Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,134 members, 7,821,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad (4107 Views)

Commercial Bus Throttle Cable Tied To The Pedal In Apapa, Lagos State. PHOTOS / Where Can I Get Throttle Sensor In PH / Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by vapid: 10:54pm On Apr 03, 2017
Hi guys

I recently (3 months ago) bought a tokunbor acura tl 2007. After about one month, I noticed the car suddenlystops stopped firing. Took it to a mechanic who said it's the throttle sensor. He fixed it and gave it back to me. After two weeks it got bad again. I took it back to him and he fixed it again. I used it for about a month and it got bad. I was tired of him at this point and took it to a new mechanic who replaced the throttle sensor with a new one. Used it for about two weeks and it got bad again last Friday. He took the carmarthen, diagnosed and fixed it and brought it back today.
I used the car for about 30 mins and the issue came up again.

Now these are very good mechanics who came highly recommended.
I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do.

Advice please
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by mayor2013: 1:07am On Apr 04, 2017
Was it only the throttle sensor that was changed or it was changed with the complete throttle body unit?
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:22am On Apr 04, 2017
vapid:
Hi guys

I recently (3 months ago) bought a tokunbor acura tl 2007. After about one month, I noticed the car suddenlystops stopped firing. Took it to a mechanic who said it's the throttle sensor. He fixed it and gave it back to me. After two weeks it got bad again. I took it back to him and he fixed it again. I used it for about a month and it got bad. I was tired of him at this point and took it to a new mechanic who replaced the throttle sensor with a new one. Used it for about two weeks and it got bad again last Friday. He took the carmarthen, diagnosed and fixed it and brought it back today.

Advice please

Post your VIN
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by Urbino: 8:56am On Apr 04, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Post your VIN
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by Urbino: 8:56am On Apr 04, 2017
mayor2013:
Was it only the throttle sensor that was changed or it was changed with the complete throttle body unit?
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by Urbino: 8:57am On Apr 04, 2017
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by vapid: 9:01am On Apr 04, 2017
19UUA66256A050987 What do you think might be the issue?
GAZZUZZ:

Post your VIN
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by vapid: 9:01am On Apr 04, 2017
It was only the sensor I think. Cos I was charged between 30 to 45k each time it was repaired.
mayor2013:
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:24am On Apr 04, 2017
vapid:
19UUA66256A050987 What do you think might be the issue?

sorry I was unable to get a free vin report for this vin. Post here https://www.nairaland.com/3523819/come-vin-checks-reports/15#3523819.481

I suspect vehicle might have a history of flooding, which could have affected the. Engine ecu.

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by vapid: 10:03am On Apr 04, 2017
I just did a VIN check at www.vehiclehistory.com. I have attached a screenshot of the summary.
GAZZUZZ:

sorry I was unable to get a free vin report for this vin. Post here https://www.nairaland.com/3523819/come-vin-checks-reports/15#3523819.481

I suspect vehicle might have a history of flooding, which could have affected the. Engine ecu.

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by bravolad(m): 11:00am On Apr 04, 2017
vapid:
I just did a VIN check at www.vehiclehistory.com. I have attached a screenshot of the summary.

That's not a vin report. To get that report, you must pay for it.

I will suggest you obtain a proper vin report through any of the paid channels which should not be above ₦4000.

My first suspicion was flood when I read your experience. But as @Gazzuzz rightly said, a vin report will eliminate certain guess work & enable you to probe in the right direction.

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by jbonito(m): 11:07am On Apr 04, 2017
vapid:
Hi guys

Advice please

This is my opinion!! I bought a 2005 Acura TL Dec 2015 and after driving for 13 months, I had same issue February this year. Car was scanned and sensor got changed for 15k. There were other 2 error codes but they all got cleared after my nuzzles and plugs were cleaned. Since then and now my car has been running as smooth as when I just got it. Check engine light off too. So I'm guessing ure buying bad sensors or your car has an underlying problem.

Cheers
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:30am On Apr 04, 2017
jbonito:

This is my opinion!! I bought a 2005 Acura TL Dec 2015 and after driving for 13 months, I had same issue February this year. Car was scanned and sensor got changed for 15k. There were other 2 error codes but they all got cleared after my nuzzles and plugs were cleaned. Since then and now my car has been running as smooth as when I just got it. Check engine light off too. So I'm guessing ure buying bad sensors or your car has an underlying problem.

