Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

On The Issue Of Wedding Ring - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / On The Issue Of Wedding Ring (14998 Views)

Is It A Must For A Muslim Wife To Wear Wedding Ring? / The Issue Of Pocket Money For Wives !!! / The Issue Of Shortening Salah (salat-ul Qasr) During NYSC Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 9:32am On Apr 05, 2017
Wedding rings are not from Islaam, shaykh Al albaani explained in one of his books how it is related to Christian belief.

Another belief that people attach to these wedding rings is that as long as the husband puts it in the wife's finger and vice versa, the both of them will never separate and this is clear shirk, Allah is the One who controls hearts not wedding rings..... End quote from a YouTube video by Shaykh Muhammad Ibn saalih Al Uthaymeen.

Note:
Using of wedding rings as a thing to keep hearts together is from the tawassul that is haram. There is Tawassul of Ibadah and tawassul of using a thing to achieve another e.g using water to quench our thirst and the tawassul of using one thing to achieve another is what these people using wedding rings as instruments to keep their love burning and this is wrong because, before anything can be used to achieve another it must be proven that it can actually do it and as we all know wedding ring is an iron, it has no effect on love whatsoever and this makes it wrong too..... Like they say "love is blind" we can really see it has blinded their reasoning and it therefore pushes them to think this.
Even if they just use it as sign of marriage it'll then fall into the category of being like the kuffar which is also haram.

More explanation on tawassul can be read from Shaykh al albaani s book "attawassul: anwaauhu WA ahkaamuhu"
Adejumo Muhammad Al Edowi

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by AbuHammaad: 1:56pm On Apr 05, 2017
Jazakumullah Khayran. Let's wait for our resident NL Shuyookh cheesy They don't disappoint. We're used to their antics anyway grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 2:26pm On Apr 05, 2017
Lol... Our NL Mashaayikh do not disappoint truly......I've learnt to ignore them unless when necessary... I will go to another section with the nonsense I'm seeing here....maybe politics and(or) food...grin

AbuHammaad:
Jazakumullah Khayran. Let's wait for our resident NL Shuyookh cheesy They don't disappoint. We're used to their antics anyway grin

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 06, 2017
If them dey vex.. .make dem go carry rope...and...and...and embarassed

4 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by aspabay(m): 9:01am On Apr 07, 2017
RABIUSHILE04:
Wedding rings are not from Islaam, shaykh Al albaani explained in one of his books how it is related to Christian belief.

Another belief that people attach to these wedding rings is that as long as the husband puts it in the wife's finger and vice versa, the both of them will never separate and this is clear shirk, Allah is the One who controls hearts not wedding rings..... End quote from a YouTube video by Shaykh Muhammad Ibn saalih Al Uthaymeen.

Note:
Using of wedding rings as a thing to keep hearts together is from the tawassul that is haram. There is Tawassul of Ibadah and tawassul of using a thing to achieve another e.g using water to quench our thirst and the tawassul of using one thing to achieve another is what these people using wedding rings as instruments to keep their love burning and this is wrong because, before anything can be used to achieve another it must be proven that it can actually do it and as we all know wedding ring is an iron, it has no effect on love whatsoever and this makes it wrong too..... Like they say "love is blind" we can really see it has blinded their reasoning and it therefore pushes them to think this.
Even if they just use it as sign of marriage it'll then fall into the category of being like the kuffar which is also haram.

More explanation on tawassul can be read from Shaykh al albaani s book "attawassul: anwaauhu WA ahkaamuhu"

Is there no English word for the bolded? Abi Allah doesn't understand English?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by surveyorng: 9:02am On Apr 07, 2017
It's shirk indeed if the main motive behind it is "binding together forever". I don't think it should be something too serious if you wear ring to make people know you are married and proud of it or you put it on to scare those who flirt away so as not to get tempted into committing adultery and formication.

6 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by AlBaqir(m): 9:02am On Apr 07, 2017
RABIUSHILE04:

# How's wedding ring a Christian belief? Perhaps the Sheik or his students can cite a single verse from the bible to support such a weird submission.

# Wedding ring is from Western culture. Atheist, Christian, Jews of the Western societies, all uses wedding ring.

If other society practices this, it is obviously exchange of cultural practices.

