Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

Farming for business : Ideas - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Farming for business : Ideas (20718 Views)

Best Nigerian Bank For Business Account / 25 Small Scale Business Ideas In Nigeria / Farming For Export (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 10:51am On Nov 15, 2012
[b][/b]
Farming , who does the hard work? who get more value of it? they are a lot of farmers in the country who are into farming , there do they hard work but smile to the bank with a little profit margin(.if the smile at all) Along the chain there are middle men who applied little effort by bring the produces from the villages , they also smile to the bank with a better profit margin than the farmers . Another group just take the farm produces and add value to it, and smile a big deal to the bank with the biggest profit margin, this group has the tendency to even influence the prices of the what the farmers produces.
The idea, here is adding value to the whatever the farmers produces from chicken to the yam to the grains. If you take chicken and put it in the process flow, the price for a live chicken is not the same as an packaged branded frozen chicken. Take corn , but process the corn and you can make custard, starch, flour, corn flakes, semovita , biscuits etc and who makes more money ofcourse not the farmers.
In this thread I will bring to light farm produces that you can add value to, the technology behind it, the machines needed, how to start as an entrepreneur ,or SME, the strategy to use and the challenges , government policies behind it and off course where you can source your basic raw materials.
In the next posting I will take Yam for a case study , show you the technology , how to package it , and off course the machine needed, I will bring to the table the cheapest method of setting up a mini factory that process and package yam flour. The market and the likely challenges you will encounter.

2 Likes

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by wonderiyke(m): 11:55am On Nov 15, 2012
@OP: This is going to be interesting. I'm so looking forward to the expo....well done!!!
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 1:24pm On Nov 16, 2012
wonderiyke: @OP: This is going to be interesting. I'm so looking forward to the expo....well done!!!
thanks wonderiyke

How to process yam into yam flour used as pounded yam

Pound yam is eaten in every state in the country, Nigerian aboard also enjoy this meal, but come to think of it, the energy that goes into preparing pounding yams is not for weakling, in some places the ladies do the cooking while the men do the pounding , while in some places the women do the cooking and the pounding ( no be small work )So if you go into Yam flour processing and packing you are actually selling convenient and time to your consumers, you saving time to do the pounding and the energy. So package yam flour that will be ready in 5-10 minutes.
The basic raw material needed for this venture is yam and we have abundant in Nigeria, the good news is that Nigeria is the largest producers of yam in the World. A lot of states plant yam, some in commercial quantities while other in small quantities. States like Niger Benue, kogi, Abuja Anambra, Cross river, all have in commercial quantities, however it is important to note that is not all type of yams specie that is used for yam flour .
The technology behind yam flour is simple

Sorting and Peeling:
This is the first step in yam flour process, you have to sort the yam out, some tubers could be rotten or even different species from what you order, so you have to be careful at this stage. Peeling is the next step after sorting, this can be done manually with kitchen knives, but if you have the money there is a machines that peels .
Washing :
After peeling, you are required to wash the peel yam in water to remove sand and dirt
Boiling:
After washing the tubers are slice into different sizes and boiled with a boiler to a certain level, expertise is very much required at this stage, for an entrepreneur you could start with a local fabricate boiler, it actually comes in different sizes , you can get the smallest between N350,000 to N450,000 depending on where you resides.
Dry
After boiling, the yam is sieved and dry with a dryer to certain moisture level. The dryer can also be fabricated locally, the prices depends on the size you want.
Milling
After drying to a certain moisture level the yam will be milled into flour, there are different milling machines in the market, but according to NAFDAC regulation the milling machine must be made of stainless steel, this is to avoid rusting of the metal. This you can get for between N75, 000 to N120, 000 depending on the thickness of stainless steel used.

Fortifying:
There are certain vitamins that are required to be added to your yam flour , this vitamins are regulated by NAFDAC . You will need a mixer to get this done, you can get a local fabricated mixer depending on the on the number of bags it can mix per time you can get the smallest from N250,000 to N450,000.
Packaging :
This is the final stage, you need a packaging machine for flour, which comes in different sizes ranging from N2,500,000 to N6,000,000 this depending on the numbers of packs packaging per minute, However as a young entrepreneur who wants to starts packaging yam flour you could get a semi sealing machine that you will used for sealing , these machines goes for N70,000 to N150,000 , when you have grown with large order you can then buy the packaging as demands increases.

