Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,832 members, 7,837,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix (14940 Views)

Nigeria Defeats USA To Qualify For Final Of International Debate Competition. / The Letter A School Principal In Singapore Sent To Parents Just Before An Exam / LASU Students Defeat U.I, Futa And Others At Inter-university Debate In Funaab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by israelmao(m): 8:04pm On Apr 07, 2017
Why won't they be bold their father is bold in the midst of lily-livered governors?Why won't they be brilliant their father is brilliant in the midst of dullards?Ekiti and Ondo are homes of professors.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 07, 2017
Ekiti Parapo

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by FASH23(m): 10:03pm On Apr 07, 2017
Saintsquare:
lol u wish..... if u want to see Igbos in Ado ekiti,some are in textiles while some are selling egg roll in front of fajuyi park.
grin. Badt guy

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by kernel501: 10:26pm On Apr 07, 2017
ademoladeji:
Afonja 4 - Ipob 2

grin

I've noticed that most Western youths are not well informed. Anambra state was world second best 2015, won it 2016. Ebonyi represented Nigeria after Which Ekiti.

Who did you win us?
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by kernel501: 10:27pm On Apr 07, 2017
Saintsquare:
lol u wish..... if u want to see Igbos in Ado ekiti,some are in textiles while some are selling egg roll in front of fajuyi park.

I've noticed that most Western youths are not well informed. Anambra state was world second best 2015, won it 2016. Ebonyi represented Nigeria after Which Ekiti.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Saintsquare(m): 10:34pm On Apr 07, 2017
FASH23:
grin. Badt guy
lol Na true o
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 07, 2017
Wow it's a British Parliamentary Debate Style, they get the topic on the spot prepare for 15minutes and speak for 7 minutes, not an easy task but no biggie for seasoned debaters. Good Job guys, those that debated in Uni would understand and of course, it is always FUN.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by ademoladeji(m): 11:46pm On Apr 07, 2017
kernel501:

Who did you win us?
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 2:27am On Apr 08, 2017
Fiyinfoluwa20:
Wow it's a British Parliamentary Debate Style, they get the topic on the spot prepare for 15minutes and speak for 7 minutes, not an easy task but no biggie for seasoned debaters. Good Job guys, those that debated in Uni would understand and of course, it is always FUN.

Was there any video recording of the event?
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 2:37am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

....... Also safe and orderly. Not forgetting expensive. shocked

They are also known to have one of the most renowned elementary and secondary school system (if not the best) in the world. I wish we would copy them.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 2:37am On Apr 08, 2017
fufuNegusi:
Singapore is very beautiful and peaceful country

They are also known to have one of the most renowned elementary and secondary school system (if not the best) in the world. I wish we would copy them.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 4:33am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

Best? Yes. Tough? The Singapore's education system is tough oh.I doubt I'd have been able to survive such if I were a secondary school student grin They drill them really hard. Some criticise it (fellow Singaporeans on the ST), saying it's stressful and doesn't leave time for other creative work. But generally, anything about Singapore is damn good.

Learn from them? When we owe teachers for a living? When teaching is seen as the last resort? The government picks the very best and trains them real hard. No constant light for the child(ren) to even read their books. Unsurprisingly, their tertiary system is also good. The Nanyang Technological University founded in 1990 is currently the 13th best university according to the QS Rankings, meanwhile Uniuyo was created same year shocked.

Nigeria has disappointed the black race.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 4:44am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

Best? Yes. Tough? The Singapore's education system is tough oh.I doubt I'd have been able to survive such if I were a secondary school student grin They drill them really hard. Some criticise it (fellow Singaporeans on the ST), saying it's stressful and doesn't leave time for other creative work. But generally, anything about Singapore is damn good.

Learn from them? When we owe teachers for a living? When teaching is seen as the last resort? The government picks the very best and trains them real hard. No constant light for the child(ren) to even read their books. Unsurprisingly, their tertiary system is also good. The Nanyang Technological University founded in 1990 is currently the 13th best university according to the QS Rankings, meanwhile Uniuyo was created same year shocked.

Nigeria has disappointed the black race.

