Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,227 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? (10266 Views)

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? / 5 Ways To Know It's Time To Quit Your Job / Avoid These Phrases When You Are Quitting Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 12:40pm On Apr 03, 2017
Chiefpriest1:
He should ask himself what has changed. Did the 'hatred' just start overnight or it was a build-up.

My feeling is that he's getting distracted by this his proposed personal business. After all, all your bosses cannot be wrong at once.

If you are convinced, maybe you should take the plunge and go start your own stuff.

But what I don't like is when people take decisions and then start regretting the next day, blaming everybody except themselves.

Weigh your options carefully. When you decide, you must stick with the plan. No pity party.

On the alternative, you can improve on your work in the office and win back the confidence of your bosses.

The country is not smiling. Leaving a job that pays your bills in an economy that squeezes your resolve is a difficult decision.

You're right one have to weigh his/her option carefully especially in this perilous time of ours
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 12:41pm On Apr 03, 2017
Thanks you guys for all your comments so far..and for taking my post to the FP for the first time here...I believe this circumstance which is a true issue that's currently on-going will benefit many of us here....
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 12:43pm On Apr 03, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

Nothing on earth would stop his boss from sacking him

He should steal as much as he can from the goat face boss and leave him to die

God can..if it's HIS Will
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by excanny: 12:50pm On Apr 03, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

He should steal from him?

What sort of people are these ?
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Gegz(m): 12:58pm On Apr 03, 2017
Ukoju:
By 4pm

Have been laughing since bros cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by jetroolowole(m): 1:30pm On Apr 03, 2017
I don't have much to say here until I release my book The Business Quadrant where I dedicated a chapter to those who want to quit there job for launching their own business
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by MrEgbegbe(m): 1:31pm On Apr 03, 2017
excanny:

He should steal from him?

What sort of people are these ?

Your brain is dead if you can't detect sarcasm
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by mrkeneth006: 1:34pm On Apr 03, 2017
sure way of winning, see details below.

Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by FRANKOSKI(m): 1:42pm On Apr 03, 2017
when your salary is reduced for nothing sake & when you're being sexually assaulted.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by olanrewajuab(m): 1:53pm On Apr 03, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
Don't go yet!!

Frustrate them... Make them bleed. Punish them!

Then when they are still reluctant to sack you, move straight to your boss office and tell him a Huge " Fvck You" in the face and storm outta the office.
Thats not good enough please, consider the future of the young guy.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 2:03pm On Apr 03, 2017
wedeonline:
[b][/b]

I think he should stay and work on the issues his boss is pointing out. The road to being a successful entrepreneur is not all rosy. Never be in a hurry to start. Sometimes we are blinded to our short comings as individuals, that when others try to point it out to us we take offence and want to quit. The truth is that he may not appreciate the scolding of his boss now, cos learning is always an inconveniencing process. If he hangs on, try to change and eventually becomes better he will realise that which he learnt from his bosses' correction will be core to helping his entrepreneurial journey. One of the major reason we dont have entrepreneurs that stand the test of time is that everybody is in a hurry to lead and dont want to serve. My advice is serve first and you rule longer..

Thanks bro this advice makes a whole lot of sense...like a wise man said..'When you want to test the deep of an ocean, start with your first leg first, when it balances then take in your second leg'.....Thanks alot
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 2:05pm On Apr 03, 2017
Gegz:

Have been laughing since bros cheesy grin grin grin grin

Lolz
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by hadura29(m): 2:08pm On Apr 03, 2017
tonychristopher:

One thing he must understand and every salary earner must understand is that at a point in life....you will leave that job

No guts no glory
I can take anything from my boss but not bruising my ego n dignity

This is the time

No venture no success

Bro you took words out of my mouth, this was wha exactly happened to me this January, but I thank God i ook the decision of not going back to him. You can insult me no doubt, but if my ego and self esteem is involved. I don't take shit.. I deliver even though I might mess up sometimes but majorly he always takes the glory and pay peanuts..

I know new doors will open soon but I am happy made the decision of braking free from a slave trade that was called job..

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 2:08pm On Apr 03, 2017
olanrewajuab:
Thats not good enough please, consider the future of the young guy.

Thanks guy....
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2017
Love Machine:
Stop competing with your boss's female crush at the office.Face your task.

Lolz
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 2:15pm On Apr 03, 2017
GloriaNinja:
That's what am thinking now sef, as for me, I will quit the job and take time in inventing something better for myself.

