Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,083 members, 7,828,807 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? (18501 Views)

Pre-Wedding Photos Of Aminu Sanusi And Fulani Zainab Ali Bashir / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / Difference Between Hausa And Fulani Turban (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by farouk0403(m): 11:12am On Apr 09, 2017
Ersan:

Lol! How are you sure its not the same person?

Lols, They are not thesame.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 09, 2017
farouk0403:

Lols, They are not thesame.

Trust me fam, mad people all over this forum.

Myself included.

Heck, how are you sure they're not all me?

grin
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by farouk0403(m): 11:27am On Apr 09, 2017
Ersan:

Trust me fam, mad people all over this forum.

Myself included.

Heck, how are you sure they're not all me?

grin

cheesy you got me. let me just keep mute and observe.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by 9jakool: 11:38am On Apr 09, 2017
Ersan:

Lol! As far as nigeria goes everyone knows who that symbol represents.

That still doesn't change the underlying facts. And as far as the world is concern, the symbol is overused and not unique to any group. And as far as Nigeria is concerned, the agbada is Yoruba. Agbada is a more common term in comparison to babban riga.

Sahelian people refers to certain ethnic groups that live and established kingdoms in and around the sahel. These ethnic groups include hausas, kanuris, fulas and tuaregs to name a few.
That still doesn't change what I have said earlier. You are still attaching culture to vegetation. The same way Islam is practiced below the sahel, is the same way that type of clothing is found below the sahel. Yoruba remains the exception.

This is all i ever wanted to hear, im glad you are able to admit it. I am not claiming cultural superiority here, like i said earlier theres nothing wrong with influencing each other, just like your women have influenced ours with the head ties.

I admitted nothing since I used a conditional if, meaning I'm merely speculating. You on the other hand, have clearly admitted to something I didn't even know about. grin

And i am curious as to how you think this islamization took place.

I don't have time to go into details, do your own research.

This is indeed very true. But vegetables like onions arent originally found in the south. Its no wonder you lot call it the same thing we do, arabs call it basl, hausas call it albasa, and yorubas alubosa.(one of many words yorubas adopted hausas?
I don't care what the name comes from, onion is not culture and it's not even native to Africa, it's from Asia. Onion is grown in Yorubaland and any vegetable that's grown in the North can be grown in Yorubaland than vice versa.

And where do you think the nupes got their horses from?

You are so predictable. I know you are going to go there. I could care less where the Nupe got it from. Facts remain that Yoruba didn't get it from the Hausa. Horse in Yoruba in Esin derived from Arabic Hesan. Before Yoruba had the calvary, there were horses used by kings for centuries. Yoruba interaction isn't limited to Northern Nigeria. The first mosque in Yorubaland was built by the Malians, the first Islamic scholars in Oyo were Malians, the first mentioning of Yoruba in any text was by the Songhai. I just want you to know that Yoruba's interaction to the North isn't limited to Hausa.

Great, i am very happy you have all these modes of dressing, again i am not denying, nor am i claiming cultural superiority. The questions remains, where did yorubas get inspiration for agbadas from?
I don't think you are mischievous. The underlying fact is that you did not invent the style. Just as babban riga is exclusively Hausa, the agbada is exclusively Yoruba. Traditionally, both groups didn't use the same fabric and the style also differs.

9 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 09, 2017
9jakool:

That still doesn't change the underlying facts. And as far as the world is concern, the symbol is overused and not unique to any group. And as far as Nigeria is concerned, the agbada is Yoruba. Agbada is a more common term in comparison to babban riga.
Who gives a damn about which term is more common? You keep dodging the issue at hand.As far as nigeria is concerned, the agbada is a yoruba clothing inspired by hausas.

That still doesn't change what I have said earlier. You are still attaching culture to vegetation. The same way Islam is practiced below the sahel, is the same way that type of clothing is found below the sahel. Yoruba remains the exception.
And? is there anything wrong with saying something is for instance asian? btw, the sahel is a region. Islam is practised in hausa land due to the influence of songhai teachers, the agbada is worn by yorubas and other a few other non sahelian ethnicities due to influence from hausas and other sahelian people.