NAFDAC
NAFDAC is the regulating government agencies that regulation your operation, so you must maintain their standards . they are they as a watch dog

6 Likes

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by wonderiyke(m): 10:23pm On Nov 16, 2012
Quite informative!Can't wait for the next piece...
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by makinde3: 9:14am On Nov 18, 2012
Interesting
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by Egomah(m): 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
Inspiring. But above my budget for now. ΨђåƮ kind of vitamins ɑяε̲ added τ̲̅ø̲̣ this recipe?
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 10:30pm On Nov 18, 2012
wonderiyke: Quite informative!Can't wait for the next piece...
thanks wonderiyke
makinde3: Interesting
thank for reading
Egomah: Inspiring. But above my budget for now. ΨђåƮ kind of vitamins ɑяε̲ added τ̲̅ø̲̣ this recipe?

Bros, i dont how much your budget is, but there is always a starting point so of these process could outsource and there is a process that you can used to get things done for you. the vitamins will be include in your feasibility study when you order for one .
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 11:19pm On Nov 18, 2012
Processing Potatoes into Flour
Food processing is the industry for the NOW and the FUTURE particularly in a country where the relevant raw materials are in abundant.
Let me state here that you don’t need a million naira to start in food processing , you could outsource some of the operation. Moreover you can always start small but think big as demand increases machines changes, there are also innovative ways to raise capital and to market your product.

A lot of people wouldn’t touch anything with high semolina content( high in starch ) some the reasons are because of health condition ( diabetic and weight issues )So they go for wheat meals when they need to swallow but they is a substitute that a lot of people can talk into consideration . it is processing potatoes into flour . Based on the last feasibility study I did, there are only two companies processing potatoes into flour in Nigeria.
The process of processing potatoes into flour is the same method you used in processing yam into flour. The machines required in processing yam into flour is also the same machines required to process potatoes into flour. Therefore you can do yam flour and potatoes flour in one industry . So please read the process of yam again and you will get that of processing potatoes into flour

It is festive season and one of thing on the dining table will be Rice and chicken, on my next post I will show you how to make money from chicken even through you don’t have a poultry farm.
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by makinde3: 12:10am On Nov 19, 2012
iniobong888: Processing Potatoes into Flour
Food processing is the industry for the NOW and the FUTURE particularly in a country where the relevant raw materials are in abundant.
Let me state here that you don’t need a million naira to start in food processing , you could outsource some of the operation. Moreover you can always start small but think big as demand increases machines changes, there are also innovative ways to raise capital and to market your product.

A lot of people wouldn’t touch anything with high semolina content( high in starch ) some the reasons are because of health condition ( diabetic and weight issues )So they go for wheat meals when they need to swallow but they is a substitute that a lot of people can talk into consideration . it is processing potatoes into flour . Based on the last feasibility study I did, there are only two companies processing potatoes into flour in Nigeria.
The process of processing potatoes into flour is the same method you used in processing yam into flour. The machines required in processing yam into flour is also the same machines required to process potatoes into flour. Therefore you can do yam flour and potatoes flour in one industry . So please read the process of yam again and you will get that of processing potatoes into flour

It is festive season and one of thing on the dining table will be Rice and chicken, on my next post I will show you how to make money from chicken even through you don’t have a poultry farm.

Is it okay for me to have a copy of your feaspbility study on yam and potatoes processing? email makinde3@yahoo.com
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 2:46am On Nov 19, 2012
makinde3:

Is it okay for me to have a copy of your feaspbility study on yam and potatoes processing? email makinde3@yahoo.com
i have send you a mail about the feasibility study, thanks
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 9:59am On Nov 19, 2012
Making money off the poultry farmers
As the festivity period draws nearer, you can make money for yourself by tapping into supplying frozen chicken to supermarket from poultry farmers, it cost more to buy a frozen chicken than to buy a life chicken .
Scan around your neighborhood for a supermarket that sells frozen chicken get to negotiate with them about supplying chicken. Find out how much they will buy from is by weight or by size.
The next step is to find a poultry farmer and buy the life chicken from him to supply to the supermarket. Let assume you buy life from the poultry farmer at N1200 and you get to sell to the supermarket at N1500 you can even give the supermarket by weight that makes you more money at the end of the day. Some older layer weigh more and if you can negotiate well, you can get it for a price that that will make you a nice profit at the end of the day.
your is to be the middle person but you have to add value to the chicken by dressing it up and supplying it to the supermarket , their refrigerator will do the freezing .
If you are very close to the poultry farmer you can get this done without putting a dime on ground but you should be honest about this as you will pay as soon as the supermarket pays you

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by Humanbeans(m): 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nice thread, Ini.
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by Ialwaysask: 6:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
What other agricultural processing have you conducted a feasibilty study for?[size=18pt][/size]
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 7:25pm On Nov 19, 2012
Ialwaysask: What other agricultural processing have you conducted a feasibility study for?[size=18pt][/size]
please can you send me a mail on the agricultural produces that you want.

