Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,829 members, 7,817,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? (1084 Views)

My Ordeal With A Criminal Friend Yesterday. / Defamation Of Character: Re-Soldier Beats Businessman In Aba / Lagbus Driver Flogged Mercilessly By Soldier For Danfo Driver's Offence In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? by jomoh: 3:20pm On Apr 03, 2017
In line with the continued detention of Kemi Olunloyo, I will like to be informed on this matter.

Is defamation of character a criminal offence or civil wrong?

If it is civil wrong, then why was Kemi Olunloyo arrested and why is she being detained by the Nigerian police.

Nigerian lawyers in the building please kindly answer this question.

Lalasticlala please help push this to the front page for enlightenment. Nairaland is also in the journalism line and can happen to any journalist or blogger. Let us learn from lawyers.
Re: LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? by stephleena(f): 3:24pm On Apr 03, 2017
lol...from a lay man"s point of view, saying the truth even when the the said person keeps denying, is not defaming, and not a criminal offense...just as in the case of I and the mod,who banned me for weeks...now in Dino's voice,you say the truth you die,so if you don't say the truth you die...but wait, I don't think it costs. much for one to mind his /her biz...
Re: LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? by jomoh: 3:39pm On Apr 03, 2017
stephleena:
lol...from a lay man"s point of view, saying the truth even when the the said person keeps denying, is not defaming, and not a criminal offense...just as in the case of I and the mod,who banned me for weeks...now in Dino's voice,you say the truth you die,so if you don't say the truth you die...but wait, I don't think it costs. much for one to mind his /her biz...

lol. Maybe you should arrest the mod that banned you too.

In a serious note, you never answer my question o.
Re: LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? by chizzy161(f): 8:34pm On Apr 03, 2017
It is not a criminal offence rather it comes under tort.
Re: LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? by chidika: 9:14pm On Apr 03, 2017
Please this should be pushed to this front page, we need to be schooled, maybe it might cure our ignorance
Re: LAWYERS: Is Defamation Of Character A Criminal Offence? by Ken4Christ: 11:16pm On Apr 03, 2017
The Nigeria Criminal Code Act 1990 states under section 375 on Publication of Defamatory matter.

Subject to the provision of this Chapter, anyone who publishes any defamatory matter is guilty of misdemeanor, and is liable to imprisonment for one year, and anyone who publishes defamatory matter knowing it to be false is liable to imprisonment for two years.

(1) (Reply)

Teacher Fights Female Student In Class While Trying To Punish Her(video) / Shock As Female Artist Strips Completely Naked At Sacred Catholic Site Lourdes I / Video: V Wendy Reveals How Her Boyfriend Used Tissue To Clean Her Private Part

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.