Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,310 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time (42579 Views)

Top 7 Nigeria Greatest Goalkeepers In History / No Yellow Cards For Goalkeepers That Encroach At The Women's World Cup / Top 7 Greatest BEARDS In Football Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by teelaw4life(m): 3:21pm On Apr 18, 2017
6toolz:
I grow up calling him keeper rufai also.. good old days

TheLordIsGr8:

Exactly grin

shumuel:
Lol grin you are not alone, infact i argued it that it was Keeper Rufai and not Peter Rufai grin

Simpler times ooo. When life wasn't as complicated as it is now. I remember how we used to troop to the house of any of our neighbours with TV just to watch match.

One memorable day sticks out in particular, can't remember who we played that day but it was Korea-Japan world cup, the match was on a sunday (i missed church that day) when we scored (i think Aghahowa), it felt as if the whole of lagos shouted goal in unison. in fact, like 45 seconds after you could still hear the echo of gooooaaal.
It's not like that anymore. 2009 u-17 tourney (coach Yemi Tella (RIP) and his boys) was the last time i showed any serious interest in Nigerian football.

All we have now are memories to hold on to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by swagdopey: 3:22pm On Apr 18, 2017
enigma2007:

Sand is from Denmark sir!

Tnx for d correction Sir...
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by salford: 3:23pm On Apr 18, 2017
Icon4s:

Bros take am easy.

I know Abiodun Baruwa aka "Omo Alhaja" very well.

A fantasic goalie destined for greatness.

He was supposed to replace Peter Rufai but e be like say dem dey follow him from village. First the age discrepancy prio to '96 Olympics and then that friendly prio to France '98: Nigeria 1 : 5 Holland. O the Dutch so messed Baruwa up. Baruwa just dey jump dey fall for ground like pregnant woman. He was already getting too fat. Then also Nigeria 0 : 3 Yugoslavia. Baruwa wan turn Messi for field dem collect ball for him leg score us. grin
Peter Rufai was called back from retirement to keep goal at France '98. That was the end of Abiodun Baruwa.
LOL
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Rossikk(m): 3:29pm On Apr 18, 2017
Emmanuel Okala, Vincent Enyeama, Peter Rufai, and Best Ogedengbe.

In that order.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Icon4s(m): 3:39pm On Apr 18, 2017
kindredspirit:

To me, Abiodun Baruwa, while in his element, was a FANTASTIC goalkeeper. Regardless of his growing belly, dude was as agile as a Cat and was very hard to beat between the sticks. He singlehandedly picked 3SC, time and again, by the bootstraps in their Winners Cup march to the finals, what year was that again ?

In fact, he was so good that at a point I felt he used Juju.

He was truly destined for greatness and I thought he should have achieved far more despite the clangers he committed in the friendlies prior to France 98.

Lol!

You must be a fan of 'UP soooooting' grin

That was the 1995 Cup winners Cup.

Among the 1996 Olympics goalies which were Abiodun Baruwa, Emmanuel Babayaro and Dosu Joseph. Baruwa was by far the best.
You know what age falsification caused him. Dosu Joseph who was a third choice goalie at Julius Berger now became number one.

Age caught up with Baruwa too early. grin
The guy come begin grow Belle and Yansh grin

Omo Ahlaja grin
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Icon4s(m): 3:41pm On Apr 18, 2017
Rossikk:
Emmanuel Okala, Vincent Enyeama, Peter Rufai, and Best Ogedengbe.

In that order.

Emma Okala ke. Pessin wey no smell world cup.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Chazzyboy: 3:42pm On Apr 18, 2017
jtwest:
Who else can be greater than a keeper that flies pole to pole and never conceded more than 4 goals in 8 years.
I wonder

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by pinkyruledworld(m): 4:01pm On Apr 18, 2017
I used to be one of the best keepers in high school but I no see club sign me...so I dey house dey google club wey go sign me.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 18, 2017
femi4:
Lol....I only saw Rufai and Enyama played.

No mind Baruwa....he was destined to be great right from Sec school (Up IC) until he lost his spot to Dosu in Atlanta 96 and we had to rely on Rufai in France 98 when Baruwa decided to dribble Predrag Mijatovic in a friendly against Yugoslavia towards France 98

Baruwa...Omo Alhaja ......No Baruwa, No Shooting stars grin
That single dribble was what finish Baruwa's career I think we later lost that match 3-0.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by kindredspirit(m): 4:29pm On Apr 18, 2017
Icon4s:

Lol!

You must be a fan of 'UP soooooting' grin

That was the 1995 Cup winners Cup.

Among the 1996 Olympics goalies which were Abiodun Baruwa, Emmanuel Babayaro and Dosu Joseph. Baruwa was by far the best.
You know what age falsification caused him. Dosu Joseph who was a third choice goalie at Julius Berger now became number one.

Age caught up with Baruwa too early. grin
The guy come begin grow Belle and Yansh grin

Omo Ahlaja grin

You're right. He was the best amongst the trio of keepers in the Olympic team. In fact, when he kept goal in the away match against Zimbabwe, my respect for his goalkeeping abilities was further cemented. I watched him thwart the Zimbabweans countless one-on-one goalscoring situations. It was like Voodoo then.