I admitted nothing since I used a conditional if, meaning I'm merely speculating. You on the other hand, have clearly admitted to something I didn't even know about. grin
Again you still dont get me? what if i admit to that? what is wrong with it? this is the insecurity and inferiority complex i speak of.

I don't have time to go into details, do your own research.
Good excuse grin

I don't care what the name comes from, onion is not culture and it's not even native to Africa, it's from Asia. Onion is grown in Yorubaland and any vegetable that's grown in the North can be grown in Yorubaland than vice versa.
Exactly, for example, the durian (worst fruit in the world) though can be grown in nigeria is not indigenous to nigeria. just like the onion wasnt until it was introduced by traders to hausa who by extended the favor to the people of the southwest.

You are so predictable. I know you are going to go there. I could care less where the Nupe got it from. Facts remain that Yoruba didn't get it from the Hausa. Horse in Yoruba in Esin derived from Arabic Hesan. Before Yoruba had the calvary, there were horses used by kings for centuries. Yoruba interaction isn't limited to Northern Nigeria. The first mosque in Yorubaland was built by the Malians, the first Islamic scholars in Oyo were Malians, the first mentioning of Yoruba in any text was by the Songhai. I just want you to know that Yoruba's interaction to the North isn't limited to Hausa.
grin hausas--nupes--yorubas. it all leads back to us. As for the songhai empire, you should know there was a time they incorporated part of
hausaland, kano to be more specific to their kingdom. Though it didnt last long as kotal kanta of kebbi sent them packing a short while later, my point is it is no surprise we are at the center of everything.

I don't think you are mischievous. The underlying fact is that you did not invent the style. Just as babban riga is exclusively Hausa, the agbada is exclusively Yoruba. Traditionally, both groups didn't use the same fabric and the style also differs.
The true point here is whether we invented it or not, we influenced you and the clothing you are so proud of today. You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by 9jakool: 1:13pm On Apr 09, 2017
Ersan:

Who gives a damn about which term is more common? You keep dodging the issue at hand.As far as nigeria is concerned, the agbada is a yoruba clothing inspired by hausas.
When Yorubas were wearing agbada, there was nothing like Nigeria. If the Europeans had drawn the Nigerian boarder a few kilometers North, then groups like Songhai would also be in contention. My point is Hausas were not the only Sahelian traders Yorubas had contact with.
And? is there anything wrong with saying something is for instance asian? btw, the sahel is a region. Islam is practised in hausa land due to the influence of songhai teachers, the agbada is worn by yorubas and other a few other non sahelian ethnicities due to influence from hausas and other sahelian people.
No, I just admitted that onion is from Asia for example. Like I said before, Yoruba also had ties with other Sahelian tribes. Let me ask you this, where did you get your babban riga from?
Again you still dont get me? what if i admit to that? what is wrong with it? this is the insecurity and inferiority complex i speak of.
Not really. I admitted that the goje and danshiki were borrowed by the Yorubas from the Hausas. It's literally in the name so it's not inferiority.
Good excuse grin
I didn't want to go into details, but in short if you must know the first mosque under Oyo was built to facilitate its immigrant population. Yoruba had known Islam for long, but it did not gain hold until many centuries later. Islamization grew when cities funded the construction of mosques. It took local effort for Islam to gain a hold. It was too late that by the time it was starting to gain hold, the colonists had already arrived with Christianity. That's why you see the split you see today. On the other hand, the Nupe and Bariba who both border Yoruba were almost completely Islamized in comparison.
Exactly, for example, the durian (worst fruit in the world) though can be grown in nigeria is not indigenous to nigeria. just like the onion wasnt until it was introduced by traders to hausa who by extended the favor to the people of the southwest.
Thanks for the onions. You and I must then extend gratitude for who ever brought it to West Africa. grin
grin hausas--nupes--yorubas. it all leads back to us. As for the songhai empire, you should know there was a time they incorporated part of
hausaland, kano to be more specific to their kingdom. Though it didnt last long as kotal kanta of kebbi sent them packing a short while later, my point is it is no surprise we are at the center of everything.
Not necessarily, so many aspects of culture like Islam in Yorubaland and your own writing does not lead back to you.
Yes, I know the extent of the Songhai spread. I even know that parts of Kebbi state were occupied by the Songhai for a while.
Center of what? Onions? grin

The true point here is whether we invented it or not, we influenced you and the clothing you are so proud of today. You are welcome.
Well, I guess we both know the truth. It wasn't you who invented it. You said it yourself, multiple Sahelian groups are known for the style as well. Glad we can end at that.