Humanbeans: Nice thread, Ini.
thanks man

the next thread i will be looking how to take advantage of the seasons to make money
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 2:09pm On Nov 20, 2012
It is interesting to know that we have abundant food in this country and yet people still die of hunger in the mist of plenty. If you take a visit to some agrarian communities you will be shocked at their level of commitment towards farming. During this period the harvest period, you can buy these products next to nothing if you are buying from the farm.
However, it is quite sad to know that 30% to 40% of this farm produces are wasted especially perishable product. This on its own is a business idea that can be exploited, but we will live that for another day post .
So how do you take advantage of this season, this is however the harvest season. When the ordinary is transformed by agriculture, who can say it is a profession only for the rural people or the aged citizen. You could buy these agric products and sell in bulk or retails it , selling in bulk gives you a faster turnover, but retailing it gives you more profit , if you add some innovative into. At these period there are abundant of farm products here in the North at a very cheap price. You have abundant of these resources, take a look at some of the prices, a tuber of yam going from N75 a tuber to N150 a tuber, Irish potatoes going for N13,000 to N15,000 depending on the sizes of the bag. Sweet potatoes going for N 3,500 to N5000 it also depends on the size of the bag, Onions goes for N17,000 to N20,000 , fresh pepper goes for N2,500 for a bag, you have beans , Groundnut going for N8,500 a bag of N80kg .
Check out how you can turn N100,000 into N200,000 in one month
Assuming we are using Irish potatoes, Onions and yam
1.Buy a bag of irish potatoes for N13,500 and sell in Lagos( Port Harcourt and anywhere in Nigeria except in the northern part of the country ) for N20,000 make a gross profit of N6,500(assume u bought 3bags gross profit is N19,500)
2. Buy 200 tubers of yam for N75 a tuber that is N15,000 and sell in Lagos( Port- Harcourt and anywhere in Nigeria except in the northern part of the country ) for N200 a tuber , make a gross profit of N125(from the tuber you will make N25,000)
3. Buy a bag of onions for N17,000 and sell in Lagos( Port- Harcourt and anywhere in Nigeria except in the northern part of the country ) for 25,500 make a gross profit of 8,000(assuming you bought 2 bags gross profit is 24,000)
Assuming that you bought 3 bags of Irish potatoes and 2 bags of onions and N15,000 worth of yam, you would have spent N97,000 with transportation and made a gross profit of N68,500 if you make 4 turnover in a month you will click a total gross of N253,000.
if you retailing you can make more than this in a month.
[img][/img]

It is important to note that if you are retailing and you add innovation to your packaging, you will make more than some one selling in bulk , the supermarket, the shop and even hotel will buy directly from you . you can used mesh bags to package your Irish potatoes and onion as show in the picture below, see the attachment below

1 Like

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by Pola1(m): 9:50pm On Nov 20, 2012
iniobong888: Processing Potatoes into Flour

pls i'm interestd in dis biz.can u snd me a mail of a list of d feasibility study of various farm produces u av n wat it takes 2 get any i may choose,my mail address is-peteruonline@yahoo.com
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by mrbinson(m): 12:16am On Nov 21, 2012
Sir, your post has re-ignited an idea I once had. Its about corn but this time around, corn storage and not the processing. I'll so much appreciate it if you can email me on...for
1. Best maize storage varieties and methods (southwestern Nig.)
2. Storage equipments
3. Feasibility study on maize storage
4. Any material(word or pdf) you have/can get on maize storage.
Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by chinosxl(m): 1:36am On Nov 21, 2012
OP, ur brilliant. We need more nairalanders like u. Keep up the good work.
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 8:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
sorry people i had been away, During the weekend i will be looking at taking a slice of the Suya market in a well package from . dont get me wrong i wont be asking you to join aboki to roast meat far from it. just keep a date with me and get the real info
chinosxl: OP, ur brilliant. We need more nairalanders like u. Keep up the good work.
thanks
mr_binson: Sir, your post has re-ignited an idea I once had. Its about corn but this time around, corn storage and not the processing. I'll so much appreciate it if you can email me on oluwatobiajao@gmail.com for
2. Storage equipments
Thanks so much
During the weekend we will exchange correspondence
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 2:15pm On Jan 03, 2013
I want to say a big thank you for all who took time to read my thread and those that responded , I couldn’t have continued if I didn’t know you are reading, thank you for helping be a blessing in a little way, I have been and thanks for the encouragement.
As we unfold 2013, there are numerous opportunities in the agric-value business that you can be take advantage of . As you consider the numerous opportunities in the agric-value, try to bring innovation into play, the uniqueness about your product will make you smile to the bank faster. It could be a change in packaging, a change in flavor or adding some other nutrients to make it better. If you have to copied people add a little change, yes everyone is packaging pure water why don’t you package favour water , it is different ofcourse, it is the same packaging machine .
All right back to the topic of the day. Take a stroll to the suya joint an ask a mallam that you want Kilishi , it is a type of suya it is quite tasty and it is a has a way of connecting the dots, especially if you talk it with a favorite drink that man, is the real bomb . it’s processing is different from the other type of suya and mind you is very few suya joints that have special suya. If you want to give someone a treat with kilishi be ready to dole out some few thousand box . It is interesting to learn that it doesn’t come cheap as compared to other suya.
My aim of writing is not to school you on becoming a suya mallam or something, but to grip the opportunities that come with these venture. If you are not staying in the North then you can catch on the opportunities of supplying supermarkets and shops in highbrow areas and make for yourself other source of income quietly.
kilishi has a shelf life of 3 months provided it is kept in a dry and duty free condition. To package this products in a way that attracts customers you must bring an out of box thinking into play. You don’t need much to get this done. With transparent plastic container you can pack the kilishi inside and brand it and you are good to go.
They supply will always be coming from the North where it is cheaper and yours will be to take of the packaging and the marketing. It is a business that N20,000 can start and of course you will have a gross profit of N400-N500 for every N1000 invested depending on your marketing environment and your branding.

