Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,405 members, 7,812,194 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? (18382 Views)

Pre-Wedding Photos Of Aminu Sanusi And Fulani Zainab Ali Bashir / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / Difference Between Hausa And Fulani Turban (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 06, 2017
I have noticed that Fulani brides rock the traditional Yoruba attire and am not sure why. I mean no offense whatsoever and am not opposed to ethnic groups sharing traditions but i would appreciate if historians in the house can help with this. Is it as a result of interrelationships or is there something we non-historians don't know. As a yoruba man i think its beautiful but still am confused. Here are some pix to prove what am talking about.

Fulani bridal attire

1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 06, 2017
Yoruba bridal attire

No difference

1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Jetleeee: 2:18pm On Apr 06, 2017
The Yoruba attire has gone global my bro. cool There are tons of pictures online

All these pictures you posted are Yoruba attires with some modifications not Fulani attires

Everyone wears it these days and we have no problem with that. As long as they don't claim it.

I trust some of these tribes anyway cos they are proud of their own attires. They just borrow the Yoruba swag occasionally

But you see those people from that side? grin cheesy We need to keep an eye on them before they start claiming it

You know they aren't proud of their ugly attires lol

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Apr 06, 2017
look like ilorin fulanis, they are more of yoruba than the real fulanis
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 06, 2017
Jetleeee:
The Yoruba attire has gone global my bro. cool There are tons of pictures online

All these pictures you posted are Yoruba attires with some modifications not Fulani attires

Everyone wears it these days and we have no problem with that. As long as they don't claim it.

I trust some of these tribes anyway cos they are proud of their own attires. They just borrow the Yoruba swag occasionally

But you see those people from that side? grin cheesy We need to keep an eye on them before they start claiming it

You are right that our traditions have gone global even the fulani men dress like us o. Sure we dont have a problem with it, it is very admirable that others love our culture. But bros you like wahala small @last statement.

2kaybiel:
look like ilorin fulanis, they are more of yoruba than the real fulanis

No bro, Zahra Buhari is one of the ladies up there, Emir Sanusi's daughter Siddika is also up there and they are full blooded fulanis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by RedboneSmith(m): 3:40pm On Apr 06, 2017
Jetleeee:

It didn't even take long for someone to go there. I was expecting it around the 4th or 5th comment, but you beat my expectation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Jetleeee: 3:51pm On Apr 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:

It didn't even take long for someone to go there. I was expecting it around the 4th or 5th comment, but you beat my expectation.

I'm so sorry smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by MDsambo: 6:26pm On Apr 06, 2017
Op, hope you know that agbada is Hausa attire?

2 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Jetleeee: 6:42pm On Apr 06, 2017
MDsambo:

Agbada is not Hausa attire oo. It's actually from the Mali-Senegambian region

Both Yorubas and Hausas borrowed it.

I don't know about Babanriga but Agbada is unique because we mainly use Aso ofi material

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by nengibo: 11:03pm On Apr 06, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Guilty conscience
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 06, 2017
Its not a similarity because thats not the fulani attire. The yoruba head tie, gwagwaro i think its called is very popular in the north. Brides love it because it makes an expensive statement. Some brides anyway.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 06, 2017
Jetleeee:

Agbada is not Hausa attire oo. It's actually from the Mali-Senegambian region

Both Yorubas and Hausas borrowed it.

I don't know about Babanriga but Agbada is unique because we mainly use Aso ofi material

The agbada is a sahelian attire and its origins are yet known. The tukulors (who are mostly fulas btw) are said to be the inventors by some but given that yorubas are the only non sahelian ethnicity that wears this it is a generally known fact that the yorubas got that from the hausas and i think thats what he meant. Of course as time evolved yorubas have added variation to theirs which is good. But it seems the northern eternal knot still remains prominent in yoruba fashion when it comes to agbada today.

Another item you may not know you got from hausas is the dashiki, gotten fron the hausa phrase "dan ciki" which roughly translates to inner wears.

Just like our women love your asho oke there is no shame in borrowing from each others fashion. If we are to progress as a country surely we must be able to get other things as petty as that. Baffling how people still argue about established facts.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by YungMillionaire: 2:02am On Apr 07, 2017
grin
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by JackieChan01: 3:42am On Apr 07, 2017
Jetleeee:

TFOH! I'm not interested in your useless history class since you want to be stupxxd grin cheesy

Ordinarily, I'd have reacted to your horseshit but at this point, I don't think it's necessary now that I know what you're here for.

I have enough time to burn. Las las dem go ban 2 of us. You dey krase
so you know you're breaking the rules but you went ahead?
mynd44 lalasticlala seun rule 2

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by JackieChan01: 3:42am On Apr 07, 2017
Jetleeee:

You're a dumb, gworo-chewing thug cheesy. An IQ test should be conducted to determine who is smarter between you and your cows grin

Funny how the insecure one talks about someone else being insecure lol

Now go back to my post and show me where I mentioned Hausa, Fulani or any other tribe.

