Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law (3033 Views)

Tinubu Seeing Off The Visiting And Outgoing British High Commissioner. PIC / "Ebonyi Roads Are Best In South-East", Paul Arkwright British High Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by irepnaija4eva(m): 5:28pm On Apr 12, 2017
- The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has condemned the remark by the United Kingdom High Commissioner Paul Arkwright on Nigeria and Biafra agitation

- The Biafra group said Arkwright's statement is distasteful and unfortunate

- IPOB in its statement said the British envoy's comment displayed a lack of understanding of international law and protocol

- The group said it will be fraudulent for some Nigerians to deceive other citizens who lack knowledge of things done in their names.

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has said condemned the remark by the United Kingdom High Commissioner Paul Arkwright on Nigeria and Biafra agitation.

The Biafra group said Arkwright's statement is distasteful and unfortunate.

Arkwright in a public lecture on, "Brexit: Lessons, Challenges and Opportunities for Nigeria" at the Federal University, Lokoja, on Thursday, April 6 said the UK remain firm in its support for one Nigeria.

But IPOB in its statement signed by Ikenna Chinaka and Grace Ukpai said the British envoy's comment displayed a lack of understanding of international law and protocol.

"From our very careful observation, we are of the view that two factors could have been responsible for Mr. Arkwright’s uncharacteristic diplomatic blunder.

The first that immediately comes to mind is ignorance and the second, which is equally unfortunate, even more so than the first, is mischief. Riding on these assumptions, we shall now take the liberty of this press statement to address these two possible inadequacies which His Excellency might be suffering from and to clear every doubt his stance may have engendered in the minds of a largely undiscerning and docile populace," IPOB said.

The IPOB also said it wants to presume that Arkwright might have been influenced by a phrase in the 1999 Constitution that, "We the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Having firmly and solemnly resolved, to live in unity and harmony as one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign nation under God,…”

The group said: "We make haste therefore to inform Mr. Arkwright that even the most poorly lettered man on the streets of Lokoja (venue of Mr. Arkwright’s public lecture) agree that the Amended Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar 1999 Constitution lied about itself and that the first lie in that Constitution is the wasteful phrase: “We the people”.

"It is the duty of IPOB to clear the illusions this deceptive phrase might have planted in the pliable mind of Mr. Arkwright and others like him. No doubt, the above phrase seeks to convey the misleading impression that ordinary people of Nigeria willingly in a conference, meeting or assembly convened by Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar somewhere in Abuja in 1999 agreed to vest immutable non-negotiable sovereignty on the Nigerian nation through the instrumentality of the said 1999 Constitution," the statement said.

The point IPOB is making here is to the effect that, in the exercise of the sovereign powers bestowed on it, an artificial creation like the Nigerian state or indeed any other country, can limit its own sovereignty or surrender a part of same.

"The truth as it stands today is that the Nigerian state, has out of its own volition already surrendered Nigerian sovereignty over Bakassi Peninsular, which therefore enables any part of Nigeria or section thereof to secede when they so decide, contrary to the wishes and ambitions of the neo-colonialists like Mr. Arkwright.

This is equally true and remains same for even Great Britain whom Mr. Arkwright represents in Nigeria. Let us explain," Chinaka said.

The group added that while there is no doubt that the Nigerian president has the powers to enter into treaties with foreign nations (both bilateral and multilateral) which is binding on the whole Nigerian state.

"Section 12 of the Amended Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar 1999 Constitution has laid down the procedure for the domestication of such treaties as a condition precedent to their activation as a law in Nigeria," the group said.

It also said: "The jurisprudence beacon offered by the galaxy of authorities examined above leaves us with the only conviction that Mr. Paul Arkwright’s position is out of tune with contemporary realities which reflects poorly on his standing as a seasoned diplomat. He must work hard to redeem his image which is being seen by many concerned Africans as one steeped in gross incompetence devoid of any intellectual depth.

"A good starting point will be for him to acknowledge that this Nigerian state as presently constituted, created by his fellow countryman Frederick Luggard, has voluntarily, by domesticating Article 20 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Right, accepted to give fillip to any section of the country wishing to secede by facilitating the exercise of that undeniable right through referendum as was recently done in the United Kingdom, where Mr. Arkwright comes from and is representing, regarding Scotland.
The second duty on the part of Mr. Paul Arkwright is for him to wake up to his real duties by impressing upon the Nigerian government the imperative of discharging its obligation (under UN Declaration and African Charter) of facilitating a referendum for a peaceful Biafra exit from Nigeria.