There are lots of Arabian cultural practices smuggled into Islam painted as Islamic today. Islam respect various cultural practices so long it is not in opposition to its teachings.

# Whatever beliefs some people have on their wedding ring does not justify its condemnation on those that doesn't have same belief.

# Wedding ring is a mark and identity very useful today for the married. Generally society respect you more once seen married.

# In India today, only married man keep moustache while wives have a red spotted paint on their forehead. That is their cultural practice.

Stop preaching a rigid Islam of your troglodytes ideology which by all means you wish to force down the throat of everybody

49 Likes 7 Shares

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 07, 2017
Shirk Kufr Takfeer Bid'a.. You guys should fear Allah, for you will be held accountable for what u say on His behalf. The way you guys now paint Islam ehn.. I swear you are doing more and more harm than good(do u even do good atall?) Learn bro!! Acquire the real knowledge bout Islam without adding sentiments. This isn't the way atall.. I doubt if u even know anything bout Usul Fiqh cry
You picked a video on YouTube and some fatwa to back ur claim. Not even one daleel undecided Always the "Albani, Uthaimeen, Ibn Baz say this and that" mantra undecided undecided See there were Scholars before Shaikh Ibn AbdulWahab and co. Just as there will always be scholars after them. Or u wanna tell me the whole muslim world are not on the right path except those that get schooled in KSA and their affiliations Infact there are more and more sound scholars all over the muslim world! Where are the likes of Hassan Daddao of Mauritania, Ibn Bayyah, Shaikh Salim Wadood and other Mauritanian Over sound scholars.. Same in Morocco, Algeria, Egypt, Sudan, Jordan, Malaysia, Yemen,India,Pakistan and other countries too. Lol the funny thing is that Even in KSA, there scholars who don't feature in this Tashaddud ideology. Read about Shaikh Abdul Ilaah Al'rfaj and his likes.
Last week Friday, I think only two islam topics made FP, I felt some how. I was like aren't our muslim bros articulating anything any longer?? But then I realized tgat even if they did, the topics would either be about how u have been removed from Islam or how u are going to land in Hell shocked shocked(pls is it ur hell grin) and some many negative minded talks. You guys should learn how to make Islam look beautiful.
RABIUSHILE04:
If them dey vex.. .make dem go carry rope...and...and...and embarassed
u see this one.. undecided ur language is even bad.. u are already seeing it as a competition. No God fearing Scholar talks the way u just did.. What am i even saying undecided U ain't no scholar,fam. At most u are just one of the many muqallids constituting nuisance in the Nigerian Muslim Community.
Lol Lemme end my rants here grin grin grin

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by blackbelt(m): 9:18am On Apr 07, 2017
aspabay:

you are really myopic oo. cant you google the meaning?

3 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by plantae(m): 9:19am On Apr 07, 2017
[quote author=AlBaqir post=55342372]

# How's wedding ring a Christian belief? Perhaps the Sheik or his students can cite a single verse from the bible to support such a weird submission.

# Wedding ring is from Western culture. Atheist, Christian, Jews of the Western societies, all uses wedding ring.

If other society practices this, it is obviously exchange of cultural practices.

There are lots of Arabian cultural practices smuggled into Islam painted as Islamic today. Islam respect various cultural practices so long it is not in opposition to its teachings.

# Whatever beliefs some people have on their wedding ring does not justify its condemnation on those that doesn't have same belief.

# Wedding ring is a mark and identity very useful today for the married. Generally society respect you more once seen married.

# In India today, only married man keep moustache while wives have a red spotted paint on their forehead. That is their cultural practice.

Stop preaching a rigid Islam of your troglodytes ideology which by all means you wish to force down the throat of everybody[/quote

How is it forced down your throat? This article is only addressed to Muslims. You and your cohorts use medication for someone else's pain. Muslims aren't concerned about your way of life as such they wish you respect their way of life too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by refreshrate: 9:23am On Apr 07, 2017
AlBaqir:

Stop preaching a rigid Islam of your troglodytes ideology which by all means you wish to force down the throat of everybody

Who is this guy!?

Bros I stand up for you and if not because I'm holding phone my heart is clapping in serious ovation for you right now!

