Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) (18180 Views)

A Short Christmas Story Of Hope (miracle Still Happen) / Remi Ireti Davies / Twist Of Hope(a Must Read Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 3:25pm On Apr 07, 2017
Ireti is a short story about a teenage girl, who was caught up by so many things happening around her at the same time.

**** The Finished book will be published soon (hopefully, this year) **** cool
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 4:23pm On Apr 07, 2017
All rights reserved.

No part of this story should be published on another platform without prior information to and permission from the writer.
Copyright 2017

***IRETI***

I heaved a sigh of relief as the driver pulled into aunty Yetunde's driveway. The drive had been unbearably long, it felt like we had been driving from one end of Lagos to another. I really hated Lagos, I never wanted to come back if it were not for my parents' insistence. I got out of the car with my backpack and slammed the door hard, I noticed the driver shake his head and I smiled, he had always thought I was an over-pampered child, why wouldn't I be? being the only girl child of my parents, pampering, is inevitable.

I looked at the building right in front of me and I concluded that I would not like my stay here. I barely knew my cousins; Oluwamayomikun and Modupeoreoluwa, personally, I think the names are too long but then, in this part of the world, names, most times, reflect the circumstances surrounding the birth of the child. My aunt, Yetunde, had been married to Chief Ogunbanjo for ten years before she had Mayokun and then Dupe came a year later, ofcourse, the chief couldn't wait so long to have a child and had already taken a second wife, four years into his marriage with my aunt, who gave him two boys before Mayokun.

Whilst still standing and staring at the small duplex, the front door opened, taking me by surprise, to reveal a very handsome, smiling young boy.

"Hi." he said
"Hi, are my cousins in?" I knew I was being rude but I did not care. I caught a slight frown in his expression before he turned and led the way into the house, through the living room and into the kitchen where Dupe was doing the dishes and Mayokun was standing over a boiling pot of stew. Mayokun looked up and smiled at me.
"I would hug you, but that would be after cooking, how was your drive down here?" she asked, then I thought '[i][/i]staying here may not be as bad as I thought'
"Long, boring, tiring, hectic, I could go on but let me just stop." I replied with a smile.
"A glass of water would do you good, welcome to Lagos once again." she said and chuckled.

*********************************************************************************************************
"How's Lagos treating you or how has it treated you so far?"
"Bad, I've been bored since I got here, I really hate this city, I'd really love to go back to Abuja or relocate to PH, and I mean for good." Ayomide laughed. The familiar sound of his laughter brought a quick smile to my lips.
"Babe, trust me, you have not seen anything yet, Lagos is easily the best city around here. Just wait till I take you on a cruise around town and if you don't like it still, I'll convince mum and dad to send you back to Abuja." I rolled my eyes and Ayo punched me playfully. The only thing I really missed about Lagos was my family, most especially my favorite brother Ayo.
"Talking about mum, how long do you think she'll stay in SA?"
"I don't know and I don't care because she didn't think I was human enough to know where she was going." Ayo chuckled.
"You and mummy sha. Anyways, I have to run now, I'll come for you tomorrow." he kissed my temple as we stood, he gave me a brief side hug before walking to his car.
"When are you getting married?" I asked, trying to sound serious but the laughter that erupted afterwards was inevitable as I watched Ayo literally freeze in his tracks and turn, in slow motion, to face me with his right hand on his chest.
"And that was funny? you literally gave me a heart attack and you're laughing." Ayo replied, barely able to contain his own laughter. I squatted with my head bowed to the ground because I couldn't control my laughter. Ayo waved a 'bye' and climed into his SUV. I walked back to the house when I was sure my legs could carry me. Dupe was reading at the dining table, I looked round the house and became sad. Here, there was so much love that I didn't have, all thanks to my parents who thought they were doing the right thing by sending me and my siblings to different boarding schools at a very young age. I sighed deeply and walked slowly up to my room.

TBC
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 10:09am On Apr 10, 2017
****IRETI****

I sighed again as I sat at the edge of the bed. I envied my cousins because out of their mum's no-time and busy schedule, she always spared a little time, at least, to join them for dinner, did I mentioin that their dad doesn't live with them? Well chief Ogunbanjo currently lives somewhere on the Lagos Island with his third wife and her two children while he bought houses on the mainland for aunt Yetunde and the second wife. Aunt Yetunde worked in one of those manufacturing companies as a sales manager, she was always busy and I respected her for the love she showed her kids. That was one thing my parents never did, well dad tried a bit but mum was just bad. Neither of them had called since I arrived here two days ago, only Ayo and he had even taken time to visit me. Suddenly, the room was hot and stuffy, I looked round and saw that the fun was off, I walked to the fan and switched it on, then I felt the walls closing in on me, my head started spinning and my vision became blurred, I realised I was slowly gasping for air. I fell to my knees as the realization of what was happening hit me, NO! not the asthma again! I crawled to the bed, desperate now, as my breathing became laboured and painful, I gripped the edge of the bed for support as I tried to stand but I fell back on the bed, I was crying now, GOD! I don't know you but please, don't let me die this painful death. My chest was becoming unbearably tight, I searched the bed frantically for my inhaler, I tried to call Dupe but my voice came out as a whisper. Finally, I found the inhaler but I was already too weak to even lift it let alone press it and then there was a total BLACKOUT. I must have fainted. I opened my eyes to see a strange face, is he a doctor? Am I in a hospital? The man in white overalls was scribbling on a pad; I coughed to let him know I was awake. He smiled before squatting and looking straight into my eyes.
“I see you’re awake.” I tried to speak but my head was banging, I think he noticed.
“Don’t worry, I’ll do the talking, you’ve been here for just two hours, you’ll be discharged soon. I expect that you have a really bad headache which is perfectly normal; it means the medication is working. I’d like to ask you some questions later, for now, I need you to just nod to my questions. One, do you know what triggered the crisis?” I nodded a No and watched him write something on his pad.
“Okay, did you struggle for a long time before you passed out?” No, I nodded again. He shook his head, and frowned, a little as he read what he had written.
“I’m afraid you have a serious infection, but it can be managed.” He said, more to himself than to me, and smiled, squeezed my right shoulder lightly and left the room. Aunt Yetunde came in almost immediately, looking worried.
“Iretiola, you scared us o, I never knew you had asthma, what were you trying to do that your cousins could not help you with ehn? Jo omo mi, your cousins are around to help you with whatever you need okay? I don’t know when the doctor will discharge you but he said soon sha, he said something about observing you for a while. I hope you can come home tonight, it is well with you my dear.” I smiled and nodded to show that I was listening, do I blame her for not knowing about my condition when my immediate family didn’t know except she calls to tell them now. I felt dizzy now; I tried to keep my eyes open and failed.
“Don’t fight it dear, it’s probably the injection.” That was the confirmation I needed, to be sure I was not going to eternal rest, dying, so I welcomed the sleep with open arms.

*********************************************************************************************************

“… that’s pure irresponsibility on your part, how could you keep such a serious thing from me, two years is something Iretiola, why did you do it? Do you know how bad I feel to just be finding out that my baby has been living with asthma all this while…” I stopped paying attention to what my mom was saying, imagine her blaming me; I actually wished I could slap some sense into her head. I was really mad at her for trying to blame me for her obvious irresponsibility. “… Are you even listening?” her voice brought me back to reality. I rolled my eyes.
“Mom, I’m tired, the doctor said I should still be resting, we’ll talk later.” She sighed.
“Ireti, you could at least answer my question before hanging up.”
“Mom, please don’t try to play the victim here, you don’t know many things about me and instead of you try to build a relationship, not just with me, but with your son’s too, you’re more concerned about your businesses and money…” I had actually raised my voice. I sighed deeply.
“I’m sorry mom.” I said, genuinely sorry for shouting.
“It’s okay my dear, please rest well, we’ll talk later.”
“Bye.” I hung up.
“I don’t pity her.” I said to myself. She was always trying to play the victim card, creating the impression that she cares when in actual fact she literally neglects her children. I really wonder how Ayo is able to cope with her because he was the one always trying to make excuses for her. Even on family vacations, she’s either making or receiving calls or tapping at her phone. Ayo opened the door and poked his head in “Busy?” he asked, I smiled and waved him in. he sat beside me on the bed and put his right arm across my shoulder.
“Feeling better yet?” I nodded.
“Okay, you’re still not talking, tell me what’s up.” I had barely spoken a word to anyone in the house since I returned from the hospital three days ago. Ayo had come the next day, after the crisis, and had tried to cheer me up but I did not even know the cause of my moodiness.
“Nothing” I replied.
“It has been nothing for three days now. You can talk to me, I don’t bite.” I smiled.
“I’m angry with mom.”
“For…”
“Not caring so much, never being there when I need her and…” I sighed; I did not know I was crying until Ayo brought out his handkerchief to wipe the tears. I allowed him.
“You know what, I actually hated her too at a point, oh, I told I to her face many times how I felt, dad too, I blamed both of them for every mistake I made, I hated her guts and I told her never to visit me in school, you should remember those times…” he smiled at me, I wanted to smile back but I spoke instead.
“I don’t get your point.”
“Oh, my point exactly is that, its normal that you’re angry, yes, I mean you were just ten when you were sent to a boarding school so far away from home, and you had to go through many things alone but then, all their no-time, and work-every time is to secure a future for you, for all of us. Now what is abnormal is when you don’t grow out of the hatred.” He stood and stretched before extending his right hand to me. I turned my face to the wall.
“Come on now, don’t argue with me o, what you need is a walk and if you try to prove stubborn, I’ll carry you, I mean it. So decide now, what’s it going to be?” and he started laughing. “Hahaha, very funny, sha pull me up.” He did. I felt light-headed and swayed a little and I leaned on him for support

“You see what starvation can do? Please don’t kill yourself o.”
“Maybe I should eat something before we go except you have the strength to carry me.”
“Why won’t I have the strength to lift you, with this your paper weight.” He moved back a bit to have proper look at me then screwed his nose and shook his head.
“You’re in a sorry state.” He said. I laughed and punched his arm playfully. We went down to the kitchen and met our cousins and their friend Dele gisting.
“I see someone is feeling better…” Mayokun, the ever smiling girl, remarked.
“… what would you like to eat, there’s bread, rice, cereal, beverage, amala, em what else do we have o…”
“Oh, I think that will be enough for now Mayokun, so princess what would you like to eat?” Ayo asked, looking at me.
“A few slices of bread will do.” I replied and lowered myself on one of the four white plastic chairs arranged round the white four-legged rectangular table in the kitchen.
“How are you? Feeling better?” Dupe asked me in her trademark low voice.
“I’m very well, feeling better already, thanks.” I replied.
“Thank God for that, it shows, you look brighter, those drugs must have really worked well.” Dele chipped in.
“Thanks for your concern.” I said simply. I felt uncomfortable with the mention of GOD. (I really did not believe in him, I just felt He was wicked, selfish and un-caring because if he was the loving father people called him, He would never have watched as asthma killed me slowly and would have given my parents a better sense of duty towards my siblings and I. I am a Christian or a church goer as some people would like to classify me but I had my reservations about this God that was being preached. My family has never been the one to wake up on a Sunday morning and get ready for church except on special service Sundays like the first Sunday of the year and maybe cross-over services, church going had always been a matter of choice, much as I knew, my mum had never really been a church person, her free Sundays had always been for resting while my dad was a selfless giver to the church and the things of God, he always said that was why God had blessed him so much.) Mayokun already had five slices of bread for me, on a blue ceramic plate, and a mug of hot chocolate beverage. I looked behind me and realised Ayo had left the kitchen.
“Butter or Jam?” Mayokun asked.
“None thank you.”
“Okay dear.” I stood, carried the food and was on my way out of the kitchen when I swayed a little but Dele caught me.
“Are you sure that bread will be enough for you?” He asked. I smiled simply and left the kitchen. He must have a bad impression of me by now; I’ve not been particularly nice to him since I arrived. Ayo was on the phone when I got to the living room, he didn’t seem too pleased with whoever he was talking to. He hung up just as I lowered myself into the couch and placed the food on a side stool.
“Work?” I asked when he turned to face me.
“Yeah, some people think I’m too young to give them orders.”
“They can leave if they don’t want to work again.”
“Of course, it’s past noon dear; eat quickly so we don’t get caught in traffic.” I nodded a yes. “Let’s go then.” Ayo laughed.
“Not so fast young lady, you’ve not touched your food.”
“Just did.” I said as I touched the bread.
“Very funny, you can bring it along and eat in the car.”
“Great idea.”
“Mayokun!” Ayo called.
“Yes?” she answered from the kitchen.
“You guys want to join us for a drive?”
“Me am going o, are you guys going?” I heard her say as I went out of the house and into Ayo’s car. About two minutes later, my cousins and Dele joined us in the car.
“Nice ride Ayo” Dele remarked.
“Oh, thanks”
“You think this is nice? Wait till you see his second car, I mean it’s an SUV.” Mayokun added. “Yepa! So he has two cars already at this his young age.”
“Yes na, he’s just twenty-three.” Dele whistled
“Ayo I want to be like you o.” meanwhile, Ayo and I exchanged glances and smiled.
“Mayokun, abeg o, don’t let armed robbers attack me o, you know very well that this is a company car and you know who bought the other one for me and as for you Dele, just face your studies and you’ll have all the money you need and even more and you’ll even be better than me.”
“Yeah, true but then, the ride is clean.”
“If you insist sir, thank you.”
“Ayo, you don’t have to be so modest, take credit for once.” Mayokun added. Ayo laughed. By now, we were already on the main express way. The rest of the drive was silent with each one of us thinking our own thoughts. My health was at the fore-front of my mind, I needed to get over this infection before my graduation party. I had only been in aunt Yetunde’s house five days and it felt like ages already. Ayo turned off the engine, I looked up to find that we were already at the mall.
“We’re here guys.” Ayo announced as he unbuckled his seat belt, I rolled my eyes at him. “We’re not blind.” He smiled as the others climbed out of the car. I felt his eyes on me and I looked up from my mug of beverage.
“What?” I asked
“Honey, you’re not helping yourself, you’ve literally not eaten for two days and now, you only managed to eat two slices of bread.”
“I’ve been eating.” I defended. He rolled his eyes.
“I understand that you’ve been picking at your food. How do you want the drugs to work when you’re not eating, look at you, you look so frail and…” Mayokun, knocked on his window, I smiled, grateful for the distraction. I got out of the car before he resumed the sermon, I had heard enough from aunt Yetunde already. I walked round the car to join the rest while Ayo locked the car. We all walked into the mall and started window shopping with Mayokun shrieking anytime she saw something she liked.
After window shopping for about twenty minutes, we headed to one of the restaurants where Ayo bought burgers and soft drinks for everyone but I got something extra, a pasta salad and a pack of juice. We went round the mall one last time before heading home around two PM. Ayo left immediately after he dropped us at home with a promise to call me that night. I walked back to the house slowly, past my cousins who were already snacking, and up to my room where I ate quietly and slowly, the first real food I had had in three days.