It is our hope that Mr. Paul Arkwright appreciates this new reality, otherwise we would be forced to draw the alternative inference that he set out ab initio to cause mischief and test the will and resolve of IPOB.

This would be most unfortunate if it were to be so since the pervasive consequences of such an action will not spare anyone trying to subvert the will of the Biafran people. For record purposes, the Conservative Party led British Government of Theresa May has nothing to fear from the emergence of Biafra, after all we Biafrans are the most Anglophile of all races in Africa.

The IPOB further concluded that it would be disastrous if the British High Commissioner decides to continue pursing stance on the unity of Nigeria.

https://www.naij.com/1099145-ipob-lectures-british-high-commissioner-international-law.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Afriifa(m): 5:33pm On Apr 12, 2017
Who is said the Niger Delta is looking up to the Igbos as big brothers?

Not even in my sleep. God4bid

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by weyab: 5:35pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:
Who is said the Niger Delta is looking up to the Igbos as big brothers?

Not even in my sleep. God4bid
u mean imo , abia...cos na niger delta grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Afriifa(m): 5:40pm On Apr 12, 2017
weyab:
u mean imo , abia...cos na niger delta grin
men to me Niger Delta is just the Six states in south-south, the inclusion of Imo and Abia is just to distort our Unity as a region. So let me tell you.

To an South-southearner. He is a Niger Delta. You should be busy claiming south-east and Your Biafra. Perhaps, are you tired of chasing biafra?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by weyab: 5:58pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:
men to me Niger Delta is just the Six states in south-south, the inclusion of Imo and Abia is just to distort our Unity as a region. So let me tell you.

To an South-southearner. He is a Niger Delta. You should be busy claiming south-east and Your Biafra. Perhaps, are you tired of chasing biafra?
wats d meaning of niger delta self

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

Don't be dumb..This is the Niger delta

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Afriifa(m): 6:46pm On Apr 12, 2017
weyab:
wats d meaning of niger delta self
what is Biafra self
Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Afriifa(m): 6:52pm On Apr 12, 2017
ikeadewole:

Don't be dumb..This is the Niger delta
fool of all didn't you read my comment? To a south-southearner, he is a Niger Deltan. The likes of Imo and Abia were only added to distort our Unity.

I didn't mention Ondo state because, Kingsley Kuku(an Ijaw man hails from there) hails from there. Learn how to read English. The likes of Imo and abia were added even just recently by the abasanjo administration. So guy learn how to comprehend very well, because I made it obvious why the likes of Imo and Abia made the list..

Without Oil abia and Imo is far from what we call Niger Delta. Get that into your head.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:
fool of all didn't you read my comment? To a south-southearner, he is a Niger Deltan. The likes of Imo and Abia were only added to distort our Unity.

I didn't mention Ondo state because, Kingsley Kuku(an Ijaw man hails from there) hails from there. Learn how to read English. The likes of Imo and abia were added even just recently by the abasanjo administration. So guy learn how to comprehend very well, because I made it obvious why the likes of Imo and Abia made the list..

Without Oil abia and Imo is far from what we call Niger Delta. Get that into your head.
Stop spitting...Jeez.

15 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Nobody: 6:58pm On Apr 12, 2017
Just take a look at the dumb,, stupid IPOB logic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

So Google that gave the map of the Niger delta are stupid right... Don't Spit at me...Spit at google.

10 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by UcheCokoro: 6:59pm On Apr 12, 2017
The guy is a bastard for speaking bad about Biafra

8 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Mekus68: 7:01pm On Apr 12, 2017
This one is lost in the wilderness of the Zoogeria

10 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

Look at Igbo land its even in the so called Niger delta..Remove it and the Niger delta is divided into two.

6 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by weyab: 7:05pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:
what is Biafra self
Biafra, officially the Republic of Biafra, was a secessionist state in eastern Nigeria that existed from 30 May 1967 to January 1970. It took its name from the Bight of Biafra, the Atlantic bay to its south. Wikipedia

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Pavore9: 7:06pm On Apr 12, 2017
Lecture British High commissioner on international law! cheesy
Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Pharaoh9(m): 7:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

What unified the six States?

6 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by ElsonMorali: 7:21pm On Apr 12, 2017
So where did they lecture the British high commissioner?

