Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,910 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste (20633 Views)

Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It / St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG / Black Friday At Ibadan Shoprite: Customers Take Canned Drinks, Ate Packaged Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Truth234(m): 4:13am On Mar 28, 2017
The federal government, though the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, yesterday banned the importation of tomato paste, powder or concentrate, and increased the tariff on importation of tomato concentrate among others from five to 50 per cent in order to revive the tomato sector.

According to operators, the value of imported tomato paste in Nigeria is about $170 million and $50 million spent on triple tomato concentrate.

In a document obtained yesterday from the Federal Ministry of Industry and trade and investment titled: ‘Implementation of the tomato sector policy’ which was signed by the Director, Industry Development of the ministry, Mr. Adewale Bakare, stated that such action would revive the sector, create jobs and preserve foreign exchange.

The document stated: “As you are aware, government has overtime engaged tomato industry stakeholders on ways to deepen the industry and particularly, encourage the use of locally produced tomato fruits across the value chain. It is in that regard that I am directed to bring to your notice the decision of the government towards boosting production and attracting investments into the tomato sector.

“These include ‘classification of greenhouse equipment as agricultural equipment to attract zero per cent import duty. Ban on the importation of tomato paste, powder or concentrate put up for retailing and others Ban on tomato prepared or preserved by vinegar or acetic acid and others.

“Increase in the tariff on the tomato concentrate and other concentrates (HS Code 2002.90.11.000) from five percent to 50 percent and additional levy of $1,500 per metric tons with the objective of increasing the current tariff from five percent to 50 percent (35percent +5 percent+10 percent) and an additional levy of US$1,500 metric ton. Restriction on the importation of tomato concentrates to the seaports to address abuse of ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation scheme (ETLS) and inclusion of tomato production and processing in the list of industries eligible for investment incentives administered by the Nigeria Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC).”

It further stated that “It is expected that the foregoing measures which are situated within the overall road map for the development of the industry, will create jobs, save foreign exchange and create capacity for export of tomato concentrate and paste to ECOWAS sub –region and beyond.”

http://investorsking.com/fg-bans-importation-of-packaged-tomato-paste/

14 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by jjbest123(m): 4:42am On Mar 28, 2017
Hope We Have A Tomato Factory To Meet Local Demand

14 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Truth234(m): 4:50am On Mar 28, 2017
jjbest123:
Hope We Have A Tomato Factory To Meet Local Demand

Dangote, Erisco, etc but I hope their quality is the same with their foreign counterparts.

11 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by jjbest123(m): 4:51am On Mar 28, 2017
Truth234:

Dangote, Erisco, etc but I hope their quality is the same with their foreign counterparts.
Hope The Meet Up With Demand, Quality Is What We Need

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by femolacqua(m): 4:57am On Mar 28, 2017
It's a nice development, but I hope we do have a plan? ( Exporting rather than importing)

9 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by benuejosh: 5:34am On Mar 28, 2017
Hope Erisco has relocated to China like he said? let's see how he's going to sell his tomato paste in Nigeria.

26 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by profhezekiah: 5:37am On Mar 28, 2017
It will be nice if it strengthened our foreign exchange
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by sinistermind(m): 5:40am On Mar 28, 2017
It's a welcomed development. Too many unknown tomato pastes flooding the market. Let's patronise our local content.

13 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by MyMouth(m): 5:47am On Mar 28, 2017
Erisco tomato paste is the best but very scarce in the market here in the north.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by wristbangle: 5:59am On Mar 28, 2017
But fresh/packaged tomatoes within the country has not sustained us enough but anyway.... kudos to FG.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Lucy001(f): 5:59am On Mar 28, 2017
grin
I hope the govt has made provison for close substitute, we dont not want shotage of tomatoes paste in the market ooo and Iya Basira increasing the amount of mama put food ooo grin

Sms vote Tboss to 32052 to save Tboss

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by InvestinOwerri(m): 6:11am On Mar 28, 2017
After frustrating erisco out of Nigeria, they are now baning its importation in order to give dangote monopoly over another important sector! They should continue!!

