prof Yemi Osinbajo / ‎IPOB: Don’t Believe The Lies About Me, Atiku Tells Nigerians / Amaechi, Yahaya Bello Flag Off Dredging Of River Niger Ajaokuta-Onitsha Waterway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Youngadvocate(m): 10:09pm On Mar 23, 2017
INTRODUCTION:

They will teach you that a white man called Mungo Park discovered River Niger. That is rubbish!

Our people fished in the Niger long before Mungo Park’s grandfather was born. But in your exam, write that it was Mungo Park,” says Odenigbo (Half a Yellow Sun).
Note: We must decolonise our minds, culture, history and education so that in future, school children in Igboland and Africa will be taught that our own ancestors discovered our part of the Niger River and not some uninvited guest from Europe."

But come to think of it, how could these people possibly say Mungo Park discovered River Niger? And what happened to our ancestors who lived around the bank of the river, whose mainstay was fishery, hunting  and...other pastoral engagements? Theyfished in the River, they bathed on the bank of the river and...they fought with the mermaid spirits of the River. 

Who received Mungo Park when he arrived? Was it spirits he met? If it is argued that Mungo Park settled alone and started life in the Igbo land, then are we all descendants of Mungo Park?

Well, we must aide our forebears to re-write our distorted history. Historical lies such as Mungo Park and the River Niger must be erased with the truth.  

Our ucommon history has been raped so severely that it requires clasified surgery (high intellectualism).

Our names were changed, our stories were re-scripted, our beliefs were condemned and our culture battered. How could our ancestors be happy hearing names like Onitsha instead of Onicha; Enugu instead of Enugwu; Owerri instead of Owere; Ibusa instead of Igbouzor; Oguta instead of Ugwuta; Awka instead of Oka. Oshimili/Orimiri instead of Osimiri and the most hurting Ibo/Ebeo/Igbos instead of Igbo/Umuigbo.

This I learnt much later in life , then the Great River Flora Nwapa talked about in EFURU made a lot of sense to me afterwards

http://igbobia.com/?q=mungo-parks-discovery-of-river-niger-and-the-silence-in-the-voice-of-ndi-igbo.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Aliyeous(m): 10:14pm On Mar 23, 2017
White man sabi do wayo now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Bowwow11(m): 10:18pm On Mar 23, 2017
hmm
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Deprince2656(m): 10:25pm On Mar 23, 2017
Who discovered Mungo park?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by sonofspada(m): 10:44pm On Mar 23, 2017
Nigerian history is a bunch of lies agreed upon undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by DozieInc(m): 10:52pm On Mar 23, 2017
Interesting.
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by jjbest123(m): 10:52pm On Mar 23, 2017
The Error Has Been Made And No Correction Can Be Made Now
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Ojiofor: 11:00pm On Mar 23, 2017
Mungo Park discovered River Niger for Imperialist Europeans not for the locals who dwell there already for centuries before his arrival.

8 Likes

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by EnkayDezign: 12:28am On Mar 24, 2017
Aliyeous:
White man sabi do wayo now

No mind dem. Dey wan claim the whole world for themselves, but seriously, haven't we Africans been played for too long?

1 Like

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Vickiweezy(m): 2:35am On Mar 24, 2017
Shey you wan discover mungo park?
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by ImperialYoruba: 4:46am On Mar 24, 2017
Ignoland was discovered by Mungo Park.
He was a paid agent of Royal Niger Company, what we now call corporate sponsorship. This explains where Royal Niger Company got its name and why they owned Iboland.

In 1905 Iboland was not a protectorate or colony, it was a commercial property of RNC. Southern Protectorate paid some hundred pounds and purchased Iboland from RNC. So that 1906 you became part of the merger of Lagos Colony, Niger Oil Protectorates with the new name Southern Protectorates.

