Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? (9137 Views)

FOR NIGERIANS: Is These Why Want To Travel Abroad? / Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes / Vacation Trip To Non African Country With 250k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 6:21am On May 09, 2018
HeWrites:

Dada Estate. Yeah, still there now but planning to leave there by next year.
I was living around GTbank area before I left the country
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by HeWrites(m): 6:47am On May 09, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
I was living around GTbank area before I left the country

That's Ogo Oluwa right?
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 7:05am On May 09, 2018
HeWrites:

That's Ogo Oluwa right?

yes bro
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 7:08am On May 09, 2018
HeWrites:

Cool, I resides there also.

You don't have to argue with the guy.

There's a guy who spoke with a lady in English at a restaurant in China. You need to see the way she's reply him, saying every words one by one. Even her accent is very bad

And someone is here saying our accent is very bad.

I don't want to argue with him that's why I just turn to ghost reader
y'all must stop fooling around. I have said the bitter truth but it obvious I can't win this argument.

Well I'm not surprised. I will refer back to my early postt saying we are so stubborn to comprehend admitting something is not right and that's the only right direction to improvement.

What we think, feel and believe is the reason we are not growing as a nation since independence and funny enough it can reflect from everyone of you perspectives who believe we speak good English rather than admitting the truth and possibly blame our educational structures just for a solution.

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 7:22am On May 09, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
yes bro, don’t mind this babalemu, I hate it when someone is talking with fallacy. I will say it again we speak correct spoken English but our accent might sounds funny. FYI not only you is outside the country, I work with the Americans,canadians, British and do you know that they like Nigerian spoken English because it is very clear unlike those countries u mentioned such as Ugandans, Somalians, Malawians, and South Africans; they have accent, accepted but they don’t speak correct English bro cause I’m working with them also. It baffles me when you look so inferior to those countries mentioned above because they can even testify to the fact that Nigerians speak correct spoken English. Maybe you might need to work on yourself
lol comparing Ugandans English to that of Nigerians it like comparing California City to Ajegunle City. Get lost dude like seriously the way some lecturer in Nigeria still pronounce TURN as TORN, BACK as BARK, CUT as COURT. Like seriously you have a prove?

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 7:47am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:
get out of here! Nigerian speaks good English not close in my dreams. Have you ever listened to Uganda, South Africa, Namibia, Seychelles, Mozambique, botwana, Angola, Congolese, Swaziland English? You will trip compare to gibberish we speaks called English. Learning is admitting you dont know something.

Example do you want to compare Nigerian rappers spoken English to the rappers from eastern and southern Africa??

I said it before one of the reason we don't grow is we too stubborn to admit and lazy to learn. When something is bad we admit it and think of solution to it. Deep down where you are you know they don't value our English yet you praising and proud of something that makes everyone of us inferior when it comes to speaking good English.

A white man do not expect you as a black man to speak good English especially if it's not your mother tongue but at least expects you to pronounce words correctly. I can bet with my life majority of Nigerian still cannot pronounce simple basics such as can, mother, cut, further, juice, and, correctly.

We don't speak good English simple we need to learn over to our teachers, leaders and parents.
[quote a
Babaelemu:
get out of here! Nigerian speaks good English not close in my dreams. Have you ever listened to Uganda, South Africa, Namibia, Seychelles, Mozambique, botwana, Angola, Congolese, Swaziland English? You will trip compare to gibberish we speaks called English. Learning is admitting you dont know something.

Example do you want to compare Nigerian rappers spoken English to the rappers from eastern and southern Africa??

I said it before one of the reason we don't grow is we too stubborn to admit and lazy to learn. When something is bad we admit it and think of solution to it. Deep down where you are you know they don't value our English yet you praising and proud of something that makes everyone of us inferior when it comes to speaking good English.

A white man do not expect you as a black man to speak good English especially if it's not your mother tongue but at least expects you to pronounce words correctly. I can bet with my life majority of Nigerian still cannot pronounce simple basics such as can, mother, cut, further, juice, and, correctly.

