Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,850 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread (13932 Views)

Urban Renewal In Nigeria: Development Of States And Capitals / Picture Of Train Passing Through A Rural Community In Nigeria / On A Road Trip to rural America,come With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by promise72(m): 7:08am On Jul 01, 2007
strawberries? is it big in nigeria? ive heard of that b4 but ppl dont seem to care 2 much 4 strawberries in nigeria. u choosing jos or ibadan when u settle? where do u live presently? i live in calif. since 92. gettn tired tho grin
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 7:17am On Jul 01, 2007
I Live in Burpengary, 30 Minutes from Brisbane in Queensland Australia.

I'll probably build a house in Ibadan, one in Jos and one in Ekiti oh yeah and one in Lagos and one in Abuja, and one in Calabar. wink
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by promise72(m): 7:20am On Jul 01, 2007
i hope ur dream comes tru. putting up a "small" bungalow in ogun state at present. its harder than i thot. ive already blew the budget. im only at rhe foundatn level! expect the unexpected. thats all i'll say. With prayers tho, allis possible
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 7:23am On Jul 01, 2007
I've family's house in Ibadan is almost complete, it consists of Two duplexes.

Ogun state is nice, Great place to build a house.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by TerraCotta(m): 5:25pm On Jul 02, 2007
Cool photos. Some of your shots remind me of this guy's project of photos taken in and around Ibadan: http://www.picturingnigeria.com/

It's been a looong while since I've been in Ibadan, but hopefully I'll touch ground there sometime this year.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by Hero(m): 7:33pm On Jul 02, 2007
Wow, this is a damn shame. While other major cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Abuja, Calabar and even smaller ones like Katsina, Uyo, and  Umuahia have seen good improvement over the past 10 years since I've last visited Nigeria it looks as if Ibadan is still the same ol dump it was way back then. It's a shame that the nations second and third largest cities (Ibadan & Kano) are 2 of the most crappiest looking and seemingly slowest developing in the nation.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by VOR(m): 8:24pm On Jul 02, 2007
Hero:

Wow, this is a damn shame. While other major cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Abuja, Calabar and even smaller ones like Katsina, Uyo, and Umuahia have seen good improvement over the past 10 years since I've last visited Nigeria it looks as if Ibadan is still the same ol dump it was way back then. It's a shame that the nations second and third largest cities (Ibadan & Kano) are 2 of the most crappiest looking and seemingly slowest developing in the nation.

Thank you Hero, so glad to know I am not the only one who
thinks Ibadan looks like one big cesspit. To tell the truth if
I was from Ibadan I would keep it quiet, or at least not brag
about it.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by Hero(m): 10:17pm On Jul 02, 2007
VOR:

Thank you Hero, so glad to know I am not the only one who
thinks Ibadan looks like one big cesspit. To tell the truth if
I was from Ibadan I would keep it quiet, or at least not brag
about it.

Right on VOR. I wonder why is it that they have not implemented any reform programs like other cities in the nation? It still looks like the same ol dust bin, mega shanty town it looked like back in the military ruled period of the nation. As the nation's second most populous city and largest in size, with one of its most prestigious universities--- is should not look like that. It should be to par with Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Enugu in its development. I barely saw any paved roads and 80% of the housing looked like tin shanty shacks, and that same ol crusty office building from the 1970 is ((STILL)) the only descent looking edifice in which sticks up out of that rusty dusty place.

Seeing this, I would have to come to the conclusion of that the Oyo State government is definitely amongst the top 3 most corrupt government bodies in the nation, because after 10 years there is no way in hell that that place should still look that pitiful, being that it (Ibadan) is the nations second largest city. Matter of fact hasn't the Oyo government been under EFCC probe for the past couple of years for mass misuse of funds and other corruption charges?
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by VOR(m): 12:10am On Jul 03, 2007
All of una eulogising the dump that is Ibadan have you not seen the thread on this
board showing pictures of Nairobi? Or the pics of other African cities like Durban, Abidjan,
Abuja even Lagos, Cape Town etc?