Would you like to hear more?
Archives dey here by my side, I go begin dig they pull out your shame one by one. No vex me this morning o. angry

1 Like

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by auggie340(f): 5:27am On Mar 24, 2017
sure now...he couldn't have discovered smtin already in use by our forebears....He can only claim that he named the river
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by folem: 6:18am On Mar 24, 2017
The reason why Naija people are not explorers or care much about geography & maps or map reading. As at now, many States in Nigeria lack adequate maps for various purposes. The so-called River Niger became such when? In ancient times how many Africans knew it's origin & course? When we try to revise history to become PC we only fool ourselves. Without the advent of Europeans on our shores, it is possible the map showing the course of the River will still be unknown. From the strange shape of the River it seems two ancient rivers must have merged together .

Now for the JAMB questions:

What is the name of the first West African to complete the navigation of River Niger?

What is the name of the first man to draw the map of the course of River Niger?

What is the name of the person that started the use of the name Niger River?

2 Likes

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Justuceleague2: 7:57am On Mar 24, 2017
Discovery credited to Mungo Park is because he was an Explorer

Every part of the world was inhabited same as the whites, only that in Africa we were busy hunting, warring, eating, killing, witch hunting each other
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Aliyeous(m): 8:05am On Mar 24, 2017
EnkayDezign:

No mind dem. Dey wan claim the whole world for themselves, but seriously, haven't we Africans been played for too long?
honestly we have, but wat hav we done. We have made ethnicity religious sentiments politics cum btw us. We hav only ourslves 2 blame

1 Like

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Davidflight: 10:20am On Mar 24, 2017
ImperialYoruba:
He was a paid agent of Royal Niger Company, what we now call corporate sponsorship. This explains where Royal Niger Company got its name and why they owned Iboland.

In 1905 Iboland was not a protectorate or colony, it was a commercial property of RNC. Southern Protectorate paid some hundred pounds and purchased Iboland from RNC. So that 1906 you became part of the merger of Lagos Colony, Niger Oil Protectorates with the new name Southern Protectorates.

Archives dey here by my side, I go begin dig they pull out your shame one by one. No vex me this morning o. angry

First, you don't rubbish Igbo identity by addressing it as Ibo. well, that speaks of your ignorance of pre-oconial history.

Second, look up the word DISCOVERY in the dictionary. For the excuse of your inability to comprehend lexical construction, I will explain.

Discovery means to find. Now, before you could discover sth it must have been lost or never existed.

How does reason appeal to the expression that Igbo people were discovered? just reason yourself.
If anything, Mungo Park was the first British to visit the Igbo people or their River Niger.

1 Like

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by obailala(m): 12:09pm On Mar 24, 2017
Youngadvocate:
INTRODUCTION:

They will teach you that a white man called Mungo Park discovered River Niger. That is rubbish!

Our people fished in the Niger long before Mungo Park’s grandfather was born. But in your exam, write that it was Mungo Park,” says Odenigbo (Half a Yellow Sun).
Note: We must decolonise our minds, culture, history and education so that in future, school children in Igboland and Africa will be taught that our own ancestors discovered our part of the Niger River and not some uninvited guest from Europe."

But come to think of it, how could these people possibly say Mungo Park discovered River Niger? And what happened to our ancestors who lived around the bank of the river, whose mainstay was fishery, hunting  and...other pastoral engagements? Theyfished in the River, they bathed on the bank of the river and...they fought with the mermaid spirits of the River. 

Who received Mungo Park when he arrived? Was it spirits he met? If it is argued that Mungo Park settled alone and started life in the Igbo land, then are we all descendants of Mungo Park?

Well, we must aide our forebears to re-write our distorted history. Historical lies such as Mungo Park and the River Niger must be erased with the truth.  

Our ucommon history has been raped so severely that it requires clasified surgery (high intellectualism).

Our names were changed, our stories were re-scripted, our beliefs were condemned and our culture battered. How could our ancestors be happy hearing names like Onitsha instead of Onicha; Enugu instead of Enugwu; Owerri instead of Owere; Ibusa instead of Igbouzor; Oguta instead of Ugwuta; Awka instead of Oka. Oshimili/Orimiri instead of Osimiri and the most hurting Ibo/Ebeo/Igbos instead of Igbo/Umuigbo.