We don't speak good English simple we need to learn over to our teachers, leaders and parents.
uthor=Babaelemu post=67402073] lol comparing Ugandans English to that of Nigerians it like comparing California City to Ajegunle City. Get lost dude like seriously the way some lecturer in Nigeria still pronounce TURN as TORN, BACK as BARK, CUT as COURT. Like seriously you have a prove?[/quote]like you are even confusing yourself, you said it earlier that you like their English, bro your argument is baseless because you don’t generalize something you have problem with. The way an educated person will speak English will be different from the way uneducated fellow will....even illiterates in Nigeria still speak good English just that the accent and intonation of speaking. Talk for yourself bro, you are the reason why South Africans look down on us like we re not from the same continent..SMH
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 8:00am On May 09, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
uthor=Babaelemu post=67402073] lol comparing Ugandans English to that of Nigerians it like comparing California City to Ajegunle City. Get lost dude like seriously the way some lecturer in Nigeria still pronounce TURN as TORN, BACK as BARK, CUT as COURT. Like seriously you have a prove?like you are even confusing yourself, you said it earlier that you like their English, bro your argument is baseless because you don’t generalize something you have problem with. The way an educated person will speak English will be different from the way uneducated fellow will....even illiterates in Nigeria still speak good English just that the accent and intonation of speaking. Talk for yourself bro, you are the reason why South Africans look down on us like we re not from the sam e continent..SMH
no one is looking down on us. We become a bloody fool when we don't know something and admitting we know it better. We don't speak good English you know why? because our educational system is messed from primary to tertiary. That's a prove. please wish Nigeria well by not defending this baseless argument.

Prove is here lost defenders

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.africanexponent.com/amp/post/8264-uganda-ranked-the-best-english-speaking-country-in-africa&ved=2ahUKEwiUqbDchvjaAhWkKcAKHWfTC0kQFjANegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3ex_Cx70MnauXgRc96xY4F&ampcf=1

Here is my conclusion below from the article

In West Africa, countries like Nigeria and Ghana that are known to speak English have often faced widespread criticism over their ‘thick’ accents.

Spoken English words are often mixed with a heavy tone of pidgin, which perhaps, confuses many foreigners who find it had to grasp the spoken words

When I said it took me flipping 4 years to adapt to pronouncing some english words correctly some people here thought I had low self-esteem.
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by HeWrites(m): 8:01am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:
y'all must stop fooling around. I have said the bitter truth but it obvious I can't win this argument.

Well I'm not surprised. I will refer back to my early postt saying we are so stubborn to comprehend admitting something is not right and that's the only right direction to improvement.

What we think, feel and believe is the reason we are not growing as a nation since independence and funny enough it can reflect from everyone of you perspectives who believe we speak good English rather than admitting the truth and possibly blame our educational structures just for a solution.

Why quoting me when I don't quote or mention your name

Let respect ourselves please
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 8:10am On May 09, 2018
HeWrites:

Why quoting me when I don't quote or mention your name

Let respect ourselves please
SORRY BRO.

KEEP BELIEVING WE SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH.
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 8:14am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:
no one is looking down on us. We become a bloody fool when we don't know something and admitting we know it better. We don't speak good English you know why? because our educational system is messed from primary to tertiary. That's a prove. please wish Nigeria well by not defending this baseless argument.

Prove is here lost defenders

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.africanexponent.com/amp/post/8264-uganda-ranked-the-best-english-speaking-country-in-africa&ved=2ahUKEwiUqbDchvjaAhWkKcAKHWfTC0kQFjANegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3ex_Cx70MnauXgRc96xY4F&ampcf=1
well, this will be the last time I will argue with you on this, you referred me to one website where someone just wrote some unconfirmed news and read it very well, it says bbc is yet to confirm that. Just work on yourself bro. At times those British and other English speaking countries might be wrong in constructing proper sentence but because their accent sounds good you won’t notice it..
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by claremont(m): 8:22am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:

I think you are confusing good English with regional variations in accent. There is no such thing as a 'Nigerian accent', there are cultural variations in accent amongst the major tribal groups in Nigeria. The fact that cultural variations in accent exist doesn't mean that the spoken English is bad, it simply means that the way the English language is spoken will vary along cultural lines. This also applies to the UK, there is a wide variation in the way the English language is spoken by the scottish, welsh, irish; and this variation is influenced by their culture. In mainland England, there are also regional variations in spoken English language, those people living in the north of England speak differently from those in the south.

My point to you is that saying Nigerians do not speak good English simply because we pronounce certain words differently from others is a bit too simplistic without factoring in the influence of culture. It's like saying only people who live and studied in Cambridge or Oxford speak 'proper English', whilst at the same time forgetting that the same English is spoken by the welsh, scottish and the irish, albeit a bit differently.

