Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

5 Interesting Things About Benin City - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Interesting Things About Benin City (30686 Views)

Top 5 Interesting Places In Lagos To Celebrate Nigeria @ 59 / 5 Interesting Things To See And Do In Abeokuta, Ogun State / 5 Interesting Things About South Africa Most People Don’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by thesicilian: 2:23pm On Apr 22, 2017
gurunlocker:
No picture?.... Then your post is not complete.
Are you a nursery school kid?
Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by RIPEnglish: 2:25pm On Apr 22, 2017
Benekruku:
They have the majority of humans who take flight day and night

The headquarters of Nigerian Super Eagles
grin
Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by jaymejate: 2:25pm On Apr 22, 2017
What about their Local pilots flying with no Airport

3 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by bestlyAB(m): 2:27pm On Apr 22, 2017
Please give us pictures of the places now

2 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by Noble855: 2:28pm On Apr 22, 2017
dammy13:
Benin City is the stunning capital of Edo state. It’s the center of Nigeria’s rubber industry and processing palm nuts for oil is also an important traditional industry there. There many interesting things to explore in this historic and cultural city. Jumia Travel , the leading online travel agency, shares 5 interesting things about Benin City.

The Royal Oba’s Palace

Really, what’s more interesting than a palace? In truth, no vacation or visit to Benin City is complete without a visit to this cultural and historical splendor. The Royal Oba’s Palace is at the heart of the city and a repository of Benin crafts. It’s really a cultural and historic ‘goldmine’ with interesting ancient adornments and ornaments that are sincerely a delight to explore.

The Benin Moat

You’ve probably heard this name once or twice and wondered what exactly it was. The Benin Moat also known as ‘Iya’ is one of the largest man made earthwork in the world. The Benin Moat was actually used as a defensive fortification for the Ancient Benin City and its archaeology is recognized as something that is indeed admirable. However, the monument has in recent times been described as a ‘neglected monument in search of a rescuer’. Nevertheless, it’s still a truly interesting feature of the city and a testament to the ingenuity and engineering acumen of the old Benin Kingdom.

Igun-Eronmwon Quarters

It’s also called Igun Street and is listed as a Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO. The quarters is home to brass/bronze casting industries in Benin City and gives an opportunity to witness bronze casting in its various stages and buy any piece of your choice. It’s the home guild of Benin Bronze casters with various popular bronze works of kings, queens, other notable royalties and other artistic motif to explore.

Igue Festival

This is the most popular festival in the city and is where the Oba celebrates the history and culture of his people as he blesses the land and the people. The festival is typically celebrated at a time between Christmas and New year and it involves traditional dances, a mock battle and a procession to the palace to reaffirm loyalty to and respect for the Oba. The festival is typically an annual cycle of rituals and rites, and is used as a platform by the Edo people to display their rich culture and tradition.

Revelation Tourist Palazzo

A place with an interesting name indeed; the palazzo has been described as a place the history of Nigeria comes alive and for cultural enthusiasts is ‘the heartbeat of culture in Nigeria’. It’s a privately owned museum and tourist center put together by music maestro Prof. Victor Uwaifo. There are different exhibition points at this palazzo and each one extensively treats a specific subject, from music to culture, telling different sides of the Binis. It’s an educative and culturally enriching site to explore.

http://fabinfos.com/5-interesting-things-about-benin-city/

. My state, my home

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by frubben(m): 2:28pm On Apr 22, 2017
Notin sweet for Benin, very boring place. Only hotels and night club including different caliber of church na full dere not to meention corner corner school

3 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by skimmy005: 2:28pm On Apr 22, 2017
I love ma city, proud BENIN boi,

2 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by olagamalin(m): 2:31pm On Apr 22, 2017
I'm serving here ...and the people are far from friendly. The Sellers et Conductors always trying to play fast one on corpers. Truth is ....I can't wait to leave. It's times like this I truly cherish where I'm coming from. #Mypiece

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by Sapeleb0y(m): 2:31pm On Apr 22, 2017
Tenim47:
their guys smoke igbo
their gals na olosho
wat else

GBAM

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by kunlesufyan(m): 2:31pm On Apr 22, 2017
Misskaycee21:
You forgot 1 interesting fact

BENIN (Edo) women grin
They're capable of tying a Man down to the point of forgetting his family cry undecided undecided undecided
Fear Edo women
For a woman to say this, I believe..