Btw, We have lands available for sale in different parts of Owerri. Just check my signature or contact Galaxy properties for more details.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Truth234(m): 6:14am On Mar 28, 2017
InvestinOwerri:
After frustrating erisco out of Nigeria, they are now baning its importation in order to give dangote monopoly over another important sector! They should continue!!

Erisco is still in Nigeria. Na so e easy to relocate to China?

27 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by ULSHERLAN(m): 6:36am On Mar 28, 2017
Good for local manufacturers. FG should just create a more enabling environment for them and most of all good access to FX. Nigeria will be great again

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by legendte(m): 7:35am On Mar 28, 2017
Good move
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by pwettyesther(f): 7:36am On Mar 28, 2017
Gino nko : undecided

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by diportivo: 7:36am On Mar 28, 2017
The document stated: “As you are aware, government has overtime engaged tomato industry stakeholders on ways to deepen the industry and particularly, encourage the use of locally produced tomato fruits across the value chain

Stakeholders are involved

Good move

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Chanchit: 7:39am On Mar 28, 2017
That's how they banned importation of rice that we normally buy @7,500-9000 for home grown rice that we now have to thank the government after buying substandard rice @13000. Now its tomatoe paste. No problem, I just discovered cooking jollof rice or spaghetti with correct ingredients no need tomato paste so far you don get dry pepper, before I can't do without it, and I don't need tomato to make egusi or draw soup. And to make real soup, I use real tomato. So using tomato paste now, for me, is not by force.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Nobody: 7:40am On Mar 28, 2017
Another opportunity for Dangote to become richer...
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by EazyMoh(m): 7:40am On Mar 28, 2017
My people down south, sorry o.

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by maxiuc(m): 7:40am On Mar 28, 2017
APC always making things hard for people nd you tell me thunder wouldn't roast this people

Oh my lovely PDP what really went wrong

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Hiccups: 7:40am On Mar 28, 2017
Dangote to benefit from this
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Oildichotomy(m): 7:41am On Mar 28, 2017
This is the most insensitive government Nigeria has ever had. You've not created an enabling environment for manufacturers to thrive but you find solace in banning commodities that you don't have the local capacity to produce.

This form of harsh economic ideology cannot jumpstart the mirage of eldorado those idiots in Aso Rock think will happen. You cannot put the cart before the horse and expect to move forward. Provide the electricity and necessary infrastructures to an appreciable level before all these ban. For pete sakes, you are not producing anything yet and you expect manufacturing to start out of the blues cos of some BAN.

I don't know how they think in Aso Rock. It is obvious we have some bunch of dumboes in power who thought process is far off their behind.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Nobody: 7:42am On Mar 28, 2017
more items like these are going to banned in subsequent months... it is inevitable.... FG is trying to reduce the demand for the dollar for importation.

7 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Ezedon(m): 7:43am On Mar 28, 2017
They are still making things worse
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by xynerise: 7:43am On Mar 28, 2017
Ahan! That's more like it.

I was already writing an article against Tomato paste importation

4 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Smooyis(m): 7:43am On Mar 28, 2017
Good
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 28, 2017
Lucy001:
grin

Sms vote Tboss to 32052 to save Tboss

I will rather organize and sponsor another campaign for "BUBU" rather than save "TBOOBS" angry angry

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by binsanni(m): 7:44am On Mar 28, 2017
wow nice one jor.. God will surely guide this government to the promise land

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by chamboy(m): 7:44am On Mar 28, 2017
jjbest123:
Hope The Meet Up With Demand, Quality Is What We Need
nigeria would never grow with your kind of mentality. Do you think there is good quality anywhere in the world. I have worked in production here in CA for years. All this oyinbo ppl do is hype. Their stuff is shit.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by xynerise: 7:44am On Mar 28, 2017
Ezedon:
They are still making things worse

Are you kidding me?

Do you know anything about Currency devaluation?

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 28, 2017
Finally...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics / 9 Banks Scale Cbn’s Dividend Hurdle, 4 Fail / Huawei: ARM Memo Tells Staff To Stop Working With China’s Tech Giant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.