But what is the point of education if not to make kids creative? All those times spent cramming and studying still the United states that ranks waaaaaaaaaaaay below the Asian countries still dominate? I know there are several other factors that contribute to there success but is it that the American school sytems (the ones in the wealthy districts) just seem to focus on creating well rounded students as supposed to just book worms. Someone needs to write a Ph.D thesis on that one.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 4:47am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

Either way, i believe that the best way for Nigeria to improve its educational system is for schools to be left to the local govt (schools should be funded by local property taxes and some grants from the state) with sufficient oversight from the state. In other words, the state grants each school its accreditation and if they slip below standards then a trial period is giving to them and if they still can't make up the gap then they lose thete accreditation or the state takes control of the school from the local govt or shuts it down (if its a private institution).

This federal model we have been practicing for decades have not worked.

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 5:12am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

But what is the point of education if not to make kids creative? All those times spent cramming and studying still the United states that ranks waaaaaaaaaaaay below the Asian countries still dominate? I know there are several other factors that contribute to there success but is it that the American school sytems (the ones in the wealthy districts) just seem to focus on creating well rounded students as supposed to just book worms.Someone needs to write a Ph.D thesis on that one.

There have been countless studies on that. Asian nations had to ramp up their education system to produce employees for the job market. It is similar to Nigeria (which is why I keep saying Africa should copy Asian nations, we've things in common). Thereby having less time to make them "creative" folks but disciplined, possessing strong work ethic, machine-like workers etc. Moreover, the culture of most Asian nations is more subservient, folks who are creative, conservative, tend to generally challenge the authorities. Asian countries no wan that kind thing. Think about our don't disrespect parents or complain when reprimanded.

Additionally, due to the economic growth and development, there was need for less creative guys. Just train them for employment. However, there now seems to be a tide by most governments ensuring their students become creative and entrepreneurial instead of always waiting for jobs in MNC or large factories. The Singaporean government cancelled their tradition of posting the students with the best PSL results (our common entrance examination) 'cos of the stress it might induce in students - with low marks feeling that is the end of their world. The issue of persons with low grades in school succeeding later in life came up. Their Dino's moment. grin. But the culture still holds sway, the Asian Tiger Moms (always telling one to read. They even compare grades among neighbours' kids. I remember a meme online where someone with 98/100 was scolded for scoring such when someone else had 100/100. The theory of "they don't have two heads" - similar to most African moms). They even spent $1bn in tuition fees last year on extramural classes. Same thing occurs in Japan, South Korea, and China. La cram, la pour, la discipline, la get a good job, la retire, la forget entrepreneurship etc.

Mine is what was Nigeria doing when these guys were developing. Almost 57 years old and we cannot provide people with uninterrupted power supply.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 5:30am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

Either way, i believe that the best way for Nigeria to improve its educational system is for schools to be left to the local govt (schools should be funded by local property taxes and some grants from the state) with sufficient oversight from the state In other words, the state grants each school its accreditation and if they slip below a standard then a trial period is giving to them and if they still can't make up the gap then the state seizes the school from the local govt or shuts it down (if its a private institution).

This federal model we have been practicing for decades have not worked.

Similar idea I had. However, that will require a change in the political structure of the country. Our local councils are mere appendages of the state governments. Even the roads a typical council should rehabilitate is what a state governor will do and erect a billboard showing before and after. For common road construction. More like make-up sessions.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 5:37am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

There have been countless studies on that. Asian nations had to ramp up their education system to produce employees for the job market. It is similar to Nigeria (which is why I keep saying Africa should copy Asian nations, we've things in common). Thereby having less time to make them "creative" folks but disciplined, possessing strong work ethic, machine-like workers etc. Moreover, the culture of most Asian nations is more subservient, folks who are creative, conservative, tend to generally challenge the authorities. Asian countries no wan that kind thing. Think about our don't disrespect parents or complain when reprimanded.

Additionally, due to the economic growth and development, there was need for less creative guys. Just train them for employment. However, there now seems to be a tide by most governments ensuring their students become creative and entrepreneurial instead of always waiting for jobs in MNC or large factories. The Singaporean government cancelled their tradition of posting the students with the best PSL results (our common entrance examination) 'cos of the stress it might induce in students - with low marks feeling that is the end of their world. The issue of persons with low grades in school succeeding later in life came up. Their Dino's moment. grin. But the culture still holds sway, the Asian Tiger Moms (always telling one to read. They even compare grades among neighbours' kids. I remember a meme online where someone with 98/100 was scolded for scoring such when someone else had 100/100. The theory of "they don't have two heads" - similar to most African moms). They even spent $1bn in tuition fees last year on extramural classes. Same thing occurs in Japan, South Korea, and China. La cram, la pour, la discipline, la get a good job, la retire, la forget entrepreneurship etc.

