Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,539 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? (1075 Views)

Abbo Vs Tinubu: Viral Video Of Tinubu Slapping A Lawmaker Is False (Pics) / 10 Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria: Senate President Performs Last Function / 10 Steps To Recall A Senator In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 12:22pm On Apr 15, 2017
I still do not know the essence of our corruption riddled legislature. The impact of the senate, FHOA, SHOA are not felt. The Nigerian constitution is unclear as to how to go about this. any idea?

cc: tonyebarcanista, sarrki, ishilove, yarimo, qmerit atiku2019, lalasticlala.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:27pm On Apr 15, 2017
Omoluabi16:
I still do not know the essence of our corruption riddled legislature. The impact of the senate, FHOA, SHOA are not felt. The Nigerian constitution is unclear as to how to go about this. any idea?
cc tonyebarcanista, sarrki, ishilove, yarimo, qmerit atiku2019.
You need to gather 1/3 signatures from registered voters in the constituency first, then INEC will organise a referendum.

Bro, forget it... it is IMPOSSIBLE... WAIT till 2019
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by sarrki(m): 12:31pm On Apr 15, 2017
Omoluabi16:

We should all wait until 2019

We will talk loud
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 12:32pm On Apr 15, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
You need to gather 1/3 signatures from registered voters in the constituency first, then INEC will organise a referendum.

every 4 years na the same story. I no fit sleep for night on top that ikoyi $ matter.Thinking of alternatives else naija no go ever better.
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 12:35pm On Apr 15, 2017
sarrki:

We will talk loud
what makes you think 2019 will be better
?
I just asked if it was possible.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Qmerit(m): 12:58pm On Apr 15, 2017
Omoluabi16:

Each time I remember the annual budget of 2017 was submitted to NASS since Oct/Nov 2016 and still ve not been passed I just know those people there re all rogues...The bitter truth is that many of them re still coming back cause their constituencies would be cajoled and deceived with few money few months to election and stand to be re-elected...so in that case only God we ask to touch their hearts and work to affect the larger masses...

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 1:17pm On Apr 15, 2017
Qmerit:

Each time I remember the annual budget of 2017 was submitted to NASS since Oct/Nov 2016 and still ve not been passed I just know those people there re all rogues...The bitter truth is that many of them re still coming back cause their constituencies would be cajoled and deceived with few money few months to election and stand to be re-elected...so in that case only God we ask to touch their hearts and work to affect the larger masses...
Truly sad.
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by sarrki(m): 1:30pm On Apr 15, 2017
Omoluabi16:
what makes you think 2019 will be better
?
I just asked if it was possible.

It's a continuous process

We won't make the mistakes of 2015 from ward level to federal
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by yarimo(m): 2:30pm On Apr 15, 2017
Constitutionally it's possible, but in reality it's not possible
Omoluabi16:

Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by AK481(m): 7:28pm On Apr 15, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Let's say u gather the signatures,how can you prove it in court that those signatures are from people in the constituency?

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by paulo220(m): 7:36pm On Apr 15, 2017
Is impossible... even to impeach the president is impossible...
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:12pm On Apr 15, 2017
AK481:

Let's say u gather the signatures,how can you prove it in court that those signatures are from people in the constituency?
Welxome to Nigeria
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by obailala(m): 7:16am On Apr 16, 2017
AK481:

You need to get both signatures and PVC numbers; as we speak, some constituentsin northern kaduna are gathering signatures go recall their senator.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/04/11/kaduna-north-senatorial-district-voters-initiate-moves-recall-senator-hunkuyi
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by HAH: 7:25am On Apr 16, 2017
What makes it very impossible is high presence of fake names in the voter register, remember even inec could only give out about 50% of pvc to registered voters, , the law says 1/3 regustered voter not those with pvc.

