Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,653 members, 7,823,848 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste (20643 Views)

Why Dangote Closed His Tomato Factory And Lessons You Can Learn From It / St. Louis, Other Foreign Packaged Sugar Brands Remains Banned In Nigeria – FG / Black Friday At Ibadan Shoprite: Customers Take Canned Drinks, Ate Packaged Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by megama: 8:55am On Mar 28, 2017
jjbest123:
Hope We Have A Tomato Factory To Meet Local Demand
eat fresh tomato
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by eph12(m): 8:55am On Mar 28, 2017
obailala:
Well, cost of productjon will definitely be higher, remember we have no light, poor transportation, poor govt policy, high interest rates etc. But that's the reason why the locally produced goods are more expensive than the imported counterparts. But then, we have to staty from somewhere.
Wow! Starting from somewhere would be fixing electricity, road/rail, interest rates etc and not adding to the already existing problems.

Everyone knows that as soon as it becomes cheaper to produce internally, importation will die a natural death. You don't need to be told this.

But it's all good. We are watching and observing. Hope it does not end up like rice.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by eph12(m): 8:59am On Mar 28, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

Most of those foreign foods we consume affect us indirectly, Do you know what they use in production over there? we see the plastic rice and other stuffs.. Importation should be BAN to give local production more power..
I'm being pressed to question your age but what good will that do? Take your trolling elsewhere please and stop saying nonsense.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by DoyenExchange: 9:00am On Mar 28, 2017
Over 50 Small and Big Businesses You Can Do In Nigeria With Their Cost Estimates

Do you know that there are big and small businesses you can start in Nigeria that will not put holes in your pockets? They are every day businesses you never think that they will make you a millionaire. www.doyenexchange.com/invest_opps.php contains a list of over 50 businesses you can start immediately in Nigeria and their cost estimates.

You will be amazed!
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Rayd502(m): 9:01am On Mar 28, 2017
Chanchit:
That's how they banned importation of rice that we normally buy @7,500-9000 for home grown rice that we now have to thank the government after buying substandard rice @13000. Now its tomatoe paste. No problem, I just discovered cooking jollof rice or spaghetti with correct ingredients no need tomato paste so far you don get dry pepper, before I can't do without it, and I don't need tomato to make egusi or draw soup. And to make real soup, I use real tomato. So using tomato paste now, for me, is not by force.
Teach me pls...
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Abagworo(m): 9:01am On Mar 28, 2017
Very great decision. After the success of cassava and rice comes tomato. Gradually we shall get there.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 9:03am On Mar 28, 2017
jjbest123:
What Are Trying To Prove Until You Stop Eating Tin- Tomatoe You Can The Quote Me

I hardly eat tin tomato, Maybe once in 6 month and my wife dare not put it in my food..
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by ubyways(m): 9:04am On Mar 28, 2017
dukeolumde:
Another opportunity for Dangote to become richer...
This is a big opportunity for u to flourish, take that bold step and stop seating idly while blaming dangote
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by wellmax(m): 9:06am On Mar 28, 2017
Oildichotomy:
This is the most insensitive government Nigeria has ever had. You've not created an enabling environment for manufacturers to thrive but you find solace in banning commodities that you don't have the local capacity to produce.

This form of harsh economic ideology cannot jumpstart the mirage of eldorado those idiots in Aso Rock think will happen. You cannot put the cart before the horse and expect to move forward. Provide the electricity and necessary infrastructures to an appreciable level before all these ban. For pete sakes, you are not producing anything yet and you expect manufacturing to start out of the blues cos of some BAN.

I don't know how they think in Aso Rock. It is obvious we have some bunch of dumboes in power who thought process is far off their behind.

This is the most insensitive and ignorant comment I have read so far. How do you create enabling environment when the market is flooded with imported tomato paste?
Some idiots will just open their mouth and spew thrash.
Do you understand the economy, economics principles and the nature of developing nation’s economy at all?
Take your baseless rant elsewhere. Even Fayose knows when to commend the government.
Yeyerity
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 9:06am On Mar 28, 2017
eph12:

I'm being pressed to question your age but what good will that do? Take your trolling elsewhere please and stop saying nonsense.