Below are pixs of kilishi been processed

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by Egomah(m): 10:16am On Jan 04, 2013
Good morning and happy new year to everyone, thanks Op for your inspiration. I am thinking of establishing a contact in the north for supply of yams, potato and onion. Can you link me with the sellers? My email is vivalopezy@yahoo.com
Thanks
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by monopolist: 1:39pm On Jan 04, 2013
Iniobong888

You are blessed and highly favoured in JESUS CHRIST name. Amen.

Please I need feasibility report on Plantain flour, Corn flour, Cassava flour, Yam flour, Sweet Potatoe flour, wheat flour, Beans flour, Semolina flour, and any other flour that man can eat.

Can the same Stainless Steel Mill grind 5 or all of the above listed flour?

Please I need full details of NAFDAC Flour Mill requirement for a Small & Medium Scale Flour Mill.

I will be expecting your mail this weekend.

Thank you greatly

Best Regards,
Olusola
kingolusola@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by respectment(m): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2013
I would like someone to please give me some information on how I can make money from plantain and Palm oil business as a Student, Email me @ respectment@yahoo.com
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by pipiwindsor: 2:35am On Jan 05, 2013
Hi Iniobong----Can you send me your email address and number to pipiwindsor@hotmail.com.Great opportunity to discuss with you
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by JamiuO: 4:51pm On Jan 05, 2013
mr_binson: Sir, your post has re-ignited an idea I once had. Its about corn but this time around, corn storage and not the processing. I'll so much appreciate it if you can email me on oluwatobiajao@gmail.com for
2. Storage equipments
Thanks so much

I am also interested in maize storage.I will appreciate if you can send to me the information requested by Mr_binson.
My email is jabusky2000@yahoo.co.uk.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by schoolsinabuja: 2:51pm On Jan 07, 2013
happy new year Ini. I must commend u for a nice job well done. May the good Lord continue to bless you. I need to discuss some business with you. i will be very grateful if i can have your e mail and possibly number on my mail box: saint_emma@yahoo.com. i am waiting for the details, i think its urgent. Thanks and keep up with the good work u ve started.
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2013
pipiwindsor: Hi Iniobong----Can you send me your email address and number to pipiwindsor@hotmail.com.Great opportunity to discuss with you
hi
i am sorry , i think you email is incorrect because i keep getting error after sending in an email twice so email me on iniobong4solution@gmail.com thanks
respectment:
it would be hard to make a choice for you among the two items as i cant determine which school you are and what is needed mostly around your location si if you could send in a mail(iniobong4soution) i would be of help. thanks [quote author=monopolist]Iniobong888

You are blessed and highly favoured in JESUS CHRIST name. Amen.

Please I need feasibility report on Plantain flour, Corn flour, Cassava flour, Yam flour, Sweet Potatoe flour, wheat flour, Beans flour, Semolina flour, and any other flour that man can eat.

Can the same Stainless Steel Mill grind 5 or all of the above listed flour?

Please I need full details of NAFDAC Flour Mill requirement for a Small & Medium Scale Flour Mill.

I will be expecting your mail this weekend.