Cheers

what sensor?
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by jbonito(m): 11:57am On Apr 04, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

what sensor?

APP sensor as it's called. Accelerator throttle sensor. It's positioned in the hood. Inside a small covered black box.

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2017
jbonito:

APP sensor as it's called. Accelerator throttle sensor. It's positioned in the hood. Inside a small covered black box.

To diagnose app sensor, place scanner on live scan with ignition turned on, check that app sensor values (in degrees) move in correspondence to throttle angle when depressing pedal.

Do not throw parts at a problem, not the best way to go.

Car requires proper diagnosis.
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by jbonito(m): 12:38pm On Apr 04, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

To diagnose app sensor, place scanner on live scan with ignition turned on, check that app sensor values (in degrees) move in correspondence to throttle angle when depressing pedal.

Do not throw parts at a problem, not the best way to go.

Car requires proper diagnosis.

Well this I am just hearing now! On acurazine forum, people with similar problems and same car models changed their sensors and problems got resolved which was what I read before allowing my sensor changed. Problem never returned since then also and my car is fine. Like I said, just my opinion for the guy. Didn't say it must be followed. If Americans on Acurazine throw parts at the problems, I will too.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by AutoElectNG: 2:57pm On Apr 04, 2017
vapid:
Hi guys

Advice please

Did you scan the vehicle? At the first mechanic? At the second mechanic?

If yes, did it throw codes?

What codes did it throw?

The parts that were replaced? New or used? The first time? The second time? The third time?

After they suggested a part replacement, did they use a scanner to verify the repair?

If you could provide the codes, it would be easier to help you.

You have been properly advised - throwing parts at the problem has failed your more than once, you have to adopt a different strategy.
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2017
bravolad:

That's not a vin report. To get that report, you must pay for it.

I will suggest you obtain a proper vin report through any of the paid channels which should not be above ₦4000.

My first suspicion was flood when I read your experience. But as @Gazzuzz rightly said, a vin report will eliminate certain guess work & enable you to probe in the right direction.
Autoexport does free VIN check as far as your car is from USA,they have done lots for free myself inclusive and it was FREEEEEE.
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2017
vapid:
Hi guys

Advice please
FIRST THING FIRST SCAN YOUR CAR POST THE CODES HERE!!
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by erico2k2(m): 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2017
jbonito:

Well this I am just hearing now! On acurazine forum, people with similar problems and same car models changed their sensors and problems got resolved which was what I read before allowing my sensor changed. Problem never returned since then also and my car is fine. Like I said, just my opinion for the guy. Didn't say it must be followed. If Americans on Acurazine throw parts at the problems, I will too.

Cheers.
New or old sensor?
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by jbonito(m): 9:27pm On Apr 04, 2017
erico2k2:

New or old sensor?

Tokunbo
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by mayor2013: 9:38pm On Apr 04, 2017
jbonito:

Tokunbo

Are you sure its toks. Have had this experience on the field. If brand new then after a certain km covered it would fail because its not genuine. There are a lot of Chinese clone throttle sensor out there. Scan ride, check vechicle history like Gazzuzz spotted and finally post code.
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by jbonito(m): 9:44pm On Apr 04, 2017
mayor2013:

Are you sure its toks. Have had this experience on the field. If brand new then after a certain km covered it would fail because its not genuine. There are a lot of Chinese clone throttle sensor out there. Scan ride, check vechicle history like Gazzuzz spotted and finally post code.

Bros!! Car was scanned, got the codes, followed instructions from people with similar problems and mechanic advise as well, got Toks!!! Not new. It was even removed from its previous housing in front of me while it got fixed into mine. The other codes were also sorted by doing the required repairs. After it was done, vehicle was scanned and no more faults!! Check engine light off and I've been driving same car up and down for 2 months again.

I have nothing to gain by deceiving the OP

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by mayor2013: 10:29pm On Apr 04, 2017
jbonito:

Bros!! Car was scanned, got the codes, followed instructions from people with similar problems and mechanic advise as well, got Toks!!! Not new. It was even removed from its previous housing in front of me while it got fixed into mine. The other codes were also sorted by doing the required repairs. After it was done, vehicle was scanned and no more faults!! Check engine light off and I've been driving same car up and down for 2 months again.

