Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan (9525 Views)

World Bank Says Nigeria Will Soon Recover From Economic Recession / Lagosians Groan As KFC Outlets Shut Down Operations From Tomorrow / Nigeria’s Economic Recession May Last 20 Years – Jimoh Ibrahim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by BarometerNG: 8:50pm On Apr 03, 2017
Nigerian banks prosper as United Bank for Africa (UBA), Access Bank and Zenith Bank have all registered big increases in revenues and profits, while the national economy continues to struggle. UBA’s financial report, which was released on 27 March, revealed a 22% increase in gross earnings from N315bn ($991m) in 2015 to N384bn ($1.2bn) last year. The bank’s pre-tax profits jumped 32% to N91bn ($286m).
The bank has successfully expanded outside of its domestic market, with operations in 19 African countries, plus the UK, US and France, all contributing to the positive financial results. UBA has 11m customers worldwide.

A spokesperson said: “UBA’s subsidiaries outside Nigeria are increasingly gaining market share, reinforcing the strong and impressive subsidiary contribution to the Group, estimated at one-third of profit in 2016, from a quarter in 2015 financial year.”

The contribution of UBA’s non-Nigerian operations have contributed to the 20% rise in the company’s share price in the twelve weeks between 1 January and the announcement of its financial results. Nigerian banks are now beginning to join those from South Africa, Kenya, Morocco, the UK and France in establishing operations in many different African markets. None as yet, however, can genuinely claim to be Pan-African banks.

http://africanbusinessmagazine.com/african-banker/nigerian-banks-prosper-economy-stalls/
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by sHOTdownHawk: 5:37am On Apr 04, 2017
BarometerNG:
Nigerian banks prosper as United Bank for Africa (UBA), Access Bank and Zenith Bank have all registered big increases in revenues and profits, while the national economy continues to struggle. UBA’s financial report, which was released on 27 March, revealed a 22% increase in gross earnings from N315bn ($991m) in 2015 to N384bn ($1.2bn) last year. The bank’s pre-tax profits jumped 32% to N91bn ($286m).
The bank has successfully expanded outside of its domestic market, with operations in 19 African countries, plus the UK, US and France, all contributing to the positive financial results. UBA has 11m customers worldwide.

A spokesperson said: “UBA’s subsidiaries outside Nigeria are increasingly gaining market share, reinforcing the strong and impressive subsidiary contribution to the Group, estimated at one-third of profit in 2016, from a quarter in 2015 financial year.”

The contribution of UBA’s non-Nigerian operations have contributed to the 20% rise in the company’s share price in the twelve weeks between 1 January and the announcement of its financial results. Nigerian banks are now beginning to join those from South Africa, Kenya, Morocco, the UK and France in establishing operations in many different African markets. None as yet, however, can genuinely claim to be Pan-African banks.

I thought naira got no value. Am also making a profit. Its called depreciation
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by clickbnkgod: 7:48am On Apr 04, 2017
Banks proper, while the masses suffer

Check my signature
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by registration(m): 7:48am On Apr 04, 2017
Oh.. But we are progressing
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by ednut1(m): 7:49am On Apr 04, 2017
shit happens. all the loans amcon took over from those banks that are still outstanding should be returned to the banks. lets see if dem go mk profit

3 Likes

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Tyche(m): 7:49am On Apr 04, 2017
Hmmmmmmmmm
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Swegzfreak: 7:50am On Apr 04, 2017
Ok

BTW
Swegzfreak:
Buying all types of gift cards ITUNES, AMAZON (with cash reciepts) vanilla visa card (with cash reciept)at 100% best rates.....USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, GERMANY($1000 to 15000 needed every day!).

*Valid physical cards only!
*Get paid to any bank in Nigeria within minutes

No Invalid cards/ Used cards

Trusted, certified and legit buyer..

Contact @ signature

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Primusinterpares(m): 7:51am On Apr 04, 2017
Nigerians Raping Nigeria
I pray God delivers this Country
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Celestyn8213: 7:51am On Apr 04, 2017
Why won't they prosper when they squeeze the juice out of the masses in their banky ways.
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by tyehmi(m): 7:51am On Apr 04, 2017
They milk their customers dry.
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by datola: 7:51am On Apr 04, 2017
That is one of the many abnormalities of the Nigerian econony.

Banks are making jumbo profits through round tripping of foreign exchange and various illegal charges on their poor custimers accounts.

Banks and the telecoms operators are partners in crime.

10 Likes

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Mrchippychappy(m): 7:51am On Apr 04, 2017
Courtesy of :

2 Likes

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by nelsilvercloud(m): 7:52am On Apr 04, 2017
The rich getting richer things

1 Like

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 04, 2017
Misleading headline

1 Like

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by paschal47(m): 7:52am On Apr 04, 2017
I thought this thread is about the so called charges they implemented on the deposits.

