Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,754 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) - Agriculture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (121175 Views)

My Pepper/vegetable Farm As A Jobless Graduate / Pls Help!! ! Cockroach Is Eating Up My Vegetable Plants / Ikorodu Vegetable Farm Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by otarunero2015(m): 5:40pm On Jun 13, 2018
jidestroud:

Good one, can't wait to get a glimpse.

This is the picture but how do I separate male from female, saw a post you made abou it

Didn’t understand it tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 6:55pm On Jun 17, 2018
Latest Update

Can't wait to see the outcome.

*if you know, you know*

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:03pm On Jun 17, 2018
otarunero2015:

This is the picture but how do I separate male from female, saw a post you made abou it

Didn’t understand it tho

You don't have to worry about that for now. Honestly, I must commend your achievements here. I would really want to do a follow up on your sacked fluted pumpkin as a control experiment. The root system of fluted pumpkin as always been a deterrent factor for me not to want to engage in such. Kudos

Sorry for the late response cool
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 7:12pm On Jun 17, 2018
jidestroud:
Latest Update
Can't wait to see the outcome.
*if you know, you know*
Green house ir your tent at the farm?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by otarunero2015(m): 2:52pm On Jun 18, 2018
jidestroud:

You don't have to worry about that for now. Honestly, I must commend your achievements here. I would really want to do a follow up on your sacked fluted pumpkin as a control experiment. The root system of fluted pumpkin as always been a deterrent factor for me not to want to engage in such. Kudos

Sorry for the late response cool

Ah keep you posted
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:09pm On Jun 20, 2018
More updates on the Tomato plants

The tomato plants are doing beautifully well. Growth is rapid and steady. The season is one filled with diseases so I mustn't let my guards down now matter water. I have been spraying my neem mixture plus supergrow solution weekly to avoid any outbreaks.

I should be replanting in bigger poly bags this weekend to give room for better root formation before the final transplanting into the ridges prepared for them.

Pictures below

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Onedolar: 9:53pm On Jun 21, 2018
Well. Thank You very much Op.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:47am On Jun 22, 2018
Onedolar:
Well. Thank You very much Op.

Most welcomed.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by bimbax: 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
Welldone Mr. Jidestroud.

I've bn keenly following this very thread for a while, and I must confess, you are an inspiration source to many.

I intent to give the FLUTED PUMPKIN a shot.

Please how do I get the seeds.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 4:28pm On Jun 24, 2018
bimbax:
Welldone Mr. Jidestroud.

I've bn keenly following this very thread for a while, and I must confess, you are an inspiration source to many.

I intent to give the FLUTED PUMPKIN a shot.

Please how do I get the seeds.

Thanks.

On getting good seeds for planting? It all depends on location. But I can bet you can get a few seeds in any major markets around your area if you did ask people around. Though the viability of the seed is another. But if are just trying out your hands on a few, that should do.

Thanks once again.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by bimbax: 6:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
Alright!

I'm actuality in Minna. I'm just concerned about variety and the overall viability as you said.

I'll get some from the Open market then.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by bimbax: 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2018
jidestroud:

Thanks.

On getting good seeds for planting? It all depends on location. But I can bet you can get a few seeds in any major markets around your area if you did ask people around. Though the viability of the seed is another. But if are just trying out your hands on a few, that should do.

Thanks once again.

YOU ARE WELCOME BRO.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:17am On Jun 25, 2018
Tomato Update

The rains have done quite a number on my tomato plants but good news, I lost none. My plants are doing just fine and well. I guess practice makes perfect after all.

I moved the tomato plants into the soil last week Wednesday except for those I intend planting in sacks (been so lazy filling up the sacks with sand).

Procedures taken to achieving transplant success
1. Making of high ridges. (This was done because of the rains.)

2. Spacing used was 3feet apart. (The Roma dey grande is known to be plant that grows to a height of 8 to 10 ft. Wouldn't want overcrowding)

3. When removing from the cups, try as much as possible not to break any of the roots.

4. Insert about 2inches of the stem into the ground. (This promotes good root formation and firmness). You will have to break off some lower leaves to achieve this.

5. Spray your neem mixture solution immediately. (The real battle starts now) grin

Pictures.
a. Good root formed and perfectly removed.
b. 2 inches into the ground. Lower leaves removed.
c. The plant.
d. In rolls

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 7:30am On Jun 25, 2018
Tomato bumps or roots on stems (Root initials)

A few of my plants left in their cups started developing bumps and roots on their stem. This signifies a lot and in most cases are not as serious as it looks if you can tell what the problem is. In this can of mine, the relative torrential rainfall caused it and the cups I planted the tomato in haven't been draining out as excepted leading to the picture below.

How do you prevent bumps on tomato stems?
1. Plant tomatoes in well-drained soil
2. Don’t over-water

Bumps on tomato stems can indicate other problems.