8 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by greenmonk: 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2017
Ersan:

What people call it doesnt change what it is. Nor does it change the origin. You said its a type of suit, just like the babban riga or boubou draws inspiration from arabian outfits. In this case the distinction is enough that its carved its own niche. Again, just because the tux worn by others doesnt mean its not of american origin.

We are talking about origin here mind you, you've lost the plot. Why is it so hard for yorubas to accept this simple truth.

The tukulors (again, a branch of fulas) invented the grand bou bou and was the sahelian mode of dressing. Yorubas got it from the hausas just like they did the dashiki. It is no wonder yorubas are one of the few if not the only non sahelian/majority muslim ethnicity that wears the grand boubou.

Infact one of the most famous pictures of awolowo, he was wearing a very famous hausa style babban riga called kwado da linzami (not completely sure about the name).

Again, most of your "agbadas" today still incorporate the eternal knot which everyone knows is a symbol of the hausa people.
All this una e-fight Dey make me shame.
The day De worst shame catch me na for far away Illinois. We were on a project comprising of Americans, Koreans, Europeans Arabs and two of us from Nigeria. During one of our breaks each group were discussing in their respective languages. Na him De Yoruba man we dey with me cum luk and I see say De same shame De catcham too. na him we start our own conversation, mixing hausa, IBO, Yoruba pidgin and any other Nigeria language we can remember as long as it is not plain English as we were from different tribes and can communicate effectively only in english. It was on that day I saw through our petty tribal jealousy.
The pride of our nation is still in us. Let us think of how to build this nation.
Most of my best friends are not from my tribe.
Whatever the attire it is still Nigerian.
Think positive. Think Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2017
greenmonk:

All this una e-fight Dey make me shame.
The day De worst shame catch me na for far away Illinois. We were on a project comprising of Americans, Koreans, Europeans Arabs and two of us from Nigeria. During one of our breaks each group were discussing in their respective languages. Na him De Yoruba man we dey with me cum luk and I see say De same shame De catcham too. na him we start our own conversation, mixing hausa, IBO, Yoruba pidgin and any other Nigeria language we can remember as long as it is not plain English. It was on that day I saw through our petty tribal jealousy.
The pride of our nation is still in us. Let us think of how to build this nation.
Most of my best friends are not from my tribe.
Whatever the attire it is still Nigerian attire.
Think positive. Think Nigeria.

Exactly what i've been saying, right from my first post.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by MetaPhysical: 5:35pm On Apr 09, 2017
You guys abandoned the topic and drifted off on somethjng completely different.

On the topic itself and the other tangents of discussion, the truth of the matter is that West Africa is partitioned, CULTURALLY, into two regions:

1. The Sudan
2. The Guinea

All the people of Sudan belt have a common mode of dressing, similar music and rhythym, similar food and sometimes rituals and system of rulership is similar. Their ways is distinct and different from that of the indigeneous Guineans.

Geographically, West Africa contains

1. Sahara
2. Sahel
3. Savannah
4. Riverine Forest
5. Swampy Forest

The 1, 2 and 3 are the Sudan Cultural Belt, and 4 and 5 are the Guinea Cultural Belt.

Yoruba is divided into both Sudan and Guinea but 70% of Yorubaland is Savannah and in the Sudan.

Traditionally, the mode of dressing for Yoruba women of the Savannah is consistent with the mode of dressing for all women of the Sudan. Therefore there is nothing missing in the cultural mode of dressing amongst Yoruba women, Fulani women, Hausa Women, Nupe Women, Kanuri women. THE SAME PRINCIPLE APPLIES TO MEN. The only difference in physical appearance will be the styling.

It is good to acknowledge that West Africans are socially ingenious and progressive. This is evident when you look and compare pictures taken sixty years ago and compare with today.