3 Likes

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by BedLam: 8:23am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:

OMG. One who hasn't been to or been around these people you mentioned would think you are right. As I'm typing this to you, I just left 3 African countries and met almost everyone you mentioned. The only people that came close are Ugandans and that means the person is educated. You peddle misinformation and outright bias. No one should take him serious. He has issues. FYI, I lived with someone from Botswana for 7 days in the same apartment. GTFO!

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by BedLam: 8:24am On May 09, 2018
claremont:

I think you are confusing good English with regional variations in accent. There is no such thing as a 'Nigerian accent', there are cultural variations in accent amongst the major tribal groups in Nigeria. The fact that cultural variations in accent exist doesn't mean that the spoken English is bad, it simply means that the way the English language is spoken will vary along cultural lines. This also applies to the UK, there is a wide variation in the way the English language is spoken by the scottish, welsh, irish; and this variation is influenced by their culture. In mainland England, there are also regional variations in spoken English language, those people living in the north of England speak differently from those in the south.

My point to you is that saying Nigerians do not speak good English simply because we pronounce certain words differently from others is a bit too simplistic without factoring in the influence of culture. It's like saying only people who live and studied in Cambridge or Oxford speak 'proper English', whilst at the same time forgetting that the same English is spoken by the welsh, scottish and the irish, albeit a bit differently.
That should tell you his level of understanding. There's even a documentary on CNN that rated Nigerian accent higher. Dude will come here and tell you hogwash.

2 Likes

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 8:31am On May 09, 2018
BedLam:
That should tell you his level of understanding. There's even a documentary on CNN that rated Nigerian accent higher. Dude will come here and tell you hogwash.
don’t mind the foreign bro who believes he is now in a foreign land and our English is so bad. He should work on his own English before generalizing we Nigerians. I’m even living with a Ugandan and Zimbabwean. I’m even ashamed of this guy because you re now out of the country, you painting your country black.
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 8:38am On May 09, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
well, this will be the last time I will argue with you on this, you referred me to one website where someone just wrote some unconfirmed news and read it very well, it says bbc is yet to confirm that. Just work on yourself bro. At times those British and other English speaking countries might be wrong in constructing proper sentence but because their accent sounds good you won’t notice it..
don't make me laugh. I'm not ashamed to say it cos I have our educational system controlled by our government to blame. Basically from experience I think I have improve my spoken English and still learning.

An argument will always go two ways so I really don't expect you to support my motions. I want to believe I have given you all to those who believe we speak good English enough prove to digest from one on one encounter, words of mouth and writes up by other people rather than being bais.

I'm not disputing we don't speak English we do and it our official language but outsiders don't consider our spoken english as a good one point blank.

I love my country and I really wish her well.

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 8:48am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:
don't make me laugh. I'm not ashamed to say it cos I have our educational system controlled by our government to blame. Basically from experience I think I have improve my spoken English and still learning.

An argument will always go two ways so I really don't expect you to support my motions. I want to believe I have given you all to those who believe we speak good English enough prove to digest from one on one encounter, words of mouth and writes up by other people rather than being bais.

I'm not disputing we don't speak English we do and it our official language but outsiders don't consider our spoken english as a good one point blank.

I love my country and I really wish her well.
do you know why they believe our English is wack, because they think nothing good comes from Africa but if you go out there to show them you can do it then there will be some respect. I said earlier I went for an interview and my interviewer told me face to face that he like my spine English and here other countries used to say they like Nigerian’s spoken English

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 8:49am On May 09, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
don’t mind the foreign bro who believes he is now in a foreign land and our English is so bad. He should work on his own English before generalizing we Nigerians. I’m even living with a Ugandan and Zimbabwean. I’m even ashamed of this guy because you re now out of the country, you painting your country black.
keep defending our failure as a success. I'm sure instinct would somehow hit on your deeply that I'm very right. Our spoken english is not up to the standard I'm not even talking about accent. We've mastered our English in the wrong direction the system been there for sometime now and it keep reproducing.
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Chuchunana: 8:49am On May 09, 2018

My point to you is that saying Nigerians do not speak good English simply because we pronounce certain words differently from others is a bit too simplistic without factoring in the influence of culture. It's like saying only people who live and studied in Cambridge or Oxford speak 'proper English', whilst at the same time forgetting that the same English is spoken by the welsh, scottish and the irish, albeit a bit differently.[/quote]

Unfortunately the dude (baba-whatever) can't understand half of what you've written. It's appalling when people proudly flaunt their ignorance.
Baba-whatever, if you speak as bad as you write then I can understand why your views are so flawed...