Oh... your importation Business is being deal with by Ali i guess hahaha, BAN of importation should be our priority so we can develop ourself locally..
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by oyienootieno: 9:08am On Mar 28, 2017
Let them ban oxygen sef.... God will save His own....
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by wellmax(m): 9:10am On Mar 28, 2017
Nackzy:
[s]Brainless leaders, how many tomato factories do we have in Nigeria?..... If u weren't brainless u would taken care of that first ...nigeria is known for their substanded product, do we have competent regulatory agencies to check mate its operations[/s]

Brainless nitwit, if you don't know the tomato factories in Nigeria, why not do a little Google search.
'How do the existing firms survive or improve production with the still competition of imported products.
How do we as a nation grow, if we so depend on importation.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by pat077: 9:10am On Mar 28, 2017
Abagworo:
Very great decision. After the success of cassava and rice comes tomato. Gradually we shall get there.
what success in cassava
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by oyienootieno: 9:10am On Mar 28, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

Oh... your importation Business is being deal with by Ali i guess hahaha, BAN of importation should be our priority so we can develop ourself locally..

Yes we have to develop our own.. but before you insult a soldier that just punish you, make sure you are at the boarder of another country.. you have to put things in place first before you ban..
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by obailala(m): 9:10am On Mar 28, 2017
eph12:

Wow! Starting from somewhere would be fixing electricity, road/rail, interest rates etc and not adding to the already existing problems.

Everyone knows that as soon as it becomes cheaper to produce internally, importation will die a natural death. You don't need to be told this.

But it's all good. We are watching and observing. Hope it does not end up like rice.
If we didnt start frim somewhere, Nigeria would still be importing cement today. And it's because we didnt think we could syary from somewhere, that's why Nigeria shamefully imports 100% of the fuel it uses; something which wasnt the case 20 years ago when I reckon we also didnt have light or good roads.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by eph12(m): 9:13am On Mar 28, 2017
obailala:
If we didnt start frim somewhere, Nigeria would still be importing cement today. And it's because we didnt think we could syary from somewhere, that's why Nigeria shamefully imports 100% of the fuel it uses; something which wasnt the case 20 years ago when I reckon we also didnt have light or good roads.
We both agree on starting from somewhere bro. We don't just agree on where and how.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by kcprince: 9:14am On Mar 28, 2017
Most tomato paste company in Nigeria import tomato concentrate except dangote.

Increasing the duty to 50% for tomato concentrate is an indirect way of giving dangote monopoly. At least they would have just left the duty at 5% in order to keep making importation of tomatoes concentrate and packaging them into tomato paste viable.

Nigeria does not produce enough tomato for local consumption and people substitute local tomato with the tomato paste which make it seem as if we produce enough.

I see tomato price going up in the next week's. I also see a new business opportunity for smugglers too. I also see people finding an alternative to tomato once tomato season is over.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 9:27am On Mar 28, 2017
oyienootieno:

Yes we have to develop our own.. but before you insult a soldier that just punish you, make sure you are at the boarder of another country.. you have to put things in place first before you ban..

You might be right but Nigeria is not a country that need to be handle with soft hand, BAN first and we look inward.. After BAN on importation of rice what happen?
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Nobody: 9:27am On Mar 28, 2017
This is just so Dangote can recoup the funds he donated toward Buhari's election.

The corollary to this is that Bukola Saraki must be prosecuted for the Paris Club scam. And he should also make refunds!

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by jtwest(m): 9:29am On Mar 28, 2017
FG should test the locally made paste if it is fit for u.k citizen consumption o
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Opynion: 9:31am On Mar 28, 2017
Situations and policies need to be change so that the RICHEST MAN IN THE BLACK NATION can regain his position in the global chart.

If i say DAN.... and You say ....GOTE na you sabi
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by SehgateTeam(m): 9:35am On Mar 28, 2017
Good move FG . But also remember to regulate the quality.

Adding value to your commodity before export and win the heart of international buyers in no time

https://sehgatehub./2017/02/25/adding-value-to-your-commodity-before-export-and-win-the-heart-of-international-buyers-in-no-time/
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by babniyen(m): 9:36am On Mar 28, 2017
Why should we import tomatoe paste when we have tomatoe rottung in farms here. The $ should be used to improve the value chain here.
signz:

Most of these companies import Tomatoe concentrate and the taxes have been increased from 5% - 50%.

Our government have no atom of sympathy for the poor.

Soon now Tomatoes will be expensive because it'll be out of season soon and the few ones will be mopped up by tomatoe paste manufacturers ( Erisco and Dangote).