Yorubas should be proud of being the pioneers that lead the social evolution in fashion and socialization across the Sudan. This mode of dressing has spread beyond Nigeria and became the standard of Beauty and ELEGANCE of the African woman.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Olu317(m): 9:29am On Apr 11, 2017
Ersan:

What people call it doesnt change what it is. Nor does it change the origin. You said its a type of suit, just like the babban riga or boubou draws inspiration from arabian outfits. In this case the distinction is enough that its carved its own niche. Again, just because the tux worn by others doesnt mean its not of american origin.

We are talking about origin here mind you, you've lost the plot. Why is it so hard for yorubas to accept this simple truth.

The tukulors (again, a branch of fulas) invented the grand bou bou and was the sahelian mode of dressing. Yorubas got it from the hausas just like they did the dashiki. It is no wonder yorubas are one of the few if not the only non sahelian/majority muslim ethnicity that wears the grand boubou.

Infact one of the most famous pictures of awolowo, he was wearing a very famous hausa style babban riga called kwado da linzami (not completely sure about the name).

Again, most of your "agbadas" today still incorporate the eternal knot which everyone knows is a symbol of the hausa people.
It is obvious that this design was borrowed from Songhai or Malian Empire because the trade of Yoruba beads and clothing materials in 13th century could have facilitated such. But made more popular through some Yoruba who adopted Islam as a religion .Hence became accepted everywhere in Yoruba land. If One consider the method of design on Yoruba ASO OKE / ASO OFI stylish embroidery design which has span 100s of years. It can be deduced that Yoruba clothing designers had close knowledge on this style of bou bou even before it became more popular among the Islamic scholars cum elites in Northern Nigeria.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 10:02am On Apr 11, 2017
Olu317:
It is obvious that this design was borrowed from Songhai or Malian Empire because the trade of Yoruba beads and clothing materials in 13th century could have facilitated such. But made more popular through some Yoruba who adopted Islam as a religion .Hence became accepted everywhere in Yoruba land. If One consider the method of design on Yoruba ASO OKE / ASO OFI stylish embroidery design which has span 100s of years. It can be deduced that Yoruba clothing designers had close knowledge on this style of bou bou even before it became more popular among the Islamic scholars cum elites in Northern Nigeria.

Hausaland has been having trade relations with mali way before the 13th century.
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Olu317(m): 11:01am On Apr 11, 2017
Ersan:

Hausaland has been having trade relations with mali way before the 13th century.

On what area of trade do you mean ? I was specific. I will be glad if you can expatiate precisely on clothing cum fabric vis à vis its popularity e'en to the knowledge of it in the present day Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 11, 2017
Olu317:
On what area of trade do you mean ? I was specific. I will be glad if you can expatiate precisely on clothing cum fabric vis à vis its popularity e'en to the knowledge of it in the present day Ghana.

Doesnt matter, interaction between sahelian people has been going on for centuries. A lot of hausa people you see today, ethnic wise are songhais or malians to begin with as these people have also migrated into hausaland in numbers at some pointed.

In terms of fabric, fabrics have always been known to be one of the major trade item of hausas. Today the kofar mata dye pits in west africa is the oldest in west africa. The sahel region were for instance known for indigo turbans mostly provided by hausas.

You should also know that it is not necessary that hausas got this outfit from the songhai or malians, like i said, its the dress code of sahel and it could be any one of those ethnicities. It is also common knowledge that it is in fact hausa traders that popularized this mode of dressing.

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Olu317(m): 1:38pm On Apr 11, 2017
Ersan:

Doesnt matter, interaction between sahelian people has been going on for centuries. A lot of hausa people you see today, ethnic wise are songhais or malians to begin with as these people have also migrated into hausaland in numbers at some pointed.

In terms of fabric, fabrics have always been known to be one of the major trade item of hausas. Today the kofar mata dye pits in west africa is the oldest in west africa. The sahel region were for instance known for indigo turbans mostly provided by hausas.