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 9:02am On May 09, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
do you know why they believe our English is wack, because they think nothing good comes from Africa but if you go out there to show them you can do it then there will be some respect. I said earlier I went for an interview and my interviewer told me face to face that he like my spine English and here other countries used to say they like Nigerian’s spoken English
i said 97% I didn't say all Nigerians maybe or maybe not you speaks well I wouldn't know.

If your interview was a white person obviously he wouldn't say it to your face that your spoken english is poor but rather praise you cos it never in their culture to belittle or make you feel low. But secretly they will gossip about it.

I don't know you and I'm not disputing you don't speak well as presently I will stand on my ground that majority of Nigerians don't speak good English and I rate it high.
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by peacengine(m): 9:05am On May 09, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
uthor=Babaelemu post=67402073] lol[s] comparing Ugandans English to that of Nigerians it like comparing California City to Ajegunle City. Get lost dude like seriously the way some lecturer in Nigeria still pronounce TURN as TORN, BACK as BARK, CUT as COURT. Like seriously you have a prove?like you are even confusing yourself, you said it earlier that you like their English, bro your argument is baseless because you don’t generalize something you have problem with. The way an educated person will speak English will be different from the way uneducated fellow will....even illiterates in Nigeria still speak good English just that the accent and intonation of speaking. Talk for yourself bro, you are the reason why South Africans look down on us like we re not from the same continent..SMH [/s]
https://www.google.com/search?oq=best+African+English+accent%2C+CNN+travel&aqs=mobile-gws-lite..&q=best+African+English+accent%2C+CNN+travel
http://googleweblight.com/i?u=http://www..com/talk/topic,76160.0.html&hl=en-NG
When I say you must be an imposter, I'm not joking
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by peacengine(m): 9:13am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:
i[s] said 97% I didn't say all Nigerians maybe or maybe not you speaks well I wouldn't know.

If your interview was a white person obviously he wouldn't say it to your face that your spoken english is poor but rather praise you cos it never in their culture to belittle or make you feel low. But secretly they will gossip about it.

I don't know you and I'm not disputing you don't speak well as presently I will stand on my ground that majority of Nigerians don't speak good English and I rate it high [/s].
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 9:14am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:
i said 97% I didn't say all Nigerians maybe or maybe not you speaks well I wouldn't know.

I don't know you and I'm not disputing you don't speak well as presently I will stand on my ground that majority of Nigerians don't speak good English and I rate it high.
bro what are you even saying, it is pretty obvious that your spoken English is so bad to be talking like this , you don’t have confidence in yourself that’s why you thought every Nigerian is like you. May God help you

3 Likes

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Babaelemu: 9:17am On May 09, 2018
Chuchunana:

Unfortunately the dude (baba-whatever) can't understand half of what you've written. It's appalling when people proudly flaunt their ignorance.
Baba-whatever, if you speak as bad as you write then I can understand why your views are so flawed...

Bro I'm still gonna say same thing we don't speak good English.

You hold a Nigerian passport with a degree in English from Nigeria University and I hold ordinary southern African passport. Then we both seek for english teaching Jobs in Asia I can bet with my life that the chances of me getting a job is higher than yours. Even the Asian don't consider us as a english nation but they considered some southern Africa countries.

Google is your friend

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 10:15am On May 09, 2018
Babaelemu:

Bro I'm still gonna say same thing we don't speak good English.

You hold a Nigerian passport with a degree in English from Nigeria University and I hold ordinary southern African passport. Then we both seek for english teaching Jobs in Asia I can bet with my life that the chances of me getting a job is higher than yours. Even the Asian don't consider us as a english nation but they considered some southern Africa countries.

Google is your friend
now I get your drift, you re definitely right about the passport issues when seeking teaching job in foreign countries, the reason is based mainly on accent, they think our accent is not as good as British and Americans English and they also take South Africans because some fractions of South Africans are white and their accent is different from ours. Google it also some countries don’t even ask for toefl or ielts from Nigerians for masters or educational programs because they know we speak English also. Don’t based your facts on that bro because I have seen some Nigerians teaching in those schools and even in the country I am right now, they are pretty much teaching there and they don’t have problem with their English.
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 09, 2018
grandstar:

You like the sing song Caribbean accent grin

Don't know what the bolded means...but yes my brother...I surely do.
But no surprise, (and please don't lynch me)..but Nigerians and Jamaicans (in particular) do have that ancestral link.....they are closer relatives than they may think....which is interesting.
I see that "Nigerians" are the "giants of Africa".....
Jamaicans are the "giants of the black Caribbean Islands".... smiley