The law of recall should have been 50%+1 of votes you got can trigger a recall
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by AK481(m): 10:35am On Apr 16, 2017
obailala:
You need to get both signatures and PVC numbers; as we speak, some constituentsin northern kaduna are gathering signatures go recall their senator.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/04/11/kaduna-north-senatorial-district-voters-initiate-moves-recall-senator-hunkuyi
That still can't prove u didn't forge all,some,one or two of all the signatures.

How do u tell the defendant lawyer(SAN) that they are all authentic.....all of them.
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by obailala(m): 12:16pm On Apr 16, 2017
AK481:

That still can't prove u didn't forge all,some,one or two of all the signatures.

How do u tell the defendant lawyer(SAN) that they are all authentic.....all of them.
All over the world in situations were signatures are used, there's no supernatural way in which the signatures can be confirmed. But if the recalled senator thinks the signatures and PVC numbers are fake, it's up to him to go to court to prove they are fake.
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 9:19am On May 13, 2017
lalasticlala wink
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 3:48pm On Jun 21, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

obailala:
All over the world in situations were signatures are used, there's no supernatural way in which the signatures can be confirmed. But if the recalled senator thinks the signatures and PVC numbers are fake, it's up to him to go to court to prove they are fake.
AK481:

HAH:
What makes it very impossible is high presence of fake names in the voter register, remember even inec could only give out about 50% of pvc to registered voters, , the law says 1/3 regustered voter not those with pvc.

The law of recall should have been 50%+1 of votes you got can trigger a recall
paulo220:
Is impossible... even to impeach the president is impossible...
sarrki:

We will talk loud
I remember putting up this thread, Now history is about to be made! Dino melaye is being recalled.
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by obailala(m): 9:53pm On Jun 21, 2017
Omoluabi16:
I remember putting up this thread, Now history is about to be made! Dino melaye is being recalled.
On this particular issue, I still remain a 'doubting Thomas,' Nigeria's democracy certainly isn't mature enough for this kind of thing to be done. Until I see it happen, I don't believe it is possible for a senator or Representative to be recalled.
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by deji68: 9:56pm On Jun 21, 2017
Well if u look at the process involved it is "nearly" impossible to recall a senator...... just a waste of time and money cool

section 69 of the 1999 Constitution give 10 clear steps to take before a Senator can be recalled from the Senate.
The steps are:
More than half of the registered voters in the Senator’s senatorial district write, sign and send a petition to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC alleging their loss of confidence in the senatorial
The petition must be signed, and arranged according to polling units, wards, Local Government Areas, and constituency.
INEC notifies the Senator sought to be recalled, stating that it has received a petition for his or her recall, if the petition is valid
INEC issues a public notice or announcement stating the date, time and location of the verification of signatures to the petition
INEC verifies the signatures to the petition at the designation. The signatories must be individuals who appear on the voters’ register.
INEC conducts a referendum if more than one half (50% + 1) of the signatories are verified
INEC writes to the petitioners stating that the minimum requirements for a referendum were not met, if the number verified is less than one half of the registered voters in that constituency. The petition will therefore be dismissed.
INEC conducts a referendum within 90 days of receipt of the petition if the minimum requirements for a referendum are met. The referendum will be a simple yes or no vote on whether the Senator should be recalled, and will be decided by simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that Senator’s constituency.
If majority of the voters in the constituency vote ‘yes’ the Chairman of the INEC will send a Certificate of Recall to the Senate President to effect the recall.
The Senate President will show affected senator the way out of the Senate.
Please tell me how a Senator can therefore be successfully recalled with the above steps.
Culled from Dele Aina wall.
Re: Is It Possible To Recall A Lawmaker In Nigeria? by Omoluabi16(m): 8:59pm On Oct 19, 2020
deji68:
Well if u look at the process involved it is "nearly" impossible to recall a senator...... just a waste of time and money cool

Just saw this. You see that thing called a constitution, we should just use it to wrap akara.

(1) (Reply)

"I Pray APC Is Not Fingering Us(PDP)" - Ex-Plateau Gov., Jonah Jang / “it Is Either Biafra Or Death” – IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Says / Anambra Students Shine In World Schools Debating Championship In Indonesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.