Anyways check my signature
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 04, 2017
During recession it's only the business unit that makes profit
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Dcaliphate(m): 7:54am On Apr 04, 2017
Well its not bad. The only thing that pains me is the money ppl are paying over frequent non-retrievable swallowing of atm cards by atm machines of other banks...an act powered by a mindless CBN policy.
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by InvertedHammer: 7:55am On Apr 04, 2017
That is the beauty of corporate accounting.

Moving data from one column to the other can make a sick company profitable on papers. The same way rating agencies will give a company A+ and the same company goes bankrupt within 3 months. It is a crazy world out there.

1 Like

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by persius555(m): 8:00am On Apr 04, 2017
Capitalism does more harm than good. It encourages greed, corruption and destroys national values.

1 Like

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by router123(m): 8:00am On Apr 04, 2017
Zenith bank who gave staffs option of take half salary get sacked. Is on d list.
It was funny when was in Their DUTSE Alhaji branch where they were doing massive unnecessary luxurious renovation that goes to the tune of tens of million while they are sacking pple.
My observation in the past 3 months is that Nigerians are now take entrepreneurship serious.
There is no more guarantee in paid employment like before. U either take ur financial destiny in ur hand or be thrown out by ur employer wen he fills like. Besides automated machines are now taking people's job just like d banking sector.
There is atm dat dispense money, receive deposits. We have POS. u can transfer fund with ur Fone even without data.
Pls I have a food distribution idea that I need partner for.
Contact me on 08131360160 & I will mail u d business plan. I need sponsor who will get all there capital in 1 year with 30% interest

1 Like

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by maxiuc(m): 8:02am On Apr 04, 2017
Beware of sweet mouth talking fellows. There was this man in my area who carried Apc nd buhari go head in 2015 when I saw him this time de man be like bonga. Sold his only car now treking on foot I can't just stop laughing

PDP chop money or dem no chop I still blame APC

My Aboki and Zombie neigbours how market na

1 Like

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by tribalistseun: 8:02am On Apr 04, 2017
Mrchippychappy:
Courtesy of :

why you no wan get sense till now?

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Damilolababy(f): 8:10am On Apr 04, 2017
ok

Curvy Lady Goes Completely Unclad In Full Body Painting (Photos)

http://www.wapextra.com.ng/19840-curvy-lady-goes-completely-unclad-in-full-body-painting-photos.html
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Nobody: 8:13am On Apr 04, 2017
Primusinterpares:
Nigerians Raping Nigeria I pray God delivers this Country
Nigeria was designed this way.... nothing will change
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by smartty68(m): 8:16am On Apr 04, 2017
Banks using useless policies to rob us

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by donchrisk(m): 8:17am On Apr 04, 2017
router123:
Zenith bank who gave staffs option of take half salary get sacked. Is on d list.
It was funny when was in Their DUTSE Alhaji branch where they were doing massive unnecessary luxurious renovation that goes to the tune of tens of million while they are sacking pple.
My observation in the past 3 months is that Nigerians are now take entrepreneurship serious.
There is no more guarantee in paid employment like before. U either take ur financial destiny in ur hand or be thrown out by ur employer wen he fills like. Besides automated machines are now taking people's job just like d banking sector.
There is atm dat dispense money, receive deposits. We have POS. u can transfer fund with ur Fone even without data.
Pls I have a food distribution idea that I need partner for.
Contact me on 08131360160 & I will mail u d business plan. I need sponsor who will get all there capital in 1 year with 30% interest
it's hand work of emefele

1 Like

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by sakalisis(m): 8:20am On Apr 04, 2017
This APC government ehn , I tired
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Jengem: 8:24am On Apr 04, 2017
Thief corporations

Dont forget the sidekick

Mrchippychappy:
Courtesy of :

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Alasi20(m): 8:33am On Apr 04, 2017
cool cool cool

Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by IBBG(m): 8:39am On Apr 04, 2017
all na from forex fraud.
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by segzie2012: 8:47am On Apr 04, 2017
BarometerNG:

sHOTdownHawk:

I thought naira got no value. Am also making a profit. Its called depreciation

How do you mean "it is called depreciation"?
Re: Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 04, 2017
why won't they, when everything is charged back to us customers.

Banking as a customer is expensive in this country.

CBN makes policies for banks because for some reasons known to them, Banks are the backbone of the economy.
Every policy made it to make banks profit.

Daylight robbery at its best.

We have eventually become slaves to capitalism.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bank Of Industry Loan At 10% Interest Rate Per Annum And 6 Months Moratorium / Superior Paints / How To Start Cosmetics Business In Nigeria With N50.000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.