This I learnt much later in life , then the Great River Flora Nwapa talked about in EFURU made a lot of sense to me afterwards

http://igbobia.com/?q=mungo-parks-discovery-of-river-niger-and-the-silence-in-the-voice-of-ndi-igbo.html
I thought the stories say he discovered the 'SOURCE' and not the river itself?.. Of course the river was there before he was born and people already knew about the river. But I guess the white men believed we didn't give a damn about the 'source' so Mungo Park traveled and traveled until he discovered the source/originating point of the great river. lipsrsealed
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Davidflight: 3:11pm On Mar 24, 2017
obailala:
I thought the stories say he discovered the 'SOURCE' and not the river itself?.. Of course the river was there before he was born and people already knew about the river. But I guess the white men believed we didn't give a damn about the 'source' so Mungo Park traveled and traveled until he discovered the source/originating point of the great river. lipsrsealed

do we then condition our history and existence on what the white men choose to believe and not believe?
And who said people had not gone to the source of the river? How were the few that accompanied him able to lead him? Oh, I have forgotten they didn't reveal to us he had a company of villagers in his tour.
All the missionaries explored the areas in the Igbo land through the leading of the villagers. They assisted them on road discovery and interpretation.

1 Like

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Dedetwo(m): 3:24pm On Mar 24, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

The above post shows Nigerian education is at all time low. Once a territory becomes a protectorate or colony, it becomes either the property of colonial masters or their representative such as the Royal Niger Company. By the 1905, most parts of what is known today as Nigeria had come under British rule except Igbo land which remains a trading partner and equal in negotiation of all communalities in trade that pass through Igbo land. It should be recall that Igbo land still remained a no-go-area to the British colonialists as the so-called Aro-British war as well as Ekukumeku were in full force in Igbo land.

1 Like

Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by folem: 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2017
Davidflight:

do we then condition our history and existence on what the white men choose to believe and not believe?
And who said people had not gone to the source of the river? How were the few that accompanied him able to lead him? Oh, I have forgotten they didn't reveal to us he had a company of villagers in his tour.
All the missionaries explored the areas in the Igbo land through the leading of the villagers. They assisted them on road discovery and interpretation.
I bet you, even today very few Africans can/will navigate the course of the River not to talk about ancient times with warring parties and extremely hostile territories. Malaria was a killer then & now even more so for Europeans with very little immunity against the disease. The rapids & waterfalls along the way were treacherous. You will have to deal with bandits too. Exploration was not for the faint hearted and there are still places waiting to be explored in Africa only if you dare. Belief in water spirits and other evil machinations is a stumbling block though.
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by obailala(m): 3:32pm On Mar 24, 2017
Davidflight:

The source of the river isn't in Nigeria firstly. Then again, knowing the particular source of the river was of no use to our forefathers (it's even of no use to me today), so even if our forefathers passed the spot everyday, they probably didn't recognise or acknowledge it as the source of the mighty river which traverses several countries. After all who the source help?

So yeah, it's possible Mungo Park (the leader of the delegation that went, others don't count unfortunately) was the first to point out and acknowledge the spot where the river originated from and he put it into record books that 'this spot' is the source of this great river that flows through several countries. Unfortunately, the first to claim a patent for an idea or a discovery remains the owner of that discovery. Even if our forefathers knew that that very spot was the source of the great Niger, they obviously did not do anything to 'register' the discovery for posterity; Mungo did that first.
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by folem: 3:37pm On Mar 24, 2017
Re: The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question by Ejanla07: 6:07pm On Mar 24, 2017
ImperialYoruba:

We yoruba muslims re imperially d dumbo of Naigeria..

We re supposed to kno River Niger crossed many states and countries from its source in Guinea to whr it empties into the Atlantic via d niger delta....

We re neither well read nor well travelled

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See What Ugwuanyi Is Doing In Enugu Because Of People Like Mynd44 / Breaking: Fayose Escaped Car Bomb In Lagos Today!!(#Fake news) / What Buhari Is Really Trying To Accomplish Using Fulani Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.