You should also know that it is not necessary that hausas got this outfit from the songhai or malians, like i said, its the dress code of sahel and it could be any one of those ethnicities. It is also common knowledge that it is in fact hausa traders that popularized this mode of dressing.
Songhai was just 14th century empire. Yoruba empire had existed well before this new comers in the history of West Africa. Even Islamic scholars attested to these facts. The major problems was that Yoruba people was deeply established into deep forested area after migration into this present territories. The Nilotic Saharan including The Berbers, Bantus, who were the major founders of Songhai from GAO, with some Tuareg as well as other Fulanis and other groups from East Africa and North Africa. Hausa history have account of migration into this Northern part via Sudan from Baghdad environment. Hausa is advantageous because it became a trading language during those years. But not at all dealt in Fabric production or beads as done in Yoruba land. If you know history very well, there were no writers of history from Western world as such had knowledge of Yoruba as such. It was some Arabic/Islamic scholars who had been traveling and met some of our ancestors that documented part of our history. I don't see any history connecting Hausa fabrics as outstanding in the history of West Africa. However, I know about Nok art, Bantu people as having history connected and it is not fabrics. I am yet to see it in any part of West Africa history. Hausa were not well organised structurally to be able to establish such great fabric prowess.

3 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Apr 11, 2017
Olu317:
Songhai was just 14th century empire. Yoruba empire had existed well before this new comers in the history of West Africa. Even Islamic scholars attested to these facts. The major problems was that Yoruba people was deeply established into deep forested area after migration into this present territories. The Nilotic Saharan including The Berbers, Bantus, who were the major founders of Songhai from GAO, with some Tuareg as well as other Fulanis and other groups from East Africa and North Africa. Hausa history have account of migration into this Northern part via Sudan from Baghdad environment. Hausa is advantageous because it became a trading language during those years. But not at all dealt in Fabric production or beads as done in Yoruba land. If you know history very well, there were no writers of history from Western world as such had knowledge of Yoruba as such. It was some Arabic/Islamic scholars who had been traveling and met some of our ancestors that documented part of our history. I don't see any history connecting Hausa fabrics as outstanding in the history of West Africa. However, I know about Nok art, Bantu people as having history connected and it is not fabrics. I am yet to see it in any part of West Africa history. Hausa were not well organised structurally to be able to establish such great fabric prowess.

You turning this into a pissing competition. You still dont understand what im trying to say here. Allow it
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Olu317(m): 2:29pm On Apr 11, 2017
Ersan:

You turning this into a pissing competition. You still dont understand what im trying to say here. Allow it
Competition? I am sorry if you see it that way. I don't compete with you but addressing issue from historical perspective as it has been written. I have never seen you as a competitor but sharing view based on account of history ascendancy. I ADMIRE INTELLECTUALS WHEN I SEE or COME ACROSS THEM. AND I COMPETE ONLY WITH MYSELF. THAT'S MY STANDARD. Remerci
Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Cosmoswomb: 1:37am On Dec 08, 2017
Olodo...out of Yoruba and mali senegal who is older pass...maybe malian senegale own yoruba culture and tradition..stupid demonized zombies quote author=Jetleeee post=55327692]

Agbada is not Hausa attire oo. It's actually from the Mali-Senegambian region

Both Yorubas and Hausas borrowed it.

I don't know about Babanriga but Agbada is unique because we mainly use Aso ofi material

[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by MayorofLagos(m): 4:59am On Dec 09, 2017
I cant believe what im reading here, truly when it comes to fabrics, treatment, weaving, styling, design, fitting and exhibiting (swagga), i dont know any culture in West Africa that surpasses Yoruba.

I saw someone talk about ehy North has solomon knot. Thats because Britain suggested that North use it for political logo. Yoruba own it. Its part of Royal insignia in Yorubaland because its connected with dynastic ancestry.

7 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Konquest: 5:21am On Mar 23, 2018
BabaRamota1980:

Eternal knot (Solomon's knot) was adapted in late 50s as a symbol of political North. It was never a part of your culture. You cannot show any picture of anyone or anywhere in Hausaland, pre 1950, with the knot on their garments.

I can show pictures taken of Yorubas in 1905 with the knot on their Agbada.

Prior to internet people used to say Yoruba got Islam from Hausa...but we already busted that myth. You guys thought you were the only Yoruba contact and gateway to the desert and the Arabs but no, you are not.
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@BabaRamota1980

You are correct in your submission about
the Eternal knot. The guy who said the Eternal
knot is originally from the north must be a young
person.

