Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity (1056 Views)

The Man Who Claimed To Be Jesus EDIDEM BASSEY From Ikot Ekpene Akwa Ibom State / Yhwh Never Changes, Jesus Christ Never Changes....yhwh Is Jesus Christ!!! / Pastor Chris Denounces The Divinity Of Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2009
One may ask, if both Muslims and Christians love and respect Jesus (pbuh), where exactly is the parting of ways? The major difference between Islam and Christianity is the Christians’ insistence on the supposed divinity of Christ (pbuh). A study of the Christian scriptures reveals that Jesus (pbuh) never claimed divinity. In fact there is not a single unequivocal statement in the entire Bible where Jesus (pbuh) himself says, "I am God" or where he says, "worship me". In fact the Bible contains statements attributed to Jesus (pbuh) in which he preached quite the contrary. The following statements in the Bible are attributed to Jesus Christ (pbuh):

(i) "My Father is greater than I."
[The Bible, John 14:28]

(ii) "My Father is greater than all."
[The Bible, John 10:29]

(iii) "…I cast out devils by the Spirit of God…."
[The Bible, Mathew 12:28]

(iv) "…I with the finger of God cast out devils…."
[The Bible, Luke 11:20]

(v) "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgement is just; because I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."
[The Bible, John 5:30]
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by Knight1(m): 3:09pm On Dec 28, 2009
"When Jesus had finished giving these instructions to his twelve disciples, he went out to teach and preach in towns throughout the region. John the Baptist, who was in prison, heard about all the things the Messiah was doing. So he sent his disciples to ask Jesus," (Matthew 11:1-2).""Are you the Messiah we've been expecting, or should we keep looking for someone else?" Jesus told them, "Go back to John and tell him what you have heard and seen--" (Matthew 11:3-4)."the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor." (Matthew 11:5).

"Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God." (John 5:18).

"And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." (Matthew 16:16)."And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. " (Matthew 16:17).

"And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:28-29).

Should i now ask the mods to close the thread or you still want to argue? grin
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 28, 2009
Knight1:

"Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God." (John 5:18).

"And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." (Matthew 16:16)."And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. " (Matthew 16:17).

"And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:28-29).

Should i now ask the mods to close the thread or you still want to argue? grin

I wont talk much because this verse seems to contradict itself. is it the translators or what?
I never believe in the Trinity.
Can you read the bold part? can Jesus be the Son of God and still be the Almighty God the Father of the Son? well pardon me if i view it from a human angle.
And what about if this was rewritten like this: "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my[b] god[/b]. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by Knight1(m): 6:17pm On Dec 28, 2009
Babaearly

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." (1 John 5:7).

"And God said, Let US make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." (Genesis 1:26).

What do you think 'us' means?
Check all translations and versions of the bible, it's the same.
The trinity IS.
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by nuclearboy(m): 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2009
Jesus did NOT even have to claim Divinity for Himself. God Himself in the Torah (Old Testament) claimed it for Him. In Isaiah 7:14, the Lord God Almighty Himself tells us a Virgin would bring forth a child who would be named the MIGHTY GOD, PRINCE OF PEACE and WONDERFUL COUNSELLOR.
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by dwonder(m): 8:27pm On Dec 28, 2009
John 17:3

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by dwonder(m): 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2009
Philippians 2:6-11 (New International Version)

6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by Image123(m): 3:06am On Dec 29, 2009
Bla bla bla Blai, Are you born again?
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by theseeker2: 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2009
nuclearboy:

Jesus did NOT even have to claim Divinity for Himself. God Himself in the Torah (Old Testament) claimed it for Him. In Isaiah 7:14, the Lord God Almighty Himself tells us a Virgin would bring forth a child who would be named the MIGHTY GOD, PRINCE OF PEACE and WONDERFUL COUNSELLOR.

You have started with your lie again after i have cleary disproven them. Lets take a look at the context of Isaiah 7:14 again!