TBC

3 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 3:37pm On Apr 10, 2017
****IRETI****

I spotted Amaka, my best friend, waving at me, I smiled. We had only been apart for three weeks but I missed her so much already. The airport was busy as usual. I walked to meet Amaka and hugged her tightly.
“I’m so glad to see you dear, how have you been?” she asked.
“Surviving, Lagos is just not the place for me.”
“You know you could have stayed here, my house is free.”
“Yeah, I know, but my parents and brother insisted that I came to Lagos.”
“Okay, how was your flight?”
“It was good, listened to music all through.”
“Oh! good.” By now, we were already by her mom’s car. We lowered ourselves into the car and the driver pulled out of the parking lot to join Ring road four enroute the Igwe’s residence in Gwarinpa estate. The drive was so much fun because Amaka kept talking about the things she had done in the past three weeks of leaving secondary school. We got home about an hour later, a drive that should normally have taken forty-seven to fifty minutes.
“Settle down dear. We’re shopping today.” Amaka announced as I dropped my bag on her bed, and I frowned.
“Why can’t we go tomorrow?” I asked.
“There’s still so much time today, it’s just past eleven.” Amaka had a way of taking decisions without asking for my opinion.
“My dad won’t send money until tomorrow.” I said.
“Ola, if you want to collect money from your dad, you’re free but you know my mom is paying for our grad shopping.”
“Oh, I see.”
“Yeah”
“Okay, I need to eat first before going anywhere.”
“Sure, Stella must have something for you.”
“She had better have something, I’m famished.” Amaka led the way downstairs, to the kitchen.
Two hours later, Amaka and I were in a clothes store at the mall. We had already bought the same dinner dresses for prom and were now in search of the perfect grad wear, according to Amaka. I sat on a bench in the shop slowly spooning my already melted ice-cream; I decided to drink what was left. I was already tired from looking at so many shoes and jewellery since Amaka was the fashion freak, I really had no choice but to look at them. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, stood and realised Amaka had left the shop. I got up and went in search of her. I saw her in another store, looking at shoes. I entered and tapped her from behind.
“Babe, where have you been?” I rolled my eyes and she hissed.
“I need your help here, which colour do you prefer?” she asked holding up two stiletto-heeled sandals. I pointed at the pink one because I guessed that would be her choice. I was right. She nodded in affirmative and dropped the black sandals.
“So prom is settled?” I asked, just to be sure we were leaving soon.
“Pretty much.” She answered and smiled before going to pay for the shoes (we wear the same sizes of shoes so she had no problem picking my shoe.) left to me, we could wear the same shoes for prom and the valedictory service but Amaka thought otherwise. I smiled at my thought before following her out of the shop. Amaka checked the time on her wrist-watch and frowned.
“Babe, we’re pressed for time.”
“It’s just two-thirty.” I added, trying to sound interested knowing full well that I had very little or no say at all when it came to Amaka and shopping.
“What do you think we should wear on grad day?” Amaka asked.
“Amaka Igwe, I hope you are not planning to buy something outside of what the school authorities instructed o?”
“There’s no harm in bending a rule my dear, shebi they want us to wear wine shirt, that’s what we’ll wear but with a little twist.”
“Okay o.”
“Let’s check this place for suits.”
“Thank God we’re wearing suits.” I said rolling my eyes.
“Yeah, yeah, just be careful so your eyes don’t roll out. Please note that we are wearing something different for the after-party.”
“No way, count me out, I don’t have enough patience to change clothes and probably shoes too for a one-day affair.” Amaka laughed.
After looking at, and trying on some suits for about forty minutes, we finally got the perfect suits and we were ready to leave the mall. I bought another ice-cream, in a cone this time, on our way out. Kingsley was such a quiet and patient man unlike my own drivers in Lagos who would have bombarded me with calls if I stayed an extra minute more than the specified time. Kingsley helped put our things in the car trunk and we were set to go when Amaka suddenly screamed. Kingsley marched the brake before looking back at us.
“What is the matter now?” he asked a wide-eyed Amaka. I was scared too since I had no clue of what could be wrong. Amaka had always been a drama queen, everybody knew that. She slowly looked from me to kingsley and back before speaking.
“Oh my Gosh, I can’t believe I forgot to buy a watch to match my grad outfit.” Kingsley smiled and I hissed.
“You don’t have to be such a drama queen, we both know you’ll find a watch among the ones you already have.” I expected Kingsley to continue his driving, which he did, but instead of heading towards the gate, he parked the car and said Amaka could go and get what she wanted. She got out of the car and stared intently at me; I got the message and hissed again. She sighed and went back into the mall. What a joke I thought, how did she expect me to go back with her? I pulled out my phone and plugged in my earpiece, I was about to play a song when Kingsley spoke.
“Hissing is quite a bad habit.” While he spoke, he adjusted the mirror so he could see my face. He was smiling and I was pissed, I had barely finished eating when Amaka rushed me out of the house and now she expected me to go back to buy a wrist-watch with her, one she’d definitely abandon after grad on Saturday just as she’d abandoned the ones she had already. Kingsley was still smiling.
“I am tired and hungry and I see no reason why Amaka wants yet another watch.”
“That’s Amaka for you.”
“But don’t you think you’re spoiling her?”
“My dear, I’m not ready to lose my job o, so let me do everything she wants.”
“Wait o, do you mean you’ll lose your job if you refuse Amaka?”
“I might, you know she’s the only child and all employees are expected to pamper her.” I hissed. “Hissing again?” Kingsley asked and laughed. I plugged my ears with my earpiece and played a song. I really did not remember when any employee was instructed to pamper me or my siblings even though there was still some form of respect accorded to us as oga’s children. Fact is Amaka’s family was wealthier than mine, her dad was a federal lawmaker and her mom ran a boutique in the city centre but that was not license enough to over-pamper her. I sighed inwardly and closed my eyes as I settled down to the song being played.
About half an hour later, Amaka re-appeared with her I’m-not-too-pleased-with-what-I-bought face. I laughed at her and she frowned more. I paused the song just as Kingsley started the car engine.
“Let me see.” I said, still smiling. She carelessly threw the small black box she had been holding, at me. I opened it and behold, I was staring down at a lovely wine coloured Puntarossa swatch.
“It’s lovely!” I exclaimed.
“It’s too plain.” Amaka whined, I did not need to look at her face to know that she could cry any moment.
“Amaka, the watch is nice, if it wasn’t, I’m sure you would not have bought it.” I said firmly, now looking at her. She sobbed and a tear ran down her face. I rolled my eyes. Why does she have to be like this? I felt like screaming at her but I knew better from experience, she’d only cry louder and won’t stop until I did something really nice which I was not in the mood for, so far, she was not wailing but the tears were there. I sighed.
“Amaka, you can manage it for grad.” I said, since that’s what she obviously wanted to hear. She wiped her tears with the back of her palm and sniffed before speaking;
“Are you sure it’s manageable?” she asked
“Yes dear.” She smiled.
“Thanks.” I closed the box and handed it back to her. That’s Amaka for you, my bestie, sometimes I wonder how we get along because we do and I love her like that, we’ve always had each other’s backs since she joined my school in JSS two, we’d become inseparable ever since, we even lived in the same hostel as seniors. Amaka had always been my voice whenever I needed it; she was one of the most nasty, sassy girls in my class and also among the top three too. I had also been among the top five. Amaka was a girl nobody wanted to cross paths with not because she was not nice to those that were close to her but she was a snub and that made a lot of our classmates steer clear. The truth actually is that Amaka was really a nice and fun girl; one just had to study and understand her moods and find a way to manage her.

Olamide and I sat in the backseat of Ayo’s car with dad at the front passenger’s seat. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, a day after my graduation party. I had had so much fun with my classmates at the after party, there were a lot of drinks, alcohol I mean, I drank a lot but not enough to get me drunk. Ayo was driving us to an eatery since dad had said we needed to celebrate my success. It had been a pleasant surprise to see dad and both of my brothers at the valedictory service.
Ayo found a spot and parked the car. We all got down and walked into the restaurant. Olamide and I found a table while dad and Ayo went to order our meal. As we sat, I stared intently at the handsome ten-year old stranger who was supposedly my brother. Olamide looked weird in his geeky glasses which he kept pushing up the bridge of his nose, with his right middle finger, at intervals and I wondered if the frames were too heavy for his slim nose to support. He looked at me and caught me staring.
“I’m not comfortable with you staring at me that way…” I smiled. “I really don’t know you.” He said. I was surprised but the expression disappeared as quickly as it had come and I smiled again.
“Was that a joke?” he asked and I grinned this time.
“No sir, it was not, and yes, you’re right, I don’t know you either.” I replied.
“Yeah, so how do you plan to know me better, we could spend the holiday together, my opinion though.” I nodded, Olamide sounded really smart for his ten years.
“Is that a yes or a no?” he asked.
“It’s a yes sir.” I replied.
“Okay, cool, so when are you coming to Lagos?”
“When are you going back to Lagos?” I asked.
“I’m leaving with dad, I don’t know why Ayo decided to bring his car, the drive was too long and boring.” I laughed, not because of what he said but the look of disgust on his face was hilarious. He smiled too.
“Our food is here.” Olamide announced and I looked up to see Ayo and daddy carrying a tray with two plates of food each. Rice and chicken, typical, I thought.
“I’m so happy to see all three of you together like this after such a long time…” Dad said as we started eating. “I want you all to know that your mom and I love you so much but the nature of both our jobs is the only challenge this family has.” He added.
“Why don’t you change your job or stop working, shebi we already have plenty money.” Olamide said.
“Smart boy.” Dad commended.
“Well Olami, it won’t be so easy for them to stop working like that and just so you know, everything they are doing now is for our future. Ayo said. Dad looked at me with expectant eyes, what does he want me say now? I thought, if I open my mouth, I might say the wrong thing but I spoke anyway.
“I’m not too pleased with them and please Ayo, don’t try to defend them, they’ve not done the right thing.” I said and Ayo smiled.
“I’m not defending anybody my dear.” I made a face at him. I didn’t like where the conversation was heading, I was not ready for an argument now.
“Okay, whatever, can we at least enjoy our meal?” I added. Dad nodded in agreement and as if on cue, we all continued eating. Dad had always been a man of few words so I could excuse him for not contributing to what I said. Thirty minutes later, we were done eating and about to leave the restaurant.
“Um, dad?” I said
“Yes dear?” he answered with a smile.
“I’d like to get something for Amaka.” He grinned now
“Sure.” He said counting a few thousand naira notes and handing them to me.
“Nice, thanks.” I said, smiling as I counted the money which was obviously too much to get snacks for Amaka. I walked back to the counter to get what I wanted while the others went to the car. I paid for what I bought and quickly joined my family.
“Where to?” Ayo asked dad.
“Where does my baby girl want to go?” dad asked me, I rolled my eyes and shrugged my shoulders. “Anywhere.” I replied simply.
“Is it just me or do you have a bad habit of rolling your eyes at people?” Olamide asked with a frown and I smiled.
“It’s a habit alright, but bad is not the right adverb to qualify it with.” Olamide smiled and rolled his eyes too.
“Okay…” dad cleared his throat. “Where do you want us to go?” he asked again.
“Um, let’s go to the mall then.”
“Okay o, oga driver, please take us there.”
We got to the mall and dad bought a lot of things for me. I was really happy by the end of the day, I wished the day would go on and on, it had been so long since is spent time with any member of my family especially dad and Olamide, whom I barely knew, he was just three when I was sent to school in Abuja. I never really went to Lagos during holidays, instead, I spent my holidays in Port Harcourt with my dad’s brother- uncle Bosun- and his family. I’ve never really been a Lagos person, my family lived in Abeokuta before I left and only moved to Lagos a year after, when Olamide was four years old.
I got to Amaka’s house really tired and spent from all the fun of the day but that was not enough reason not to relate the day’s events to the ever curious Amaka, I knew that if I wanted to have a peaceful night rest, I just had to give her details but just one thought bothered me, my mum had not as much as called to congratulate me. I tried to push the thought aside but it was difficult and if anything, it only made me hate her more. I fell asleep that night happy with my dad for making out time to come for my graduation party and at the same time I was really angry with my mom.

