Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,083 members, 7,818,240 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Nigerian Ofe Akwu - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Ofe Akwu (1061 Views)

Igbo People, Ofe Akwu. / How To Cook Ofe Onugbu Bitterleaf Soup / What Does The Benin Word "Ofe" Mean In English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Ofe Akwu by ewa26: 6:48pm On Apr 11, 2017
ok here, i'll teach una how to cook sumtin call ofe akwu, is d igbo version of d banga urhobo soup ok
so you wi need (INGRedient): tinned banga or d akwu if you get fresh banga but im using tin banga ok, turkey and fresh fish, curry powder, fresh thyme, paprika, cinammon and cumin. crayfish and ogiri okpei dadawa, ketchup 8 maggi cubes and 10 habanero pepe

ok what u do first is to season, marinate d turkey with d paprika, cinammon, cumin and fresh thyme, and nutmeg if you have am, den u will now put in pot and add d fresh fish, then when it boils, add 3 tablespoons of salt, 4 knorr or maggi cubes and leave to cook.
in a separate pot, you now put d akwu, den u leave to boil bur mix am with watar before you boil so is the right consistency (if using d tin banga
then, add your orisirisi meat, the 4 other maggi cubes and leave to boil till ready. put ketchup small, to give dat popping red color
then serve with jollof rice, agidi jollof, boiled white rice, white puna yam, spaghetti or even indomie and boiled egg grin

d brand I used is ghana best ok
Re: Nigerian Ofe Akwu by Nobody: 10:40pm On Apr 11, 2017
ewa26:
ok here, i'll teach una how to cook sumtin call ofe akwu, is d igbo version of d banga urhobo soup ok
so you wi need (INGRedient): tinned banga or d akwu if you get fresh banga but im using tin banga ok, turkey and fresh fish, curry powder, fresh thyme, paprika, cinammon and cumin. crayfish and ogiri okpei dadawa, ketchup 8 maggi cubes and 10 habanero pepe

ok what u do first is to season, marinate d turkey with d paprika, cinammon cheesy, cumin and fresh thyme, and nutmeg if you have am, den u will now put in pot and add d fresh fish, then when it boils, add 3 tablespoons of salt, 4 knorr or maggi cubes and leave to cook.
in a separate pot, you now put d akwu, den u leave to boil bur mix am with watar before you boil so is the right consistency (if using d tin banga
then, add your orisirisi meat, the 4 other maggi cubes and leave to boil till ready. put ketchup small, to give dat popping red color
then serve with jollof rice, agidi jollof, boiled white rice, white puna yam, spaghetti or even indomie and boiled egg

d brand I used is ghana best ok

Not disrespecting your hustle/craft....but seriously cummin, cinnamon, nutmeg in ofe akwu?
Sooo wrong cry....I know you may be trying to make it more continental? But then, culture is culture....market and sell the original, no oyibo man would try to cook, say, a pot roast or lasagna and add ogili and akanwu to it for the targeted audience! They own themselves like that....we do (or should) too, so do the right thing...real ofe akwu rocks...cinnamon and cummin and nutmeg makes it more Asian, and plain wrong....I am keeping quiet on the turkey, because it is for everybody, no? I dunno again...would totally use chicken before turkey though
Okay, this last bit is my bias against turkey showing cheesy

....All the best and cheers
From,
an Onye Igbo who expects the world to see and take us for who we are, and respect us so

(Modified)
I just saw your other recipes and realise you are surely? trolling with them cheesy
I feel punked...would have deleted my post but my response is actually a heartfelt one, and stems from a place where Africa is loved...so I am going to leave it, maybe it would inspire someone, and spark up something nice, dunno what though shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ofe Akwu by ewa26: 5:15am On Apr 12, 2017
merahki:

Not disrespecting your hustle/craft....but seriously cummin, cinnamon, nutmeg in ofe akwu?
Sooo wrong cry....I know you may be trying to make it more continental? But then, culture is culture....market and sell the original, no oyibo man would try to cook, say, a pot roast or lasagna and add ogili and akanwu to it for the targeted audience! They own themselves like that....we do (or should) too, so do the right thing...real ofe akwu rocks...cinnamon and cummin and nutmeg makes it more Asian, and plain wrong....I am keeping quiet on the turkey, because it is for everybody, no? I dunno again...would totally use chicken before turkey though
Okay, this last bit is my bias against turkey showing cheesy

....All the best and cheers
From,
an Onye Igbo who expects the world to see and take us for who we are, and respect us so

(Modified)
I just saw your other recipes and realise you are surely? trolling with them cheesy
I feel punked...would have deleted my post but my response is actually a heartfelt one, and stems from a place where Africa is loved...so I am going to leave it, maybe it would inspire someone, and spark up something nice, dunno what though shocked

hia!!! No I'm not trolling I'm just cooking traditional Nigeria food with a foreign twist

How dare you! I taught u. We're nice
Re: Nigerian Ofe Akwu by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 12, 2017
ewa26:
hia!!! No I'm not trolling I'm just cooking traditional Nigeria food with a foreign twist

How dare you! I taught u. We're nice

Dead cheesy
Well,....your cooking will surely change the world teacher mine....lol
Okay, bye
Re: Nigerian Ofe Akwu by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 12, 2017
merahki:

Dead cheesy
Well,....your cooking will surely change the world teacher mine....lol
Okay, bye
That OP is definitely batshit crazy

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ofe Akwu by ewa26: 6:41pm On Apr 12, 2017
Antares:
That OP is definitely batshit crazy
no im a very good cook
Re: Nigerian Ofe Akwu by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 13, 2017
ewa26:
no im a very good cook

cheesy
Okay we believe you
You know what? Use dried fish instead of the fresh one, and you might be on to something weirdly nice tongue

Have a happy holiday!
Re: Nigerian Ofe Akwu by ewa26: 1:52am On Apr 14, 2017
merahki:

cheesy
Okay we believe you
You know what? Use dried fish instead of the fresh one, and you might be on to something weirdly nice tongue

Have a happy holiday!
no fresh fish is sweetest!

(1) (Reply)

I Am A Traditionalist, Christian And A Practicing Muslim – Ooni Of Ife / I Am So Ashamed Of My Life Please Help Me / Do Africans & African Americans Hate Each Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.