Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate (29182 Views)

Shake Up Looms At DSS As President Buhari Decides Acting DG's Fate. / Suspended SGF Lawal Sticks His Tongue Mocking Nigerians In Aso Rock - Kperogi / Nigerians React To The Suspension Of SGF Lawal & NIA DG Ayo Oke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by kahal29: 4:30am On Apr 20, 2017
President Muhammadu Buhari suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation Babachir Lawal and National Intelligence Agency (NIA) Director-General Ayo Oke after two meetings with his kitchen cabinet, The Nation learnt last night.

There were indications last night that the Presidency may not recall the officials.

Besides, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has invited the wife of the suspended DG for questioning. But some members of the kitchen cabinet are opposed to the grilling of Mrs. Folashade Oke by EFCC since the President has raised a three-man committee to investigate the DG.

They said the presidential panel should complete its assignment before the EFCC moves in.

The suspension of the two officials was to enable the Federal Government investigate alleged infractions against them before a formal acceptance of their resignation.

Babachir will be probed over alleged N200million contract awarded to a company, Global Vision Limited, allegedly linked with him by the Presidential Initiative for the North East (PINE) for the clearing of “invasive plant species” (weeds) in Yobe State.

Oke is being investigated for alleged $43.4million operations cash, which was found by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) at apartment 7B in Osborne Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos.

The President wielded the big stick after two meetings with members of his kitchen cabinet on Tuesday night and at about 11am on Wednesday, a source told The Nation.

At the Tuesday night meeting were the President, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN), Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami (SAN) and Chief of Staff Abba Kyari, who has just returned from a medical trip overseas.

The Director-General of the Department of State Security Service (DSS), Mr. Lawan Daura, who was to be part of the meeting, could not make it because he was in transit from Saudi Arabia where he had gone for lesser Hajj( Umrah).

But on Wednesday morning, the DG, DSS was part of the second session.

According to sources, the meeting went through the EFCC Interim Report on the $43.4million; a fresh security report on the PINE contract in which the SGF was implicated; the Senate Report on PINE and available options.

A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “The meeting was painstaking in looking at issues against the two officials, especially allegations bordering on compliance with due process and financial regulations and alleged abuse of office.

“The outstanding records of the DG of NIA made the meeting solemn but it was decided that there should be no scared cow. The implication of the wife of NIA DG on how the safe apartment was secured to keep the $43.4million was found to be ‘abnormal’.

“Non-disclosure of the cash to the President after almost two years in office was also said to be unexplainable.”

“As for SGF Babachir Lawal, fresh security reports available to the President decided his fate. Some decisions taken by PINE under his watch were faulted by the meeting.

“The President strongly felt the two officials crossed the line and he said the excuses were unacceptable.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “At the end of it all, the meetings were caught in-between investigation and immediate resignation of the SGF and NIA DG.

“Some of those at the sessions wanted the NIA DG to proceed on pre-retirement leave because of the sensitive nature of the operation of the agency.

“As a matter of fact, the DIG had personally submitted a letter for leave of absence to the President to allow unfettered investigation. Oke said he was more interested in the survival of the intelligence system than his personal survival.”

After weighing the options, the meetings strongly recommended investigation into the alleged infractions against the officers to ascertain what went wrong, unmask other accomplices and learn some lessons for the future.

The source went on: “The Presidency was of the opinion that there might be more to the $43.4million haul. It described the covert operations as suspicious with the immediate administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan rated as complicit.

“The suspension of the officers was designed to allow the conduct of the investigation into the activities of the two officers before a final decision is taken.”

Asked why the President acted decisively on the cases, the source said it was because of the reasons as follows:

* Need not to compromise of the anti-corruption agenda;

* Public opprobrium on the grass cutting allegation against the SGF and the $43.4million cash haul;

* Perception that the government is weak in taking decisions against its officials; and

* The need to respect the decision of the Senate on the SGF to pave the way for the ongoing mediation between the Executive and the Legislature.

The two officers were caught unawares by the news of their suspension.

Another source said: “As a matter of fact, there was no formal letter of suspension served on the SGF and the DG of NIA before the announcement was made.

“They were both in office when the news was broken to them by their friends and associates. So, they later heard it on radio and television.

“The Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo however had audience with the two officers where he explained why they had to go on suspension.”

The highly-placed source believes that the government may not recall the suspended officials.

They might either be retired or asked to formally resign from office, he said, pleading not to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.

He added: “If there is any strong reason to prosecute them, affected officials, the government will do so, depending on the recommendation of the three-man panel headed by the Vice President.

“Already, the Presidency is sourcing for their replacement. Some candidates have been pencilled down.