Two months after my official graduation from high school, I sat in the front passenger seat of Ayo’s SUV as we drove to the university I would be resume in a few weeks. I was excited but then I wished Amaka was in the same school with me.
“… but I can assure you that you’ll have so much fun.” Ayo was saying. He gave me a side glance. “Are you too happy to say anything?” I smiled; I was not listening to what he was saying.
“Not really, I’m just reminiscing and yeah, I hope to have a lot of fun.”
“Good, mom will be in Nigeria next week, maybe she’ll help bring your stuff when you’re ready to move to the hostel.” He shot me a side glance again.
“No, thank you.”
“You know, it’s not a bad idea if she helps to…”
“Please, if you won’t bring me, I’d rather take a cab.” I said, cutting him short. Ayo sighed. “You know, she already apologised, the least you can do is forgive her, for Christ’s sake, she’s your mom...” he slammed his fist on the steering wheel, I knew he was angry and decide to be silent.
“… Why do you want to make things more difficult than they are?” I was angry too, I had every right to be, she only called me three weeks after my graduation and sent twenty thousand naira to my account to spoil myself, please, dad had spoiled me enough, his presence alone was enough. I did not blame Ayo though; he just wanted everybody to get along and pretend not to have issues. Ayo sighed, clearly frustrated with my silence, disappointed maybe.
“You know you have to answer me.” He said simply.
“I don’t know what to say.” He sighed again.
“Okay, but can I remind you that she’s your mom and you can’t stay angry with her forever.”
“I know but you don’t expect me forget how she…”
“I know how you feel dear but you just have to forget whatever she did, forgive her and move on with life because she’s your mom.” It was my turn to sigh. I did not realise we were already at the school gate, Ayo wound down his window to collect a gate pass since he didn’t have a parking sticker on his car. He drove into the school premises and straight to the Faculty of science where I was to complete my registration. He parked the car.
“Today is a big day for you and I really want it to be a memorable one. So we’ll just push all thoughts and talk about the family aside and fun today...” he pulled my ear playfully and I smiled. “… Shall we?” he asked and we climbed out of the car. Ayo locked the car and we left the car park. I tried really hard to forget our little discussion about mom but it was difficult. I had to forgive her somehow, I made up my mind to do just that and to also forget anything I had against her but that would be after I had a really long talk with her just to voice my grudge and to also hear what she had to say in her defence.
Three hours later, I had successfully completed my registration to study computer science in one of Nigeria’s biggest and finest universities. I was really happy; Ayo had been really helpful too. Lectures were to resume in two weeks and all hostel would be open in ten days, I hoped mom would be back before then; maybe we could shop for my school stuff together, just maybe. We were on our way home now, we decided to eat out but when we saw the traffic, we had to go home straight.

TBC

3 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 9:56am On Apr 11, 2017
****IRETI****

“Are you ready for lunch?” mom asked as I set down the extra provision she had just bought.
“Maybe.” I replied.
“I’m really hungry.”
“Okay, what are we going to cook?” I asked.
“Cook ke, let’s go to one of those bukas and eat jare, it’s been a while I ate in a buka.” She said and laughed, I didn’t find it funny.
“Bu- what? And since when did you start eating in bukas?” I asked, surprise clearly evident in my voice and shock written all over my face. Mom simply smiled.
“There’s always a first time for everything dear, and eating there once won’t kill you, you know.” I shrugged my shoulders indifferently.
“Count me out then, you can go ahead.” She laughed and I kept wondering what was so funny.
“What is so funny?” I asked.
“Sweetheart, tell me what you have against bukas.”
“You never taught us to eat in dirty places like bukas.” Mom was laughing hard now. Not that her laughter was infectious or anything but I could not help the smile that touched my lips, maybe because it had so long I saw laugh so hard. I folded my arms across my chest and waited for her laughter to subside.
“My dear, who told you bukas are dirty, or let me say not all bukas are dirty, there nice bukas in Lagos where you’d think you’re in one of those expensive restaurants. Okay, let’s make a deal, this weekend, I’ll take you a buka and if you still have your reservations about eating there, it’s fine, plus the food is really nice, I promise, you’ll love it, trust me.” I smiled again.
“Okay, if you say so, let’s go then.”
We ate in a calabar canteen and trust me when I say the meal was really good, the Afang soup tasted much better than Aunt Mercy’s and the Eba was just the right texture. I made a mental not to visit the place again. Mom drove me back to my hostel few minutes after eating, she’d received a business call that needed her presence urgently, typical, I thought.
“Mercy will soups and stews for you every weekend, just tell her what you want.” She said as she stopped the car in front of my hostel. I nodded and climbed out of the car, I walked round to mum’s side of the car as she wound down the window.
“I love you.” She said.
“Love you too.” She smiled.
“I’ll see you when?”
“Mom! You said this weekend now.”
“I know, the weekend is Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So when will it be okay?”
“Em, let’s do Sunday.”
“Great, I have to go now; your dad and Olamide will be here later this week.”
“Okay, see you on Sunday then.” I stepped back from the car and waved, she blew a kiss as she drove away. I entered the hostel and straight to my room where I Tomisin met cooking.
“Hi.” She greeted.
“Hi.”
“Welcome, your mom left already?”
“Yeah.”
“Nice, I’m cooking rice, care for some?”
“No, thanks but I thought we’re not allowed to cook in the room.”
“Yes, I know but since this is the first week, I can do and undo because people are not much in the hostel yet and those porters are still lazy but by the time lectures start and the hostel is full, they’ll start inspecting room.”
“I see.” Was all I could say in response. I checked the time on my phone, four-thirty PM. I took off my shoes and clothes slowly, observing Tomisin as I did. She sat on the single bed, reading a novel while glancing at her stove at intervals. Her slim, long legs were resting on a low stool in front of her, her toe nails were painted red while her well-trimmed finger nails were painted black. What a combination, I thought to myself. She was wearing a blue, baggy, but not over-sized, round-necked T-shirt over tight jean bum-shorts, I looked at her face and noticed she wore neither make-up nor earrings, she had a very small mouth and pointed nose; overall, I thought she was beautiful in a unique way. She must have felt my eyes on her because she looked up so fast that I had no time to look away. She held my gaze for a while and then smiled.
“I’m not an alien; I’m flesh and blood like you.” She said and I smiled too.
“Sorry I was staring.”
“No qualms, it’s a free world, maybe after your bath, we’ll get to know each other better.” I nodded and picked my bucket and toilet bag before leaving the room in my towel and shower cap and went towards where I thought the bathroom should be. The bathroom had just five bath cubicle, I entered the cleanest one I could find and to my dismay, there was no water. I re-tied my towel and back to my room, Tomisin was squatting over a bowl of water where she put in tree boiled eggs to cool and was in the process of un-shelling them. She looked up as I entered.
“There’s no water in the bathroom.” She smiled.
“Yes, I know, you’ll have to goan fetch water from the laundry downstairs. They won’t pump enough water since the hostel is practically empty, I thought you already knew that’s why I didn’t tell you before.” She said, adulterating the words “go and”. I went downstairs and fetched my bucket full. Fetching a bucket of water was not really a problem because I did it in high school, once in a while when the pumping machine broke down, but the school authorities would apologise profusely and make sure the problem was fixed before the end of the day. They had to, our parents were paying so much money and it was uncalled for that there would be issues of water.
After my bath, I changed into a pair of brown leggings and a black bra top. Tomisin was already eating, I brought out my phone to check my whatsapp and just as I expected, I had new messages, twenty-one, ten of which were from a curious Amaka who wanted me to send her pictures of my hostel, room, roommates and anything related to my school. I dialled her number immediately after reading her messages and she picked on the first ring.
“Hi dearie.” She said excitedly and a short converstion followed.
Later that night, Tomisin and I chatted for an hour or more before we both went to bed. I had cornflakes for dinner. I got to know that Tomisin was in her second year studying architecture, she told me our roommate would definitely be a final year student. She had told me about her stay in school the previous academic year and some do’s and don’ts of the hostel which she called ‘the hidden constitution of the porters.’ It was fun talking to her; I concluded that I liked her already. Did I mention that I can’t cook? Well that was the sad truth, I couldn’t cook anything save for noodles, white rice and yam. I blame my mom because she never taught me any of these things and never instructed aunt Mercy to teach me.

“Hi, I’m Oluwadunsin, you can call me Dunsin.” I turned to look at the person who had just whispered her name in my ear while I was trying my best to make sense of what the CHM lecturer standing in front of the class was saying.
“Hi.” I replied and looked away.
“Your name?”
“Ola.”
“Okay, do you understand what the man is saying?” now, I was pissed.
“I’m trying to concentrate so it would be nice if you just kept quiet already.” I replied still not looking at her.
“That was rude.” She said calmly.
“I know but you are clearly and obviously disturbing my concentration.” I said as I looked at her, assessing her expression which I loved, she sounded calm but looked like she was ready to explode. I thought it was so much fun to get people angry. She hissed and smiled immediately, weird! I thought and I looked away.
“I’m sorry.” She said a few seconds later, taking me by surprise and I looked at her, she had a weird smile, more like a mocking one to show she had paid me back in my own coin. I nodded and looked away quickly.
“… none of you females and even males are as old as my last daughter so it would be in your best interest to respect me and for your information, I don’t give free marks often and when I do, you must have worked really hard to earn it. That would be all for now, any questions?” he adjusted his tie which I thought was awkward and out of place, picked his note and headed for the exit when he abruptly turned.
“Who’s your class president?” he asked and we all stared back at him in response.
“Nobody? Then you don’t have any record with me till you get one.” Shouts of ah, sir, please o, we are new, this is just our first lecture filled the lecture hall and the lecturer smiled giving me the impression that he was enjoying our reaction.
“I might as well appoint someone for my course.” He looked round the hall for a while and pointed to a tiny looking boy in black pants and a chelsea FC jersey.
“You, stand up. What’s your name?”
“David sir.”
“David what?”
“David Okoh sir.”
“Good, you are the president for my course, you guys can vote for another president but he’ll be the representing you all for my course. Have a good day.”
“Sir, we don’t know your name o.” someone shouted from the back of the class. All heads turned towards where the voice had come from. The lecturer wore a deep frown.
“Who said that?” he asked. Personally, I thought the class was in trouble if we did not fish out the culprit but I was wrong.
“Well, I believe the lecturer code with their names and respective subjects has been pasted on your department’s notice board. Will that be all? ... Good, you people don’t know me yet. Have a good day.” He added the latter after a moment of deafening silence. With that frown, one would have thought we were in big trouble; maybe he was still tolerating us because this was the first meeting. Immediately after he left, the class became noisy. I brought out my phone to check my messages and as I expected, I had four SMS from my network provider, ten whatsapp messages three of which were from Amaka, two from my mom and five from my cousin Mayokun. Mayokun message informed me that she had resumed the day before, and she had sent me her room number and had asked if I could come see her ( Mayokun was studying accountancy aith her friend Dele but he was in a different school.) I would have loved it if we were staying in the same hostel, at least we could get to know ourselves better and form a bond that literally does not exist. I was still replying my messages and trying really hard to ignore the noise around me when I felt a light tap on my left shoulder. I turned and behold, it was miss-disturber again. I frowned to register my displeasure and she smiled.
“Sorry for bothering you, em… oh! Yes, Ola right?”
“Yes.” I replied still frowning, not because I was angry but because I felt she was winning our little nasty game.
“This is our first lecture in this school so I’m just trying to make friends.”
“Oh, okay, that’s nice, good luck making friends then.”
“So we are friends already.” I really don’t know if it was a question but it sounded more like a statement. I would have replied her if I had the upper hand and I was a bit surprised that my be-mean-so-that-they-will-leave trick had not worked with her. She had my attention now and I turned, as much as the desk could allow, looking at her.
“Yes, I guess we are.”
“Okay, thanks.” She said with a smile and began packing her bag.
“Are you leaving already?” I asked.
“Yes.” She said simply without looking at me and this greatly irritated me, this girl was obviously a pro at making people feel stupid, I still had a lot to learn.
“But we still have another lecture.”
“I know, I just got here this morning and I’ve not arranged my things so I have to go now, see you around.” With that she stood to leave. I had lost.
“Okay, bye.” I murmured.
“Em, let me have your phone number.” She said pointing her phone to me.
“Okay.” I said and typed in the eleven digits.
“Thanks, I’ll call you when I’m done.”
“No problem, bye.” I watched her leave before I turned my attention back to the rowdy class and decide to also talk to one or two persons. Everybody on the row I sat had gone save for the guy to my extreme right. I moved closer to him but he was too pre-occupied with his phone to notice me, he did not as much as look, I sat next to him and just stared wondering how he could be so engrossed in the gadget and be oblivious of his surroundings. Finally, he looked up and smiled.
“Hi.” He said with a slight American accent.
“Finally.” I said rolling my eyes.
“Sorry, you need something?” he asked, his smile fading.
“Oh, nothing much, I just wanted to ask if we could be friends.” He laughed now. “You’re not serious, are you?” I rolled my eyes again.
“Do I look like a joke?”
“You’re funny, aren’t you?” he said still smiling.
“Am I?”
“Sure you are. Why not, we can be friends, I’m Richard.”
“Great, I’m Ola, pleasure meeting you.” I said with a smile.
“Sure, you have a nice name. do you live on or off campus?”
“On campus.”
“Me too.”
“Nice.” He simply nodded.
“Do you have a copy of the timetable?” I asked just to keep the conversation going. “Yeah, I do.”
“Can I make a copy?”
“Yeah, sure, we can go now.”
“Okay.” We both left the lecture hall with our bags and walked towards where we could make a photocopy of the timetable. On our way back to class, Richard bought snacks and offered me some but i9 declined. We sat gisting in class for about three hours before we finally decide to go our respective hostels. He saw me to my hostel before going to his. Just as I entered the hostel, someone tapped from behind. I turned and smiled on recognition, it was Dunsin, the girl from class, she asked to borrow my notes and I told her she had not missed a thing. We exchanged room numbers after the promised to call me for class the next day. I was so tired from sitting and doing nothing all day and I was really glad to find that Tomisin had filled my food flask with green rice, the colour gotten from a generous addition of curry, with a sparse amount of carrots. Just as I finished eating, I heard a knock.