Occasionally, root initials can be a sign of other problems, so keep a close check on your plants. Look for signs of – wilting (can indicate fusarium wilt or verticillium wilt)

browning leaves (can indicate root damage)

stunted growth (can indicate root damage)

top plant yellowing, black streaks on stem (can indicate pith necrosis)

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by stiles009(m): 8:55am On Jun 26, 2018
boss jidestroud

thanks for sharing from ur wealth of knowledge.
I'm on the verge of starting my own farm, and would love your advice on one or two things. i would be glad if i could get ur mobile contact. mine is 08101664680. thank you.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:08am On Jul 07, 2018
Update on the garden

So far, it's been more of shuffling between the farm project, work and my garden. Everything seems to be going on smoothly. Did harvest sweet corn from my garden and gave almost all out to friends and neighbours. It was quite a bountiful harvest.

On the tomatoes
The rains have been frequent for some days now but, thanks to the raised ridges, I have been able to make tremendous progress with the tomato plants. The spraying of neem mixture coupled with baking soda is been done every 5days (cause of the rains).

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 9:13am On Jul 07, 2018
stiles009:
boss jidestroud

thanks for sharing from ur wealth of knowledge.
I'm on the verge of starting my own farm, and would love your advice on one or two things. i would be glad if i could get ur mobile contact. mine is 08101664680. thank you.

Will send a mail across. Sorry for the late response.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Yhemit(m): 10:26am On Jul 07, 2018
if you need shea butter in large scale, you can message me. Grade A type
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 07, 2018
Great Work You Are Doin In Ur Garden, I Luv People That Do Organic Stuff. God Bless U. Bro I Went For A Farm Visitation What I Saw Them Using I Know We Are In Trouble In This Country,They Told Me That Is How Is Done If You Want To Be A Farmer. I Just Lease Some Land For My Garden And Poultry In That Area Vegetable Use To Grow Around On Is Own (water Leaf,green Leaf,soko)Nobody Is Spraying Anything On Them And They Are All Growing. God Bless U
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by stiles009(m): 1:24pm On Jul 07, 2018
jidestroud:

will be expecting it. thanks.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 2:19pm On Jul 07, 2018
Cloneberg:
Great Work You Are Doin In Ur Garden, I Luv People That Do Organic Stuff. God Bless U. Bro I Went For A Farm Visitation What I Saw Them Using I Know We Are In Trouble In This Country,They Told Me That Is How Is Done If You Want To Be A Farmer. I Just Lease Some Land For My Garden And Poultry In That Area Vegetable Use To Grow Around On Is Own (water Leaf,green Leaf,soko)Nobody Is Spraying Anything On Them And They Are All Growing. God Bless U

Thanks.

Nevertheless, using inorganic means doesn't really spell doom. The real problem is if the safety precautions and procedures are followed eg. Withdrawal periods, dosage and disposal etc. This is the real problem.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 08, 2018
jidestroud:

Thanks.

Nevertheless, using inorganic means doesn't really spell doom. The real problem is if the safety precautions and procedures are followed eg. Withdrawal periods, dosage and disposal etc. This is the real problem.
Most Of Them Don't Know They Told Me That Is What I Need If I Want To Be Successful As A Farmer Anyway I Will Update U With Pic Of My Garden, Right Now I Just Prepare The Beds And Planting My Nursery God Bless U Thanks For The Good Works
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by oyetpel(m): 6:08am On Jul 08, 2018
Cloneberg:
Most Of Them Don't Know They Told Me That Is What I Need If I Want To Be Successful As A Farmer Anyway I Will Update U With Pic Of My Garden, Right Now I Just Prepare The Beds And Planting My Nursery God Bless U Thanks For The Good Works

Of course you will need fertilizer if you want to become a successful farmer, the whites that invented it are not inconsiderate people, with all there money why didn't they go for organic?? Infact fertilizer can be said to be organic, because it's gotten from hydrocarbons.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 08, 2018
oyetpel:

Of course you will need fertilizer if you want to become a successful farmer, the whites that invented it are not inconsiderate people, with all there money why didn't they go for organic?? Infact fertilizer can be said to be organic, because it's gotten from hydrocarbons.
Well Said U Guys Are The Expert Here, Am Learning Form You Guys. But I Perfer The Other Way Organic. Inorganic Fertilizer Was Made After World War 2 From Chemicals And Bombs So Did Insecticide Came After, You Can Check It Out Even The White Men Know Better Now!. What Am Trying To Say Is This The Places I Went Majority Don't Seems To Know The Reason For It Use And The Effect It's Will Put To The Plant When It Going To Our Body Not The Plant Growt Alone
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by stiles009(m): 10:52pm On Jul 08, 2018
jidestroud:

bro, i waited and waited to no avail. something must be wrong with my nairaland mail. would you mind shooting to my mail (stilesaderoju@gmail.com) instead. thanks sir.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by funsoul: 11:23am On Jul 10, 2018
jidestroud:
More Updates: Cabbage Harvest

I failed to heed my very own advice: "Never stay away from your garden/farm for more than 24hrs, everything could go wrong". Sad one for me.
Traveled to the federal capital to celebrate the Salah with friends of the Muslim faith on thursday, got back yesterday monday. Every other plants (tomato, fluted pumpkin, green vegetable, lagos spinach, basil and the newly planted lemon grass) where in good shape except the cabbage. The snails and slugs did prevail at last. Was able to harvest about 4 heads, lost 6. Lesson learnt.