7:1 And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it.
7:2 And it was told the house of David, saying, Syria is confederate with Ephraim. And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the wood are moved with the wind.
7:3 Then said the LORD unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shearjashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool in the highway of the fuller's field;
7:4 And say unto him, Take heed, and be quiet; fear not, neither be fainthearted for the two tails of these smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin with Syria, and of the son of Remaliah.
7:5 Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying,
7:6 Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal:
7:7 Thus saith the Lord GOD, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.
7:8 For the head of Syria is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin; and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people.
7:9 And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah's son. If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.
7:10 Moreover the LORD spake again unto Ahaz, saying,
7:11 Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God; ask it either in the depth, or in the height above.
7:12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.
7:13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
7:15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
7:16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.
7:17 The LORD shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father's house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah; even the king of Assyria.
7:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.
7:19 And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the desolate valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all bushes.
7:20 In the same day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired, namely, by them beyond the river, by the king of Assyria, the head, and the hair of the feet: and it shall also consume the beard.
7:21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;
7:22 And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.
7:23 And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, it shall even be for briers and thorns.
7:24 With arrows and with bows shall men come thither; because all the land shall become briers and thorns.
7:25 And on all hills that shall be digged wit the mattock, there shall not come thither the fear of briers and thorns: but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of lesser cattle.

Isaiah's prophecy was that the child Immanuel was to have been born in 742 BCE, the first year of King Ahaz's reign. Ahaz, the king of Judah, faced the combined armies of Syria and Israel. Isaiah explained to Ahaz that he should not form an alliance with Assyria. In support of this advice, God would provide a sign: a young woman would conceive and bear a child who would be named Immanuel.

The sign would have only have been effective if it happened almost immediately. It would not have given a lot of support to Isaiah's prophecy if more than seven centuries passed before it was fulfilled, over 700 years after King Ahaz' death.

Isaih was clearly not referring to some event that would occur centuries later. When he referred to the far future, as in Chapter 11, he typically used a phrase such as "In that day."

The translatiun of the Hebrew name Emmanuel, (Greek Emmanouel) as "God with us" in Matthew 1:23 implies that the name-holder is divine. The name really means "God is with us," meaning that God will support us. The name makes perfect sense if the child's name was to indicate to King Ahaz that God is on their side.

Also, the word used in the original hebrew text is ALMAH (young woman) not BETHULAH (virgin). Somehow, in the usual desperate attempt to fit OT prophecis to christ, 'young woman' was replaced with 'virgin'.
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by theseeker2: 1:41pm On Dec 30, 2009
Acts 3:26 - To you first, God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning every one of you away from his iniquities
NKJV

How can God also be servant? Dont you guys reason at all
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by Yisraylite(m): 3:20pm On Dec 30, 2009
@ The _Seeker

Spot on ! cheesy

When guys like nuclearboy can't refute they resort to hurling insults, which is a best childish, and immature grin

Isa 7:14 Therefore YAHAWAH Himself shall give you a sign: Behold, the young woman is with child, and she will bear a son, and shall call his name ‘Immanu-Yah’.

Isa 7:16 For before the Child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you dread will be forsaken by both her kings

Isa 8:3 Then I went to the prophetess, and she conceived and bore a son. Then YAHAWAH said to me, "Call his name Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz

Isa 8:4 for before the child shall have knowledge to cry 'My father' and 'My mother,' the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria will be taken away before the king of Assyria."

Isa 8:5 YAHAWAH also spoke to me again, saying:

Isa 8:6 "Inasmuch as these people refused The waters of Shiloah that flow softly, And rejoice in Rezin and in Remaliah's son;

Isa 8:7 Now therefore, behold, YAHAWAH brings up over them The waters of the River, [fn] strong and mighty-- The king of Assyria and all his glory; He will go up over all his channels And go over all his banks.

Isa 8:8 He will pass through Yahadah, He will overflow and pass over, He will reach up to the neck; And the stretching out of his wings Will fill the breadth of Your land, O Immanu-Yah (YHWH is with us)

Isa 8:9 "Be shattered, O you peoples, and be broken in pieces! Give ear, all you from far countries. Gird yourselves, but be broken in pieces; Gird yourselves, but be broken in pieces.