TBC

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 10:02am On Apr 11, 2017
Hi guys, I'm sorta new here, I'd like you guys to please make comments and corrections.
Thank you. wink kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by abefe99: 11:17am On Apr 11, 2017
ur write up is good dear keep it coming

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 1:17pm On Apr 11, 2017
****IRETI****

“Yes?” I asked as I opened the door.
“This is two-fourteen B right?”
“Obviously.” I replied; the irritation and anger returning at the stranger’s rudeness.
“Okay.” She said and made to push past me.
“Excuse you? Courtesy demands you introduce yourself and also let me know why you’re here.” I snapped and blocked the doorway from the rude intruder with my thin body.
“Oh! This is my friends’ room.”
“Which friend, because the last time I checked, there are human beings with names living here.” I was determined to be nasty.
“She’s not moved in yet, she’ll be here later this week.”
“So what do you want?” I retorted barely able to contain the anger rapidly rising inside me.
“I need her key.”
“For what?”
“Ahahn, what is a key used for?”
“News flash, I can’t give you any key until your friend moves in.” I replied stressing the words “your friend” sarcastically.
“Shoo, what is doing this one?” she said in pidgin clapping her hands in the process. In response, I stared blankly at her. “Abeg give me key make I commot for here jare.”
“You know what; you’re really rude and nasty.”
“E be like say you be butter abi, as I dey look you sef gan, you be fresher.”
“And…”
“You better mind that your sharp ajebutter mouth of yours if you know say you wan last for this school. Why I even dey argue sef, abeg madam, no waste my time, enter house go carry key give me make I bounce.” She said pointing into the room. I hissed and just stared. Who did she think she was? I was ready for whatever but I would not give her the key, don’t blame for not trusting her, I was used to hostel life, there was a ninety percent chance that she didn’t know the supposed “roommate”. I smiled at the expression on her face when I didn’t move from the door. She clapped her hands thrice in the customary Nigerian way, kpa-kpa-kpa, to show surprise or disbelief. Just then, Tomisin appeared on the corridor.
“Roomie, what’s going on here?” I would have answered if the other girl had not been faster.
“E good as you come, you also live in this room?” she asked Tomisin in what sounded more like an accusation to me.
“Yes, why?”
“Abeg, tell this fresher make she give me key, she don dey waste my time.”
“Which key?” Tomisin asked.
“Thank you, please ask her very well.” I added.
“Key to this room, my friend will be here later this week, make e no be say una two no go dey house when we come.”
“Em, sorry, we can’t drop our key like that, maybe you should take my number just in case.”
“Nawa o, wetin dey inside to drop key abi una think say I wan come thief your load abi na wetin?”
“A lot is in it, if you can’t take the number, then you can leave.” Tomisin said with an air of finality. Suddenly, the girl flared up.
“I been think say you get sense, but I don see say una two dey craze, I resemble thief for your eye abi wetin una get wey I no get, even times ten, you con dey here dey tell me rubbish, I no kuku blame you, na Daisy wey send me yeye message I blame.” She hissed and walked away, Tomisin and I exchanged glances and burst into laughter. I went back into the room to carry the bowl of dirty plates down to the kitchen. Today was really exciting, and I was beginning to like my stay in this hostel, I just wonder how it would be like when all the rooms are filled with girls of different characters and behaviours. I did the dishes and joined Tomisin, my bunk mate, to prepare dinner.

"who is your corse rep?" The casually dressed, pot bellied lecturer with his black purse expertly secured under his arm, asked. There was no response.
"Do I have to repeat my self?" he asked again, still no response, the lecture theatre was grave silent, one would have thought there was a huge amount to be won just by being silent. Suddenly, the quietness was pierced by a voice from the back of the class.
"Ahahn, are you all deaf?" the voice shouted and then another replied
"David, the man is asking for our course rep now." All eyes turned in David's direction and he was forced to stand when the lecturer looked his way. David looked bored as he stood with his arms crossed over his chest. The lecturer eyed him and laughed.
"And you are the course rep?" he asked sarcastically.
"No sir!" the class burst into laughter, clearly, the lecturer had been unprepared for David's show of confidence.
"Quiet!" he barked "Now, back to you young man, what do you mean by the answer you just gave me? and will you stand right and keep those hands by your side and out of your pockets!"
"Sir, the lecturer that came yesterday picked me to rep the class for his course alone, I don't know why they're calling my name now." David replied emphasising the words ' his course alone'.
"I see..." the lecturer said, dropping his purse on the desk closest to him and bringing out his glasses. "... In that case, you will also be my course rep. What's your name again?"
"David sir."
"David sir, what a funny surname, I've never heard anyone bear such a surname as 'sir' before." Mr lecturer replied and some of us giggled.
"David Okoh sir." One could tell from David's facial expression that he was either irritated or just fed up.
"Very good, please sit." He retrieved a blue marker pen and a duster from his purse and wrote on the board, in bold capital letters, his na,e and the course he would be taking us. I read it carefully 'AKINTOLA A.H GNS 101. Mr Akintola took his time as he slowly replaced the cap on his marker pen before turning to face the class. He checked the time on his silver wrist-watch and smiled.
"I believe everyone of you can see and read what I have painstakingly written on the board, not many letcurers would do this but, for the benefit of those, among you, who cannot read, I'll read it out for you..." he turned slightly to look at the board. "... it says Akintola A.H, A for Abimbola, H for Hassan. GNS 101 is the course I will be taking you this semester, GNS simply means general and natural studies, GNS 101 is English. In summary, all the grammar i've been speaking simply means you'll be seeing my handsome face and big stomach for the whole of the semester.

"By my watch here, it is 8:45 AM. This means, I will be here for the next one hour and fifteen minutes. Before anything, this is our first meeting and I will like to know your names (pause) OK, let me start with the young lady to my extreme right. Please note that I need just your first and not surnames, thank you. Madam, you can start." The girl said her name and the next and the next... I looked round the hall and did a mental calculation of large the crowd was and I concluded that we were somewhere between ninety-five and one-twenty. By the time we were done, Mr Akintola gave his do's and dont's, a brief introduction of his course and proceeded to write the course outline on the board. Merely looking at him, I guessed he was in his late thirties or early forties. He gave us some time to take down the note and he started gisting with us, he instructed David Okoh to see him in his office and it was time for him to leave. That was the beginning of David's days as our class president.

After English, another lecturer came and introduced himself as Ajibola Isiaka, our physics lecturer. During break, Richard found me, somehow, and I introduced him to Dunsin, who had been sitting beside me all day, and so our three-man gang was formed.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by MhizDherbee(f): 9:03pm On Apr 11, 2017
Gr8 story! m jez sad dat i wuld haf 2 wait 4 d completion of d story... *sadface*
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 10:34am On Apr 12, 2017
****IRETI****

What a wonderful semester! I thought as i sat alone on one of the many concrete benches scattered around the campus. The semester had been a good one, somehow, I had overcome my phobia of meeting new people and I had quite a number of friends, not just in class but in the hostel too. i smiled to myself at the thought of the hostel, there was so much activity going on at once, if someone wasn't cursing because here clothes has disappeared from the clothes line, it would be two people fighting or porters threatening to eject residents for being untidy or any silly reason they could think of. I love the hostel, well I am used to it, but these days, it always quiet and people seemed to be minding their own business reason being that exams are just a few days away. Whilst still reminiscing, I felt a light tap on my shoulders, I smiled as Richard walked round the bench to sit beside me.

"Why are you by yourself?" he asked.
"I was waiting for you."
"I'm here, we can go now, can't we?" I smiled again aas we both got up and strolled to the school library. I like Richard's accent and the way he used question tags at the end of almost every sentence he spoke. I couldn't blame him though, his family had just moved back to Nigeria five years ago, he was born in Manchester city and then they had moved to New York when he five. I found it hard to believe Richard and I are the same age until he showed me his birth ceritificate, he was such a quiet and good guy, he never spoke too much and he's really intelligent, brilliant should be the appropriate word. Richard had been my study partner since day one, not for any special reason but because he was the most serious friend and course mate I had so far.

After reading for some time, I lost interest and decided to take a stroll to stretch my limbs, I had never really liked reading for more than three hours at a time unlike Richard who could read non-stop for five hours. I yawned.
"I need to take a walk." I whispered to Richard, respecting the Library rule of quietness. I walked out of the library and checked the time on my pink leather-strapped laurine wrist-watch. 11:21. So I had only read for two hours and fifteen minutes. I walked slowly towards the senate building where I was sure to find students reading, I wonder how they concentrate though. I decided to get snacks for myself and Richard. My phone vibrated against my right thigh, I pulled it out and smiled as I saw the caller ID, Amaka.

"Babe." I said as I put the phone to my right ear.
"Sweetheart, how are you?" she sounded tired.
"I'm very well ma'am, you sound beat, how have your papers been?"
"Cool, but the one I wrote on Saturday was not Okay, I guess i didn't study enough, I've been sad ever since."
"Cheer up girl, have no worries, you know you cannot fail."
"Yeah, I pray I don't. Just called to say hi, I have a paper by twelve, I love you and miss you soooo much."
"Awww, babe, I love you more but I don't think I miss you that much"
"I know that's a big lie." I heard someone yell Ama in the background and she answered. We said our goodbye's and she hung up.

"Ireti!!!!" someone shouted. It has to be Mayokun because I never introduce myself to anybody here as Ireti, the name is just too old-fashioned. I smiled as I turned to see my beautiful cousin walking towards me and grinning widely that i feared her lips would actually touch her years. She has a peculiar way of walking by the way,seems like she's catwalking and bouncing at the same time, as if she has springs attached to her heels that made them lift as soon as they touched the ground. I hugged her when she was close enough.

"Been a while." she said.
"I know." I replied simply.
"You just forgot me na, our hostels are not that far apart o."
"Yes, I know, but I visit you more than you visit me." I countered.
"Just pulling your legs..." she took two steps back "... See smoke all over your body, omo, those your Physics and Chemistry Lecturers are in hot soup, my bebe will finish them." i laughed
"I pray o."
"So where were you going?"
"To get snacks before I continue reading."
"Where are you reading?"
"At the library." she screwed her face.
"Library sha, that boring place, how do you assimilate there, everywhere will just be silent like grave, hian, you dey try..." I shrugged my shoulders indifferently. "...anyways, my coursemates organised a tutorial, that's where I'm going now, see you later." It sounded more like a question.
"Um, yeah, maybe, I don't know."
"Yes, maybe, I don't know, which one will I take. Maybe i should come see you in your hostel when I'm done."
"Great Idea."
"I'll call you ngbayen." She said as she walked away. I waved and watched her hurry to class, her buttocks swayed graciously to her movement and I smiled to myself. Ah! Mayokun! there was never a dull moment with her. I walked further down to a snack kiosk and bought what I wanted and what I thought Richard would like.

