Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,632 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola (779 Views)

Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary / LG Autonomy: Governors Petition Buhari, Over Control Local Government Allocation / I’ll Restore LG Autonomy,end Hunger – Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Blue3k(m): 5:34am On Apr 11, 2017
By Gbenga Olarinoye

Osogbo—Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State, yesterday said those clamoring for autonomy of the local government in the country should remember that it remains an aberration that negates the principle of federalism.

Aregbesola said the 16 years of intensive internecine war among the different groups within the Yoruba enclave was a resistance against one group lording it over the other and a direct efforts at instituting and preserving federalism.

He yesterday also sent the list of care-taker for councils and administrative office to the state House of Assembly for approval.

Aregbesola said local councils are under absolute control of the state and that the only organ empowered by the constitution to make laws for them is the House of Assembly.

Governor Aregbesola made these statements while declaring open the 2017 NULGE Week at a Public Lecture organized by the Osun State Chapter of the Nigerian Union of Local Government Employees NULGE, in Osogbo.

This war, according to the Governor, was instructive to the extent Yoruba people wanted autonomy which federalism guarantees such that one group would not lord it over the other in administrative system.

The governor averred that the current campaign for autonomy of local government is capable of destroying federalism and by extension the country at large.

The Governor described the belief gaining grounds that local governments should be independent of state governments as totally strange and anti-federalism.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/lg-autonomy-aberration-federation-aregbesola/

1 Like

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by ORACLE1975(m): 5:35am On Apr 11, 2017
Ogbeni short up.

3 Likes

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Splashme: 5:50am On Apr 11, 2017
Another illiterate governor talking.....

A 'refrigerator technician' from Ibadan Polytechnic coming to talk authoritatively about constructional issues. What does he know?

2 Likes

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by orisa37: 5:53am On Apr 11, 2017
Gosola, you're right. Now couch your Assembly to resolve to make Local Governments responsible to Traditional Rulers and Traditional Rulers responsible to State Governments for Votes and Elections and Control of their Resources.
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Blue3k(m): 5:55am On Apr 11, 2017
Power Drunk governors with crazy scenarios. How exactly would giving Local Government control of finances open give opportunity for larger groups to oppress smaller ones? Second why use strawmen about local government making laws contrary to state laws?

NULGE from everything I read wants end to Joint account provision. Local governments should be the people taking care of local issues like street lights, schools, roads, burial grounds etc. The fact is the emporers esque governor don't want to relinquish such power.

The hyperbole about how local government having a little bit of autonomy from state government leads to destruction of federalism is laughable. Did it happen in USA? Cities in USA have level of autonomy but still fall under state control under dillon rules.

1 Like

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Pavore9: 5:56am On Apr 11, 2017
Governors will not let go of one of their means of embezzlement.

1 Like

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by BigBelleControl(m): 6:38am On Apr 11, 2017
This statements from this so called governor is a true testament to the fact that our 'leaders' need mental test. This guy has been ruling like an authoritarian leader for more than six years. No commissioners, no local government chairmen. And now, he's making this irresponsible statement just to justify his failure. I think he needs more lesson on what true federalism is all about.

1 Like

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Atiku2019: 6:41am On Apr 11, 2017
I Stand With Local Government Autonomy in Nigeria... cool

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by shaddoww: 6:48am On Apr 11, 2017
I have had dis argument with some guys b4, in federalism, LG isn't recognised as a federating unit. So it will b odd if we make it one, but the way our governors steal LG funds is wat brought abt d clamour for LG autonomy.
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by babyfaceafrica: 7:31am On Apr 11, 2017
Lolz.,he has a point though
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by omohayek: 7:35am On Apr 11, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Lolz.,he has a point though
And what would that be? Because I don't see any point to Aregbesola's argument, just pathetic excuses for refusing to grant LGAs the autonomy they need to be effective.

1 Like

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by OBAGADAFFI: 7:38am On Apr 11, 2017
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Blue3k(m): 7:38am On Apr 11, 2017
shaddoww:
I have had dis argument with some guys b4, in federalism, LG isn't recognised as a federating unit. So it will b odd if we make it one, but the way our governors steal LG funds is wat brought abt d clamour for LG autonomy.

I don't think NULGE claimed it wanted it to be. They just wanted joint account provision revoked. This is 3rd story I reposted about this and don't remember them claiming what this governors talking about.

I think we all agree LG should have fiscal autonomy. The statest can simply limit law making power of Local government through something like dillon rule.

http://www.nlc.org/local-government-authority

1 Like

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by babyfaceafrica: 7:38am On Apr 11, 2017
omohayek:

And what would that be? Because I don't see any point to Aregbesola's argument, just pathetic excuses for refusing to grant LGAs the autonomy they need to be effective.
if you understand government ,you will know
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by omohayek: 7:40am On Apr 11, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
I know far more about government than you seem to, as your "answer" is completely vacuous.
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by babyfaceafrica: 7:48am On Apr 11, 2017
omohayek:

I know far more about government than you seem to, as your "answer" is completely vacuous.
k
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by fergie001: 9:55am On Apr 11, 2017
Omg,he didn't say this.
It must be a lie.
A human being with breathe can't say dis
Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Blue3k(m): 2:54pm On Apr 11, 2017
babyfaceafrica:

You should explain your answer. Everyone gave actual supporting facts to back up claim. How would giving Local Government control of finances lead to issues governor claims. How well do local government carry out these duties listed.

●Economic recommendations to the State;

●Collection of taxes and fees;

●Establishment and maintenance of cemeteries, burial grounds and homes for the destitute or infirm;

●Licensing of bicycles, trucks (other than mechanically propelled trucks), canoes, wheel barrows and carts;

●Establishment, maintenance and regulation of markets, motor parks and public conveniences;

●Construction and maintenance of roads, streets, drains and other public highways, parks, and open spaces;

●Naming of roads and streets and numbering of houses;

●Provision and maintenance of public transportation and refuse disposal;

●Registration of births, deaths and marriages;
Assessment of privately owned houses or tenements for the purpose of levying such rates as may be prescribed by the House of Assembly of a State; and,

●Control and regulation of out-door advertising, movement and keeping of pets of all descriptions, shops and kiosks, restaurants and other places for sale of food to the public, and laundries.

1 Like

Re: LG Autonomy, An Aberration In Federation — Aregbesola by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 11, 2017
antithesis grin

(1) (Reply)

The osborne Towers, A Luxury Residential Complex In Ikoyi, Lagos Where EFCC Said / Ikoyigate: Amaechi Is A Greedy Peasant, Owns The $43M - Fani-kayode / Breaking News! 1 Killed, 1,000 Houses Destroyed In Kano State Rain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.