I have nothing to gain by deceiving the OP

Cheers.

Sorry this question $ advice was supposed to be directed to the op

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by erico2k2(m): 11:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
jbonito:

Tokunbo
Try new ones, cos they die due to wear and tear, the magnetism in them weaken with time
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by AutoElectNG: 7:50am On Apr 05, 2017
jbonito:

Cheers
Vapid

This guy had your problem, if not the same, very close.

He says that he scanned the vehicle, but you have not indicated that yours was scanned.

He says he got DTCs, but you have not indicated that you got DTCs. Neither have you shared them here!

He says that he replaced the part with tokunbo, you say you replaced the part with tokunbo thrice!

He says that his check engine light went off after the part was replaced, it is clear that your check engine light stayed back on after the part was replaced.

So in effect you wasted money, because the problem was not resolved.

So you need to know the DTC(s),
you need to know the resolution process for the DTC,
you need to know what values to expect from the sensor in other words live data,
put another way a scan tool is required to verify the repair.

Only after the repair has been verified, that is only after the tokunbo part has proved that is within acceptable specifications, should you pay for that part.

Otherwise, you will run around in circles.

Find someone who can confirm that the APP sensor is your only problem, if they are having problems finding a good used part, then import a known good new one, and you should be fine.

Morale: A tokunbo part can be bad or good, as the poster am quoting has indicated and your experience also shows, but there is a way to know before parting with cash. I have a personal experience in which a MAF used worked but was providing false values, without a scan tool you would never know. Another MAF tokunbo replaced it, but this one sent out outputs within specification

Be properly guided, and stop wasting your funds in this recession!

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by AutoElectNG: 7:53am On Apr 05, 2017
double post
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by jbonito(m): 8:01am On Apr 05, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Vapid

He says that he scanned the vehicle, but you have not indicated that yours was scanned.

He says he got DTCs, but you have not indicated that you got DTCs. Neither have you shared them here!

He says that he replaced the part with tokunbo, you say you replaced the part with tokunbo thrice!

He says that his check engine light went off after the part was replaced, it is clear that your check engine light stayed back on after the part was replaced.

you need to know what values to expect from the sensor in other words live data,

Only after the repair has been verified, that is only after the tokunbo part has proved that is within acceptable specifications, should you pay for that part.

Find someone who can confirm that the APP sensor is your only problem, if they are having problems finding a good used part, then import a known good new one, and you should be fine.

Morale: A tokunbo part can be bad or good, as the poster am quoting has indicated and your experience also shows, but there is a way to know before parting with cash. I have a personal experience in which a MAF used worked but was providing false values, without a scan tool you would never know. Another MAF tokunbo replaced it, but this one sent out outputs within specification

Thank you!! You made sense absolutely.

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by ironheart(m): 3:36pm On Apr 05, 2017
OP buy new part and thank me later. Those tokumbor parts has no guarantee. Chines companies makes parts for companies that sell OEM parts. They sell those new parts under new names or without names for cheaper price.
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by vapid: 10:44pm On Apr 05, 2017
Thanks a lot guys. I gave the car to a mechanic who did the diagnostic. I will post the code on this thread tomorrow morning.
I really appreciate the comment guys.
ironheart:
OP buy new part and thank me later. Those tokumbor parts has no guarantee. Chines companies makes parts for companies that sell OEM parts. They sell those new parts under new names or without names for cheaper price.
AutoElectNG:

Vapid

mayor2013:

1 Like

Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by AutoElectNG: 7:52am On Apr 06, 2017
vapid:
Thanks a lot guys. I gave the car to a mechanic who did the diagnostic. I will post the code on this thread tomorrow morning.
I really appreciate the comment guys.

Happy to help.

An educated driver is better for the motoring community!
Re: Throttle Sensor Always Getting Bad by haviz: 8:38am On Apr 07, 2018
am having same problem with my car too.once u remove the backup fuse for like 10mins ,the tps will work well and later fail again....
iv changed mine more than 8times....in case there a solution pls

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Olist A Reliable Site To Buy Cars / 2014 Mercedes GLA Concept / Siena Please Come Back!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.