I was almost at the library when my phone rang. I am so dead, I thought as I saw the name displayed. Dunsin.
"Where are you?" she asked angrily as I answered the call. I had promised to call her when Richard and I got to the library.
"Are you now deaf?"
"Babe, slow down, I'm sorry."
"Where are you?" She again, calmly this time.
"I'm going back to the library."
"Okay, I'll join you soon." She hung up. Over the past months, Dunsin and I become best friends but she had just one problem. ANGER. She flared up at the slightest things and it would take a divine intervention for anybody to understand that parf of her.
I kept the snacks in my bag on a shelf just outside the library, not because i was not hungry but because the librarian was strict with the no-eating-in-the-library rule. After about twenty minutes, I got a text from Dunsin. I'M OUTSIDE, COME NOW. I met her signing the log book and we went back to sit, I had kept a space for her earlier.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Bollie29(f): 12:11pm On Apr 12, 2017
Loving the story n more updates please
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 12:28pm On Apr 12, 2017
abefe99:
ur write up is good dear keep it coming
Thanks a lot kiss
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 12:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
MhizDherbee:
Gr8 story! m jez sad dat i wuld haf 2 wait 4 d completion of d story... *sadface*
Um, this is a summarized version, I'm still working on the book and I want to publish it on paper back. Thanks kiss
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 12:31pm On Apr 12, 2017
Bollie29:
Loving the story n more updates please
Thanks, updates a sorta slow because of work, but I'll work out a routine. kiss
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Nobody: 10:34pm On Apr 12, 2017
MhizDherbee:
hello cute face, wud like to be friends with u
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 9:25am On Apr 13, 2017
****IRETI****

After about an hour, Richard tapped me.
“I’m famished, aren’t you?” he whispered.
“I got us something to munch, they’re in my bag.”
“Sweet, let’s eat then.” We stood, Dunsin smiled and winked at me, she had always thought we were dating, I smiled back. We went outside the library and snacked in silence, both of us busy with our phones.
“You’re confident about your performance, aren’t you?” Richard said after a while, his phone, now, out of sight.
“Of course I am!”
“Good because we don’t need fear at this stage, do we?”
“No. That would be bad.”
“I’m glad to hear that. We’re not late for the tutorial yet, are we?”
“Nope, it starts by three.”
“Okay, we’d better get going.” He said tilting his head towards the reading hall. I returned my bag to its place on the shelf. At exactly two-thirty, all three of us signed out of the library for the day and walked towards the school gate, on way to one of course mate’s apartment for the tutorial. Personally, I don’t think Richard needs any tutoring because he knew so much already and many a time, he explained difficult topics Dunsin and I, the whole class sometimes, plus he has always been among the top three during tests. When we got to the school gate, we boarded a bus to our destination. The tutorial lasted for approximately four hours. Richard stayed behind, chatting with some guys while Dunsin and I left immediately. I met my roommate, Daisy, sleeping and I was surprised because the whole hostel was reading and she was lazing around when exams were just six days away. Daisy never really stayed in the hostel and whenever she was around, she was always complaining about one thing or the other. I went straight to Tomisin’s cupboard to check for food, there was none. I sihed loudly and sat on Tomisin’s bed thinking of what to eat and I decided on spaghetti since we had a little stew. In the meantime, I made myself a cup of cornflakes. I carried the stove and pot to the kitchen and went back for the spaghetti, oil, salt, matches and a novel I was reading in a small bowl. It was not news that a simple mistake or let me say carelessness could you a whole meal. Many times, people have had their pots of food and their stoves (in rare cases though) disappear mysteriously from the kitchen. I placed the stove on the concrete slab and lit it. I rinsed the pot at the tap and put in a little water and a few drops of oil before I placed it on the stove and covered it. When the water was hot, I broke the spaghetti into it and salt. I sat on one of the iron chairs in the kitchen and continued reading my novel. In fifteen minutes, my food was ready and I was proud of myself because I was learning how to cook really fast, kudos to Tomisin and Dunsin for being very good and patient and tolerant teachers. I carried the food upstairs first and then went back for the rest, I don’t trust my hostel girls when it comes to food, especially spaghetti.
I dished my food and just as I settled down to eat, Daisy woke up and yawned loudly, lazily. My first instinct was to greet her but I didn’t, she did not deserve my greeting and so I continued eating, not minding her until she hissed really loudly.
“What rubbish is this again? When will you girls learn that I don’t like to share my personal space ehn? How many times do I have to repeat myself? Abi are you girls so dumb ni?” she was facing me now while I stared blankly at her and continued eating.
“See the person I’m talking to.” She snapped her fingers in my face.
“Me? I did not hear my name.”
“So I have to mention your name before you know I’m talking to you, abi who else is in this room…” I shrugged my shoulders “… you know you are trying me in this room, especially you.” She said pointing at me. I smiled and continued eating. I was not trying to be disrespectful, the truth was that I was not ready for an argument, I was physically and mentally drained. She hissed again, picked her bucket and soap case and left the room. Someone knocked and pushed the door open, I smiled as Mayokun walked in with a small hand bag.
“Thank God o, is your spag remaining? I dey H gan.” She did not wait for me to answer her as she was already dishing her own food. She joined me on my bed after dropping her bag carelessly on the floor.
“I saw your roomie going to the bathroom now…” I nodded. “… she was frowning o.”
“Yeah, I know, she just likes wahala. She’s been here for three day now.”
“Abi, omolomo, she wants to coman read na.” I raised my eyebrows.
“It would have been better if she was actually reading. I’m one hundred percent sure she’s attending a party or a club.” Mayokun laughed her sweet laughter and I smiled.
“Ah! Ireti! You girls should give her the benefit of doubt once in a while na, I’m sure Tomisin would have said the same thing.”
“No. Tomisin would have said worse but then, fact is, she doesn’t deserve it. See, let’s forget about her. How was your day?”
“Very productive. This food is sweet o, you cooked it?”
“The spaghetti, you know I can’t cook stew.” Mayokun rolled her eyes.
“Have you tried to?”
“No.”
“So how sure are you that you can’t cook when you’ve never attempted to, try first.” We ate the rest of our meal in silence. Mayokun did the dishes before she left for her hostel. I took a quick shower and slept off as soon as I laid on my bed. The dayhad been eventful and productive too.

TBC
So sorry for the slow updates, I am yet to figure out a routine.

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by MhizDherbee(f): 3:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
prettyboi1989:
hello cute face, wud like to be friends with u
cool!

1 Like

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by MhizDherbee(f): 3:19pm On Apr 13, 2017
Cool! following......
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 13, 2017
MhizDherbee:
cool!
alryt, can we talk beta on bbm or whatsapp? which wud u prefer?
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 4:13pm On Apr 13, 2017
****IRETI****

I felt someone shaking me. Oh God! Tomisin has come again o. I thought. I turned on my side to look at her.
“Sleepy joe, wake up jare. All the sleep you having been sleeping since yesterday is not enough abi.”
“Do you ever sleep? And what time did you come back yesterday?”
Why am I answering you sef, my friend carry those lazy bones of yours and gerrup jare. Yeye girl.” I made a face at her. She had a bottle of coke on the table. She sat on Daisy’s bed, pulled the table to herself and placed the LED lamp she had been holding on it. Sometimes, I wonder why Tomisin read at all, she knows so much already. Not only had she maintained a first class right from her first semester in Uni, she was the second best student in her class and was among number four among the overall best students in her set. The girl is just a genius, I envied her but she never let it get into her head or let it deter her from reading. The girl is just clear-headed, she had a goal and was determined to reach and even surpass it. She was so good that she tutored seniors who had carry-over courses in her department, isn’t that amazing. Her result had come as a shock to me when I had accompanied her to check it earlier in the semester. She is one of the six ladies in the two hundred level Architecture department, her current CGPA stands at an amazing 4.63 just 0.03 points lower than the best student in her class. According to her, that was only the beginning because her initial target had been to make a first class, which she has met, but now she would not relent until she had hit 4.70 points.
I reckoned Tomisin wanted the best for me, that’s why she always woke me whenever she was ready to read, she was never selfish with her knowledge and I learnt a lot from her. I sat up on my bed, checked the time on my watch before I jumped down.
“Did you eat the spaghetti I left for you?” I asked and she laughed.
“That small thing, I can count the strands on one finger. Thank God Samuel bought food for me.” I smiled. Tomisin had introduced me to Samuel two weeks after I resumed school. He is a final year student of civil engineering and Tomisin’s boyfriend. They had been dating for eight months now and were really fond of each other. The good thing is that they never let their relationship distract their academics.
“So you were out with Samuel?”
“No ma, please pick your books and read, na you never get G.P o.”
“Puh-lease, don’t tell me you’re blushing.”
“What did that Richard of a boy give you to drink, I think you are high.” She replied smiling sheepishly.
“Maybe I should get myself a boyfriend too so that I can smile like a mumu when his name is mentioned.”
“What will now happen to Richard o.”
“I’ll tell him I’ve upgraded.”
“Okay, goan get na, sha don’t let it affect your studies.”
“Yes mummy, and for the record, Richard and I are plain friends and study partners.” Tomisin rolled her eyes.
“Yeah, yeah, plain friends right, I get it…” I sat on her bed, checking my whatsapp messages and she threw a bottle of sprite at me.
“… Samuel bought that for you.”
“It has to be Samuel because I know you cannot, out of the blues, buy something for me, do thank him on my behalf.” I mocked.
“Thank God you know (pause) do you want to read or do I have to seize your phone first?” I smiled and put the phone away, picked my books from the foot of the bed and started reading, revising actually. We read for another three hours or thereabout before we both retired to bed around six-thirty AM, it is our lecture free week so we can sleep and wake up whenever we want to. I woke up at exactly quarter past nine and Tomisin was already out again, she was probably at the library. I got up and got ready for my bath, I was sure my breakfast was settled because Tomisin must surely eat before going to read. I was right, she cooked yam porridge garnished with a lot of smoked fish, no wonder Samuel couldn’t get enough of her, her cooking is just awesome and I am glad to be learning from a pro. After eating, I decided to browse the internet since I am not going to the library today. Around eleven-thirty, Dunsin came to my room with her books, I was not in the mood to read so I was glad when she climbed my bed and read quietly on her own. I don’t know when I fell asleep but I know Dunsin woke me around two-thirty to explain something in chemistry to her. After the short tutorial, Dunsin went back to her room and I was really hungry. Just as I finished eating my bread and butter, my phone rang. Mom. What does she want this time? I thought as I swiped my phone’s screen to answer the call.
“Hi! Mom.”
“Ireti, we are Yoruba, we greet elders saying hi.”
“Correction taken and please don’t call me Ireti, I am Ola.”
“Okay madam Ola, how are you? But you do know that Ireti is a fine name.” I rolled my eyes.
“I am well, very well indeed, thanks for asking three weeks after we last spoke.” She laughed.
“I’m sorry dear, work has been hectic. You know you can be a drama queen sometimes.”
“I’ll take that as a compliment. Work is always hectic.”
“I’m in Nigeria now.”
“Oh! Good for you.”
“Haba! Don’t sound like that now.”
“Okay, how do you want me to sound?” she sighed.
“Never mind, would you like to come home and spend some time with me?”
“Uh, that would have been a good idea last week.”
“How do you mean?”
“I don’t believe this mom, today is Thursday…”
“And?”
“… and I’m writing my first paper on Monday. I told you, I even sent you the exam time-table on whatsapp, when will you ever be sensitive to (pause) you know what, right now, I need all the concentration I can get from studying in school.”
“Okay, I really hope you’ll forgive me some day.”
“I’m sorry for raising my voice.”
“It’s okay. Have you heard from your dad?”
“Nope.”
“I’ll tell him to call you.”
“It’s not necessary, since he doesn’t think he should call, don’t bother him.” She laughed.
“Ireti! Sorry Ola! You ehn, has Ayo called?”
“These days, I’m beginning to feel that Ayo has been infected by the same virus that infected you and dad.”
“You know Ayo handles your dad’s business in Nigeria, that’s why he’s so busy.”
“I see, but can I ask you a quick question, what exactly does dad do because I honestly do not have an idea.”
“He’s originally an engineer, construction and consulting but now, he’s going into politics so he has the opportunity to win bigger contracts.”
“Wow! Nice portfolio.” I exclaimed sarcastically.
“Your dad is planning to retire soon though.”
“Wow! Great news, I’m so happy for him.” I was being sarcastic again, mom just chuckled.
“You know, our lives and family would be really boring without all this your drama. Anyways, I trust you’re fully prepared for Monday.”
“Sure, my education has been my family and so I cannot disappoint myself.”
“Okay, goodluck, I’ll come around on Sunday.”
“Okay, bye.” I hung up. I really don’t understand what spirit takes over me whenever I talk to my mom and she’s always so calm and collected, she never raised her voice. Maybe that was what always got me angry. Images began to float before my face, immediately, I knew an asthma attack was on the way but where on earth did I keep my inhaler; I got to feet and started searching for it before the pain began. For some reason, I don’t understand, I had not been taking my drugs regularly and I know the infection must be really bad now. Luckily, I found it in my cupboard just as I started to gasp for air. I crashed to the ground and closed my eyes and waited for three painful seconds as I continuously pumped the inhaler content into my mouth. Finally, it passed and I was safe again. I really need to take my medication regularly now because of the approaching examination. I needed to breathe in fresh air; I got to my feet slowly, walked to the balcony (still the corridor) and rested my head on the railings. It was already four PM and Richard would probably call about eight or nine, which was enough time for me to recover.