The Olympic team would go on to win by a goal to nil and the Zim FA proceeded to file a complaint about Baruwa's age to CAF. I think it took the influence of Mr Amos Adamu as a CAF Top Dog that Nigeria wasn't disqualified because Omo Alhaja was CLEARLY over age. Nigeria barely managed to counter the Zimbabwe appeal and the NFA silently eased Baruwa out of the Olympic team thereby handing Emmanuel Babayaro the first choice position. It wasn't due to lack of quality on the part of Baruwa because he was a SUPERB goalkeeper.

But age caught up to him real fast though. He grew a bigger derriere and belly in a short time.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by abescom: 4:42pm On Apr 18, 2017
robosky02:

that man nearly cost us a place at Atlanta 1996

first it was his age and then too many blunders (basket keeper)

thank God joseph Dusu

he should be placed among the worse super eagles keepers grin
was he not the one that kept against Sierra Leone as well when they beat us 1-0 away. That game almost cost us ticket to Korea Japan.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by femi4: 4:58pm On Apr 18, 2017
gist4real:

That single dribble was what finish Baruwa's career I think we later lost that match 3-0.
yes
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by kindredspirit(m): 5:02pm On Apr 18, 2017
abescom:
was he not the one that kept against Sierra Leone as well when they beat us 1-0 away. That game almost cost us ticket to Korea Japan.

Peterside Idah kept goal in that game.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by gifted21(f): 5:08pm On Apr 18, 2017
swagdopey:

Remember Rufai and that player they call Sand from Denmark... That guy really dealt with rufai

That guy turned Rufia to a child l will never forget his name and Zola (in USA 94). After Zola was given a red card he wept and almost refused to leave the pitch. The moment he left the game changed (abt 3mins extra time)they scored us two goals in 2mins and qualified for the quarter or semi finals can't really remember.
O boy did l weep, our boys were hot then after Japan 93 the likes of Babayaro, jay jay, kanu etc.....
Peter Rufia was great but my best was the golden boy Joseph dosu.
Ike held the fort together in his time too.
Vincent and Alloy are Patriotic

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by abescom: 5:53pm On Apr 18, 2017
kindredspirit:

Peterside Idah kept goal in that game.
sorry. And thanks for reminding me.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by blaze1916(m): 5:54pm On Apr 18, 2017
unitysheart:
Peter Rufai I know. Okala I know. Enyeama I sabi. Dosu Joseph would have been one of the great keepers we had, but for his accident after the Olympic 96 features, he had his career killed right from the beginning.
brother u don old o lol

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by stevedre: 6:08pm On Apr 18, 2017
robosky02:
for the worst keepers

1. abiodun baruwa

2. Chigozie Agbim

and

3. Gref Etafia

D

Nop, remove Greg Etafia
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by walexsho(m): 6:11pm On Apr 18, 2017
dragonking3:
They are all nigerdeltans.
God bless nigerdelta region. cool
Why naaa, you don't have to
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by heybee72(m): 6:13pm On Apr 18, 2017
What of Ike shoronmu...
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by wtfCode: 6:21pm On Apr 18, 2017
Enyeama has never bleeped up.
He's no. 1 for me

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:27pm On Apr 18, 2017
robosky02:

Inua Lawal Rigogo: The story of Rigogo remains a myth. He is perhaps the greatest goalkeeper Nigeria ever had. Though, many believed that he employed charms with the way he flies from pole to pole and made some incredible somersaults – that can’t be ordinary. Ghana’s President Kwame Nkurmah, once described him as a ‘Flying Cat.’

You dare not score Rigogo! Though. We don’t have records of his club career at ECN, but as a national team goalkeeper, he conceded the least goals – 4 goals over his 8 years career between 1960– 1969.

Blood Of Pharoah.

Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by majamajic(m): 7:33pm On Apr 18, 2017
Where's David Ngodiga angry
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by unitysheart(m): 10:55pm On Apr 18, 2017
blaze1916:
brother u don old o lol

Lol.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Rosskii: 1:00am On Apr 19, 2017
Icon4s:

Emma Okala ke. Pessin wey no smell world cup.

Blame Odiye for that, not Okala.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Rosskii: 1:36am On Apr 19, 2017
cool
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Rosskii: 1:39am On Apr 19, 2017
cool
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Trexnemesis(m): 3:05am On Apr 19, 2017
Iseoluwani:
I will go for obasanjo grin grin

F9
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by ajl: 10:36am On Apr 19, 2017
doctimi:
Joseph Dosu should be on that list.

Also that young chap (under 17 Fifa world cup) where is he now by the way? Cant remember his name

I believe I know the goalkeeper you are referring to. He was always smiling while in the goal post. I think he was part of the team of 1987 or '91, surely not Saudi '89.
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by Ryocaj(m): 12:49pm On Apr 19, 2017
bart10:

Are you kidding shocked
Am Adulting
Re: Nigeria's Seven (7) Greatest Goalkeepers Of All Time by robosky02(m): 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2017
ajl:

I believe I know the goalkeeper you are referring to. He was always smiling while in the goal post. I think he was part of the team of 1987 or '91, surely not Saudi '89.

no you dont grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Analysis Of UEFA Champions League 2017 Quarterfinals >>pic<< / Ighalo Fires At Solskjaer: You Were Unfair To Me At Man Utd / Jade Faulkner, Nigerian Gymnast At The Commonwealth Games. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.