Thank you greatly

Best Regards,
Olusola
kingolusola@gmail.com
Happy new year , i have send in a reply thanks
schoolsinabuja: happy new year Ini. I must commend u for a nice job well done. May the good Lord continue to bless you. I need to discuss some business with you. i will be very grateful if i can have your e mail and possibly number on my mail box: saint_emma@yahoo.com. i am waiting for the details, i think its urgent. Thanks and keep up with the good work u ve started.
[quote author=schoolsinabuja]happy new year Ini.
i reply your mail. thanks

Making money from maize (Corn)
Maize is one of the important crops of Nigeria and has a great potential of processing due to its high nutritive value and many commercial uses. Maize (also known as corn) is a common name for a cereal grass widely grown for food and livestock fodder. Every state in the country has the potential to farm maize. it is one farm produce that answers Nigeria grin to all states but majority of the commercial quantity comes from the Northern and middle belt region of the country. The commercial uses of maize are numerous Maize ranks with wheat and rice as one of the world’s chief grain crops.
Uses of maize
1. It can be cooked
2. It can be fried (pop corn)
3. Snack : corn flakes
4. Corn meal
5. It can be processed into flour that is used for
a) bread
b) Biscuits
c) Meals such as Semovita, semolina
d) Snacks
e) Baby food
f) Used as binder in food meals
6. It can be used for starch
a) Industrial starch
b) Food starch and custard( one of these days i will give details on Custard),
7. It is used in cosmetics and in the pharmaceutical industry
8. Maize starch can be to produce syrups, particularly high-fructose corn syrup, a sweetener
9. For livestock uses (feeds )
10. Corn syrup is used as a sweetener instead of sugar in thousands of products, including soda, candy, cookies and bread.
How to make money from corn
1.You can start to supply corn or corn products( corn flour , corn starch ) to companies that have need.
2. You can store corn for future uses or future gains, e.g. during the harvest season you can get a bag of corn for N3,000 in North or middle belt , during planting season the prices rises up to N8,000 to N12,000 depending on the type of corn, it might also interest you to note that the storage facilitate is as cheap as N2,000 a month depending on the village
3. Processing Corn into Custard, there are opportunities in custard production that are not exploited( I will demystify) this one of these days
4. you can go into farming corn

4 Likes

Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 12:35pm On Jan 10, 2013
making money from baking
Men she can bake , there is always snacks when ever i visit , meat-pie on monday , doughnut on tuesadays and egg-roll on friday. So i thought she can used this skill to make money for her self how ? here is an idea you have schools around you and kids go to school with snacks or food. so serve the parent the time to cook or get snacks for their kids , go to the school arrange to be supply snacks and drinks for the kids at moderate price. this will run Mondays through Fridays, so you will be giving a snacks drink, and ofcourse some fruits to make it balance. with so doing you will also have their parents as your client and then your bank account will be busy . don't forget to send my consultation fee
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by kunlekunle: 3:40pm On Jan 10, 2013
Iniobong888

kindly mail me the report also
canonbj66@gmail.com
thanks
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 5:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
kunlekunle: Iniobong888

kindly mail me the report also
canonbj66@gmail.com
thanks

hi, please which report are referring to ?
Re: Farming for business : Ideas by iniobong888(m): 7:36pm On Jan 15, 2013
Garri No get Advert, but E sell past indomie,
Garri is one food that is eaten everywhere in the country and other west African countries. Africans in Diaspora also take garri. Garri can be eaten as eba with a delicious African soup ( edikan ikong , afang, egusi, orko, etc) Most energizing is a meal of garri with beans or garri with coconut or Akara (beans cake) garri with smoked fish is another meal that has a language of its own.
One can go into package garri for eba or for drinking (soaked in water and eaten with spoon) . The write here will focus on how to package garri especially for drinking with the required nutrients that makes drinking garri a pleasure. We understand that when we went to drink garri condiment like milk and sugar is added to the garri to make it taste fine. So if one is going into packaging garri serious consideration should be given to make it different form the one that we buy from the market. One can decide to add sugar and milk to it even you can also add groundnut to make it richer, the groundnut added will be in powder form to make it get the protein balance. You can also decide to enrich your garri with dehydrate coconut flakes , this will give your garri a different flavor and of course you could have it in different flavors .
the market for garri is national. With a population of more than 140 million people , Soaked garri is one food that will answers presents in every house hold in Nigeria wither rich or poor , it could be customized as baby(from 1 year old) food.

call if you need more details it

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Six Silly Mistakes Business Owners Do / I Need Your Advise On A Business To Start With 10k? / Poor Handling Of A Fraud Case By UBA Plc: An Open Letter Of Complaint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.