TBC

3 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by abefe99: 4:32pm On Apr 13, 2017
nice one
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by MhizDherbee(f): 7:25pm On Apr 13, 2017
prettyboi1989:

alryt, can we talk beta on bbm or whatsapp? which wud u prefer?
M nt on any of dis platforms
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 13, 2017
MhizDherbee:
M nt on any of dis platforms
ahh, so how best can i reach u
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by MhizDherbee(f): 2:44am On Apr 14, 2017
prettyboi1989:
ahh, so how best can i reach u
Hitz Mhizdherbee{add up on fb}
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 1:07pm On Apr 18, 2017
**** IRETI ****

I decided to give myself a treat, shopping has always been my escape route from stress anytime, any day. I went back into my room and got dressed before I went to Dunsin’s room. Trust Dunsin, the shopping freak, to never let an opportunity pass her by, I was so sure she would go with me. I met her cooking when I got there and waited till she was done. We bought clothes and accessories and more make-up for Dunsin. Money has never been my problem because my parents send me fifteen thousand naira each, every month, aunt Yetunde and Ayo always give me cash whenever they come around, most of which I spent on impromptu shopping like this. My foodstuff is regular and calculated; on the first day of every month, aunt Mercy or Priscilla brought raw food and money to buy other provisions. So you see, the cash my parents send to me is a little too much for a 17 year old 100 level student.
We left the store some minutes past six PM. My phone rang just as we got to the hostel gate. Richard.
“Hi” I said
“Hi, are you busy?”
“Uh, not really, why?”
“I want to talk you .”
“Now?”
“Yes.”
“Ok, I need to pack my bag first.”
“Actually, I need you to bring real food.”
“Ah! I’ve not cooked o.”
“Ask Dunsin, she should have, shouldn’t she?” I looked sideways at Dunsin.
“I’ll ask her.”
“Ok, please, take your time, there’s no rush.”
“Okay.”
“Thanks.” He hung up. Dunsin had already guessed who I had been talking and she started singing.
“… iyawo mi Aduke, ma toju e ayanfe mi…” I smiled and walked past her. I really don’t know why she thought Richard and I were dating, much as I know, she probably has a crush on him.
“Richard wants to eat o.”
“So, am I his girlfriend?”
“You know I can’t cook and besides, I have not cooked anything today.”
“Ok o. Ask your oyinbo boyfriend if he can eat palm-oil concoction o.” I laughed at her referral to Richard as oyinbo.
“Ok mummy, my oyinbo boyfriend will eat it.”
“Yeye girl, thanks for the clothes and most especially the lipstick. I’m ready when you are.” I smiled as I climbed the stairs and walked down the corridor to my room. Do I like Richard? I asked myself. Ofcourse I like him, who wouldn’t with his; tall lean features, not-too-dark complexion, very handsome face free of pimples and the likes, quiet, gentle, humble and caring nature, sense of humour, sweet laughter and most important of all (to me though), his intelligence. But honestly, I like Richard just as a friend and not in any special way, I mean, Richard is just fun to be with, anyone who got close to him would have no choice but to fall in love with him. Many times, people had teased us about our closeness in class and as usual, Richard always laughed it off but now, it was really getting to me. I dropped the shopping bag in a corner of the room, took my clothes and went to take a shower. I changed into one of my jogger pants and a tank top when I was done, I shoved my books into my blue back pack, wore a pair of black sandals and left the room, making sure I had my cardigan and halo. I met Dunsin on the staircase, coming to my room and we both went to Richard’s hostel. He was surprised to see us ready for the night’s reading. We went to our department and sat on a concrete bench in the quadrangle; Dunsin and I were busy with our phones while Richard was eating.
By seven PM, Richard was done.
“Ola” he called.
“Yeah… what’s up” I answered, not looking up from my phone.
“I’m scared.”
“Okay, about what?”
“Put the phone away, will you? Please.”
“Okay, then this thing must be serious.” I put the phone in my pants pocket.
“You heard what I said, didn’t you?” he asked in a low voice.
“I did but I don’t understand why you are scared.”
“I fear that I won’t make my papers, I feel like I’m being over confident, like I what I think a know is a mirage, a shadow or maybe some lecturers have marked my matric number and have made up their minds to fail me because I’ve been passing all this while, I don’t know, I just feel like I’m not fully prepared for this examination, I…” I smiled, I just could not imagine Richard I mean, a whole Richard, saying what I just heard, just then, Dunsin burst into laughter and clapped her hands thrice before she stood to face Richard.
“Oro omo Richard yi ti su mi…” she said in Yoruba meaning I am tired of this Richard. “… I mean, how can you be saying this kind of rubbish? Ok, if you’re talking like this, what should Ola say or even me gan (pause) okay, oti ye mi (I now understand) na over reading dey worry you, you don read sote you can’t wait for the exam to come and go abi which kain yeye talk be dis at this time of the day?...” she would have continued but I had to stop her.
“Hey, it’s Ok Dunsin, I’m sure that’s not what Richard meant and maybe his problem is actually over-reading.” Richard had been smiling all along and I wondered why.
“I was only joking my dear Dunsin, can’t you take a simple joke, something to ease the exam tension, c’mon, you need to chill girl.”
“Better.” Dunsin replied firmly.

I'm so sorry about the delay, I was out of data. Thanks a lot kiss

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 5:18pm On Apr 18, 2017
****IRETI****

We found a class to read and settled down, I was really hungry so I went to eat in one of the canteens on campus. As I walked back to the class, I was overcome by fear all of a sudden, a fear so sudden I didn’t know what I was afraid of, I felt that someone or something was watching me, I had a feeling something terrible was about to happen but to whom, when, how and why was what I could not figure out. I looked around me and realised that it was already dark, students were scattered around me with their bags, cardigans, socks, halos and what not. I met Dunsin sleeping and Richard busy with his phone, that was the usual practice, sleep or play till ten PM, read alone from ten till two AM and then we test ourselves till four or if something was not clear to someone, there would be a short tutorial. Sometimes, our course mates organise overnight tutorials. I laid my head on the desk and fell into a troubled sleep. Richard woke me around ten-thirty but I felt as though I had just closed my eyes when in actual fact, I had slept for, roughly, two hours. Reading that night turned out to be a waste of time because I found it really difficult to concentrate and I had no idea why so I decided to sleep till it was time to go back to the hostel after wasting my time for about four three hours.
Dunsin woke me some minutes past five AM; a group of our classmates had hijacked Richard for a tutorial. I yawned loudly and stretched lazily before I followed her out of the class. At the entrance, a girl was giving out flyers for a program organized by one of the campus fellowships, most likely her church. She handed me one and I declined while Dunsin accepted hers. On our way, Dunsin read out the content, it was an invitation to a special Sunday service, tagged ON EAGLE’S WINGS, where prayers for a successful examination will be said. Personally, I thought it was stupid and funny because they were, indirectly that is, encouraging people not to read by feeding them with baseless assumptions that ‘God is on the throne’. I laughed out loud and hard when she was done reading.
“Share the joke, what is so funny?” she asked.
“What you just read of course, it is hilarious, I must say, and I’m being very serious, these people are a joke…”
“Shut up jare. You shouldn’t talk like that; never say such about a church, ever! Aren’t you a Christian?”
“My dear, being a Christian does not mean I am stupid or that I should be fooled by programmes like this, all they want is more money in their offering bags plus, they are students, they need money to eat during the exam period, many of them cannot afford a meal anymore, take for example the girl that gave you that flyer, she looked so haggard and…”
“Eish! Ola, o to e, gbenu soun, o de beru Olorun for once (Ola, it is okay, keep quiet, fear God for once). May God forgive you and deliver you. Don’t you know we all need prayers to back up our reading?” I smiled.
“Yes. We need prayers but do I have to go for a special exam prayer for that?” I asked, not wanting to argue with Dunsin.
“Na you sabi, as for me, I’m attending sha.”
“Okay, goodluck with that.” I said finally. By now we were at the hostel gate and we parted ways. I let myself into the room and found Tomisin reading again, the girl just would not give in easily. I decided against my weaker judgement to have my bath before the hostel was awake with girls hurrying off to the library or to tutorials then I’d go back to sleep. I threw my bag on my bed, took off my clothes and tied my towel, picked my bucket and toilet bag and out to the bathroom. I rushed my bath and went back to my room, I changed into my favourite pink shorts and a white tank top, climbed my bed, retrieved my phone from the side pocket of my back pack and started checking my social media accounts.
“What are we eating this morning?” Tomisin asked after a while. I shrugged my shoulders indifferently, I was in no mood to talk, I just wanted to sleep.
“The soup I cooked yesterday made me purge o.” she continued, I found it hard to ignore her.
“What type of soup?”
“Na egusi o, but instead of ugwu, I used that Yoruba vegetable.” I laughed at Tomisin’s confession.
“You know how that vegie makes you purge. Let’s cook something else then.”
“Like what, me I don’t have any money o.”
“I’ll pay.”
“Why did you tell your aunt to stop bring soup sef?”
“She’s not my aunt, she’s hired help.” I never referred to aunt Mercy and Priscilla has maids or house helps because they had been with us for quite a long time and were treated like family but I still found it awkward to refer to them as an aunt, I just thought it was inappropriate.
"Whatever, if she was still bringing the soup, we'd save more money."
"I can call her this Sunday."
"Do what you like, I sha have to eat this morning." I flung my ATM card at her and laid on my side, hoping for sweet sleep but then, Richard's smiling face popped up in my subconcious, I smiled, it was a welcome distraction even though I had no idea where it had come from. I was still thinking of him when I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by MhizDherbee(f): 8:44am On Apr 19, 2017
hmmmmn
Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 11:42am On Apr 19, 2017
****IRETI****

***********************************************************************************************************

I sat alone in the lecture theatre, reading. I didn’t notice when the cute guy in blue jeans, black shirt, sneakers and fez cap walked in. he sat right next to me. I looked up briefly, I felt like I knew him from way back, I was carried away by his handsome face, I stared at him and smiled shyly, he had the cutest smile I have ever seen, even better than Richard’s, I wondered what his voice would sound like. We didn’t say a word to eachother, we just stared and smiled but I felt we were having the best conversation ever, the chemistry between us was something else, I tried to recall where, when and how I met this handsome young man and then I became afraid, I feared he would hurt me somehow, I looked deep into his eyes and I as much as I trusted him, I was still afraid that something terrible would happen. Some minutes later, I felt a light tap on my shoulder, I wanted to look at the intruder but this cutie had me spell bound so I shrugged off the intruder’s hand and Mr cutes’ smile widened to a grin. I was happy, I felt like I had just won a million dollars just by making this cutie smile so wide. The intruder touched me, gently, again and the fear in me quadrupled, I felt Mr cute would do something drastic if I looked at this persistent intruder. Mr cute pulled me to himself, but my curiosity got the better of me and I turned to look at the intruder. He was dark-skinned, not too tall and had a horrible dress sense, how could he have worn white from head to toe, from the fez cap to the round-necked t-shirt, pants, sneakers and even the wrist-watch. I hissed immediately, Mr cute smiled and intruder looked down shyly. There was something calm about him but his presence made me uncomfortable and I was greatly irritated.
“What do you want?” I barked.
“I love you.” Was the simple reply I got, I was pissed, what effrontery, how dare he disrespect me in this manner. I clapped my hands thrice.
“Are you out of your mind? In fact, you are crazy. How can you love me when I don’t know you and I’m very sure you don’t know me too.”
“I- I- I know you a- and I- I want you to be a pa- pa- part of my family.” my whole being shook with anger, I wanted to slap some sense into this idiot’s head. Mr cute whispered that it was time to leave, I started packing my books but he was impatient, he stood and half dragged me up with him. At that instant, the intruder started crying.
“Please, don’t go with him.” I was confused, what kind of mumu person is this? I asked myself, I was not expecting him to cry, Mr cute hissed and ordered me out of the class by pointing to the exit, when I did not move, because I was held by a force greater than gravity, he pulled me by my hair, I screamed and he slapped me twice, I thought I’d pass out but somehow, and with a strength greater than mine, I was still standing. The intruder begged me with his eyes and all of a sudden, there was blood coming from his head, palms, feet and his side. He begged me to call for his help but I couldn’t speak. Just then, Mr cute laughed wickedly and said, in a voice I could never reconcile with his face.
“She’s mine!” he laughed again and dragged me out of the class with my hair, the pain was awful but I did not struggle and the blood continued, the intruder was soaked in his whole blood, strangely, the blood did not drop to the ground but every single white thing he wore had turned blood red. He was saying something I could not hear, I tried to read his lips but the pain I was feeling would not let me concentrate. I closed my eyes and resigned to fate.

