Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,495 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise (5886 Views)

Is There Any Risk In Asking For A Raise In Salary? / Man Shares How A Restaurant Cashier Who He Usually Tip Called To Ask For N200k / Shortages Have Destroyed My Job As A Barman! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by cyndyzuriks(f): 8:57am On Apr 15, 2017
Philip got a job offer to work for another company. While trying to resign, his boss made him a new offer because he was an asset the company could not afford to loose. The salary and benefits were, of course, higher than what he was supposed to earn at the new company, so he accepted it and stayed. Mary, another employee of the same company who has waited for so long to get a promotion got a hint of what Philip had done. She decided to toe the same line but the difference was that she did not have a job offer from any other company. Unfortunately for her, the resignation letter was accepted and she lost her job.

Using another job offer as a bargaining chip as tempting as it is, often ends badly. It is not advisable to intentionally use a counter job offer as a negotiating tool especially when you actually do not have another offer.

If you feel you are being underpaid and need a raise, discuss this with your boss, and if you feel you need another job then go for one. However, If you find yourself face to face with a counter job offer from your employer, think it through before making a decision.

Consider the following factors first:

Reason for Leaving

Ask yourself these questions. What was your reason for leaving in the first place? Was it because you no longer like it there and need a new job? Because you didn’t get a promotion/raise yet? Or are you simply using the other job offer as a bargaining chip? Your answers to these questions will help you make a decision.

Delayed Recognition

If you are worth this increased salary and promotion, why weren’t you recognized before you handed in your notice? This is another question you should ask yourself. Finding out the reason behind this is very important in your decision-making process so as not to fall into any pitfall.

The Consequences

If you turn down a counteroffer and leave, the only consequence you’ll face for doing that is the challenge of starting and adapting to a new job. But if you accept to stay, you may face one or all of the following.

1. Broken trust – The trust that existed between you and your employer will be weakened and because your loyalty is questioned, your every absence from work will be suspicious.
2. Some of the reasons a company will want to keep you after handing in your resignation are – Your skills are really appreciated and needed, they are trying to keep you until they find a replacement, it will cost them more to recruit a newly qualified candidate to replace you, the timing of your exit will affect performance of your team, etc. If the reason they are trying to keep you is negative, you can be sure that once the crisis is under control and everything is back in place, your continuous stay at the company will be highly threatened.
3. If word gets out that you were given a raise or promotion because you wanted to resign, your colleagues may become resentful and want to do same.
4. Your manager could be afraid that his competence as a leader will now be in question, because of your actions and he could take it out on you.

Lost Prospect

If you end up accepting the offer made by your company, the other company might not want to consider you in the future should you try again. If this is a company you’d like to work with, you might be shutting a door you’d rather keep open.

The decision to stay or leave is entirely up to you! But if you decide to stay, prepare yourself for any situation that may arise.

[i]Careerhubafrica blog[/i]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by sistar007(m): 9:09am On Apr 15, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by Dereformer(m): 9:32am On Apr 15, 2017
my advice is once you tender your resignation, don't go back no matter the promise.

When I resigned from my former company, the chairman called me for negotiations.

I told him point blank there is no need negotiating with one who already out, and that he should negotiate with those who are still in the system.

8 Likes

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by yanabasee(m): 10:03am On Apr 15, 2017
Noted..... will practice this when God finally gives me a job!!!!

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by cyndyzuriks(f): 10:02am On Apr 17, 2017
sistar007:
Nice
thanks
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by sistar007(m): 7:56pm On Apr 17, 2017
cyndyzuriks:

thanks

Welcome dear
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by Nobody: 7:29am On Apr 18, 2017
In Nigeria is there any job in the first place talkless of having a spare job to use as a bargaining chip

4 Likes

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by mikeycharles(m): 7:31am On Apr 18, 2017
Very educative unlike those BBN posts (no offense)

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by Mopolchi: 7:31am On Apr 18, 2017
cool
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by austinbrown: 7:32am On Apr 18, 2017
No time to read any shit, I no come get job sef, unemployment Don kill me

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by nobsalis: 7:33am On Apr 18, 2017
I don't even have a job self talkmore of resigning....!

I'm so damn tired of job hunting, pls any Nairalander wit available job should alert me pls.
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by heykims(m): 7:33am On Apr 18, 2017
Mary was just foolish, that's all.