A senior politician and member of Arewa Consultative
Forum from the north said in a published
newspaper article that I read around 2002
that Sir Ahmadu Bello got the design
of the popular Eternal knot design when
he visited Yorubaland and he loved the
design, so he incorporated it into the
emblem of the Arewa... to such an extent
that the design has become ubiquitous
in the Northern part of Nigeria. He mentioned
that fact in the newspaper article because
he wanted Nigerians to know how LIBERAL
Sir Ahmadu Bello is in his interactions
with other Nigerians... in this case, the
Yoruba. I still have the newspaper in my
archive stating that the Sardauna of Sokoto
got the design from Yorubaland!

This history of Yoruba people being the
original source of the Eternal knot in Nigeria should well documented because some
people actually wrongly think it came from
the Hausa.

Islam came to Yorubaland from Mali with Iwo town as the
epicentre of Islam over 500 years ago.

Nice post!

5 Likes

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 24, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@BabaRamota1980

the Eternal knot. That guy who said the
Eternal knot is from the knot must be a young
person.

original source of the Eternal knot in Nigeria should well documented because some
the Hausa.

Islam came to Yorubaland from Mali
over 500 years ago.

Nice post!

1921 Emir of Katsina. Look at the embroidery, the eternal knot appears so anyone who says that came from Sardauna is very wrong.

The eternal knot as a matter of fact has north African nazarene origins. Some trace it all they way back to sarkin Gobir mai sakandami (the cross bearer) who was a medieval Christian king of Gobir. Others argue it's the result of the Christians failed venture into hausaland in the middle ages. Either way, that symbol is very old.

Besides, the Hausa and Yoruba versions of the eternal knot are very different today.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by jara: 4:03pm On Mar 24, 2018
If we only accept the way non-African see us and researched us as mostly from the same origin. It is not surprising that we borrow or copy from one another. Indeed, if you go to the East, you will note varieties of designs within each clan, village or ethnic group. The same is true in the North and and the West.

The difference here is that Yoruba have been the pace setters because many had taken design as a profession earlier, changing and improving the styles. As these styles come into prominence or accepted by the majority, it spreads beyond the borders into all parts of Africa and Africans into Diaspora.

The bottom line is that as long as you move up the ladder irrespective of where you come from, you can afford these new designs made popular by Yoruba but may have originated from Senegal areas as correctly pointed out. The new head tie by Yoruba women is a case in point. Even older women are now part of that fashion.

I remember that omo-alata gele became even more popular and accepted when Okonjo Iweala adopted it. Even in retro looks, who else would dare put on something that was out of fashion or that old today?

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Olu317(m): 7:25pm On Mar 26, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@BabaRamota1980

the Eternal knot. That guy who said the
Eternal knot is from the north must be a young
person.

the Hausa.

Islam came to Yorubaland from Mali
over 500 years ago.

Nice post!

1 Like

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Konquest: 9:57am On Mar 28, 2018
DevdanSanguine:

1921 Emir of Katsina. Look at the embroidery, the eternal knot appears so anyone who says that came from Sardauna is very wrong.

The eternal knot as a matter of fact has north African nazarene origins. Some trace it all they way back to sarkin Gobir mai sakandami (the cross bearer) who was a medieval Christian king of Gobir. Others argue it's the result of the Christians failed venture into hausaland in the middle ages. Either way, that symbol is very old.

Besides, the Hausa and Yoruba versions of the eternal knot are very different today.
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
@DevanSanguine

I like the perspective that you brought by posting the 1921 picture of the Emir of Katsina with
what looks like a version of the Eternal knot or Solomon's knot... which is even different from
the Arewa Knot[Dagin Arewa] design!

By the way he wasn't wearing shoes? Why did he go about shoeless?
Northern Nigeria produced a LOT of leather at that time.

Four Hausa gun carriers of the South Nigerian Regiment in traditional clothing (1902 photo by John Benjamin Stone)
[img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Four_Hausa_Gun_Carriers_of_the_South_Nigerian_Regiment_by_Sir_(John)_Benjamin_Stone_cropped.jpg[/img]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_people

AREWA KNOT [DAGIN AREWA]
Arewa Knot is among those symbols which their hidden secret have not been discovered and its origin remains unknown. We have been told that it represents “Unity in Diversity”, but sometimes history is not what we have been told.