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

You just nailed this to a T and once again I thank you!

Meanwhile *follows!*

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by AlBaqir(m): 9:42am On Apr 07, 2017
plantae:

How is it forced down your throat? This article is only
addressed to Muslims. You and your cohorts use
medication for someone else's pain. Muslims aren't
concerned about your way of life as such they wish you
respect their way of life too.

Obviously the OP is speaking under the umbrella of his Salafism. There are lots of other Muslims Ulamas belonging to different sects and ideological views that doesn't buy OP's thought.

Now, let me expose your double standard:

# Today people like you and many muslims dressed western, putting on suit and tie. Is that "sunnatic"? Why don't you dress with Arabian Jalabia and turban with palm sandals all around? After all shirt, trousers, suit and tie are all western values and cultural dressings. An ideology is of the opinion that tie signify crucifix. So why don't you condemn that?

# Today, Muslim terrorists starting from Ibn Abdulwahab to ISIS, ISIL, AL-QAEDA, BOKO HARAM, EL-SAUD REGIME who claimed to follow the Sunnah to the letter and the rest of them: They all use modern Western sophisticated weapons in guns, armored tanks et al, why can't they continue using traditional swords, bow and stick arrows, riding on horses and camels to war?

# Today, most of you use modern medicine if sick. Is there not " sunnatic" medicine in various books of ahadith? For example, a "Sahih" hadith says drinking of camel urine (another hadith says camel urine mixed with its milk) cures fever and guarantee good health. Why do you choose western medicine in treating yourself?

If you see nothing wrong in those western values and practices, then you have no point condemning wedding rings. Only those who attached certain weird beliefs (and ideology) should rather be condemned.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by poundlander: 9:46am On Apr 07, 2017
AlBaqir:

i have to log in my account to thank you for this wonderful piece, may Allah bless you abundantly.
see them, just because some was in contrary to their opinion that has no basis in the holy Quran, they are already prescribing such person to go n find rope and commits suicide.
is that what islam teaches? even Allah admonishes that the prophet can't force anybody to islam against His (Allah's) will.
very soon, they will ask us to stop wearing suits, since it is a "christian" practice and wear ONLY jalabia.
islam is religion of all not only arabs, other people has their culture and it should be respected especially if it doesn't harm islam in anyway.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 07, 2017
Albaqir God will bless u abundantly and continue to increase u in knowledge.Amin.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by poundlander: 9:54am On Apr 07, 2017
AlBaqir:

Obviously the OP is speaking under the umbrella of his Salafism. There are lots of other Muslims Ulamas belonging to different sects and ideological views that doesn't buy OP's thought.

Now, let me expose your double standard:

# Today people like you and many muslims dressed western, putting on suit and tie. Is that "sunnatic"? Why don't you dress with Arabian Jalabia and turban with palm sandals all around? After all shirt, trousers, suit and tie are all western values and cultural dressings. An ideology is of the opinion that tie signify crucifix. So why don't you condemn that?

# Today, Muslim terrorists starting from Ibn Abdulwahab to ISIS, ISIL, AL-QAEDA, BOKO HARAM, EL-SAUD REGIME who claimed to follow the Sunnah to the letter and the rest of them: They all use modern Western sophisticated weapons in guns, armored tanks et al, why can't they continue using traditional swords, bow and stick arrows, riding on horses and camels to war?

# Today, most of you use modern medicine if sick. Is there not " sunnatic" medicine in various books of ahadith? For example, a "Sahih" hadith says drinking of camel urine (another hadith says camel urine mixed with its milk) cures fever and guarantee good health. Why do you choose western medicine in treating yourself?

If you see nothing wrong in those western values and practices, then you have no point condemning wedding rings. Only those who attached certain weird beliefs (and ideology) should rather be condemned.
never knew you will post this rejoinder, we seem to think alike in this subject matter.
if you don't do their brand of conservative islam, then you are khafir.
i wonder why they have accepted technologies even in religion practice, they should have stick with old Arabian medieval ways. double standards and hypocrisy at it's peak.
they are so much concern in dissociating from Christianity than associating with muslims.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Dindondin(m): 11:47am On Apr 07, 2017
Even me a Christian disapproves it. Muslim scholars, does the Quran specify type of dressing for wedding?