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 09, 2018
[quote author=Taofeekdboy post=67372065]your dad is very right, Nigerians and Ghanaians speak correct English.Though Americans accent might sounds cool but their english at times?quote]

Well, I'm not sure I know about the "cool" part..lol You probably mean the "slang" words....or what's culturally popular at the moment. Some words go and some stay for a very long time.
Yes...the English at times is (atrocious)...and I cringe when my dad literally corrects folks right when they are speaking.
I'm like, "No Daddy....don't say that to them right now!"
But he sees absolutely nothing wrong with it and says he's helping them...lol.
Folks who have trouble speaking the English language (which is actually difficult to learn grammatically due to tons of rules) oftentimes, have only been exposed due to "school"....as a lesson, but who once they return home, don't have people speaking correctly (who probably haven't learned how to speak correctly themselves).
As a result, they resort back to what's "normal" for them.....
The Nigerians I've associated with have spoken clearly and distinctly. The Nigerian accent is very distinct.....and the English was well spoken..so that's all I can base "my " findings on.
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Taofeekdboy(m): 1:03pm On May 09, 2018
[quote author=Mobilia post=67411377][/quote]Thank you for that explanation.Gracias!!!!!

1 Like

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Chrisantus94(m): 3:27pm On May 09, 2018
Abeg Na Who English Epp, I Love My Pidgin Jare!
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 09, 2018
I like the Nigerian accent. But then, I am an open minded person and am accepting of other cultures in general. I admit sometimes I have to ask people to repeat themselves because i didnt quite understand them. Even in America you will find that people have different accents based on what part of the country they are located. Do not trouble yourself about this. Most of the time, the people who give others a hard time about someone else's accent has a bias. What i am trying to say is that the problem most likely is themselves. Open minded and understanding people are accepting of others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Nobody: 2:10am On May 10, 2018
Taofeekdboy:
Thank you for that explanation.Gracias!!!!!

You are welcome sir!
Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by chukxie(m): 3:46pm On May 10, 2018
Spygadgets19:
it kind of beats me why Nigeria was colonized by the British, but how come we don't speak like them? As in have their accent.

Do the Indians speak English with a British accent? Do the Pakistani? Even Northern Irish folks speak English with a northern Irish accent! How many countries in the Commonwealth state speak English like the Brits?

4 Likes

Re: To Non-Nigerians; Is The "Nigerian Accent" appealing? by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 10, 2018
"Nigerians speak good/bad English" Hmmm! This topic is about accent; however, if grammar is poor, it affects the speaker negatively.

Someone above wrote "Nigerians speak clearly and distinctly. Distinctly, I agree, but clearly, I am not so sure. I think she got so used to her dad's ways of saying his words in my own opinion. So, she has no difficulty to understand people who sound like her dad.

Nigerians speak good English. I agree if the speaker knows grammatical rules. Seriously, most Nigerians do not know tenses rules. But I have met some guys that are just super. Ok, just go through nairaland and you will see errors. Well, these errors will not have extreme negative effect if the mistakes are minor. There are some errors that can mislead listeners.

Nigerians speak good English. I disagree if the speaker does not pronounce his/her words well. It is why someone wrote above that they speak distinctly. How?

1. They speak too fast. Lol. Especially when Nigerians are debating political topics. Jeeeez! When Chelsea don dey hammer Arsenal.

2. A) 99% of Nigerians pronounce "thank" as "tank". Nigerians do not know where to place their tongues when pronuoucing th.

B) Hausas pronouce "People" as "Veevle" or "Feefle". Igbos have a unique way of pronoucing the letter R. They over roll it. Lol. Yoruba Language doesnt have the letter "h". It is why they write Sade instead of Shade, Sola instead of Shola, etc. So, do not expect a yoruba man to pronounce "house" correctly. He is going to say "ouse".

Also, pick and peak; hat and hart; bitch and beach; etc. are areas to watch out for. So when a naija is discussing soccer/football, he uses the shorter version of every word because he is in hurry to say many words on top of his voice. Lol.

It is not a bad idea to enrol in an accent reduction class when you find yourself in an environment you need to speak clearly so that majority can understand you without saying eh, what, repeat, etc. It may affect you if you need to make presentations to some groups of people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebola: FG Suspends Airline Operations From Liberia, Sierra Leone / Gombe And Kebbi Airports Shut Down Due To Debts Owed / Lagos Task Force Impounds 163 Motorcycles And Arrests 29 Riders (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.