As for NIA, the suspended DG will soon be 60 and his tenure will end in November. Technically, he is expected to proceed on pre-retirement leave from August.”

Amb. Arab Yadam (Plateau State) is said to have taken over as the Acting DG of NIA.

Yadam is said to be the senior Deputy DG among Oke’s two deputies.

Also, it was learnt that Dr. Habibat Lawal (Bauchi State), who is the most senior Permanent Secretary in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, has stepped in as the Acting SGF.

Meanwhile, there was disquiet in the Presidency last night following the summoning of the wife of the DG of NIA by EFCC.

The anti-graft commission has invited her for interrogation over the $43.4million recovered from Apartment 7B in Osborne Towers. Her company was alleged to have acquired the apartment for the NIA.

But some government officials were said to be opposed to the invitation of Mrs. Oke since a presidential committee was already in place.

“Some government officials felt the presidential committee should complete its assignment before EFCC steps in.

“They said it will be improper and untidy for a presidential panel to be investigating and EFCC is doing the same thing. “This development is causing some disquiet in the Presidency,” another source said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-sealed-sgf-lawals-nia-dgs-fate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by HungerBAD: 4:31am On Apr 20, 2017
Interesting.

That they both got suspended should not be News at all. What did not make the headlines, was that they were not lead away in Handcuffs, especially that Oke fellow.

The story of this Oke will not be complete, if we do not talk about Goodluck Jonathan and his level of daftness. How can a whole $43.4million just disappear from the coffers of Nigeria, and nobody, i mean, no SINGLE soul noticed that such money had gone missing in Jonathan's Government?and yet some still call for his return.

Wow. Really?i mean really?how many other $43.4million is still out there?i mean, how can a group of people(ALL IN THE PDP) just take a blood oath that they will loot Nigeria to the ground by all means. Matter of fact, SGF Babachir Lawal looks like a Saint, as compared to these other thieves.

This fight against corruption will not be complete until David Mark, Bukola Saraki,Anthony Anenih,Patience Jonathan,Tompolo, and Pius Anyim return back their own version of the $43.4million,that they are helping Nigeria to keep in a safe house somewhere.

Who knows?maybe the EFCC should even check Ini Edo's house,just in case Senator Akpabio left his own $43.4million version there for safe keeping on behalf of Nigeria.

Once again, Buhari has shown the world that he has little patience for corruption.

Buhari Today. Osibanjo Tomorrow.

111 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Aufbauh(m): 4:37am On Apr 20, 2017
The suspension of the duo should be seen as the loudest statement made by this present administration as regards the anti corruption war.

The implication is that if the SGF who is seen as one key member of the inner caucus of Mr.president is not spared, then no one not even the ministers are above chastening.

#IstandwithBuhari

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by jojomario(m): 4:58am On Apr 20, 2017
Buhari should not stop here. More heads must roll. We want massive sack and resignation.

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by chriskosherbal(m): 5:02am On Apr 20, 2017
I think there is still more were this is coming from.....oya investigate more.

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by modath(f): 5:02am On Apr 20, 2017
HungerBAD:
Following

smiley How are you doing? where have you been?

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Nobody: 5:05am On Apr 20, 2017
In due time all will be revealed, nothing hides under the Nigerian Sun.

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by HungerBAD: 5:05am On Apr 20, 2017
modath:

smiley How are you doing? where have you been?

How are you doing my sister? just trying to put food on my table in my real life.

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by modath(f): 5:07am On Apr 20, 2017
All me i know is that this is the man with the backbone steel i have/had so much confidence in..... come dey do like indulgent fada of useless spoilt pikin dem...

Keep doing this bubu & also work on the economy, in 2019 , we will repeat 2015 with no SAK involved.... some people that rode on bubu's coattails to power have seriously undermined his admin & also sabotaged the people's will and progress.....

Ride on Bubu...

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by kingphilip(m): 5:28am On Apr 20, 2017
The source went on: “The Presidency was of the opinion thatthere might be more to the$43.4million haul. It described the covert operations as suspicious with the immediate administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan rated as complicit.

Finally they've found a way of roping past administration

I have been waiting for this and good they didn't disappoint

5 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by hmuhammad(m): 5:30am On Apr 20, 2017
God bless PMB

God bless PYO

God bless FRN

God punish Biafra

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by MyMouth(m): 5:42am On Apr 20, 2017
hmuhammad:
God bless PMB

God bless PYO

God bless FRN

God punish Biafra

4 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by madridguy(m): 5:42am On Apr 20, 2017
Thank you Sai Baba.

4 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Babacele: 5:59am On Apr 20, 2017
modath:

All me i know is that this is the man with the backbone steel i have/had so much confidence in..... come dey do like indulgent fada of useless spoilt pikin dem...