Or do they think he frequents Nairaland?

1 Like

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by DocHMD: 7:23pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

Good a thing you said 'To you Imo and Abia are not consequential'. But Demography and Geography says they are.

Your views are inconsequential, if you drop dead today and start decaying , they'll still be there. You see how inconsequential you are? grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Politicalapathy: 7:24pm On Apr 12, 2017
Birds of the same feather...
Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by DocHMD: 7:32pm On Apr 12, 2017
Now to the thread proper. Isn't it senseless that zombigerians will hail Civilized Britain the founder of their zoo when they (British) organize a referendum to allow nationalities like the Scots decide to leave if they want but turn around to scream 'Kill him' when a Biafran ask for the same referendum as it is done in civilized climes.

Here in this country you'll see buffoons speaking big grammar in attempt to impress you, while the truth is that San Bushman in the Jungles of Southern Africa has more civility than him and his 5th generation will ever have.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by cheruv: 8:44pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

Nigerians and dumbness are like five and six. If its the Bible the question would be what communion has God with Mammon
What relationship has an Edo with Mmoŋo What relationship has Rukwo with Ogoja??
SMH undecided

6 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by GenBloodykiIler: 8:46pm On Apr 12, 2017
[s]
Afriifa:

[/s]
what's this one saying?

6 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Afriifa(m): 8:50pm On Apr 12, 2017
cheruv:

Nigerians and dumbness are like five and six. If its the Bible the question would be what communion has God with Mammon
What relationship has an Edo with Mmoŋo What relationship has Rukwo with Ogoja??
SMH undecided
see how foolish you think? Can't I have my own opinion again? Do you guys even understand English language at all?
Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Allsouls: 8:54pm On Apr 12, 2017
That idiot called British high commissioner don't know what his saying because British lawyers are majority of the lawyers that drafted UN charter of self determination which were following

They grant referendum for Scottish people why didn't he say that he will not recognize them?, his people voted against EU why did he say that the vote did count.

His didn't know what his saying.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Pharaoh9(m): 9:49pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

Why is Edo part of ND and Abia is not?

1 Like

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 10:48pm On Apr 12, 2017
DocHMD:
Now to the thread proper. Isn't it senseless that zombigerians will hail Civilized Britain their founder of their zoo when they (British) organize a referendum to allow nationalities like the Scots decide to leave if they want but turn around to scream 'Kill him' when a Biafran ask for the same referendum as its done in civilized.

Here in this country you'll see buffoons speaking big grammar in attempt to impress you, while the truth him a San Bushman in the Jungles of Southern Africa has more civility than him and his 5th generation will ever have.

Please are you writing in english or some other language ?
Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 10:50pm On Apr 12, 2017
[url][/url]o
Allsouls:
That idiot called British high commissioner don't know what his saying because British lawyers are majority of the lawyers that drafted UN charter of self determination which were following

They grant referendum for Scottish people why didn't he say that he will not recognize them?, his people voted against EU why did he say that the vote did count.

His didn't know what his saying.

Obituary of english language a la Ipob. Rip.
Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Ojiofor: 11:32pm On Apr 12, 2017
Afriifa:

See logic,you didn't mention Ondo because Kingsley Kuku an Ijaw man is from there but you have forgotten that Pat Okedinachi Utomi is from Delta State and Chibuike Amaechi another Igbo man from Rivers state and you still believe Igbo nation have no stake in your imaginary Niger Delta.Kwantinue to deceive yourself.

7 Likes

Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Afriifa(m): 12:00am On Apr 13, 2017
Ojiofor:

See logic,you didn't mention Ondo because Kingsley Kuku an Ijaw man is from there but you have forgotten that Pat Okedinachi Utomi is from Delta State and Chibuike Amaechi another Igbo man from Rivers state and you still believe Igbo nation have no stake in your imaginary Niger Delta.Kwantinue to deceive yourself.
lol You think ameachi is Igbo and pat utomi is igbo? Let me laugh till I fall
Re: IPOB Lectures British High Commissioner On International Law by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 13, 2017
Afriifa:
lol You think ameachi is Igbo and pat utomi is igbo? Let me laugh till I fall
No they are Yoruba...Can't you see adebowale Ameachi and Bola utomi...Dumb ass

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Presidential Advanced Team Of PMB Just Landing / Worst Governor Of The Year / Breaking: Senator Stella Oduah Decamps To APGA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.