Isa 8:10 Take counsel together, but it will come to nothing; Speak the word, but it will not stand, For YAHAWAH [is] with us (Immanu-Yah)

I hope you don't think you can get away with creating one verse doctrines, You have to see that verse in its full context!!!

THE SEVENTH CHAPTER IN THE BOOK OF ISAIAH BEGINS BY DESCRIBING THE MILITARY CRISIS THAT WAS CONFRONTING KING AHAZ OF THE KINGDOM OF JUDAH. AROUND THE YEAR 732 B.C.E., THE HOUSE OF DAVID WAS FACING IMMINENT DESTRUCTION AT THE HANDS OF TWO WARRING KINGDOMS: THE NORTHERN KINGDOM OF ISRAEL, LED BY KING PEQAH, AND THE KINGDOM OF SYRIA (ARAM), LED BY KING RETSIN. THESE TWO ARMIES HAD BESIEGED JERUSALEM. ISAIAH RECORDS THAT THE HOUSE OF DAVID AND KING AHAZ WERE GRIPPED WITH FEAR. YHWH SENT THE PROPHET ISAIAH TO REASSURE KING AHAZ THAT DIVINE PROTECTION WAS AT HAND YHWH WOULD PROTECT HIM AND HIS KINGDOM AND THAT THEIR DELIVERANCE WAS ASSURED, AND THESE TWO HOSTILE ARMIES WOULD FAIL IN THEIR ATTEMPT TO SUBJUGATE JERUSALEM.

IT IS CLEAR FROM THE NARRATIVE IN THIS CHAPTER, THAT ISAIAH’S DECLARATION (IS 7:14-16) WAS A PROPHECY ABOUT THE UNSUCCESSFUL SIEGE OF JERUSALEM BY THE TWO ARMIES FROM THE NORTH. THE VERSES ISAIAH 7:15-16 STATE THAT, BY THE TIME THIS CHILD (WHOSE IMMINENT BIRTH WAS FORETOLD IN ISAIAH 7:14) REACHES THE AGE OF MATURITY (“… HE KNOWS TO REJECT BAD AND CHOOSE GOOD …”), THE KINGS OF THE TWO ENEMY NATIONS WILL BE GONE, IN FACT, THEY WILL BE KILLED. TWO BIBLICAL PASSAGES, 2 KINGS 15:29-30 AND 2 KINGS 16:9, CONFIRM THAT THIS PROPHECY WAS CONTEMPORANEOUSLY FULFILLED WHEN THESE TWO KINGS WERE ASSASSINATED. WITH AN UNDERSTANDING OF THE CONTEXT OF ISAIAH 7:14 ALONE, IT IS EVIDENT THAT THE NAME OF THE CHILD IN ISAIAH 7:14, IMMANU'YAH, IS A SIGN WHICH POINTS TO THE DIVINE PROTECTION THAT KING AHAZ AND HIS PEOPLE WOULD ENJOY FROM THEIR OTHERWISE CERTAIN DEMISE AT THE HANDS OF THESE TWO ENEMIES. CLEARLY, ISAIAH 7:14 IS A NEAR-TERM PROPHECY THAT IS PART OF AN HISTORIC NARRATIVE, AND WHICH WAS FULFILLED IN THE IMMEDIATE TIME FRAME, NOT SOME SEVEN-AND-A-HALF CENTURIES IN THE FUTURE.

Salamah!! smiley
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by AbuZola3(m): 8:03pm On Dec 30, 2009
Good one, oga the law
Re: Jesus Christ Never Claimed Divinity by AbuZola3(m): 1:12am On Jan 03, 2010
:-

(1) (Reply)

Sunday/Weekday Bulletin / Prophet David Abiola's Shocking Prophesy Concerning Nigeria / A Pearl Of Great Value

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.