Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time (42610 Views)

Top 7 Nigeria Greatest Goalkeepers In History / No Yellow Cards For Goalkeepers That Encroach At The Women's World Cup / Top 7 Greatest BEARDS In Football Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 10:27am On Apr 18, 2017
The older generation who saw some of these players in action would tell you there’s no goalkeeper today that can match the ability of Carl O’Dwyer or Eyo Essien. But today fans may feel Dosun Joseph who helped Nigeria’s dream team win gold medal in 1996 Olympics or Ike Shorunmu who kept Nigeria’s goal post for nearly a decade (2000 -2009), should be among Nigeria’s seven greatest goalkeeper of all time.

It was quite difficult to assess the abilities of some of the goalkeepers, since there was no video coverage for those whose career span in early 50s’ – 70s.’ We had to rely on the verdicts of some ex-footballers such as Joe Erico, Segun Odegbami, Christian Chukwu, Peter Fregene… to make our selections. Let’s see why these lads were regarded by us as Nigeria’s seven greatest goalkeepers of all time.

Sam Ibiam
Sam Ibiam: cut an incredible reputation as the goalkeeper players can’t beat with the ball. He conceded only 9 goals in six years of his career in Nigeria. Started his career with Calabar XI in 1946, Port Harcourt XI in 1949, and won the Governor’s cup with Railway FC, where he starred with Teslim ‘thunder’ Balogun in 1953.

Ibiam became Nigeria’s first international goalkeeper on the trip with UK tourists in 1949. He took over from Isaac Akioye as a reserve goalkeeper and was in goal for Nigeria throughout the tour, except for the first game.

Ibiam also became the first player to venture outside Nigeria when he signed for Accra Great Olympics of Ghana in 1956.

https://cheeronnigeria..com.ng/2013/10/nigerias-seven-greatest-goalkeepers-of.html

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 10:31am On Apr 18, 2017
Inua Lawal Rigogo: The story of Rigogo remains a myth. He is perhaps the greatest goalkeeper Nigeria ever had. Though, many believed that he employed charms with the way he flies from pole to pole and made some incredible somersaults – that can’t be ordinary. Ghana’s President Kwame Nkurmah, once described him as a ‘Flying Cat.’

You dare not score Rigogo! Though. We don’t have records of his club career at ECN, but as a national team goalkeeper, he conceded the least goals – 4 goals over his 8 years career between 1960– 1969.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 10:36am On Apr 18, 2017
3. Peter Fregene: one of the finest goalkeepers Nigeria ever had. His career was like the life of a phoneix that keep rejuvenating and resurfacing to life again.

Fregene is indeed the longest serving goalkeeper, whose career spanned through the 60s’, 70s’ and 80s.’ He became the national team goalkeeper from 1966 – 71 and resurfaced again after 12 years to become the first choice goalkeeper for Green Eagles in 1982.

Fregene was in goal for Nigeria in the 1968 Olympic Games in Mexico and he won FA cup 2 times with ECN and Stationery Stores in the 60s’ and 70s.’

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 10:42am On Apr 18, 2017
4. Emmanuel Okala: The frightening moustache and intimidating goalkeeper of Enugu Rangers. He’s perhaps another player that could pass as Nigeria’s greatest goalkeeper of all times.

With his height and intimidating size, attackers were afraid to approach Okala and often don’t find space to shoot or place the ball to the far end. He’s a true giant who was fondly called “Iroko in the net.”

Okala was in goal for Nigeria and won All African games gold medal in 1973. He was also in the team that won Nigeria’s first nations cup in 1980.

Picture: goalkeeper Emma Okala standing tall at the middle

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 10:48am On Apr 18, 2017
5. Best Ogedengbe: He was perhaps the most skillful goal keeper Nigeria ever had. Just like the great boxing legend, Mohammed Ali, Ogedengbe would boast that no one will score him in a particular match and it will be so.

With the reputation of Emmanuel Okala and to the surprise of fans, Otto Gloria chose Ogedengbe as his first choice goalkeeper ahead of Okala during the 1980 nation’s cup, which Nigeria won.

Ogedengbe was known for taking penalty kicks and he saved a lot for his IICC club side.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 10:55am On Apr 18, 2017
6.Peter Rufai: He was a great goalkeeper and a great team leader. Rufai had a very illustrious football career that started from Stationery Stores to Dragon of Benin. Then, he traveled to Europe to be the goalkeeper of Lokeren, Beveren, GoAhead Eagles, Deportivo la Coruna…

Rufai was always the first choice goalkeeper anytime he was invited to the national team, despite the presence of other equally great goalkeepers like Alloy Agwu, David Ngodigha, and Wilfred Agbonvbare… He always became captain in any team he played for. So he grew to become the captain of Super Eagles.

Rufai won the African nations cup in1994 and became the first Nigeria goalkeeper to play in FIFA World cup in the same year.

