Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,482 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Re: Controversy Of The Word "UNSERIOUS" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Re: Controversy Of The Word "UNSERIOUS" (474 Views)

IPPIS: ASUU To Meet NASS Leaders In Fight Against Payroll System Controversy / Hijab Controversy: UI School Board Retains Dress Code / Ignore Notice To Shave Beards - BSU Management Reacts To Beards Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Controversy Of The Word "UNSERIOUS" by Toyin001: 10:17am On Apr 15, 2017
ElRapid, ikp120, Mortiple, fadjnr, jericco1, preetymee, abbeyty, oglalasioux, buccal and etc responded to this thread.

The thread: https://www.nairaland.com/3742510/hello-nigerians-word-doesnt-exist explains that the word "unserious" doesn't exist and I saw quite some comments under it. I haven't been able to respond to it as the thread has been closed.

HERE IS A RESPONSE TO ALL THE COMMENTS AND TO CLARIFY WHETHER IT'S MISLEADING OR NOT!

I ain't high, it's only stupidity and ill-manners that will make you say such! Right, some dictionaries have it, just confirmed that now.

However, what word is that that isn't in all dictionaries Not that it's a new word or something. Microsoft's spelling checker doesn't have it, the updated versions Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and other browser's spelling checker do not have it, Android phones auto-correct, Encarta Dictionaries and all do not have the word! Even MACMILLAN Engllish Dictionary doesn't have the word, LONGMAN dictionary doesn't have it either, and lots more dictionaries.

Was the word discovered recently according to Collins Dictionary that you said have

Perhaps it was discovered last year so other dictionaries haven't be able to update it

Well, just felt like sharing it, it's not new to see ill-mannered fellows on NL, so a good clap for yourselves.

You must be the ones high on weed or whatever cos someone in his right faculties knows that the OP was in his right senses while posting this ::: https://www.nairaland.com/3742510/hello-nigerians-word-doesnt-exist

And for you that you said I am showcasing my newly found word, get a life, some things are definitely wrong with you.

Mcowubaba, you stated a good point but mind you, the white man has to set the standards for English has English is their language not ours.

Faithogiga, thank you a lot. You fall in the few reasonable people on NL.

Bola4dprec, thanks for the screenshot and for keeping mute, my assertions above have answered you though.

SollexBarry, you're welcomed!

For you guys that know too much, you can check this forum where people with English brains responded to the word that Collins Dictionary said exists: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/unserious-un-serious-non-serious.2321598/

I urge Nairalanders and including the ADMINS to apply more manners, the thread was closed by the admin but has the word been properly confirmed

And to other ill-mannered comments, my assertions are very clear and you can check the dictionaries I mentioned above, check more, you won't find the word!

There is wisdom nut from a senior respondent in this forum I shared: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/unserious-un-serious-non-serious.2321598/ which is this: Best rule: If you're not sure, don't make it up. Don't say "X is unserious"; say X is not serious.

Asides the alternatively I proffered in the initial post which are "flippant" "flippancy" and "flippantly," from the forum, I was able to get "frivolous," "frivolousness," and "frivolously" as other appropriate words that can be used in place of "unserious" "unseriousness" and "unseriously"

Thanks for reading and hope this thread isn't closed again!

1 Like

Re: Re: Controversy Of The Word "UNSERIOUS" by Toyin001: 1:25pm On Apr 18, 2017
ElRapid, buccal, fadjnr, jericco01, oglalasioux, abbeyty, ikp120, Mortiple, preetymee, you were all mentioned in this thread. Why did you stay away?
Re: Re: Controversy Of The Word "UNSERIOUS" by abbeyty(m): 2:08pm On Apr 18, 2017
Toyin001:
ElRapid, buccal, fadjnr, jericco01, oglalasioux, abbeyty, ikp120, Mortiple, preetymee, you were all mentioned in this thread. Why did you stay away?

wetin concern me go and tell the queen of England that the word unserious does not exist.
Re: Re: Controversy Of The Word "UNSERIOUS" by Mortiple(m): 2:20pm On Apr 18, 2017
As much as I sympathize with you for being heartbroken after a failed attempt to mislead the entire Nairaland forum, I would like you to swallow your pride and put the matter to bed. Dusting up the thread over and over again will not make you right. You were simply wrong at first.

... and please don't call me out again over this matter.

1 Like

Re: Re: Controversy Of The Word "UNSERIOUS" by Toyin001: 3:21pm On Apr 18, 2017
Mortiple:
As much as I sympathize with you for being heartbroken after a failed attempt to mislead the entire Nairaland forum, I would like you to swallow your pride and put the matter to bed. Dusting up the thread over and over again will not make you right. You were simply wrong at first.

... and please don't call me out again over this matter.

Lol. The greatest level of cowardice is to stay away from the truth. It's useless arguments that force opinions blindly. I make my assertions, you make yours, then the truth is found out, that's a very simple way to make sense in this world. I ain't misleading anyone, over 3500 people viewed the initial post, I'm strongly convinced that over 1000 have learnt something. I do not blame people like you and the rest, I blame the mods who couldn't find out well before closing the thread. If it had seen a larger audience, I believe someone would've been wise enough to put up a sensible and salient point. SELAH

(1) (Reply)

Latest Info On FSB 2016/2017 / The Heaviest Rain Ever Witnessed In Kontagora In Niger State. / UTME 2017 Candidates Get Database Questions For In Dependence FREE..MAXIMIZE IT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.