You all really need to stop wallowing in your ignorance and mediocrity
and realise what a dump the place is. grin grin grin
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 4:56am On Jul 06, 2007
Ibadan is an ancient city. It is not commercial. It is like saying Damascus is Backwards. Or it's like saying why isn't Jerusalem like Tel Aviv. The truth is, if you cannot find happiness in Ibadan, then I don't know where you can find it. Ibadan wasn't built to accomodate commerce.

So if you are telling me that you went to Ibadan, and you didn't see much progress etc, youm obvioulsy don't know anything about the city.

Tis the City Built on Seven Hills.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by omoge(f): 6:23pm On Jul 07, 2007
oh my Ibadan, its of thee i sing  grin grin

I love ibadan for real. who will forget that Bodija market, the haggling with the hausa men at bodija market, sabo and Sasa. Dugbe was broken down before I left, remember when you used to go buy christmas things at Dugbe  cheesy cheesy

dblock, am on your side o. Anyone with Agbowo shopping complex pic? I used to like buying stuffs there because i can always go right after class from my Hall  grin
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by promise72(m): 6:27pm On Jul 07, 2007
@ omoge,

whers nillychester?
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by omoge(f): 2:34am On Jul 09, 2007
ummm scratching my head undecided where is Nillychester, good question. still scratching I have to go buy Atlas now
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by Hero(m): 10:52pm On Jul 09, 2007
dblock:

Ibadan is an ancient city. It is not commercial. It is like saying Damascus is Backwards. Or it's like saying why isn't Jerusalem like Tel Aviv. The truth is, if you cannot find happiness in Ibadan, then I don't know where you can find it. Ibadan wasn't built to accomodate commerce.

So if you are telling me that you went to Ibadan, and you didn't see much progress etc, youm obvioulsy don't know anything about the city.

Tis the City Built on Seven Hills.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, save me the drama. The place is a DUMP. Ancientness should be treasured, and one does so by taking care of it and not trashing it. Rome, Paris, Moscow, Cairo, Kyoto, Berlin, London and Bucharest,  just to name a few are also ancient cities and yet you don't see them looking like trash heaps. The problem is that unfortunately Nigerians, actually---- Africans as a whole, don't appreciate and respect their history, and thus allow the remnants of it to go to crap. Benin City is an ancient city with some of the most historical earthen security structures ever advised built around it.

It once stood as the world largest planed city. At the time of the Portuguese arrival it had a population larger than that of London, with an grid layout in which was twice as organized and advanced. Today the ancient formations around the city have been allowed to go to shit and the city as well. The same goes for the ancient city of Kano, and Ife. The ancient ruins of Ijebu-Igbo and Nok. None of this and much more in which is present right their in Nigeria is not catered to and for many, not even known about, and thus allowing the folks to become subdued into the deceptive messages of the outside world--- of that Africa had no significant history prior to the coming of the white man or Arab, when this is far from the truth.

Historical findings right there in Nigeria have proven that civilization has been in formation in Nigeria for nearly 10,000 years, a time period in which goes back further than the start of the Egyptian Civilization. Organized farming began in Nigeria in about 6,000BC, and that's 1,000 years before the Egyptians began such a system and 2,000 years before the the Babylonians.

Iron smelting began in Nigeria at the exact same time that it began in the Caspian region--- formally once noted as the first region to do so, and yet the Nigerian civilizations ingeniously achieved this feat while having skipped a copper age unlike every other civilization in which achieved an ancient Iron age.  So old is the Nigerian history of civilization, it is believed that there could and more than likely is--- millenniums worth of remnants of ancient kingdoms come and gone with time buried underneath its soil waiting to be excavated, yet Nigerians simply don't respect and care about their history enough go about doing so. Too bad, and a damn shame.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 6:52am On Jul 10, 2007
Ahh Shattup. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

I'll insult you first, and then read the your post. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 7:13am On Jul 10, 2007
So you've finally learnt how to read.

Civilizations are built, are civilizations collapse. They don't collapse because some "Nero" stereotype tried to deliberately ruin the city. The destruction of many African cities are attributed to conflict. Many of those conflicts arose after the Arrival of Europeans. The same people that took your Ancestors and dumped them in America. Nigeria was governed by Tyrants, so obviously, there wouldn't be an urgency to preserve the city, that doesn't make the city any less historical, as many parts of the city still remain Untouched.