That part of my post was a shade and those who know me on this forum know the people I'm fond of throwing shades at

And don't forget to swallow your pride after realizing your goof. Dirty boy

please bro respect the constituted authority
even the Bible said it
mynd44 lalasticlala seun rule 2
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 6:17am On Apr 07, 2017
Jetleeee:

You're a dumb, gworo-chewing thug cheesy. An IQ test should be conducted to determine who is smarter between you and your cows grin
A yoruba person calling me dirty, ironic isnt it? As to your latter claims, we'll see who needs an IQ test (BTW, twirly dumb f.ck i have an IQ of 147, thats more than your whole family put together).

Funny how the insecure one talks about someone else being insecure lol
I stand by my words and i will prove how much of an im.bc.le you are in due course.

Now go back to my post and show me where I mentioned Hausa, Fulani or any other tribe.
This is what really got me, and this bellend has the nerves to insult my intelligence.

Taken directly from your earlier post, seeing as fulani is the only other tribe you mentioned i think you cant comprehend the words you write or you have dementia. Im.be.ile

That part of my post was a shade and those who know me on this forum know the people I'm fond of throwing shades at
shades are for cowards, again quite fitting considering...

And don't forget to swallow your pride after realizing your goof. Dirty boy
You and all your brothers who liked this post are a disgrace to your race and ethnicity small fry. UGly monkey looking fat nosed fa..t!

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 6:20am On Apr 07, 2017
Jetleeee:

TFOH! I'm not interested in your useless history class since you want to be stupxxd grin cheesy

Ordinarily, I'd have reacted to your horseshit but at this point, I don't think it's necessary now that I know what you're here for.

I have enough time to burn. Las las dem go ban 2 of us. You dey krase

Why am i not surprised, im.beciles are allergic to learning and it seems it is beyond doubt now that you're as mad as a bag of ferrets. Speng!

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by RedboneSmith(m): 6:32am On Apr 07, 2017
nengibo:

Guilty conscience

*chuckles*

You silly, silly child.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 11:47am On Apr 07, 2017
Ersan:

The level of stupidity and insecurity someone finds on this forum is baffling.

We will never claim it because thats not our way. We are very secure and satisfied with what is ours and that will never change. There is no one more proud of his attire than the hausa man. Only petty insecure people bicker about these things.

In the end its a matter of preference, i've always preffered the simpler head tie most hausa women wear during weddings, i just find it more attractive on a woman. But you know women are never satisfied with "simple".
But bro there is no where in that dude's post where he insulted the north or northerners. He just stated that the attire has gone global. Why start out throwing indirect jabs at him? Y'all just calm down and let's enjoy the thread and learn from one another.

Ersan:
Its not a similarity because thats not the fulani attire. The yoruba head tie, gwagwaro i think its called is very popular in the north. Brides love it because it makes an expensive statement. Some brides anyway.
Thanks for the enlightenment brother. I actually like the fulani attire as well though not sure if its a bridal one. I mean this.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by BabaRamota1980: 6:50am On Apr 08, 2017
MDsambo:

Wrong!
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 7:47am On Apr 08, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

Wrong!

Explain.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by BabaRamota1980: 9:19am On Apr 08, 2017
Ersan:

Explain.

That will be like saying dyeing clothes was introduced by Hausa.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 08, 2017
BabaRamota1980:

That will be like saying dyeing clothes was introduced by Hausa.

Different. Dyeing isntunique, that particular clothing is.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by YonkijiSappo: 1:21pm On Apr 08, 2017
Ersan:

Different. Dyeing isntunique, that particular clothing is.

Is the Tuxedo a British or a Western attire?
Let's start from there.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 08, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Is the Tuxedo a British or a Western attire?
Let's start from there.

The tuxedo originated in tuxedo, new york, United states. Just because many people wear it today doesnt change its origins.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by YonkijiSappo: 1:34pm On Apr 08, 2017
Ersan:

The tuxedo originated in tuxedo, new york, United states. Just because many people wear it today doesnt change its origins.

Actually, the English call it a dinner Jacket 1, while the Americans call it a tuxedo 2.
And it is a type of suit wear. Of which the first Origin is the UK (I mean like the earliest form of it).

So you haven't answered the question. Is a Suit/Tuxedo a British or Western clothing style?

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Apr 08, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Actually, the English call it a dinner Jacket 1, while the Americans call it a tuxedo 2.
And it is a type of suit wear. Of which the first Origin is the UK (I mean like the earliest form of it).

So you haven't answered the question. Is a Suit/Tuxedo a British or Western clothing style?

What people call it doesnt change what it is. Nor does it change the origin. You said its a type of suit, just like the babban riga or boubou draws inspiration from arabian outfits. In this case the distinction is enough that its carved its own niche. Again, just because the tux worn by others doesnt mean its not of american origin.

We are talking about origin here mind you, you've lost the plot. Why is it so hard for yorubas to accept this simple truth.

The tukulors (again, a branch of fulas) invented the grand bou bou and was the sahelian mode of dressing. Yorubas got it from the hausas just like they did the dashiki. It is no wonder yorubas are one of the few if not the only non sahelian/majority muslim ethnicity that wears the grand boubou.

Infact one of the most famous pictures of awolowo, he was wearing a very famous hausa style babban riga called kwado da linzami (not completely sure about the name).

Again, most of your "agbadas" today still incorporate the eternal knot which everyone knows is a symbol of the hausa people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emir Of Tsafe, Habibu Aliyu Is Dead, Survived By 25 Children / Great Benin descendants thread / Beautiful Hausa / Fulani / Kanuri Brides

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.