Hmmmmmmm
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 03, 2017
It is a matter of time before he gets fired... he is likely going to put so much effort in not getting fired but may still end up being sacked.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by nizetee: 2:59pm On Apr 03, 2017
MrEgbegbe:

Baaad advice grin

You're not the one affected, how come you sound so harsh. What if you're in his shoes? I guess you'll sell the company with the boss included grin grin grin
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by bukiboy(m): 5:15pm On Apr 03, 2017
Webman007:
Please house i need your advice. A friend who works in a real estate on the island here in Lagos, came to me over the weekend to seek for my advice on what to do about his job as his considering quitting...reasons being that

*Over the past few days, his boss the MD of the company have been on his case, complaining about his output, increased monitoring of his daily activities and using words like 'Am tired of you', 'You're inefficient' etc

* Recently he had a fallout with his direct boss in the office, who in turn issued him a query

He has being working on a business idea for sometime and have even registered the business, what is remaining is for him to launch out. He's thinking of quitting rather than wait to be sacked. is his fears correct? or should he stay on, improve on his work delivery, smoothing things with his oga's and then ease out quietly or wait to be sacked?

The house, i need your help on this one..

1. You’re Living the Status Quo
If you’ve been at the same company and position without any advancement or promotion for the past three years—and you want to continue moving your career forward—it’s time to look elsewhere. Even in a large organization where promotions are tough to come by, you should be able to make some sort of upward movement within this time frame.

2. You Don’t Get Feedback
If your direct manager doesn’t provide feedback on your performance—or the feedback is generic and thus difficult to take action on—it’s pretty tough to learn what it takes to move up within your organization or grow as a professional. The best managers are engaged with your career development and regularly offer advice and guidance—and if yours doesn’t, you owe it to yourself to look elsewhere.

3. You’re Not Learning
If your learning curve has flattened out or you’re really not feeling challenged, this may signal a need to move on. You may not be learning something new every day on the job, but you should be improving upon your core skills and picking up new ones. You often have to take this into your own hands, of course—asking to be involved in a new project, signing up for courses you’re interested in, or attending a relevant conference or seminar in your discipline, for example. But if these possibilities don’t exist at your current job, it’s a sign that the company is not serious about investing in your career development.

4. There’s a Constant Exodus

Do you find yourself going to a colleague’s going-away drinks way too frequently? Does everyone around you seem to be constantly updating their resumes and LinkedIn profiles? When you start noticing a pattern of disgruntled employees (especially the good ones) seeking exits and frequent departures, this usually indicates there are better places to work—and you probably have options. No, I’m not encouraging anyone to blindly follow the herd, but take it as a warning sign, and ask your departing pals why they chose to move on. Their responses may be applicable to your situation as well.

5. There’s Regular Restructuring
If your company is regularly announcing a re-org or shuffling management around, this may indicate leadership issues or a shaky strategic direction. (A friend told me she has had four different bosses in the past year—this can’t be good.) Re-orgs can provide an opportunity to step up and shine; but more often than not, they signal turbulence. And more importantly, they create a challenging environment for your career development needs to get any attention. Your priorities, focus, and progress will inevitably be impacted.

6. Headhunters Want You
Those annoying emails and calls from recruiters may not result in a new job—but don’t ignore them completely. A heavy volume of inbound calls and emails may indicate your industry is “hot” and companies are hiring (read: a great opportunity to move up in position and salary level). I usually consider these conversations as market research to see who’s hiring, what roles and functions are in need, and the average salary range for comparable jobs.

7. It Feels Like Time to Go
Beyond these warning signs, don’t ignore what your gut is telling you. No one knows your work environment better than you do. And if you get the sense that you might be better off somewhere else, heed that inner voice and go exploring.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by steve6: 7:33pm On Apr 03, 2017
excellence44:

Sack is imminent. Either your friend sack the oga or d oga will sack him soon cos that's the attitude of Nigerian CEOs.
I'll advise he plan very well then sack his oga!

Hmmm...today was actually my last day at work after a two month resignation notice but coincidentally, a new boss resumed today and asked me to give him a month's trial to restructure the organization. Am meeting with him tomorrow to discuss some terms. I guess I would heed this advice. It couldn't have come at a better time ! Thanks !
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 7:54pm On Apr 03, 2017
bukiboy:

1. You’re Living the Status Quo
If you’ve been at the same company and position without any advancement or promotion for the past three years—and you want to continue moving your career forward—it’s time to look elsewhere. Even in a large organization where promotions are tough to come by, you should be able to make some sort of upward movement within this time frame.