Infact i don weak for naija matter aswear

Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by nickxtra(m): 9:37am On Mar 28, 2017
jjbest123:
Hope We Have A Tomato Factory To Meet Local Demand
I hope Erisco is still in Nigeria
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Originalsly: 9:38am On Mar 28, 2017
Truth234:

Dangote, Erisco, etc but I hope their quality is the same with their foreign counterparts.
Quality?...do you really know what you're actually getting in the can of imported tomato paste or product? ....what percent is really tomato?...and what the other stuff really is? ... have you ever seen or heard of these countries having huge tomato farms? ... or in fact growing tomatoes period? You're consuming tomato flavoured something and don't even know.
@ topic.... why only 50% tariff?... hope it is doubled soon.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by fagin1982(m): 9:39am On Mar 28, 2017
Oildichotomy:
This is the most insensitive government Nigeria has ever had. You've not created an enabling environment for manufacturers to thrive but you find solace in banning commodities that you don't have the local capacity to produce.

This form of harsh economic ideology cannot jumpstart the mirage of eldorado those idiots in Aso Rock think will happen. You cannot put the cart before the horse and expect to move forward. Provide the electricity and necessary infrastructures to an appreciable level before all these ban. For pete sakes, you are not producing anything yet and you expect manufacturing to start out of the blues cos of some BAN.

I don't know how they think in Aso Rock. It is obvious we have some bunch of dumboes in power who thought process is far off their behind.

This seems to be one of the best policy of this administration ..Tomato is abundantly produced in Nigeria and there is 3 Brand New Tomato paste manufacturing plants in Nigeria presently - Tomato Jos Company , Erisco Foods and Dangote Foods and others.. They run in over 1500mtons capacity per anum and there are other small scale plants that can help cushion whatever demand that comes up

The ones you eat that comes from China are mere startch concentrates mixed with little tomato ..They are unhealthy and imported at cheaper rates ...This policy will stimulate the economy positively

Just recently the Bank of Industry trained over 500 small scall manufactures in Lagos and Kano -These are efforts to shore up the policy on a medium scale point of view

EMBRACE THE POLICY AND GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU SOUND IGNORANT
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Moving4: 9:40am On Mar 28, 2017
Nice if we can measure up to d task
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by obailala(m): 9:42am On Mar 28, 2017
eph12:

We both agree on starting from somewhere bro. We don't just agree on where and how.
In all things comcerning self development, the best time to start os NOW.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by oyienootieno: 10:11am On Mar 28, 2017
ISTANDWITHBUHAR:

You might be right but Nigeria is not a country that need to be handle with soft hand, BAN first and we look inward.. After BAN on importation of rice what happen?

Nice one i like it when we air our views without insult..

So let it roll, because you don't want to pay house rent again or you are tired of your land lord mess does not mean you buy a land and move out without at lest building a shanty. .. remember comon tomato ebola last year? My brother i bough 4 pieces of tomato for N500...
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by signz: 10:13am On Mar 28, 2017
babniyen:
Why should we import tomatoe paste when we have tomatoe rottung in farms here. The $ should be used to improve the value chain here.

Chief please don't believe the hype. We're not producing that much tomatoes to support Dangote and Erisco's plant now. The poor which has suffered so much recently as a result of failed govt policies are to bear the brunt of another poorly thought out policy of this insensitive govt.

Example, Tony Elumelu believed the hype that Oranges are plenty in benue. He spent millions of $$$ to establish an Orange concentrate farm. Rumour has it that the olace has been closed for some months.

Why? Because we don't produce that much oranges to warrant someone to establish a plant.

Someone on twitter wants to do same for mangoes, the person is now touring our mango producing states and you'll be disappointed if you read his findings. Its on the internet

In Nigeria we always like to place the cart before the horse. I believe there should've been a way to implement this policy without it affecting the poor adversely.
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 10:20am On Mar 28, 2017
oyienootieno:

Nice one i like it when we air our views without insult..

So let it roll, because you don't want to pay house rent again or you are tired of your land lord mess does not mean you buy a land and move out without at lest building a shanty. .. remember comon tomato ebola last year? My brother i bough 4 pieces of tomato for N500...

It happen like that once in a while, But if the border is still open for all this good to come in we won't look inward or develop anything..

With this BAN Dangote and the rest will work on building more tomato factories and employing more hands..
Re: FG Bans Importation Of Packaged Tomato Paste by Bbnty(m): 10:29am On Mar 28, 2017
It's a welcomed development.

Ministry of Education should ban children, relatives and wards of present or past public office older from schooling abroad, all should at least have their first degree in Nigeria.

Ministry of Health should ban all public government functionaries from having access to health care abroad, let's build ours first.

There are alot that needs to be banned.

It's high time we look inward, invest the looted funds in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Banks Scale Cbn’s Dividend Hurdle, 4 Fail / How Realiable Is Www.myus.com / Huawei: ARM Memo Tells Staff To Stop Working With China’s Tech Giant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.