Mine is what was Nigeria doing when these guys were developing. Almost 57 years old and we cannot provide people with uninterrupted power supply.

Personally, while I respect the Asian model, I do not like it that much cos it doesn't place as much focus on creativity as western education. I strongly feel that the western model focused on critical thinking and problem solving as opposed to cramming will help us in the long run. I personally would prefer that we emulate the Finns and the other Scandinavian countries that place less of a premium on cramming or overworking kids but expressing themselves and being solutuon oriented.

Nigeria does not need to create a mass market of workers for the labor market but problem solvers as our problems are so much it will take a lot of creative people to solve them (think Niger Delta pollution).

Now, we can import this people from other countries via immigration, work permits into the country but considering the fact that its only very very few westerners who are going to be brave enough to want to move to a country fraught with malaria (and other diseases) and terrorism, there is not going to be a lot of them to go around so its better we make them by ourselves by overhauling or current educational system and investing heavily in it.

Another point I wanted to make is that the world is moving from mass production to automation so releasing a bunch of standard crammers into the work force is not necessarily going to make our economy in the long run hence the need to focus on problem solving and innovation.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 5:52am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

Similar idea I had. However, that will require a change in the political structure of the country. Our local councils are mere appendages of the state governments. Even the roads a typical council should rehabilitate is what a state governor will do and erect a billboard showing before and after. For common road construction. More like make-up sessions.

That's why the country needs a bold and courageous leader who is not afraid to make tough choices (even though it costs him votes) and properly explain them to the people so as to carry them along. This is something no Nigerian govt has ever been able to do.

Anone can make the popular decision that everyone agrees with but it takes a truly courageous and decisive leader to go against the grain and make the right decision even if it's highly unpopular. Thats why guys like Harry Truman are highly respected today because they were not afraid to make the big and difficult decisions. It's the weak and indecisive leaders that try to PLEASE EVERYONE.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 5:54am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

Personally, while I respect the Asian model, I do not like it that much cos it doesn't place as much focus on creativity as western education. I strongly feel that the western model focused on critical thinking and problem solving as opposed to cramming will help us in the long run. I personally would prefer that we emulate the Finns and the other Scandinavian countries that place less of a premium on cramming or overworking kids but expressing themselves and being solutuon oriented.

Nigeria does not need to create a mass market of workers for the labor market but problem solvers as our problems are so much it will take a lot of creative people to solve them (think Niger Delta pollution).

Now, we can import this people from other countries via immigration, work permits into the country but considering the fact that its only very very few westerners who are going to be brave enough to want to move to a country fraught with malaria (and other diseases) and terrorism, there is not going to be a lot of them to go around so its better we make them by ourselves by overhauling or current educational system and investing heavily in it.

Another point I wanted to make is that the world is moving from mass production to automation so releasing a bunch of standard crammers into the work force is not necessarily going to make our economy in the long run hence the need to focus on problem solving and innovation.

We should marry the two. Discipline + creative thinking. Yes, the world is moving to AI, automation and robotics of which Japan is a leader in the latter. But generally, we need (African nations) to ramp up development. We're damn backwards in every aspect of development.

And yes, critical thinking and logical reasoning is extremely vital for Nigeria. Using Nairaland as a case study.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 6:03am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

We should marry the two. Discipline + creative thinking. Yes, the world is moving to AI, automation and robotics of which Japan is a leader in the latter. But generally, we need (African nations) to ramp up development. We're damn backwards in every aspect of development.

And yes, critical thinking and logical reasoning is extremely vital for Nigeria. Using Nairaland as a case study.

What i am saying is that we can leapfrog the mass production stage (or the earlier stages) that the advanced economies passed through back in the day and land around the same vicinity with them if we get this education thing right.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 6:05am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

That's why the country needs a bold and courageous leader who is not afraid to make tough choices (even though it costs him votes) and properly explain them to the people so as to carry them along. This is something no Nigerian govt has ever been able to do.