You speak about Nigeria and Nigerians, as if they are people that have neglected their history, when Nigeria has two World Heritage sites listed. To add to that, Nigeria has not only acknowledge it's flamboyant history, but the Nigerian Government have worked to construct many Tourist facilities to acknowledge it's history. The Nigeria Cultural Centre in Abuja, a Centre that is planned to have Africa's Largest Museum, and initially a Library as well. There is the Olumo Rock Tourist Facility in Ogun State, and in Cross River State their are many developments that have being undertaken to preserve Nigeria's Rainforests.

How in the world can Nigeria Undergo Grandiose Heritage schemes, when for most of history, it has battled Evils like corruption. Until their is stability in Nigeria, the things you speak about are below priority. How can Nigeria be digging up skeletons when 60% of Nigerians live below the poverty line. So save me the drama and get you priorities right.

So before you insult 140 Million people, do more than read a book you found lying on the floor of your local Library.

Nigga you are only angry because Nigerians and other Africans refuse to Acknowledge African Americans as a part of their history. And you feel Lost and Misplaced. tongue tongue

It's not that we don't love you, it's just that we've got so many things to attend to right now. kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 12:06pm On Aug 11, 2007
Hmm Pictures.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 12:07pm On Aug 11, 2007

Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by omoge(f): 3:35pm On Aug 11, 2007
ibadan, ibadan, ibadan, moi ibadan like a golden china in the sun cheesy
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by KnowAll(m): 10:01pm On Aug 14, 2007
ibadan, is the largest indigenous african city in the world, ibadan is not an oyinbo city, it is not planned like most mordern city, that is the uniqueness of the place. it is better for a city to be a proper african city than it to be a shit whole that is pretending to be a mordern city like lagos. ibadan has character, it is like a big village, and i love it.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by igbonla(m): 8:55am On Aug 17, 2007
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by senetee(m): 2:38pm On Aug 17, 2007
Hey there dblock, three gbosas for you, 5 awilo to you joo !!.
Though i am not far away from the IB, but seeing some of those pics just brought back some growing up memories. Men miss driving in that town too, little traffic.

Carry on joo. Any pics on on new buildings on UI secretariat road?
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by Banderas(m): 2:42pm On Aug 17, 2007
Those pictures almost made me cry. May God bless you all for these pics.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by dblock(m): 8:07am On Aug 23, 2007
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by tunnytox(m): 5:24pm On Nov 17, 2009
Born and bred in Ibadan, I really miss Ibadan
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by AKO1(m): 7:26pm On Nov 17, 2009
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by tunnytox(m): 8:12pm On Nov 17, 2009
Thanks AKO, I've not been home now for 3 years, these pictures are refreshing cool
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by DisGuy: 8:56pm On Nov 17, 2009
More pictures please

And please if you can add more tourist attractions and relaxation spots!!
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by tanimz(f): 9:14pm On Nov 19, 2009
Awww, I miss Ibadan so much, but it cant be compared to other cities like ph and lagos.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by buffnaija: 10:15pm On Nov 19, 2009
ibadan is a dump that needs to be rebuilt. all those old houses should be destroyed and modernised.
Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by omobadan(m): 2:45pm On Aug 25, 2010
The old houses and structures should be cherished. Most of the old monuments should be repair and maintain. It's part of the history of the city. I see that Mapo Hall had been done up, which is a good sign. I think hopefully, Ibadan should be able to regain its past glory and become a great city again.

Re: The Official Ibadan Urban, Rural Thread by obalukan: 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2010
Ibadan oooooooooooooo, omo ajegbin je karaun omo afikaraun fori mu ibadan ilu ojo, ily ajayi, ilu ibikunle, ilu ogunmola, olododo keri keri loju ogun, omo agbo sasa ma sa omo agbo yaya maya, ooooooooooooooooo Ibadan Oni baje (Amin) oooooooooo poster thanks for the good job

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

France & Europe: Experience Through The Eyes Of A Nigerian (Photojournal) / How Government Agencies Frustrate Food Export At Nation’s Airport / Anyone Here Living In Malta?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.