Keep doing this bubu & also work on the economy, in 2019 , we will repeat 2015 with no SAK involved.... some people that rode on bubu's coattails to power have seriously undermined his admin & also sabotaged the people's will and progress.....

Ride on Bubu...
......even with this move I am not impressed until DG SSS is fired ! He is more dangerous than the suspended duo. I don't trust the AG too and no be today... sup Mo? Been thinking of adding a new sobriquet to your like Mo Dollars, Mo Money etc but you gonna part with some registration fee so that the FRSC would issue you a new number plate with diplomatic immunity accorded in and outta the country.....lmao!

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Splashme: 6:02am On Apr 20, 2017
Df
Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Earth2Metahuman: 6:21am On Apr 20, 2017
Remain the dss guy, he is saraki houseboy, helping him to cover up his shady deals.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by tuniski: 6:23am On Apr 20, 2017
HungerBAD:
Interesting.

That they both got suspended should not be News at all. What did not make the headlines, was that they were not lead away in Handcuffs, especially that Oke fellow.

The story of this Oke will not be complete, if we do not talk about Goodluck Jonathan and his level of daftness. How can a whole $43.4million just disappear from the coffers of Nigeria, and nobody, i mean, no SINGLE soul noticed that such money had gone missing in Jonathan's Government?and yet some still call for his return.

Wow. Really?i mean really?how many other $43.4million is still out there?i mean, how can a group of people(ALL IN THE PDP) just take a blood oath that they will loot Nigeria to the ground by all means. Matter of fact, SGF Babachir Lawal looks like a Saint, as compared to these other thieves.

This fight against corruption will not be complete until David Mark, Bukola Saraki,Anthony Anenih,Patience Jonathan,Tompolo, and Pius Anyim return back their own version of the $43.4million,that they are helping Nigeria to keep in a safe house somewhere.

Who knows?maybe the EFCC should even check Ini Edo's house,just in case Senator Akpabio left his own $43.4million version there for safe keeping on behalf of Nigeria.

Once again, Buhari has shown the world that he has little patience for corruption.

Crap!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by seguno2: 6:27am On Apr 20, 2017
Aufbauh:
The suspension of the duo should be seen as the loudest statement made by this present administration as regards the war against anti corruption.

The implication is that if the SGF who is seen as one key member of the inner caucus of Mr.president is not spared, then no one not even the ministers are above chastening.

#IstandwithBuhari

The cinema dey sweet gan.
Loudest statement ko. Loudest stunt ni.
Ordinary amount of our foreign exchange that the old sick man wasted in London on his treatment after banning government officials from doing the same, he has not disclosed.
How can you fight corruption without transparency?
No surprise sha.
The same Buhari collected $300,000 and two SUVs from Dasuki hence he cannot prosecute the man properly despite the initial gra gra of loudest noise to the cheers of his BMC e-warriors and their zonebee followers.
This cinema will soon end and we will know the truth.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by seguno2: 6:32am On Apr 20, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
Remain the dss guy, he is saraki houseboy, helping him to cover up his shady deals.

Gullible people everywhere.
How is the DSS guy covering the shady deals of anyone?
Please explain.
It took Buhari how many years to just suspend Babachir upon all the noise and criticism from the public?
Meanwhile, Buratai is still there with his multi million dollar mansions in Dubai.
Who is fooling who with all this drama to cover up his ATM aviation minister and his girlfriend?
Who is fooling who?

4 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by papparatzzi2013: 6:35am On Apr 20, 2017
How will an agency have 43m dollars and has never deemed it fit to brief the sitting president on the covert operations.

How can Jonathan sign off such amount in raw cash. Mind you, he signed more than that it is only 43m the money remains. How much was signed and collected in raw cash.

Why was such amount of money being kept in a private house, even if it is a safe house?

The money was discovered on Wednesday and th ex-CSO to Jonathan died o heart attack the following day. Is that not mysterious.

How is Wike Fayose and FFK feeling about their useless and irresponsible statements, when they knew all along that the money was technically for PDP. Were they trying to confuse or divert the attention of the investigators?

That money can successfully sponsor a coup against any Govt. As for me, the money was part of the dollar money spent in SW by Jonathan for the 2015 election. Th mission failed and nobody bothered to return the money back into our coffers.

Thank you FG for buying into the Whistle Blowing idea.

Jonathan prides himself in producing the highest number of millionaires, where are they today?

16 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by clevadani: 6:35am On Apr 20, 2017
I'm still finding it difficult to believe that government officials will be sacked for their thieving ways in Nigeria. Don't think this has happened before.
I commend the present admin for this.

