Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Rural Areas; The Best Place To Discharge Your Duty As A Corps Member By Frank - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Rural Areas; The Best Place To Discharge Your Duty As A Corps Member By Frank (591 Views)

NYSC 2019 Batch A Corps Members Thread / NCCF Kano Distributes Relief Materials To Rural Areas In Kano / A Corp Member By Name Idiege Steven Omang Built A Gigantic Lodge In Edo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rural Areas; The Best Place To Discharge Your Duty As A Corps Member By Frank by corpersforum(f): 9:33am On Apr 10, 2017
Serving my father land was never easy but became easy with the understanding of the aims and objectives of the body (NYSC) incorporating this necessity. To some persons, NYSC is a waste of one year of one's life;so I thought at first though.

But I came to realize that this scheme is an adventure of life on its own, a period to define purpose, a compulsory period to observe life and understand the principles governing the universe; environmental determinism and possibilism, a period to meet, understand, and know how to deal with people of different attitudes and characters, and more especially a period after school and before facing the real world; a world of responsibilities and independency.

I am very much certain that some persons have never had the opportunity to travel out of their birth zone or state, or stay out of the comfort of their homes, but with this scheme, they tend to be re-socialized by being randomly posted elsewhere.

Some will be glad to go, some will relent a bit (murmur) and finally accept especially after realizing how much they needed to meet, explore and experience new ways of life of other Nigerian cultures, while some will never want to go and that's where they begin to seek relocation or redeployment; although there are understandable and genuing reasons, situations or circumstances that can prompt the seeking of relocation or reposting, but most corps members seek this for comfort even though the reasons given for the purposes of relocation or reposting is not going to be presented as such.

When I was a prospective corps member, I wanted to serve far from home Haven spent virtually all my life in the north even though I don't originate from there. But even with me wanting to move elsewhere, I still had a choice of wanting to serve in a city. I was actually posted to the South; Delta State to be precise, which was a plus on my expectations; but the most crucial part of my service plan was cut short as I was posted to a rural area from the orientation camp; at first was disappointed and sad, filled with questions and thoughts of survival.

Even though I had the chance of getting a repost, something inside of me kept telling me to accept the fate, which I did. now I've got stories to tell about my adventures in the rural area. Before I go further, will like to put it to us that the rural areas have levels ; we have the hamlet, homestead and the village, all under 'rural regions'.

Most people will prefer to serve in a city; I would have preferred so to like I said before, but let me shock you;touching stories cannot be told, life changing history cannot be made in cities as compared to the rural areas; why?, cities like Abuja, Lagos, Asaba, Warri, Ibadan and the likes are places one can visit at anytime in one's life, but that village, even in some persons wildest dream might not even visualize self there. It's just like falling from grace to grass; Haven being born in luxury or civilization and falling back to the revolutionary era of your grandfathers or father in the 21st century; so they will think.

Come to think of it, don't you think it will be fun when you sit down with your friends, children or family members and tell them about your encounter and adventure experienced during your service year in a rural area ; like: how you used to live without electricity for a whole year with the knowledge that there ain't hope of restoration; no trace of wiring or broken transforms awaiting repairs; funny!, how you used to climb mountains in search of network to place calls if at all there is signal around, how bank transactions was a big problem due to the absence of banks; accessing one had to be you traveling miles or kilometers, how you used to wait for several or no day in some rural areas for the general market.

In the case of some riverine areas, how you used to bath and probably drink unclean River water that looks like tea without much milk, how you used to transport yourself to your place of primary assignment (PPA) via canoe or speed boat as the case maybe with limited or no life jacket: what a great risk; hmmmmmm. Having stories to tell about having to trek miles or kilometers to church or no church at all as the case may be, how mosquitoes and sun flies dealt with you and there was nothing you could do about it: hahahahhahahaha!

In the case of areas experiencing high amount of rainfall throughout the year which tend to be flooded especially places surrounded with water; how you used to wear rain boots to you PPA.

How you were treated like a king in the midst of a king by the Rural dwellers, bringing what ever they have, be it farm produce or fishes to you as if you are an Oracle so as to making you feel comfortable and welcomed. How you learnt a lot a lot of things which may be farming, hunting, swimming or fishing, also how you were exposed to different local diets for free. All these and many more fun and sacrificial experiences you cannot buy, you get for free serving in the rural areas.

Coming back to the urban centers, who cares for you?, where virtually everyone you see have attained one level of education or the other even higher than what you have obtained as a Corps member, where even an agbero will look at you and shout "who you be sef, Na only you finish school?" or where street uneducated people respects you not as a Corps member or where cost of living is very high and most corps members are dependent on the little 19,800 naira the federal government pays as monthly allowance; what stories do you have to tell that your children or friends Haven't seen or won't be seeing or come in contact with in one way or the other. Are you going to tell them about the regular or irregular power supply you enjoyed, or is it the stable or fluctuating network services you enjoyed, or about transportation using automobiles, or the various social amenities you enjoyed?

All these ain't history to restructure ones life and mentality about survival, because life is all about struggles, and most times, the hard times, though not good, makes one stronger both in pain and gain, both in little and surplus; but history and stories painting life to always be a bed of roses..

Some persons will think am insane, but from my personal experience I will end this article by saying 'the best place to serve is in the rural areas'.

LONG LIVE NYSC!

FRANK NWANKWO
DT/16A/0557 (EX-DELTA CORPER)

(1) (Reply)

Important Information For Prospective Corps Member, Batch A. / Lady Recreates Her Mum’s NYSC Photo / Business Writing Certification Training In Lagos, Port-harcourt, Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.