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Mrukk: 12:33pm On Apr 07, 2017
Narrated Sahl bin Sa`d As-Sa`idi:

A woman came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have come to give you myself in marriage (without Mahr)." Allah's Apostle looked at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down. A man from his companions got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! If you are not in need of her, then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything to offer?" The man said, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said (to him), "Go to your family and see if you have something." The man went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, I have not found anything." Allah's Apostle said, "(Go again) and look for something, EVEN IF IT IS AN IRON RING." He went again and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I could not find EVEN AN IRON RING, but this is my Izar (waist sheet)." He had no rida. He added, "I give half of it to her." Allah's Apostle said, "What will she do with your Izar? If you wear it, she will be naked, and if she wears it, you will be naked." So that man sat down for a long while and then got up (to depart). When Allah's Apostle saw him going, he ordered that he be called back. When he came, the Prophet said, "How much of the Qur'an do you know?" He said, "I know such Sura and such Sura," counting them. The Prophet said, "Do you know them by heart?" He replied, "Yes." The Prophet said, "Go, I marry her to you for that much of the Qur'an which you have."

[b]Hadith 024/62. Marriage/Volume 07/Sahih Bukhari (English)

2 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by aspabay(m): 12:34pm On Apr 07, 2017
blackbelt:

you are really myopic oo. cant you google the meaning?

I should use Google? Just imagine. So if I have a whole article, I have to use Google to understand every line.
Allah no dey understand English? If its even Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo, I can understand.

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by blackbelt(m): 12:46pm On Apr 07, 2017
aspabay:

I should use Google? Just imagine. So if I have a whole article, I have to use Google to understand every line.
Allah no dey understand English? If its even Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo, I can understand.
you dont deserve my argument
Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by aspabay(m): 12:48pm On Apr 07, 2017
blackbelt:

you dont deserve my argument

Of course since you have no explanation or defense.

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Mrukk: 12:54pm On Apr 07, 2017
Narrated Sahl bin Sa`d As-Sa`idi:

A woman came to Allah's Apostle and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have come to give you myself in marriage (without Mahr)." Allah's Apostle looked at her. He looked at her carefully and fixed his glance on her and then lowered his head. When the lady saw that he did not say anything, she sat down. A man from his companions got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! If you are not in need of her, then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything to offer?" The man said, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle!" The Prophet said (to him), "Go to your family and see if you have something." The man went and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, I have not found anything." Allah's Apostle said, "(Go again) and look for something, EVEN IF IT IS AN IRON RING." He went again and returned, saying, "No, by Allah, O Allah's Apostle! I could not find EVEN AN IRON RING, but this is my Izar (waist sheet)." He had no rida. He added, "I give half of it to her." Allah's Apostle said, "What will she do with your Izar? If you wear it, she will be naked, and if she wears it, you will be naked." So that man sat down for a long while and then got up (to depart). When Allah's Apostle saw him going, he ordered that he be called back. When he came, the Prophet said, "How much of the Qur'an do you know?" He said, "I know such Sura and such Sura," counting them. The Prophet said, "Do you know them by heart?" He replied, "Yes." The Prophet said, "Go, I marry her to you for that much of the Qur'an which you have."

[b]Hadith 024/62. Marriage/Volume 07/Sahih Bukhari (English)

[/quote]PLS note d word in uppercase in d above hadith. Using ring to the best of my knowledge is not against d teaching of Islam. It's only when unnecessarily belief which may amount to shirk(Taking or believing in other thing except Allah (s. w. t)) or a man using a golden ring(as we all know gold &silk is forbidden for men in Islam) that's when using ring can be condemned. May Allah rectify our affairs and make us firm on His path (Amin) Asalamuahlyk[/color]

2 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 07, 2017
These people never seem to amaze me, it makes me wonder if they read the op properly or they are just being mischievous deliberately, like the shi'i up there....

Was it the ring that was condemed or the belief attached it? beliefs that amounts to shirk...

3 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Empiree: 1:49pm On Apr 07, 2017
Blacklister:
Shirk Kufr Takfeer Bid'a.. You guys should fear Allah, for you will be held accountable for what u say on His behalf. The way you guys now paint Islam ehn.. I swear you are doing more and more harm than good(do u even do good atall?) Learn bro!! Acquire the real knowledge bout Islam without adding sentiments. This isn't the way atall.. I doubt if u even know anything bout Usul Fiqh cry
You picked a video on YouTube and some fatwa to back ur claim. Not even one daleel undecided Always the "Albani, Uthaimeen, Ibn Baz say this and that" mantra undecided undecided See there were Scholars before Shaikh Ibn AbdulWahab and co. Just as there will always be scholars after them. Or u wanna tell me the whole muslim world are not on the right path except those that get schooled in KSA and their affiliations Infact there are more and more sound scholars all over the muslim world! Where are the likes of Hassan Daddao of Mauritania, Ibn Bayyah, Shaikh Salim Wadood and other Mauritanian Over sound scholars.. Same in Morocco, Algeria, Egypt, Sudan, Jordan, Malaysia, Yemen,India,Pakistan and other countries too. Lol the funny thing is that Even in KSA, there scholars who don't feature in this Tashaddud ideology. Read about Shaikh Abdul Ilaah Al'rfaj and his likes.
Last week Friday, I think only two islam topics made FP, I felt some how. I was like aren't our muslim bros articulating anything any longer?? But then I realized tgat even if they did, the topics would either be about how u have been removed from Islam or how u are going to land in Hell shocked shocked(pls is it ur hell grin) and some many negative minded talks. You guys should learn how to make Islam look beautiful.
u see this one.. undecided ur language is even bad.. u are already seeing it as a competition. No God fearing Scholar talks the way u just did.. What am i even saying undecided U ain't no scholar,fam. At most u are just one of the many muqallids constituting nuisance in the Nigerian Muslim Community.
Lol Lemme end my rants here grin grin grin
Good job. They have said that they can NEVER take knowledge from any scholars outside of KSA or those they influenced - "Abadan" laelae. They see Muslims outside of KSA to be mushrikun and alhlu-bidat. So what do you expect.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Empiree: 1:56pm On Apr 07, 2017
aspabay:

the bolded means " A Means of approach (to God)" in healthy permissible manner.

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 07, 2017
RABIUSHILE04:

Note:

Allahu a'lam, this is one of the issues with which I disagree with shaykh alAlbani (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him), and tend to agree with those scholars who differ in opinion with him concerning it. A simple google search...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_ring

...will show that the wedding ring has no spiritual or theological symbolism, and did not even originate with the Christians, but was used in many pre-Christian cultures. Of course, Shaykh alAlbani may be excused in that google was not in existence at the time he died, so he probably based his fatwa on wrong information aboit its origin and use. Also, there is no evidence to believe that the ring is worn now, or was originally worn as a means of tawassul to keep the marriage together, or to keep love alive. It is worn just as an indicator of marital status. Furthermore, the premise that using it in that way is wrong and is 'imitating the kuffar' can be challenged on many levels. The hadith citing prohibition on imitating the kuffar states 'man tashabbaha bi qawmin fa huwa minhum', the word 'tashabbaha' is interpreted to refer to the deliberate imitation of the disbelievers to be like them, and this is not so in this case, which is merely using a tool that they also use. For example, we could say that using an umbrella when it rains cannot fall under the purview of this hadith, even though the unbelievers used it first, nor did the prophet (ﷺ) shun the use of clothing worn by pagan Arabs (like the 'imamah) in order to look different from them. In any case, this would be a controversial ruling, and the way I see it, making this statement...

AbuHammaad:

...was an invitation to baseless argument over a controversial opinion, and does not seem very well intentioned. May Allah grant us knowledge and forgive us all.