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by kings09(m): 7:37am On Apr 18, 2017
Ok
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by mubarak001(m): 7:42am On Apr 18, 2017
op makes a lot of sense...God knows am patiently working on this game.

just waiting to use my knight to slay the queen after using my bishop/rook to block escape route

2 Likes

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by shellworker: 7:45am On Apr 18, 2017
Interesting write up. Kudos OP.

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by Flintstone06(m): 8:19am On Apr 18, 2017
nobsalis:
I don't even have a job self talkmore of resigning....!

I'm so damn tired of job hunting, pls any Nairalander wit available job should alert me pls.

Pm me if your qualifications is at most of the ND. Thanks. Job available for ssce and ond/hnd
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by cyndyzuriks(f): 8:24am On Apr 18, 2017
Even as jobs are scarce, there are still people receiving more than one job offer. In fact, there are some people who don't even look for jobs, instead, jobs find them. It's just different strokes for different folks.

4 Likes

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by schumastic(m): 8:25am On Apr 18, 2017
cool, will keep this in mind cus I will need it soon

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by fufuNegusi(m): 9:13am On Apr 18, 2017
Hmmm

I am particularly in this same situation right now
This just strengthened my resolve not to stay

Am looking forward to a better challenge and new beginning

We need to know when is the RIGHT time to move on
And when you do, dont look back

2 Likes

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by lonelydora: 9:18am On Apr 18, 2017
Op, what did the law say about payoff when one resigns? How many months maximum for the company to pay someone who resigned?
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by lonelydora: 9:25am On Apr 18, 2017
fufuNegusi:
Hmmm

I am particularly in this same situation right now
This just strengthened my resolve not to stay

Am looking forward to a better challenge and new beginning

We need to know when is the RIGHT time to move on
And when you do, dont look back

Same with me bro. I'm handing in my letter in less than one month from now. The office politics is now too much to bear.
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by lonelydora: 9:29am On Apr 18, 2017
Dereformer:
my advice is once you tender your resignation, don't go back no matter the promise.

When I resigned from my former company, the chairman called me for negotiations.

I told him point blank there is no need negotiating with one who already out, and that he should negotiate with those who are still in the system.

It baffles me. In mine, one you drop letter, that's when they remember to negotiate. Why wait till then?
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by beyondwalls: 9:34am On Apr 18, 2017
In all these, a cardinal truth is NOT TO BURN BRIDGES

My time comes soonest.....yagggaa
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by fufuNegusi(m): 9:55am On Apr 18, 2017
lonelydora:

Same with me bro. I'm handing in my letter in less than one month from now. The office politics is now too much to bear.

It is well broda
God will see us through

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by nobsalis: 9:59am On Apr 18, 2017
Flintstone06:

Pm me if your qualifications is at most of the ND. Thanks. Job available for ssce and ond/hnd
i only got Bsc....! So no show for me?
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by cyndyzuriks(f): 10:05am On Apr 18, 2017
lonelydora:
Op, what did the law say about payoff when one resigns? How many months maximum for the company to pay someone who resigned?

Payment after resignation usually depends on type of contract you have with your company, how long you have worked there and sometimes your level. However, entitlements after resignation usually include the following:

1. Outstanding wages for hours they have worked, including penalty rates and allowances
2. Any accumulated annual leave
3. other benefits enshrined in your contract

There is no stipulated time for these payments to be made after you resign. This depends on the company.

1 Like

Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by lonelydora: 2:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
[img][/img]
cyndyzuriks:

Payment after resignation usually depends on type of contract you have with your company, how long you have worked there and sometimes your level. However, entitlements after resignation usually include the following:

1. Outstanding wages for hours they have worked, including penalty rates and allowances
2. Any accumulated annual leave
3. other benefits enshrined in your contract

There is no stipulated time for these payments to be made after you resign. This depends on the company.

Someone said the laws States that it should be within 3 months you resigned. Some companies don't pay till after 6 months
Re: Read This First Before Using A Counter Job As Leverage To Ask For A Raise by bravesoul247(m): 11:57pm On Apr 18, 2017
Getting a job these days seem like a very mountain to climb. Submitted cvs, applications etc yet no show but I've gat experience ooo, still don't know what's wrong.

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of Being A Red Cross Member / Acca P3, P4 & P5 Lsbf Video Lecture For June 2013 / It Certifications Or Degree - Which Way To Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.