Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

LG Autonomy: NULGE Blames Governors For Non-implementation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LG Autonomy: NULGE Blames Governors For Non-implementation (266 Views)

Allow Buhari, Governors For Third Term - Oko Enya Tells NASS, Attorney-General / Charles Oko Enya: Allow Buhari, Governors For Third Term / Miyetti Allah Exonerates FG, Blames Governors For Farmers-herders Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

LG Autonomy: NULGE Blames Governors For Non-implementation by Blue3k(m): 2:21pm On Mar 25, 2017
By Dayo Adesulu

The National President, Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE), Comrade Ibrahim Kahleel has described the actions of some state governors towards the realisation of full autonomy for local governments in Nigeria as selfish, greedy and a major impediment.

Comrade Kahleel, who made this claim recently at a media briefing in Lagos lamented that while the nation’s constitution was clear and unequivocal on the need for a full autonomy for the local governments, state governors had continued to act against the constitution by paralysing local governance in the country.

He disclosed that the Union had flagged off a campaign in six geo-political parts of the country as a way of sensitising Nigerians to the imperative of having an autonomous local government and it’s inherent benefits.

He said: “The state governors have been a major impediment to local government autonomy just because of their selfish interests.“ The resources of the local governments that should have been harnessed to develop these communities are being hijacked by the state governments; a Development that has hindered the growth and development of the local communities.

What we are saying in this campaign is that the local government should be given full autonomy to enable the people really enjoy the dividends of democracy since they are closest to the people,” he stated.

The NULGE boss however disclosed that the Union had tabled its inputs on the floor of the national assembly, on the ongoing constitution reform, part of which is the removal of the state and local government joint account provision, to make local government administratively autonomous.

“We are also advocating for the establishment of the Office of the Auditor General for Local Government to ensure transparency in the fiscal activities of this tier of government,” he added.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/lg-autonomy-nulge-blames-governors-non-implementation/
Re: LG Autonomy: NULGE Blames Governors For Non-implementation by Blue3k(m): 2:36pm On Mar 25, 2017
I agree with decentralisation of powers. In good old USA the Federal Government not that important in day to day life most services and rules are state and local issues. The local governments should be administration should be autonomous. The local tier of government on federal system is closest but often overlooked in importance.

The projects people jump up and down over in this forum like footbridges in Lagos could just as easy be handled by local government if the had funds. They would also be more responsive to day to day issues like roads, lights. I know this section that's always flooded in Uyo every time I go their.

I talked to one LG chairman in Nigeria a few years ago. He was cool guy but they way he described issue it seems his hands are tied. Examples being street lights seen to be state issue instead of local. This contrast with Mayor I met in Texas who told us about his job while lecturing class. He said most of the million dollars budget goes towards police and fire fighters along with other local issues.

Last thing I noticed is there a not any transparency in state or local affairs. We moan about federal curruption bit ignore the state and local government who don't seen to publish any budgets. If we dig we'll probably be shocked what we find.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Safety Of Lagos Non-negotiable, Says Ambode / Ali-modu Sheriff Playing The "I Disagree With You" Card To The Fullest Y Or N? / Poll Bribe Saga: INEC Sends 70 Staff Back To EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.