Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,326 members, 7,822,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? (7978 Views)

Never Use Dishwashing Liquid To Wash Your Car / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant / When Is The Right Time To Remove And Wash Your Radiator? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by Goodplace: 7:51am On Apr 05, 2017
Please i want to know if washing of radiator can be done even when the car does not over heat? Because my car has been parked for a longtime and a friend advised i should loosen the radiator and take it for washing because of particles that may have been inside?

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:36am On Apr 05, 2017
Goodplace:
Please i want to know if washing of radiator can be done even when the car does not over heat? Because my car has been parked for a longtime and a friend advised i should loosen the radiator and take it for washing because of particles that may have been inside?

non serviceable part. If you have been using water for too long there will be a gradual degradation of the aluminum parts of your engine and radiator, also rust will damage the metal parts of the coolant passages. My advice replace radiator, and return to proper coolant, or Distilled water if in doubt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by cyif2003(m): 2:44pm On Apr 05, 2017
ok i want to replace my radiator of my toypta camry 2003 model. but i was told to buy a brand new one(the one dat has double radiator) and d guy said 25k while i asked another person and he said i shud buy the used one. pls which is better?
GAZZUZZ:

non serviceable part. If you have been using water for too long there will be a gradual degradation of the aluminum parts of your engine and radiator, also rust will damage the metal parts of the coolant passages. My advice replace radiator, and return to proper coolant, or Distilled water if in doubt.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:06pm On Apr 05, 2017
cyif2003:
ok i want to replace my radiator of my toypta camry 2003 model. but i was told to buy a brand new one(the one dat has double radiator) and d guy said 25k while i asked another person and he said i shud buy the used one. pls which is better?

Please buy a new one.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by cyif2003(m): 7:35am On Apr 06, 2017
Ok thank u sir. But pls do u av an idea of the price?
GAZZUZZ:

Please buy a new one.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:36am On Apr 06, 2017
cyif2003:
Ok thank u sir. But pls do u av an idea of the price?

cyif2003:

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by Olafemiwa: 7:16am On Apr 07, 2017
Try to buy the new one. And let it to be double cell.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by Biolamiles: 7:17am On Apr 07, 2017
Let us ask tboss...

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by kenyguy(m): 7:20am On Apr 07, 2017
cyif2003:
If you can afford the Original new one buy it.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by Roon9(m): 7:35am On Apr 07, 2017
Please fam, my car battery is dead and rather than getting new one someone suggested I got a it recharged since am currently short of cash
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by abiolag(m): 7:46am On Apr 07, 2017
Biolamiles:
Let us ask tboss...
Tboss? That dumb ass
@OP Pls go for New original as suggested b4. U will come and thank us later

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by emmaak2(m): 7:48am On Apr 07, 2017
CAN A MASTER CYLINDER BE REPAIRED
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by alex81(m): 8:09am On Apr 07, 2017
12th comment yet no reasonable answer to d op's question... nawa!

maybe d next person below me will have smth reasonable to say
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by alex81(m): 8:09am On Apr 07, 2017
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:20am On Apr 07, 2017
Roon9:
Please fam, my car battery is dead and rather than getting new one someone suggested I got a it recharged since am currently short of cash

Take 28k, go and buy a good battery.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by Roon9(m): 8:43am On Apr 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

I don't have that much at the moment
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:48am On Apr 07, 2017
Roon9:

I don't have that much at the moment

park the car.

5 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by lonelydora: 9:26am On Apr 07, 2017
cyif2003:

Don't buy a used radiator no matter what.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by goldieloc(m): 9:26am On Apr 07, 2017
Goodplace:

Wait, the car isnt over heating and the only problem with it is that you parked it for long?
1. how long did you park it for?
2. was the car being faulty the reason you parked it? if yes what was the fault?

if no fault then just add coolant and be driving your car. Doesnt mean nothing s long as your fans are working and its not over heating.