5 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Nobody: 6:40am On Apr 20, 2017
This is a Litmus test for Osibanjo. Buhari has done his part by suspending them and asking a committee headed by Osibanjo to investigate them. If the VP messes up and acquits the thieves, then he should kiss my support goodbye.

7 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by TheFreeOne: 6:48am On Apr 20, 2017
The suspension of Baschir is a belated move but still a good move but the grasscutter needs to be prosecuted for stealing from IDPs.

And there's still more to Oke part in OsborneGate and I hope it will be revealed in the coming days. Anyone indicted in the cash haul should be prosecuted.

4 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Earth2Metahuman: 6:52am On Apr 20, 2017
seguno2:

Gullible people everywhere.
How is the DSS guy covering the shady deals of anyone?
Please explain.
It took Buhari how many years to just suspend Babachir upon all the noise and criticism from the public?
Meanwhile, Buratai is still there with his multi million dollar mansions in Dubai.
Who is fooling who with all this drama to cover up his ATM aviation minister and his girlfriend?
Who is fooling who?
pele o ungullible people.

Buhari should just suspend or sack someone without proper investigation first because some wailers who have submitted their brains at the alter of bigotry are shouting on the internet abi?

Just negodu

10 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by omenkaLives(m): 6:53am On Apr 20, 2017
HungerBAD:
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Jabioro: 6:54am On Apr 20, 2017
When you feel untraceable by your act, the infinity Father can do that without stress, the $43 million dollars had no traceable records in all ramification.. Oke should be behind the bar by now
Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by seguno2: 7:00am On Apr 20, 2017
Earth2Metahuman:
pele o ungullible people.

Buhari should just suspend or sack someone without proper investigation first because some wailer who have submitted their brains at the alter of bigotry are shouting on the internet abi?

Just negodu

Jonathan SACKED Stella Oduah and Barth Nnaji on mere allegations of corruption.
Buhari has been protecting Babachir and Buratai despite their N500 million grass cutting deal and multi million dollar mansions in Dubai.
Finally he SUSPENDS Babachir after almost a year and still says he is doing investigations and setting up committees?
And some people believe the shit?
We are 200 million mumus indeed as Lagbaja called us.
SMH!!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by seguno2: 7:04am On Apr 20, 2017
Jabioro:
When you feel untraceable by your act, the infinity Father can do that without stress, the $43 million dollars had no traceable records in all ramification.. Oke should be behind the bar by now

Who will put him behind bars?
For being made the fall guy of Buhari's minister and his girlfriend stealing our money?
Are you joking?
Are you serious?
Or are you just seriously joking?
Buhari is a chop and clean mouth Grand Mullah of Corruption, GMC.

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Jabioro: 7:28am On Apr 20, 2017
seguno2:

For being made the fall guy of Buhari's minister and his girlfriend stealing our money?
Are you joking?
Are you serious?
You still have the believed that Buhari hand look sour in this matter.. you're on long thing

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Jabioro: 7:33am On Apr 20, 2017
seguno2:

Are you joking?
Are you serious?
You still have the believed that Buhari hand look sour in this matter? you're on long things then
Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by Earth2Metahuman: 7:38am On Apr 20, 2017
seguno2:

Jonathan SACKED Stella Oduah and Barth Nnaji on mere allegations of corruption.
Buhari has been protecting Babachir and Buratai despite their N500 million grass cutting deal and multi million dollar mansions in Dubai.
Finally he SUSPENDS Babachir after almost a year and still says he is doing investigations and setting up committees?
And some people believe the shit?
We are 200 million mumus indeed as Lagbaja called us.
SMH!!!
stellah spent close to 2years before she got booted out very close to election to save face, just like most of the things jonathan did when election was around the corner.
Barth nnaji quitted not fired, there wasn't any serious allegation of corruption against him except heresays.

Not everyone is suffering selective amnesia.

Since you brought jonathan into this,
Now let's see, jonathan gave presidential pardon his ex convit boss.
He allowed the immigration boss youth killer roam free.
What about maduekwe despite the shit load of accusation and still acting untop of the world?
What about sacking sanusi for blowing whistle on immense corruption at nnpc?
What about firing waziri for going after efcc pdp governor and brought in lamorde, the worst efcc governor ever?
What about allowing first lady to have power even more than state governors?.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Buhari Sealed SGF Lawal’s, NIA Dg’s Fate by kahal29: 7:42am On Apr 20, 2017
Chai

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Loyalists Responsible For Maina’s Reinstatement – Presidency / I Will Review Appointments To Address Marginalisation – Buhari / Photo Of Buhari Receiving A Phone Call Regarding The Released Kankara Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.