The Arewa knot is an emotive symbol of Northern Nigerian adopted by Sir Alhaji Ahmadu Bello (Sardauna of Sokoto) as a political identity. The symbol was adopted in the 1950s when Nigerian elites were preparing for political independence from Britain. (Ochonu 2008)

The symbol represents “Unity in Diversity”, which was encapsulated in the “One North” philosophy that was used to fight for representation and privileges for Northern Nigeria and to counter what was perceived as Southern Nigerian persecution and political domination. (Ochonu 2008).

Similarly, with the Arewa Knot losing its true meaning or yet to be discovered, it only remains a symbol used for decorating houses and clothing and adopted as Northern Nigerian emblem; Northern Nigerian political identity (in the 1950s) without a true meaning.

"CHRISTIAN ORIGIN"
Among the recent findings is the work of Ibrahim A. Waziri (2009) which he gathered while trying to trace the origin of this symbol and significance. He visited Arewa House which contains all documented northern Nigerian historical artefacts and archives, but there was no trace of its origin, let alone why Sir Ahmadu Bello the Sardauna of Sokoto adopted it as Northern Nigerian insignia knowing of its Christian origin.

In his assertion (Waziri, 2009), the Northern Nigerian insignia which is of Christian origin was adopted by Hausas as the Northern Nigerian emblem (political identity) under the guidance of Sir Ahmadu Bello Sardauna of Sokoto...

SOURCE: ===> https://nurasiya./2016/12/14/arewa-knot-dagin-arewa-the-origin/

You can read more here on the different types of Solomon's knot:

"WHAT IS SOLOMON’S KNOT?"

Each of the following images are variations of the symbol known as Solomon’s Knot, imbolo, the Celtic Foundation Knot, or the Nigerian Knot, and each of the variations has been held sacred by a culture in the many thousands of years since it was first drawn by early man.

To understand the significance of this enduring symbol read "Seeing SOLOMON’S KNOT" by Lois Rose Rose
with © photographs by Joel Lipton.

===> http://www.loisroserose.com/Lois_Rose_Rose/A_WORLD_of_Sacred_Images.html

1. IST PICTURE BELOW IS A ROYAL CROWN YORUBA BEAD WORK WITH SOLOMON KNOT/ETERNAL KNOT DESIGN
2. 2ND PICTURE BELOW IS THE AREWA KNOT
3. HAUSA IN NIGERIA
4. HAUSA IN NIGER REPUBLIC
SOURCES:==> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_people

Cc: sasalite

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Nobody: 1:34am On Mar 30, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
@DevanSanguine

I like the perspective that you brought by posting the 1921 picture of the Emir of Katsina with
what looks like a version of the Eternal knot or Solomon's knot... which is even different from

Four Hausa gun carriers of the South Nigerian Regiment in traditional clothing (1902 photo by John Benjamin Stone)
[img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Four_Hausa_Gun_Carriers_of_the_South_Nigerian_Regiment_by_Sir_(John)_Benjamin_Stone_cropped.jpg[/img]

AREWA KNOT [DAGIN AREWA]
Arewa Knot is among those symbols which their hidden secret have not been discovered and its origin remains unknown. We have been told that it represents “Unity in Diversity”, but sometimes history is not what we have been told.

The Arewa knot is an emotive symbol of Northern Nigerian adopted by Sir Alhaji Ahmadu Bello (Sardauna of Sokoto) as a political identity. The symbol was adopted in the 1950s when Nigerian elites were preparing for political independence from Britain. (Ochonu 2008)

The symbol represents “Unity in Diversity”, which was encapsulated in the “One North” philosophy that was used to fight for representation and privileges for Northern Nigeria and to counter what was perceived as Southern Nigerian persecution and political domination. (Ochonu 2008).

Similarly, with the Arewa Knot losing its true meaning or yet to be discovered, it only remains a symbol used for decorating houses and clothing and adopted as Northern Nigerian emblem; Northern Nigerian political identity (in the 1950s) without a true meaning.

"CHRISTIAN ORIGIN"
Among the recent findings is the work of Ibrahim A. Waziri (2009) which he gathered while trying to trace the origin of this symbol and significance. He visited Arewa House which contains all documented northern Nigerian historical artefacts and archives, but there was no trace of its origin, let alone why Sir Ahmadu Bello the Sardauna of Sokoto adopted it as Northern Nigerian insignia knowing of its Christian origin.