3 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by pharoah7(m): 2:34pm On Apr 22, 2017
B-side..rocks
Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by bemyguest(f): 2:34pm On Apr 22, 2017
Drienzia:
Life in Edo is just like living in Sambisa
..Talking from experience, 6 out of every 10 youths in the state er either cultists or touts... I never wished to stay/visit that state again. The couple of years I spent there was really bad experience. A state were u can't walk with your phone in your hands, were telling youths "Good morning" is an offence. People die everyday cause of cultism... Spits

You must be a cultist to have experienced all the above. Benin is well off without urchins like u. Smh!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by Alphamale2017(m): 2:35pm On Apr 22, 2017
ritababe:
ok
benin babe, f-back
Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by Dera25(m): 2:37pm On Apr 22, 2017
kayceerilyn:
I've been schooling in Uniben for four years now but I've not been to anywhere listed there.... Graduation goals
Ha you missed a lot, during my four years stay in uniben I virtually knew everywhere in Benin. Benin is good oo don't mind those bad bele people that is talking trash against Benin. I love Benin and I wish to reside there after my youth service this year

3 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by ritababe(f): 2:40pm On Apr 22, 2017
Benekruku:

The headquarters and highest population in numbers I stated grin grin grin
u nor well

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 22, 2017
all this people will just jump on any edo thread and out of ignorance and type trash, as if there are no witches in their tribe
note;before you quote to counter, state your tribe so I can tell you the evils peculiar with your tribe

5 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by neocortex: 2:41pm On Apr 22, 2017
Misskaycee21:
You forgot 1 interesting fact

BENIN (Edo) women grin
They're capable of tying a Man down to the point of forgetting his family cry undecided undecided undecided
Fear Edo women

Please where are you from ?
Don't forget there are equally evil acts in your village.

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by kayceerilyn(f): 2:42pm On Apr 22, 2017
Dera25:

Ha you missed a lot, during my four years stay in uniben I virtually knew everywhere in Benin. Benin is good oo don't mind those bad bele people that is talking trash against Benin. I love Benin and I wish to reside there after my youth service this year
Really, I have not graduated yet na.. Until July.. So let me say I still have time to explore..

But I wonder why you want to settle in Benin. I for one cannot stay in Benin.. I consider it boring and unexciting as compared to Lagos or other cities

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by abtallest24(m): 2:43pm On Apr 22, 2017
op you know try at all what of the witches and wizard dont they deserve to be mentioned? tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by tejaylo11: 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2017
Idiots online,tell me UR state let me open ur page
Mtchwww

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by F2G2G(m): 2:47pm On Apr 22, 2017
Drienzia:
..Talking from experience, 6 out of every 10 youths in the state er either cultists or touts... I never wished to stay/visit that state again. The couple of years I spent there was really bad experience. A state were u can't walk with your phone in your hands, were telling youths "Good morning" is an offence. People die everyday cause of cultism... Spits
Baba u can lie for Africa ehn

5 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 22, 2017
Idiotsz like you
Chrisozone:
* everybody is a private jet owner and a pilot

* 95% of the houses are owned by landladies

*the ugly governors

Etc....

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by ishowdotgmail(m): 2:52pm On Apr 22, 2017
My service should be in Benin ooo by God's grace

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by F2G2G(m): 2:52pm On Apr 22, 2017
frubben:
Notin sweet for Benin, very boring place. Only hotels and night club including different caliber of church na full dere not to meention corner corner school
Guy u dull reash liver, wetin dey make place dey lively no be clubs? U don't even know what's called boring.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by czarina(f): 2:53pm On Apr 22, 2017
pharoah7:
Uwazaga
Epa Wehdone O

1 Like

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by DUMCHRIS(m): 2:57pm On Apr 22, 2017
I love Benin city is a cool place even though you may have bad elements or two. It is better than staying in the East. Land is fairly cheap especially at the outskirt such as sapele road, and its environs. Food is relatively cheaper and you see original goods more than fake ones as their marketers do all this London sales stuff unlike ...... Mind u am from Delta

6 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by nickxtra(m): 2:58pm On Apr 22, 2017
I hope to have a house in Benin someday. Life in Benin as a young gentle man brought out the hardness, ruggedness and dexterity in me. I love Benin, thanks to the care from Evans Abura, D1, Nosa kolo, