Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,435 members, 7,819,579 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail (20704 Views)

Lagos Light Rail Will Start Functioning By December- Ambode ( Photos ) / Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts / Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by paddylo1(m): 12:40am On Dec 28, 2009
Work begins on $3bn Lagos light rail
By Rasheed Bisiriyu, Published: Monday, 28 Dec 2009

Attention of stakeholders in the transportation business will early in the new year shift to rail construction in Lagos as work begins on a light rail project estimated to cost $3bn.

Two out of seven rail lines proposed for the project have been approved for immediate construction. One of them, called the blue line, will link Okokomaiko to Marina through Mile 2, while the other, red line, will cover Agege, Mushin, Iddo and also end at Marina.

The Managing Director of Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority, Dr. Dayo Moberola, said the contractors that would handle the project had been identified and their names would soon be made public.

The state government would fund the infrastructure of the rail project and guide interested private firms to operate the lines as done with the Bus Rapid Transit scheme, he explained.

He described the project as first of its kind in the country, adding that the two lines would carry over one million passengers per day.

The LAMATA boss also said that work was almost completed on the concessionaires that would provide the rolling stocks and operate the lines for 25 years.

He said, ”We are doing everything possible to ensure we have the best contractors at reasonable price to do a good job. We have identified the contractors.

”They are doing the detailed designs for us now. Next year, there will be rail construction in Lagos. This is something that has never happened in the history of Lagos State. So in those areas, we have achieved something.”

The light rain project replaces the metroline network conceived by the Alhaji Lateef Jakande during the Nigerian Second Republic. The initial Metroline project was scrapped in 1985 by Muhammadu Buhari administration at a loss of over $78m to Lagos.

The light rail network was proposed by the administration of the Bola Tinubu in the early 2000.

In April 2008, the Lagos State Government approved N70bn for both the Ojo/LASU-Okokomaiko-Marina Line and its construction, with an estimated completion date of 2011.

It also approved ?70bn for both the Agbado-Iddo-Marina Line and its construction, with an estimated completion date of 2011.

Moberola also said that the red line would use the existing corridor of the Nigerian Railway Corporation.

”We have been talking with them (NRC) for the past four years. We want them to move their own track, which is in the middle of the corridor now, to the left, so that we can then build two new tracks onto the right. We are on the point of concluding the issue,” he added.
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200912283464068
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by paddylo1(m): 12:41am On Dec 28, 2009
now who says fashola aint the man. . . .
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Mariory(m): 12:52am On Dec 28, 2009
Trust someone to come here and find something wrong with this.

If you post it, they will come. That's a guarantee.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by babapupa: 1:13am On Dec 28, 2009
paddy_lo:

now who says fashola aint the man. . . .

He is indeed the man of course.

Eko akete Ile ogbon

Eko arosese majae ilu eko ko ya bu omi suru mu

Eko, aro mi sa legbe legbe

Ero ton wo eko elo fi okan bale tori fashola so ilu eko di tuntun!

Eko o ni baje o, infact, obaje ti.

“B’oju o ba ti Ehin’gbeti, oju o ni t’Eko

God Bless the Great State Of Lagos.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by babapupa: 1:18am On Dec 28, 2009
Mariory:

Trust someone to come here and find something wrong with this.

If you post it, they will come. That's a guarantee.

Unfortunately, they always do, especially if nothing better/little or nothing is going on in their necks of the wood. They have to say something to make themselves feel better about their sorry backside states,
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by strangleyo: 1:42am On Dec 28, 2009
About fking time, 20 years too late but whatever.

Hopefully when the PDP rig themselves into power in 2011 they won't cancel this or steal the funds.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by 9ijaprince(m): 1:58am On Dec 28, 2009
strangleyo:

About fking time, 20 years too late but whatever.

Hopefully when the PDP rig themselves into power in 2011 they won't cancel this or steal the funds.

with what fashola is doing presently i think will be a very difficult task for pdp to rig lagos.They will meet stiff resistance if they try it.Fashola is the most popular governor in Nigeria presently.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by vigasimple(m): 2:01am On Dec 28, 2009
I knew that this was mentioned some few months back with estimated completion date of 2011.

I applaud the govt of Babatunde Fashola.

I have been mindly affected by YAR A'DO NOTHING that dates don't mean anything to me anymore. So when they said 2011, is it April 2011 before the election or December 2011 when 2nd term of BRF will or may not be in place as PDP is bringing their bandwagon to Lagos.

I like fixed date. Take for example YAR A'LIAR said 6,000Mw of electricity by December 2009, I knew that he was lieing as usual but I have a date to work with. He even went further to promised 10,000Mw by 2011 which is even a bigger lie because he is not fit mentally and physcially to accomplish NADA.

I will like to be given a specific fixed completion date, and I can mark my diary, and salute BRF or criticize him on or after the due date.
We need accountability in this country.

May the good God bless our good leaders and heep fire on dubious liars and thieves if they will not change, I asked all the house to say a big AMEN, Amin
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by OAM4J: 2:42am On Dec 28, 2009
At least one good news coming from Nigeria.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Nobody: 4:25am On Dec 28, 2009
It's a well concieved idea. It is long overdue. God strenghten Fashola.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by otokx(m): 11:15am On Dec 28, 2009
Work has not started as you can see from the above write up. It is still on the drawing board; we should wait until the stuff starts working.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by tk22ng: 11:25am On Dec 28, 2009
2 thumps for fashola and AC governement of lagos state
nice one lagos state government.Please lets support and encourage them.get ready for traffic jams along these roads and dont forget to pay your
tax.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by otawa: 12:06pm On Dec 28, 2009
Good news, indeed.

Lagosian will start to enjoy light-rail by 2011.

lol
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 28, 2009
Who needs Yaradua or Jonathan when you have someone like Fashola.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Kay17: 12:46pm On Dec 28, 2009
wev should thank and PRAISE YarDua for proposing 6000 mw in Dec, equally, thank Fashola before construction starts!
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by frag(m): 12:51pm On Dec 28, 2009
Perfect. grin
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by violent(m): 1:10pm On Dec 28, 2009
Some are planning 7 billion naira house
Long live Fashola, we here on Nairaland have got your back, come rain come shine
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by jaso1(m): 1:31pm On Dec 28, 2009
While we are rejoicing of goodness and efficiency work of HIS EXCELLENCY BABATUNDE RAJI FASHOLA SAN. we should not forget to draw attention to some certain things.
Firstly, at the beginning of his campaign for 2007, he proved beyond imagination that he belong to valuable world and if you look at his colleague in this dispensation you will realise what I'm saying.
Secondly, Eko is another country were nepotism can't strive because we can identify good from wrong which led to his success as our governor. though somebody recommended him and he has been proving without doubt that he's the best.
may Almighty Allah continue be with him and may you never derail for the circumstances sourounding our system. You're not choosing by anyone but God in which integrity and dignity accolades. you will never fall as God is solidly besides you. long life fashola, long live Lagos, long life Lagosian. Eko oni baje, ni tori o baje ti.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by GTay(m): 4:53pm On Dec 28, 2009
Great News! grin grin grin Finally a transport system that can be considered highly scalable
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by kokoA(m): 4:57pm On Dec 28, 2009
To think that I supported Obanikoro during the elections makes me feel like Big fool now. Thanks to other Lagosians that voted in this guy. PDP will die a natural death.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by 4Play(m): 8:19pm On Dec 28, 2009
'Work begins on billion dollar project' is a familiar headline in Nigeria. I'm only interested in finished projects.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by sayso: 1:54pm On Dec 29, 2009
let us watch and see.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by slowie(m): 2:05pm On Dec 29, 2009
'Work begins on billion dollar project' is a familiar headline in Nigeria. I'm only interested in finished projects.

Why you no go meet yaradull in saudi to show you one finish project since he started. shioo.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by 3kay945(m): 2:15pm On Dec 29, 2009
this man is a born HERO, I knew it from the start,
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 29, 2009
House Can we see the Pictures of the sites works and updates of works development on the sites

Thank you

Fashola I loveeeeeeee UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuu
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Ben13: 2:20pm On Dec 29, 2009
Is this part of the Lagos - badagry Ecowas plan?
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by tunnytox(m): 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2009
how i wish we have this man in Oyo state, cry cry rather than a tout who is parading himself as our governor,
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by yemmight(m): 2:29pm On Dec 29, 2009
Ben-10:

Is this part of the Lagos - badagry Ecowas plan?

No, Its totally different.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by yemmight(m): 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2009
tunnytox:

how i wish we have this man in Oyo state, cry cry rather than a tout who is parading himself as our governor,

You voted the wrong person.

A friend of mine just came back from Ogbomoso and the guy was ashamed the way your Governor celebrated his xmas with his political followers. I was told that knockout explosives were heard from his house. He said it lasted for more than one hour. Everybody in that area was disappointed that a Governor could do such a thing.

And I was told that man is coming back the 2nd time. embarassed cry shocked sad
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 29, 2009
adding that the two lines would carry over one million passengers per day

Good stuff but One million passengers per day??
Abeg, that one na gross over-exaggeration.

Even the London Underground just about carries 1 million passengers per day.
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by Armadda(m): 2:49pm On Dec 29, 2009
KUDOS MR. FASH!
Re: Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail by violent(m): 2:51pm On Dec 29, 2009
A friend of mine just came back from Ogbomoso and the guy was ashamed the way your Governor celebrated his xmas with his political followers.   I was told that knockout explosives were heard from his house.  He said it lasted for more than one hour.  Everybody in that area was disappointed that a Governor could do such a thing

I laugh in 25 different languages

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Agony, Hardship As Power Supply Drops To Six Hours Daily - Vanguard / Senate Mourns 120 Nigerians Killed By Bandits In Sokoto Market / Fashola Clears Air On ‘US-Nigeria Infrastructure’ Comparison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.