I woke with a start. I was sweating profusely. I looked round the dark room trying to figure out where I was and realised I was in my room, I wondered why Tomisin had not left a lamp on. I searched for and found my phone under the pillow. It was just four-thirty AM. I looked round the room again, this time with my phone’s flashlight and hissed. It was just a dream, I smacked myself mentally, I should have known, I’m not that stupid to allow some idiot, no matter how handsome he is, to lay a finger on me and go scot free, NEVER! Iretiola Cole is not that type of girl. But it felt so real and my head was aching seriously.
I jumped out of bed and noticed Tomisin’s bed was empty. It was a Monday morning, the day I was writing my very first paper in the university, I needed a clear head. I was on my way to the bathroom when my phone rang. Richard.
“Hi morning.” He sounded excited.
“Morning.” I replied simply.
“Anxious?”
“Nope, you?”
“Hell no!”
“It’s obvious, you sound super excited.”
“Excited is an understatement, I want this over and done with, don’t you want that too?”
“Yeah, maybe, Dunsin will kill us if she hears this conversation.”
“Tell me what I don’t know, I’m optimistic of a good performance from her.”
“Yeah, me too.”
“I just called to know if you’re awake and since you are, I’ll just leave you to get ready, we’ll talk later.”
“Okay, bye.”
"Tired of me already?" i laughed
"I guess i'll just call Dunsin instead, shouldn't I?"
"Oh yes, you should, goodluck with your CHM."
"Thanks, bye"
I had my bath quickly and half ran back to my room. Tomisin was getting dressed while Daisy from all indications wanted to cook. I left for the exam hall in company of Dunsin and Tomisin, we went with only our ID cards, worn around our necks, our course registration forms and our writing materials. Tomisin had advised against carrying bags or mobile phones or even wearing clothes with pockets just so we would not take any incriminating things to the hall. The paper was good, being a three-hour paper, I was done a liitle over an hour after I started but according to Tomisin's advice, I sat for another one hour, cross-checking my script, I was confident of what I had written. After submitting, I tried to linger around to wait for Dunsin but the security men on duty did not allow so I walked back to the hostel alone.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 11:26am On Apr 20, 2017
****IRETI****

The hostel was really quiet when I got there; most girls were not back from their exam halls. I let myself into my room and met Daisy reading. I mumbled a greeting and went straight to my bookshelf just behind the door and pulled out my physics practical notebook and started going through it, still standing.
“How was your paper?” I heard after a while. I looked round the room to be sure of the speaker.
“Were you referring to me?” I asked just to be sure that Daisy was actually talking to me. She smiled before answering.
“Obviously, there’s just two of us here.” Why was she trying to be nice? I asked myself. I was really surprised that she asked though.
“I see.” Was all my surprise permitted me to say.
“So, how was it?” she asked again, still smiling.
“It was OK, thank you.”
“Good, when is your second paper?”
“Tomorrow afternoon. When is your first?”
“Wednesday.”
“May I ask your current CGP?”
“Sure, it falls within the range of second class upper.” Now, that was a big blow. I stared, wide-eyed, at her, I surely did not see that coming. Daisy Okoro was a party girl, she was very popular in the hostel. She was a big girl on campus, she went out with big boys, men rather, I, personally, did not think much of her. I could never reconcile her with a two-one. Even if she paid in cash or kind, it wouldn’t give her such GP, definitely the girl had brains and wasn’t partying foolishly.
“What?” she asked with a slight frown.
“Uh- em- n- no- nothing.” I stuttered, trying to compose myself.
“Oh, you didn’t expect my CGP to be that good, it’s OK.”
“No, not that, I, I’m just a little surprised.”
“No wahala, partying does not mean I don’t study, even though I’ve not been studying enough.” She stretched lazily on her bed.
“Please, you have a two-one and you have not been studying, come on, that’s a brilliant result for a person of your character.” She laughed.
“Correction, I said I’ve not been studying enough.” She replied, emphasising enough.
“El oh el, whatever.” I said. I had never spoken to Daisy like this before, we were either arguing or she was ranting. I had told her uncountable times that she had to work on her bad temper and trust, I had always been sorry because she always shouted me down. I could be bitchy when I chose to, but trust me when I say I am no match for Daisy. I climbed my bed and felt hungry all of a sudden. I racked my brain and mentally settled for cornflakes, I felt too lazy to cook. Some minutes after eating, Tomisin walked in, smiling.
“Good afternoon roomies.” She greeted.
“Hello, welcome.” I said
“It’s not even noon yet, let alone afternoon, English sha.” Daisy answered.
“My bad, thanks for the correction o madam dictionary oh sorry, senior Daisy.”
“You’re welcome. How was your exam? This one that you’re smiling, trust you slayed it.”
“Shoo! Since when do you care about my progress? Anyways, since you asked, it was fantastic, very sweet. Thanks for asking.”
“Yeah, I’ve always known you to be smart, truth is I don’t care.” Daisy replied with an evil smile. Tomisin hissed and turned to face me.
“Better pikin, how was your exam jare.” She asked as she went to her cupboard to check for food.
“Very good, thanks.”
“Ola! Why na? You did not cook.”
“I just came in not too long ago.”
“Ehehn, but you’ve taken cornflakes abi is that not your cup? No wahala na, me sef go just arrange something for myself but if you think I would cook today, you dey joke.”
Okay, before I go on, let me tell you a summarized version of Tomisin and Daisy’s history. First, they had both lived together in Tomisin’s first year because Daisy could not get accommodation and had had to squat with a friend, Tomisin’s bunkmate. According to Tomisin, she was the only sane one in the room while Daisy and her friends had been club girls, they drank, disobeyed hostel rules and worst of all, they picked up fights with her for no just cause. Trust Tomisin to talk back, but there were five of them and one of her. Now, their fight had started on a fateful day in the second semester when Daisy had worn Tomisin’s blouse and the new sandal she just bought to a club. It would have been good if Daisy had returned it immediately but instead she had travelled to Ibadan with some of her girls for a party and had taken the things with her. Tomisin, somehow, bottled up the anger and uncapped it when she returned four days later. It had been a huge fight that had them tearing each other’s clothes. Apparently, Daisy had called the clothes cheap and had thrown them at Tomisin. This act greatly infuriated her and she landed Daisy a dirty slap. Ofcourse, nobody likes to be slapped especially by a girl two years your junior in school and that was how the fight began, it ended when some gbeborun girls (according to Tomisin) had gone to call the porters. Surprisingly, they were not reported to the DSA, as they had threatened, but had only been warned, Tomisin added that she was sure Daisy had gone to bribe them. A semester later, the two fighters were now paired in the same room. Tomisin told me she did not want trouble and did her best to avoid Daisy to the barest minimum. Now, back to present day;
Tomisin made herself a bowl of cornflakes and went straight to bed. I know Tomisin and I knew sure she meant every word when she had said she wasn’t cooking today. I scanned our foodstuff and decided on beans. I revised my physics practical note as I cooked, the lecturer had said the exam would be conducted in three batches with one hour allotted to each batch since the school did not have enough facilities to take us all at once. When I was done cooking, I went to Dunsin’s room to sleep, the plan for Tomisin to taste the food and if there was anything wrong with it, I would not be on ground for her to tease me.

The semester had been wonderful, new friends and experiences, two wonderful roommates and ofcourse my gang members; Richard and Dunsin.
“This holiday is too short.” I whined as Ayo drove Mayokun and I home on a beautiful Saturday morning (a day after Mayojun’s last paper).
“Me I like it like that o.” Mayokun answered.
“I know you are a bookaholic now, why won’t you like it.”
“Dele is coming tomorrow.”
“Are you dating that boy?” Ayo asked.
“Chineke! No o, how would you think that, me and Dele dating ke, God forbid when there are fine fine boys in school. Ayo please don’t say that again o.” Ayo and I laughed.
“But you sha like him.” Ayo replied.
“Ehn na, am I supposed to hate him? He’s my bestie as in from way back in primary four.”
“The love is strong then.” Ayo teased.

TBC

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 12:02pm On Apr 21, 2017
****IRETI****

The rest of the journey was filled with laughter as Mayokun and I told stories of our experience at school, Ayo also told us some stories too. We drove straight to aunt Yetunde’s house, where I would spend the holiday. Amaka had promised to be in Lagos the next day and I was anxiously awaiting her arrival, twenty weeks apart was a lot of time, the longest we’ve ever been away from ourselves. Dupe was home when we got there, her school was also on break and we all went to see a movie around six PM. We met aunt Yetunde at home on our return and trust when I say that I felt like I had a family for the first time in my life.

After dragging me out of the intruder’s sight, Mr cute let me go, my head hit the ground hard and closed my eyes from the excruciating pain, I thought my life would end right there and then, lightning bolts flashed through my head and I saw the colours; red, blue and green. I opened my eyes, after a while, and found that we were in a lavishly furnished living room, , my eye caught the settee, I rushed to the couch and sank into its soft fur and I felt super comfortable. The feeling was amazing, excitement rushed through me and I closed my eyes to savour the feeling. How we got here, I did not know but I wanted to stay here forever. I opened my eyes realising that I did not even know Mr cutes’ real name, he smiled when I did so, his face looked handsome again and I was spellbound.
“I don’t know your name.” I said.
“You don’t need to, keep calling me Mr cute.” I was shocked, this guy could read minds.
“When did I call you Mr cute?” I asked, surprise clearly written all over my face.
“That’s what you’ve saying in your mind.”
“Hmmm. So you read minds.”
“Yes. I read the minds of those people that belong to me, like you, you’ll meet them physically very soon, just be patient.”
“Okay. But why was your voice so harsh the other time?”
“It had to be because I needed to save you from that intruder.”
“Okay but why did you drag me like that.”
“You ask too many questions. Go back to real life.” He said finally and I closed my eyes only to wake up in my room. I looked round, the beautiful couch was gone and I was lying on my bed in aunt Yetunde’s house. What kind of stupid dream is this? After three weeks, the useless dream continued from where it had stopped. I hissed and got out of bed. Amaka would arrive Lagos today but she would stay with her aunt for two days and we had the rest of the holiday to ourselves. I checked the time on my phone, eleven AM. ‘I slept in’ I whispered. I had my bath quickly and changed into a short pink gown. I left the room and went to the kitchen where I met my cousins and Dele gisting.
“Look who’s awake.” Mayokun announced.
“Hi everyone.” I said as I opened the refrigerator, scouting for what to munch on.
“Jonah.” Dele said simply.
“Excuse me young man, you better don’t annoy me.” Mayokun replied.
“It’s OK Mayokun, let him talk…” I said when I had found a pack of digestives. I poured myself a glass of juice (I don’t know if they always have these things or they deliberately stocked the house because of my sweet teeth) I joined them at the kitchen table, dropped my food and stared straight into Dele’s eyes, he leaned back in his chair, folded his arms across his chest and smiled.
“So Dele, I know you don’t like me and I don’t care, it would be in your best interest to stay on your lane.” I bit into my biscuit and leaned back in my chair too.
“You think you’re saucy abi, well bring it on, I dey ground, you go meet me for house.” Dupe whistled.
“Mayokun, won’t you say anything, see the two of them spilling bad blood.” Dupe said and she and Mayokun burst into laughter.
“Shey na over reading they worry una two abi you’re just anxious of your result or maybe Ireti is looking for whom to vent her anger on because of the short holiday.”
“Well, tell your cousin to mind her tongue.” I laughed now. So this guy was serious when I had been joking all along. True, I know he doesn’t like me, not that I care, but everything I had said was a joke, just to see his reaction, I really don’t have the time and strength to keep malice with anybody when I have other important issues in my life.
“Yo! Nigger, I’m just kidding, but honestly, you should work on your temperament, geez, you should have seen your face when I spoke.”
“Whatever.” Dele said simply and left the kitchen.
“Chai! You people ehn, you won’t kill me with laugh.” Mayokun said.
“Nah, leave him, he’ll come round, I know his type.” I said finally. The rest of that Monday came and went slowly without a call from any of my parents. I wasn’t surprised, that was the usual practice. Wednesday morning came quickly, Amaka was driven to aunt Yetundes’ by her aunt who gave a ‘little something for the holiday’ (that’s what she said). We talked for about three hours before we decided to take a stroll around the neighbourhood.

“Checkmate!” I screamed as I anticipated the possibility of winning Dele in the game of chess for the fourth time in row.
“Not so fast.” He said as he moved his bishop diagonally to take my queen.
“What! ...” I yelled “Is that legal?”
“Yes my dear, google it.”
“Okay o.” we continued the game for another half hour and just as I feared, Dele did not let me win this time. He had been a good teacher so far, by allowing me win three games. My phone rang and I frowned when I saw the caller ID.
“Hello.”
“Ireti, omo mi, how are you?” my mum asked.
“Very well, thanks for asking.”
“Ayo says you’re on holiday.” I laughed, so she did not know I was done with my exam, this woman just wants me to hate her more, I thought to myself, even though she had, I expected that she knew I was throught with my first semester.
“Are you there?”
“Yes, I'm just shocked. No, tongue-tied, I don’t even know what to say to you, today is Saturday and that means I’ve been in Lagos for a week now.”
“Ehehn, congratulations my dear, so when are you resuming your second semester?”
“Next Monday.”
“But you could have called to tell me now, so I can send some money to you.2
“True but I never know where you are. Remember that I have only your personal number.” She laughed and said something that sounded like ‘Ireti yi sha.’
“Olamide is also coming to Lagos tomorrow, would you like to come home.”
“Sure, only if you would promise to be around for the whole week.”
“I promise ma, I’m even crossing my heart.” I smiled.
“Okay, see you tomorrow then.”
“Bye dear, mummy loves you.”
“Daughter is not sure if she loves mummy back.” She laughed and hung up. Let me clear the air, I love my mum, I really do but the only strain in our relationship is that she has consistently failed to recognise the fact that I am a sensitive child and being the only girl-child, I guess I need more attention from her. All she does is work and make money, I wonder if she even has any friends. I prefer aunt Yetunde, because unlike my mum, she was religious about spending time with her daughters maybe because she’s a single mum but to me it doesn’t matter, all mothers should always have time for their children.