2. You Don’t Get Feedback
If your direct manager doesn’t provide feedback on your performance—or the feedback is generic and thus difficult to take action on—it’s pretty tough to learn what it takes to move up within your organization or grow as a professional. The best managers are engaged with your career development and regularly offer advice and guidance—and if yours doesn’t, you owe it to yourself to look elsewhere.

3. You’re Not Learning
If your learning curve has flattened out or you’re really not feeling challenged, this may signal a need to move on. You may not be learning something new every day on the job, but you should be improving upon your core skills and picking up new ones. You often have to take this into your own hands, of course—asking to be involved in a new project, signing up for courses you’re interested in, or attending a relevant conference or seminar in your discipline, for example. But if these possibilities don’t exist at your current job, it’s a sign that the company is not serious about investing in your career development.

4. There’s a Constant Exodus

Do you find yourself going to a colleague’s going-away drinks way too frequently? Does everyone around you seem to be constantly updating their resumes and LinkedIn profiles? When you start noticing a pattern of disgruntled employees (especially the good ones) seeking exits and frequent departures, this usually indicates there are better places to work—and you probably have options. No, I’m not encouraging anyone to blindly follow the herd, but take it as a warning sign, and ask your departing pals why they chose to move on. Their responses may be applicable to your situation as well.

5. There’s Regular Restructuring
If your company is regularly announcing a re-org or shuffling management around, this may indicate leadership issues or a shaky strategic direction. (A friend told me she has had four different bosses in the past year—this can’t be good.) Re-orgs can provide an opportunity to step up and shine; but more often than not, they signal turbulence. And more importantly, they create a challenging environment for your career development needs to get any attention. Your priorities, focus, and progress will inevitably be impacted.

6. Headhunters Want You
Those annoying emails and calls from recruiters may not result in a new job—but don’t ignore them completely. A heavy volume of inbound calls and emails may indicate your industry is “hot” and companies are hiring (read: a great opportunity to move up in position and salary level). I usually consider these conversations as market research to see who’s hiring, what roles and functions are in need, and the average salary range for comparable jobs.

7. It Feels Like Time to Go
Beyond these warning signs, don’t ignore what your gut is telling you. No one knows your work environment better than you do. And if you get the sense that you might be better off somewhere else, heed that inner voice and go exploring.

fantastic...fantastic once again
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by oodua1stson: 11:47pm On Apr 03, 2017
Some bosses are just cvnts .

Since he's registered his business I'll advice he leave
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Originalsly: 12:04am On Apr 04, 2017
Hmmm.... he had a fallout with his direction to boss.... the writing is on the wall... he has to go... by hook or by crook. Most likely... he has been spending more time on his personal business and underproducing at work. Of the MD said he is tired of him... means he has been doing something wrong for some time. Too late to make amends. With his attitude... he should have a backup source of income pretty much well established.His days are numbered.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 9:20am On Apr 05, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... he had a fallout with his direction to boss.... the writing is on the wall... he has to go... by hook or by crook. Most likely... he has been spending more time on his personal business and underproducing at work. Of the MD said he is tired of him... means he has been doing something wrong for some time. Too late to make amends. With his attitude... he should have a backup source of income pretty much well established.His days are numbered.

You sound like HIS MD....if you are then, Good morning Sir...

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Originalsly: 9:44am On Apr 05, 2017
Webman007:

You sound like HIS MD....if you are then, Good morning Sir...
Yes I am was.... good morning..... and how can I help you?... seeking employment?
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 10:13am On Apr 05, 2017
Originalsly:
Yes I am was.... good morning..... and how can I help you?... seeking employment?

Not really, but i don't and won't mind if you can offer one
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Originalsly: 10:33am On Apr 05, 2017
Webman007:

Not really, but i don't and won't mind if you can offer one
Self employment... legit business... no loss guaranteed.... how much you have to invest?
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by Webman007: 10:49am On Apr 05, 2017
Originalsly:
Self employment... legit business... no loss guaranteed.... how much you have to invest?

Wait bro am coming.....
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by jessyb: 1:50pm On Apr 05, 2017
if you are resident in Lagos and would like to make income working with a real estate firm, whatsapp 07084910289 for more details
Re: When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? by toprealman: 7:00am On Nov 24, 2019
Ukoju:
By 4pm
I was thinking 3:59PM will be ideal......but what I know kwanu cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Marketing Or Engineering, Which Should I Choose? / APCON Certification / Does H.N.D + PGD Equals Bsc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.