Allah knows best.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by busar(m): 11:48pm On Apr 07, 2017
Blacklister:
Albaqir God will bless u abundantly and continue to increase u in knowledge .Amin.
You forgot to add BENEFICIAL knowledge because the one he has now ain't beneficial... He needs brain formatting.... Better still anti virus

4 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by AbuHammaad: 12:53am On Apr 08, 2017
Farmerforlife:

Allahu a'lam, this is one of the issues with which I disagree with shaykh alAlbani (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him), and tend to agree with those scholars who differ in opinion with him concerning it. A simple google search...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_ring

...will show that the wedding ring has no spiritual or theological symbolism, and did not even originate with the Christians, but was used in many pre-Christian cultures. Of course, Shaykh alAlbani may be excused in that google was not in existence at the time he died, so he probably based his fatwa on wrong information aboit its origin and use. Also, there is no evidence to believe that the ring is worn now, or was originally worn as a means of tawassul to keep the marriage together, or to keep love alive. It is worn just as an indicator of marital status. Furthermore, the premise that using it in that way is wrong and is 'imitating the kuffar' can be challenged on many levels. The hadith citing prohibition on imitating the kuffar states 'man tashabbaha bi qawmin fa huwa minhum', the word 'tashabbaha' is interpreted to refer to the deliberate imitation of the disbelievers to be like them, and this is not so in this case, which is merely using a tool that they also use. For example, we could say that using an umbrella when it rains cannot fall under the purview of this hadith, even though the unbelievers used it first, nor did the prophet (ﷺ) shun the use of clothing worn by pagan Arabs (like the 'imamah) in order to look different from them. In any case, this would be a controversial ruling, and the way I see it, making this statement...

...was an invitation to baseless argument over a controversial opinion, and does not seem very well intentioned. May Allah grant us knowledge and forgive us all.

Allah knows best.

Do you mind telling us the scholars who disagreed with him?

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by sino(m): 8:24am On Apr 08, 2017
Question
Is it true that giving an engagement ring is unlawful in Islam? Please explain your answer.

Answered by
Sheikh Salman al-Oadah

I believe that engagement rings are not unlawful, but I prefer that people avoid the practice whenever it it is possibly that it could be associated with some superstitions notions.

The practice of giving engagement rings is a new one and thus not addressed by the classical works of Islamic Law. However, there are three situations with respect to those who adhere to this practice, and these situations affect the ruling that must be given.

1. Some people vest in such rings certain powers and believe that they create love in the couple’s hearts and that removal of the rings will lead to separation or hatred. In this case, use of these rings is expressly forbidden, since it constitutes a type of polytheism, albeit to a lesser degree. The reason for this being polytheism is that the people give effective power to something that is neither a divine cause nor a natural cause for anything.

2. If the engagement ring is made of gold, then the man may not wear it, since it is forbidden for men to wear gold. The woman, however, may have her ring made out of gold.

3. In cases where there are no beliefs associated with the rings and where the man will not be wearing a gold ring, then scholars disagree. Some say that it is permitted but disliked for being a new and baseless practice. Others say it is permissible without any reservation because it is a harmless custom.

It does not have to be prohibited on account of it being a particular religious custom of certain non-Mulsims, especially since the custom is widespread in most Muslim countries.

As I said before, I do not deem it prohibited, but I warn against it if it has a chance of bringing about those false beliefs mentioned above.

And Allah knows best.

Source

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by sino(m): 8:33am On Apr 08, 2017
I believe the fatwa in the OP is based on the false believe associated with wedding rings, but the aspect of following the practice of the kufar is not substantiated since wedding ring did not originated from Christendom. Even some Christians go against the use in their religious weddings...

Anyway, we have narrations clearly stating that the Prophet (SAW) wore a ring, and also another report about his wife Aisha (RA) also wearing rings. More so, we have a very instructive narration of the Prophet (SAW) encouraging a companion to gift a woman who he wanted to marry a ring. Here are the narrations….

Narrated `Abdullah: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) wore a gold or silver .. ring and placed its stone towards the palm of his hand. The people also started wearing gold rings like it, but when the Prophet (ﷺ) saw them wearing such rings, he threw away that golden ring and then wore a silver ring. Sahih al-Bukhari 5865 Book 77, Hadith 82

When the Prophet (ﷺ) intended to write to the Byzantines, it was said to him, "Those people do not read your letter unless it is stamped." So the Prophet (ﷺ) took a silver ring and got 'Muhammad, the Apostle of Allah' engraved on it .... as if I am now looking at its glitter in his hand. Sahih al-Bukhari 5875 Book 77, Hadith 92