In his assertion (Waziri, 2009), the Northern Nigerian insignia which is of Christian origin was adopted by Hausas as the Northern Nigerian emblem (political identity) under the guidance of Sir Ahmadu Bello Sardauna of Sokoto...

Each of the following images are variations of the symbol known as Solomon’s Knot, imbolo, the Celtic Foundation Knot, or the Nigerian Knot, and each of the variations has been held sacred by a culture in the many thousands of years since it was first drawn by early man.

To understand the significance of this enduring symbol read[b] "Seeing SOLOMON’S KNOT" by Lois Rose Rose[/b]

1. IST PICTURE BELOW IS A ROYAL CROWN YORUBA BEAD WORK WITH SOLOMON KNOT/ETERNAL KNOT DESIGN
3. HAUSA IN NIGERIA

Well constructed post.

The north produced a lot of leather and the person behind him is wearing leather shoes, the king I suppose was stepping into somewhere sacred. Hausa kings historically have been known to prefer ostrich feather shoes from what I read in leo Africanus' description of his visit in the 15th century. I remember sanusi wearing something similar and people bursting into hysterics not too long ago, Maybe its exclusive to Kano sarkis.

The picture you posted was of cavalry men with cheap designs, can't be as elaborate as that of royalty now can it?

As for Ahmadu Bellos involvement in popularising that symbol, that's not what's in question. My point is that this symbol has existed in the land long before he chose it, refuting the claim that he got it from else where.

And yes, like I stated, the Hausa and Yoruba versions of the eternal knot are very different. I wonder why the author called the Yoruba knots by name and referred to Hausa knots as Nigerian. Interestingly, the closest to the Hausa version was that of Ethiopia.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by Olu317(m): 7:09am On Mar 31, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
@DevanSanguine

AREWA KNOT [DAGIN AREWA]

"CHRISTIAN ORIGIN"

To understand the significance of this enduring symbol read "Seeing SOLOMON’S KNOT" by Lois Rose Rose

3. HAUSA IN NIGERIA

Cc: sasalite
There is no standard information as regard the first people who created the eternal knot for whatever purpose it was meant . Although within the context of archeology, ethnography, and art, the Solomon knot which attracted worldwide attention, originated and inspired by early people during the period of Wool Processing; Spinning and Weaving.( Ref.;Snodgrass M.E,
2014:World clothing and Fashion Encyclopedia of History, Culture and Social Influence. Pg. 650)

As ancient as the symbol, It appeared upon Roman mosaics from as early as the 4th century AD, which was adopted as a Christian symbol, appearing on a number of early fonts and stonework – such as the superb example located at Sculthorpe church. Although not as common as many of the other ritual protections marks. It does appear in a numbers of widely spread churches and associated to Islamic religion, suggesting that its meaning and symbolism was widely understood.

There is also a legend that identified , Solomon, the biblical king of Israel ,sage, architect and MAGICIAN who had with him a ring with an engrave design of the knot which was a powerful ring with the engraved design. And the ring was given to King Solomon by God through Archangel Michael to subdue demons, wherever he encountered any. King Solomon was the only royal being associated with Knot according to history.
Furthermore,Solomon’s Knot appears on tombstones and mausoleums in Jewish graveyards and catacombs in many nations. In this context, Solomon’s Knot is currently interpreted to symbolize eternity.
In Africa, Solomon’s knot is found on glass beadwork, textiles, and carvings of the Yoruba people. When the knot appears in this culture, it often denotes royal status; as it is featured on crowns, tunics, and other ceremonial objects.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why This Similarity Between Yoruba And Fulani? by oyatz(m): 2:21pm On Nov 11, 2018

You are right that our traditions have gone global even the fulani men dress like us o. Sure we dont have a problem with it, it is very admirable that others love our culture. But bros you like wahala small @last statement.

No bro, Zahra Buhari is one of the ladies up there, Emir Sanusi's daughter Siddika is also up there and they are full blooded fulanis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beautiful Hausa / Fulani / Kanuri Brides / Origin Of Ifa / On My Coronation Day ,I Wept And I Thought I Was Going To Die , Says Olubadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.