Nevertheless, it was a success story. F1 Victory Cabbage is sure a good one to go!!!! Off to try out another specie.
Am interested in planting cabbages and have some questions
Which varieties have u plante, how long did it take from nursery to harvest and average weight?
Did you find a solution to snails and slug infestation?
Did u add fertilizer to d soil in d nursery bags?
Apart from chicken manure did you use any other fertilizer after transplanting?
Have you ever planted cabbages in sacks? If yes how many in a sack?
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 10:02am On Jul 19, 2018
Good News

My tomato plants have started fruiting with lots of flowers. This has been by far the most successful tomato sets I have recorded despite having little time because of my farm project.

The rains have been much but all thanks to the raised heaps I planted them on, it ain't much of a problem. Though I have been spraying them with a 5days interval window.

Later in the day, I will be preparing Moringa solution to compliment my neem solution.

Attached Pictures:
Will be clearing the weeds out. Its been a long busy work on the main farm, I always remember to come back to my first love, where it all started. grin

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 1:57pm On Jul 22, 2018
Experimental Update- Between Moringa leaves pesticides/fungicides, Neem leaves/seeds pesticides/fungicides and a mixture of both

Happy Sunday folks,

Okay, today I need to do some research work in my garden using my tomato plants as the test subject. This is certainly of no relevance to academic research work but, for me to see the outcome and be happy with my self (and ofcos, be informed).

I got about the same quantity of the leaves (I was unable to weigh the leaves)i.e moringa and Dongoyaro leaves. This time around I made use of my blender to get a perfect blend since I didn't want to boil the leaves (that would be another research for me) separately.
After blending, got them sieved out into separate containers. Pour about 1litre of the solution into my 2.5litre spray bottle and sprayed. 2 plants for the moringa solution spray, 2 plants for the Neem solution spray and 1 for the mixture of both the Moringa and Neem solution.
This will be done every 2days for 2weeks.

Note: I used the blended residue as mulch too.

It's time to wait and enjoy the show!!!

1 Like

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by kunleweb: 6:48pm On Jul 24, 2018
jidestroud:
Hi all,
After much reviews and 2 years of researching; from blogs, youtube videos, publications in journals, and farm visitations etc. I intend to start my very own garden (vegetable garden) from scratch. So much has been said about agricultural revolution in Nigeria and under the present administration, so I intend finding out how profitable it would be.
Please I welcome you all to my World. Let's explore together.

*Note: Help from experienced vegetable farmers would be greatly appreciated.

Can i have your contact please? I like us to discuss a few things.

Thanks
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 8:31pm On Jul 27, 2018
Quick Update

It's about time i dealt with this nightmare of mine; CUCUMBERS angry . This remains the only thing I haven't been successful at in my garden and I intend to break that jinx NOW.

Earlier today, i went visiting some farmers along LASU Iyana-Iba to under study vegetable production on a large scale and how it is been done, I decided to drop in on one of the agro-section to buy some seeds for my garden. I decided to try my hands on cucumber once more. Hoping and praying I succeed this time around.

Seeds gotten:
1. Pepper Tatase (100 naira worth)
2. Pepper Rodo (100 naira worth)
3. Cucumber Marketer (N700)
4. Maize N3000 worth. (This goes to the 1 hectare farm at Itekun I just acquired - intercropping with Cassava)

More updates loading

2 Likes

Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by Munzy14(m): 11:55am On Jul 28, 2018
jidestroud:
Quick Update

It's about time i dealt with this nightmare of mine; CUCUMBERS angry . This remains the only thing I haven't been successful at in my garden and I intend to break that jinx NOW.

Earlier today, i went visiting some farmers along LASU Iyana-Iba to under study vegetable production on a large scale and how it is been done, I decided to drop in on one of the agro-section to buy some seeds for my garden. I decided to try my hands on cucumber once more. Hoping and praying I succeed this time around.

Seeds gotten:
1. Pepper Tatase (100 naira worth)
2. Pepper Rodo (100 naira worth)
3. Cucumber Marketer (N700)
4. Maize N3000 worth. (This goes to the 1 hectare farm at Itekun I just acquired - intercropping with Cassava)

More updates loading
nice work!.
Just wondering why the very easy one (Cucumber ), happens to be the one giving you headache. I have been on a freestyle with Cucumber. but i advice make sure you have ur naturally way of tackling fungi ready.
I am actually interested in your tomato update. I look forward to kick start one from August.
Re: Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) by jidestroud(m): 4:45pm On Jul 29, 2018
My Garden latest addition

- Cucumber (Makerter)
- Pepper (Rodo)
- Pepper (Tatase)

- Cucumber

With so much going on right now, i still have to find time for my beautiful garden. This certainly will be my last short at cucumber and I ain't even planing to sack it. I will be planting directly and made all preparations down.

Land preparation:
1. Breaking loose the soil. Went as deep as 2feet in tillage.
2. Making of small beds. Three in numbers.
3. Adding of dried pig manure.
4. Tilled in the manure before making the final beds again.
5. Watered the bed.

The watering will continue for 2days. I should planting on Tuesday evening.

God willing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond) / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.