Aisha narrated: "The Messenger of Allah came to me and saw me wearing silver rings, whereupon, he asked: 'What is this, Aisha?' I replied: 'I made them to adorn myself for you, O Messenger of Allah.' He said: 'Did you pay their zakat?' I said: 'No, or what Allah wishes.' Then he said: 'Their punishment in Hell is enough for you.'" [Narrated by Abu Dawud in his Sunan with a strong chain, Daraqutni in his Sunan, and Bayhaqi in his Sunan (4:140)]

Narrated Abu Hurayrah: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If anyone wants to put a ring of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold ring on him: if anyone wants to put a necklace of fire on one he loves, let him put a gold necklace on him, and if anyone wants to put a bracelet of fire on one he loves let him put a gold bracelet on him. Keep to silver and amuse yourselves with it. (Abu Dawud, Book 28, Number 4236 Grade: Hasan by Sheikh Albaniy)

Basically, wearing rings in Islam is permissible although, gold is prohibited for men as indicated specifically in the last narration…

Narrated Sahl bin Sa`d
A woman came to Allah's Apostle and said, "I present myself (to you) (for marriage). She stayed for a long while, then a man said, "If you are not in need of her then marry her to me." The Prophet said, "Have you got anything in order to pay her Mahr?" He said, "I have nothing with me except my Izar (waist sheet)." The Prophet said, "If you give her your Izar, you will have no Izar to wear, (so go) and search for something. He said, "I could not find anything." The Prophet said, "Try (to find something), even if it were an iron ring But he was not able to find (even that) The Prophet said (to him). "Do you memorize something of the Qur'an?" "Yes. ' he said, "such Sura and such Sura," naming those Suras The Prophet said, "We have married her to you for what you know of the Qur'an (by heart).
(Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 66)

The above narration gives permissibility of making use of a ring as mahr to marry a woman and it can be given on a wedding day. So it is indeed allowed for a woman to ask for a ring for her mahr amongst other things she may demand as her mahr.

Generally, wedding rings are just a symbol to indicate that a person is married, if that is just the reason attached to it or for adornment and to amuse oneself with it as reported in the above narrations, I don't think it should be labelled haram...

2 Likes

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by udatso: 9:09am On Apr 08, 2017
AbdelKabir:
These people never seem to amaze me, it makes me wonder if they read the op properly or they are just being mischievous deliberately, like the shi'i up there....

Was it the ring that was condemed or the belief attached it? beliefs that amounts to shirk...
The op condemned both. Hear him
RABIUSHILE04:

1 Like

Re: On The Issue Of Wedding Ring by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 08, 2017
AbuHammaad:

Do you mind telling us the scholars who disagreed with him?

With what intention please? Continuing the argument or seeking knowledge?
Alright Shaykh ibn Uthaymayn. I hope that is scholar enough for you?

"Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about the ruling on wearing engagement rings. He said: The engagement ring is a kind of ring, and there is nothing wrong with rings in principle, unless that is accompanied by some belief, as some people do when the man writes his name on the ring that he gives to his fiancée, and she writes her name on the ring that she gives to him, believing that this will create strong bonds between the couple. In this case, this ring is haraam, because it is an attachment to something for which there is no basis in Islam and which makes no sense. Similarly, with regard to the engagement ring, it is not permissible to the man to put it on his fiancée’s hand, because she is not his wife yet and she is still a stranger (non-mahram) to him, because she is not his wife until after the marriage contract has been done."

See al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, vol. 3, p. 914-915

Personally, I first got my opinion when I asked a Saudi trained Nigerian scholar in Saudi Arabia when I went for hajj after my marriage, and he gave me the same response, that it was ok if no special belief is attached to it. He has not, to my knowledge, written hundreds of books like Shaykh alAlbani, so you will not likely have heard of him, but he is no less a scholar, having completed his doctorate degree in fiqh, in Jami'a Islamiyya in Medinah. I also believe that the entire body of hanafi fuqahaa permit the wearing of wedding rings. Bro, I admire your zeal for Islam, but please remember the use of hikmah in passing across information.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ruling On Taking Salaries Without Working / Importance Of Marriage At The Right Time / I Think I'm Being Controlled By Unknown Spirit- I Need Islamic Deliverance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.