TBC

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear readers, thank you for your patience. Work has been somehow but I've worked out a routine.
I will drop two updates everyday except on Saturdays and Sunday.
Thanks a lot, Ayomide loves you all kiss

4 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 12:38pm On Apr 24, 2017
****IRETI****

“Are you going to sulk all day because you lost a game and won three, pathetic, if you ask me.” Amaka said
“What if I want to, am I sulking with your energy?”
“Sorry o.”
“This is crazy.” Dele said after a while and we all looked at him.
“What is?” Amaka asked.
“This right here, I’m the only male here, there’s four of you and just one of me”
“You be woman wrapper na, shey I no tell you before. It all started when my sister became your best friend.” Dupe said nonchalantly and we all laughed.
“Ehehn, that reminds me, we have a get-together at John’s crib.” Mayokun said to Dele who in turn nodded.
“Today is boring o.” Amaka announced.
“What do you suggest?” Mayokun replied
“Shopping.” Trust Amaka to always opt for shopping, she has actually infected me with the virus too.
“Okay but Ireti can call her brother now.” Dele chipped in.
“I could but let’s hope he’s not busy. Oh! Lest I forget, I’m going home tomorrow because my mum and Olamide are around.”
“And where does that leave me?” Amaka asked.
“We’re going together.” I replied. I called Ayo later and he promised to take us out later that evening. So far, my asthma has been of good behaviour, I’ve not had any attack this that day, almost a month ago, but then there is the question of this dream, was it a sign about something? ‘This is ridiculous’ I thought, it was just a silly dream, I was thinking too much and nothing more. I brought out my phone and occupied myself with it till Ayo came. The rest of the day was fun, Dele and my cousins said they’d visit Amaka and I before Dele went back to school. My dad called later that night after I had received an alert of fifteen thousand naira from him and when I asked, he said it was for the successful completion of my first semester in the university, mum also sent me ten thousand. I was tired when I got home and went straight to bed.
The next day, Sunday, my driver came to pick Amaka and I around eight AM while aunt Yetunde and her family got ready for church.
“Tell your mother to go to church o.” she’d said as we climbed into the KIA sportage 2012 SUV my dad had bought to be used by Olamide and I when needed. The drive was smooth, traffic free and we got home just as aunt Mercy and Priscilla came home from second mass, they are the only regular church goers.
“Good afternoon ma.” Amaka greeted my mum when we entered the sitting room
“My dear, how are you, how is Calabar.”
“Very fine ma, not as boring as I thought it would be.”
“Very good, how are your parents?”
“They are well, they send their regards.”
“How nice of them, you girls should settle down and join me for brunch.”
“Yes mummy.” I said for the first time since we got here. Brunch was rice and chicken stew. Our house was big but can’t be compared to Igwes’ residence. Our house had a parlour with a toilet for receiving guest, a sitting room, kitchen, dining room and three bedrooms downstairs with the remaining four bedrooms, a small family/ TV room and a kitchenette upstairs. My parents, siblings and I each had a room to ourselves while Aunt Mercy and Priscilla shared one of the rooms downstairs and other guests slept in the remaining two. There was also a small two bedroom flat that housed all the male staff. Now the Igwe’s also had seven bedrooms, visitor’s room, two kitchens but their boys quarters had three bedrooms and they even had a small swimming pool, a rooftop garden (artificial grass though), a mini theatre and arcade (we called it the movie room). I just love their house.
After brunch, Amaka and I took a walk around the estate, I did not have any friends there because most of my classmates from school either lived on the island or did not live in Lagos at all. After walking for thirty minutes, we went back home. My phone rang, Richard. I was delighted to see his call, we’d spoken only once since the holiday began.
“Hey you” he said.
“Hey, how are you doing.”
“Bad, this place is dead.”
“Where”
“Home. I mean Enugu.”
“Oh! Sorry ehn, we have just one more week.”
“Lord knows I won’t stay a day longer.”
“But your family is there, aren’t they.”
“ ‘Cause they are, I don’t know nobody here, I really want to live this country.”
“No matter where you go, you’ll always be Nigerian.”
“Yeah yeah, and I don’t have to stay here, do I?”
“Your choice. Called your yesterday.”
“Yeah, I was asleep.” I laughed. I never knew Richard to be an afternoon sleeper.
“And since when do you sleep in the afternoon?” I asked still laughing.
“Since I got here.”
“Okay, what of your brother?”
“He’s not coming home, you know he’s a senior now, so he needs maximum concentration.”
“Okay, good.” I heard a female voice, laced with a slight Igbo accent, call Richard.
“Dammit. I’ve got to go know, mum needs me.”
“Okay. Later.”
“Yeah, later. Don’t miss me too much. Bye.” I laughed and hung up. Amaka looked up from her phone.
“Who was that?”
“Richard.”
“That fine boy.”
“Yeah”
“You like him.” I really don’t know if it was a question.
“Yes, he’s my friend.”
“I mean you like-like him extra. Don’t lie to me.”
“No!”Just like dad, he was diagnosed of short sightedness at a really young age of five. Olamide, simply put, is a go-getter, Ayo and I had had a little discussion about his performance at school and I was impressed, my ten year old brother was the best all-round student for his set, five times in a row and he had always been the best in maths and science since he started primary school. Apart from school work, the boy has a wide knowledge of gadgets, he had taught me things I could do with my phone, my own phone o. Funny enough, he was just as playful as he was smart, but in all, I’m really glad that he’s my brother.

The holiday came and went just as quickly as it had come, though short, I had so much fun with my siblings, cousins, Amaka and Dele. Aunt Yetunde drove Mayokun and I back to school on a beautiful Monday, my roomies had not resumed and I was too lazy to clean the room alone so I went to stay with Mayokun. We went shopping for extra provision the next day and aunt Mercy brought two pots of stews, one for each, later in the day. Richard and Dunsin resumed on Wednesday while Tomisin resumed on Thursday. She was angry that I had not cleaned the room but as usual, I apologised and we were friends again. Daisy resumed a week later.

TBC

“I think you should look at how flushed your cheeks her in the mirror.” I giggled.
“Maybe I like him, maybe I don’t, I’ll have to figure it out.”
“Whatever, Hauwa is coming to Nigeria this Christmas.”
“Wow! That’s great news, I miss her so much.”
“Yeah you do.” The chit chat continued for another one hour before we went to see a movie. Mum had been in her room since brunch, definitely she was working. After the movie, I checked the time on my phone and it read 15:25 and Olamide had not arrived. I asked aunt Mercy and she said she had called the driver and they were just a few minutes away from Lagos. The rest of the day dragged on and it was really boring. Olamide arrived with a classmate, tired so we did not have the time to talk. The last time we were together, I had learnt a lot about him, he is a really smart boy for his age, at ten, he knew a lot, not because he was in one of the best boarding schools in Ijebu-ode but because he is a naturally inquisitive child who would stop at nothing to get answers to his questions.

2 Likes

Re: IRETI (A Short Story Of Hope) by Ayoomodaddy(f): 4:00pm On Apr 24, 2017
****IRETI****

“Are you going to sulk all day because you lost a game and won three, pathetic, if you ask me.” Amaka said
“What if I want to, am I sulking with your energy?”
“Sorry o.”
“This is crazy.” Dele said after a while and we all looked at him.
“What is?” Amaka asked.
“This right here, I’m the only male here, there’s four of you and just one of me”
“You be woman wrapper na, shey I no tell you before. It all started when my sister became your best friend.” Dupe said nonchalantly and we all laughed.
“Ehehn, that reminds me, we have a get-together at John’s crib.” Mayokun said to Dele who in turn nodded.
“Today is boring o.” Amaka announced.
“What do you suggest?” Mayokun replied
“Shopping.” Trust Amaka to always opt for shopping, she has actually infected me with the virus too.
“Okay but Ireti can call her brother now.” Dele chipped in.
“I could but let’s hope he’s not busy. Oh! Lest I forget, I’m going home tomorrow because my mum and Olamide are around.”
“And where does that leave me?” Amaka asked.
“We’re going together.” I replied. I called Ayo later and he promised to take us out later that evening. So far, my asthma has been of good behaviour, I’ve not had any attack this that day, almost a month ago, but then there is the question of this dream, was it a sign about something? ‘This is ridiculous’ I thought, it was just a silly dream, I was thinking too much and nothing more. I brought out my phone and occupied myself with it till Ayo came. The rest of the day was fun, Dele and my cousins said they’d visit Amaka and I before Dele went back to school. My dad called later that night after I had received an alert of fifteen thousand naira from him and when I asked, he said it was for the successful completion of my first semester in the university, mum also sent me ten thousand. I was tired when I got home and went straight to bed.
The next day, Sunday, my driver came to pick Amaka and I around eight AM while aunt Yetunde and her family got ready for church.
“Tell your mother to go to church o.” she’d said as we climbed into the KIA sportage 2012 SUV my dad had bought to be used by Olamide and I when needed. The drive was smooth, traffic free and we got home just as aunt Mercy and Priscilla came home from second mass, they are the only regular church goers.
“Good afternoon ma.” Amaka greeted my mum when we entered the sitting room
“My dear, how are you, how is Calabar.”
“Very fine ma, not as boring as I thought it would be.”
“Very good, how are your parents?”
“They are well, they send their regards.”
“How nice of them, you girls should settle down and join me for brunch.”
“Yes mummy.” I said for the first time since we got here. Brunch was rice and chicken stew. Our house was big but can’t be compared to Igwes’ residence. Our house had a parlour with a toilet for receiving guest, a sitting room, kitchen, dining room and three bedrooms downstairs with the remaining four bedrooms, a small family/ TV room and a kitchenette upstairs. My parents, siblings and I each had a room to ourselves while Aunt Mercy and Priscilla shared one of the rooms downstairs and other guests slept in the remaining two. There was also a small two bedroom flat that housed all the male staff. Now the Igwe’s also had seven bedrooms, visitor’s room, two kitchens but their boys quarters had three bedrooms and they even had a small swimming pool, a rooftop garden (artificial grass though), a mini theatre and arcade (we called it the movie room). I just love their house.
After brunch, Amaka and I took a walk around the estate, I did not have any friends there because most of my classmates from school either lived on the island or did not live in Lagos at all. After walking for thirty minutes, we went back home. My phone rang, Richard. I was delighted to see his call, we’d spoken only once since the holiday began.
“Hey you” he said.
“Hey, how are you doing.”
“Bad, this place is dead.”
“Where”
“Home. I mean Enugu.”
“Oh! Sorry ehn, we have just one more week.”
“Lord knows I won’t stay a day longer.”
“But your family is there, aren’t they.”
“ ‘Cause they are, I don’t know nobody here, I really want to live this country.”
“No matter where you go, you’ll always be Nigerian.”
“Yeah yeah, and I don’t have to stay here, do I?”
“Your choice. Called your yesterday.”
“Yeah, I was asleep.” I laughed. I never knew Richard to be an afternoon sleeper.
“And since when do you sleep in the afternoon?” I asked still laughing.
“Since I got here.”
“Okay, what of your brother?”
“He’s not coming home, you know he’s a senior now, so he needs maximum concentration.”
“Okay, good.” I heard a female voice, laced with a slight Igbo accent, call Richard.
“Dammit. I’ve got to go know, mum needs me.”
“Okay. Later.”
“Yeah, later. Don’t miss me too much. Bye.” I laughed and hung up. Amaka looked up from her phone.
“Who was that?”
“Richard.”
“That fine boy.”
“Yeah”
“You like him.” I really don’t know if it was a question.
“Yes, he’s my friend.”
“I mean you like-like him extra. Don’t lie to me.”
“No!”
“I think you should look at how flushed your cheeks her in the mirror.” I giggled.
“Maybe I like him, maybe I don’t, I’ll have to figure it out.”
“Whatever, Hauwa is coming to Nigeria this Christmas.”
“Wow! That’s great news, I miss her so much.”
“Yeah you do.” The chit chat continued for another one hour before we went to see a movie. Mum had been in her room since brunch, definitely she was working. After the movie, I checked the time on my phone and it read 15:25 and Olamide had not arrived. I asked aunt Mercy and she said she had called the driver and they were just a few minutes away from Lagos. The rest of the day dragged on and it was really boring. Olamide arrived with a classmate, tired so we did not have the time to talk. The last time we were together, I had learnt a lot about him, he is a really smart boy for his age, at ten, he knew a lot, not because he was in one of the best boarding schools in Ijebu-ode but because he is a naturally inquisitive child who would stop at nothing to get answers to his questions.Just like dad, he was diagnosed of short sightedness at a really young age of five. Olamide, simply put, is a go-getter, Ayo and I had had a little discussion about his performance at school and I was impressed, my ten year old brother was the best all-round student for his set, five times in a row and he had always been the best in maths and science since he started primary school. Apart from school work, the boy has a wide knowledge of gadgets, he had taught me things I could do with my phone, my own phone o. Funny enough, he was just as playful as he was smart, but in all, I’m really glad that he’s my brother.

The holiday came and went just as quickly as it had come, though short, I had so much fun with my siblings, cousins, Amaka and Dele. Aunt Yetunde drove Mayokun and I back to school on a beautiful Monday, my roomies had not resumed and I was too lazy to clean the room alone so I went to stay with Mayokun. We went shopping for extra provision the next day and aunt Mercy brought two pots of stews, one for each, later in the day. Richard and Dunsin resumed on Wednesday while Tomisin resumed on Thursday. She was angry that I had not cleaned the room but as usual, I apologised and we were friends again. Daisy resumed a week later.

TBC

Please pardon my mistake in this post.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Engaged To A Heartless CEO / Google Celebrates Nigerian Author - Flora Nwapa / Opinion: Why Poetry Is Important, And Could Be More Important Than Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 364
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.