Anone can make the popular decision that everyone agrees with but it takes a truly courageous and decisive leader to go against the grain and make the right decision even if it's highly unpopular. Thats why guys like Harry Truman are highly respected today because they were not afraid to make the big and difficult decisions. It's the weak and indecisive leaders that try to PLEASE EVERYONE.

If wishes were horses........ A PhD holder in protein engineering from Surrey told me that the political system discourages good people from contesting in elections. The man regrets coming back. You need to see him complaining. More like who send me come back grin grin
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 6:08am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

What i am saying is that we can leapfrog the mass production stage (or the earlier stages) that the advanced economies passed through back in the day and land around the same vicinity with them if we get this education thing right.

I get you very well. However, that entails restructuring the system entirely. Mission impossible infinity.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 6:10am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

If wishes were horses........ A PhD holder in protein engineering from Surrey told me that the political system discourages good people from contesting in elections. The man regrets coming back. You need to see him complaining. More like who send me come back grin grin

Yep. I concur. I heard INEC is reducing the fees required to run for office to 10 million since Buhari had to borrow money to be able to pay the 25 million require of him to register as a candidate and they wonder why Nigeria cannot find qualified candidates to run for office.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 6:17am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

I get you very well. However, that entails restructuring the system entirely. Mission impossible infinity.

If we can get rid of this INEC rules that keep the wealthy and politically connected in office them Naija will be fine.

https://www.nairaland.com/3720882/2019-presidential-nomination-forms-cost
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 6:25am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

If we can get rid of this INEC rules that keep the wealthy and politically connected in office them Naija will be fine.

https://www.nairaland.com/3720882/2019-presidential-nomination-forms-cost

You seem to forget that the leaders (rulers) of any nation comes from the citizenry. The man from Surrey has same vision as Lee Kuan Yew. Problem is: very few Nigerians will vote for such person. Which is why I say, we deserve what we get.
Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by davidif: 7:00am On Apr 08, 2017
Gerrard59:

You seem to forget that the leaders (rulers) of any nation comes from the citizenry. The man from Surrey has same vision as Lee Kuan Yew. Problem is: very few Nigerians will vote for such person. Which is why I say, we deserve what we get.

To build a movement you have to start from the grassroots not from the ivory towers of academia or the corporate boardroom. You need to be able to get down and dirty with the populace and listen to the people and offer them your solution.

You have to start off small. Preferably local or state senatoral districts and build your coalition from there. Pick a region of the country to build your base. It could be an urban area with lots of university students or rural areas with a lot of farmers and market women and listen to there stories and there everyday challenges.
You gotta be able to go to PTA meetings and listen to the patents and the teachers. You gotta be able to go to university convocations and student union assemblies and listen to the students. You gotta be able to go to trade unions or association of market women and just listen and find out what there everyday challenges are. In other words, you have to be able to speak there language. You would be amazed the things you learn when you walk in someone elses shoes. Very insightful stuff.
Don't forget that lofty goals are just that - lofty
And until they are married with reality they just remain abstract concepts which sound good on paper but are of little value to the masses: in other words, it's all sounds good in your head until it faces the harshness of reality.

Finally, never forget that this is a long term thing (upwards of 10 years) not something you just decide to do during election season.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti Students Represent Nigeria In Oldham International Debate In Singapore(pix by Gerrard59(m): 10:06am On Apr 08, 2017
davidif:

To build a movement you have to start from the grassroots not from the ivory towers of academia or the corporate boardroom. You need to be able to get down and dirty with the populace and listen to the people and offer them your solution.

You have to start off small. Preferably local or state senatoral districts and build your coalition from there. Pick a region of the country to build your base. It could be an urban area with lots of university students or rural areas with a lot of farmers and market women and listen to there stories and there everyday challenges.
You gotta be able to go to PTA meetings and listen to the patents and the teachers. You gotta be able to go to university convocations and seminars and listen to them. You gotta be able to go to trade unions or association of market women and just listen and find out what there everyday challenges are. In other words, you have to be able to speak there language. Lofty goals are good on paper that is until they meet reality.

This is a long term thing (upwards of 10 years) not something you just decide to do during election season.

Thank you for the tips. Its been a nice time discussing with you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NOUN No Longer Second Class Varsity, Says VC / History Of Some Top Nigerian Universities / ABSU Closed Till Further Notice: Students Protesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.