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by kelechi50: 9:26am On Apr 07, 2017
My car is also heating up at any hold up and I have washed the outside of the radiator but I was advised to Wash the inside
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by lonelydora: 9:31am On Apr 07, 2017
Goodplace:

Since it is not overheating before parking, wash the radiator and use it for sometime to see how it performs. Make sure you add coolant to it too. In case you want to change the radiator, If your car came with single cell radiator, put single cell. If it came with double cell, put double cell
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by femi4: 10:16am On Apr 07, 2017
Roon9:
lol....new one or dey deceive yourself
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by BudeYahooCom: 11:51am On Apr 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Lmao! Na so so 'buy new' 'buy new' you dey advise. You know say country hard? cheesy
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by VitaminB12(m): 12:26pm On Apr 07, 2017
Please fam, what do i do in my own situation? There's usually a cranking sound from my engine whenever I accelerate on a hill and sometimes on a level road. I have taken it (RX300) to the Mechanic, he flushed out the coolant and refilled it with new ones I bought. After like 3 days, the noise resumed again. Just yesterday I took it to a second Mechanic who advised that i change my radiator from thermostat one to a double one that my engine is chopping (don't know what he means by that). My fan doesn't work unless I switch on the car A/C, he said my radiator is on thermostat and which is not suitable and enough to cool it due to our peculiar hot weather.

Please do you think he is right on this that I should change it.
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by Roon9(m): 12:42pm On Apr 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

park the car.

Thanks
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by honmusa(m): 1:36pm On Apr 07, 2017
VitaminB12:
Please fam, what do i do in my own situation? There's usually a cranking sound from my engine whenever I accelerate on a hill and sometimes on a level road. I have taken it (RX300) to the Mechanic, he flushed out the coolant and refilled it with new ones I bought. After like 3 days, the noise resumed again. Just yesterday I took it to a second Mechanic who advised that i change my radiator from thermostat one to a double one that my engine is chopping (don't know what he means by that). My fan doesn't work unless I switch on the car A/C, he said my radiator is on thermostat and which is not suitable and enough to cool it due to our peculiar hot weather.

Please do you think he is right on this that I should change it.
Seems your engine is pinging when it is being loaded .This can be as a result of combustion of unequal proportion of air fuel ,so also extremely lean condition ,ignition problems from spark plugs etc can be responsible.
Scan your car first to narrow down the issue .
You need to flee from that kazeem that is advising abusing your cooling system.

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by VitaminB12(m): 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2017
honmusa:

Seems your engine is pinging when it is being loaded .This can be as a result of combustion of unequal proportion of air fuel ,so also extremely lean condition ,ignition problems from spark plugs etc can be responsible.
Scan your car first to narrow down the issue .
You need to flee from that kazeem that is advising abusing your cooling system.
Thank you Sir, I will find a car diagnostic centre
Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by honmusa(m): 1:50pm On Apr 07, 2017
cyif2003:
Take somebody that can identify a good used Radiator and buy it cos the ones paraded as new are just fake Chinese product .no radiator importer can afford to buy the new oem original ones and it will be too expensive to sell .
The so-called new ones have disappointed me countless times .
One more thing ,if it is single cell Radiator your cooling system come with ,that is wht u will buy and if it is double cell ,vice-versa

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:51pm On Apr 07, 2017
BudeYahooCom:

Lmao! Na so so 'buy new' 'buy new' you dey advise. You know say country hard? cheesy

a car is not a toy, it is a responsibility
A car is not for boys, it is for men
If the owner cannot a new battery how can he afford good tyres?

2 Likes

Re: When Is The Right Time To Wash Your Radiator? by BudeYahooCom: 2:00pm On Apr 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

a car is not a toy, it is a responsibility A car is not for boys, it is for men If the owner cannot a new battery how can he afford good tyres?
I agree with you. I see my car as a human trapped in metal body.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Refill Or Charge Fire Extinguisher? / Mymoto Blog: Chevorlet Volt, A Car That Uses Petrol And Electricity. / Tesla Recalls 53,000 Model S And Model X Electric Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.