102 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 11:00am On Apr 18, 2017
7. Vincent Enyeama: A great goalkeeper in all ramifications. Though he doesn’t cut the myth of Inua Lawal Rigogo or the colossus reputation of Emmanuel Okala, yet Enyeama still pass as Nigeria’s greatest goalkeeper of all times, in terms of his achievements.

Enyeama won CAF Champions league back to back in 2003 and 2004. He won Nigeria premier league twice and the FA Cup. He also won African Cup of nations in 2013 and has been the first choice goalkeeper to 2 FIFA world cup and the confederations Cup.

126 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 11:13am On Apr 18, 2017
so guys who will you consider as the greatest or who will you add to the list

Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01, Icon4s, TheGoodJoe,

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Smellymouth: 11:23am On Apr 18, 2017
Robosky, where is Abiodun Baruwa? cheesy

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 11:46am On Apr 18, 2017
Smellymouth:
Robosky, where is Abiodun Baruwa? cheesy

that man nearly cost us a place at Atlanta 1996

first it was his age and then too many blunders (basket keeper)

thank God joseph Dusu

he should be placed among the worse super eagles keepers grin

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by veekid(m): 12:14pm On Apr 18, 2017
Mehn I gbadun Peter Rufai; I wish we could have his calibre again

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by teelaw4life(m): 12:15pm On Apr 18, 2017
I know Peter Rufai (used to call him keeper rufai).

Ike Shorunmu too

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by VickyRotex(f): 12:15pm On Apr 18, 2017
Peter Rufai and Vincent kiss kiss kiss

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Buharimustgo: 12:16pm On Apr 18, 2017
Vincent Enyama is still outstanding, considering the number of years and his achievements

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by YonkijiSappo: 12:16pm On Apr 18, 2017
Fregene ... lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by femi4: 12:16pm On Apr 18, 2017
Lol....I only saw Rufai and Enyama played.

No mind Baruwa....he was destined to be great right from Sec school (Up IC) until he lost his spot to Dosu in Atlanta 96 and we had to rely on Rufai in France 98 when Baruwa decided to dribble Predrag Mijatovic in a friendly against Yugoslavia towards France 98

Baruwa...Omo Alhaja ......No Baruwa, No Shooting stars grin

24 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by obafemee80(m): 12:16pm On Apr 18, 2017
grin
Peter Rufai-Dodomayana,my favourite Nigerian goal keeper ever

Wilfred Agbonavbare r.i.p-AgboniBasket because we concede to many cheap goals

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 18, 2017
Girls since they don't know shi shi about football will be like.
Why is Ronaldo and messi not on the list na?
I am at my working place comman beat me grin

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 12:17pm On Apr 18, 2017
for the worst keepers

1. abiodun baruwa

2. Chigozie Agbim

and

3. Gref Etafia

D

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by sotadegrt(m): 12:17pm On Apr 18, 2017
noted
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by cominada: 12:17pm On Apr 18, 2017
Enyama!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Omotayor123(f): 12:17pm On Apr 18, 2017
Enyama of our Time.cheesy

I just love the guy cool

He sabi his job wella.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by dragonking3: 12:18pm On Apr 18, 2017
They are all nigerdeltans.

God bless nigerdelta region. cool

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by babyfaceafrica: 12:18pm On Apr 18, 2017
Where is dosu joseph?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by verygudbadguy(m): 12:18pm On Apr 18, 2017
I know Peter Rufai, Dosu Joseph, Aloy Agu, Abiodun Baruwa, Vincent Eyeama.

There is one more guy but i can't remember his name right now; The keeper of our under 20 team.

Modified: Ambruse Vanzekin

I just remembered Ike Sorunmu and Austin Ejide..

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by sniperr007(m): 12:18pm On Apr 18, 2017
Nice Op....
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by saydfact(m): 12:19pm On Apr 18, 2017
robosky02:
so guys who will you consider as the greatest or who will you add to the list

Lets go there….
ItsQuinn, safarigirl, shizzy7, Smellymouth, Mediapace, refiner, suwalee, optional1, vivianblog1, cruzita, klexycole, VickyRotex, blueto, TheSuperNerd, mikron, TonyeBarcanist, Ajibel, honeric01, Icon4s, TheGoodJoe,

I'll go with PETER RUFAI although he didnt leave when the ovation was high; he is a great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Iseoluwani: 12:19pm On Apr 18, 2017
I will go for obasanjo grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Oluwasaeon(m): 12:19pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ike Shoronmu ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:20pm On Apr 18, 2017
This list sha, if its according to ranking I believe Enyeama should be between 1 - 3

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by unitysheart(m): 12:20pm On Apr 18, 2017
Peter Rufai I know. Okala I know. Enyeama I sabi. Dosu Joseph would have been one of the great keepers we had, but for his accident after the Olympic 96 features, he had his career killed right from the beginning.

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mourinho Sacked As Tottenham Coach / Rita Johal, Riyad Mahrez's Ex-Wife Says Man City 'Ruined' Their Marriage / Lionel Messi's 31st Sculptured Cake By A Russian (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.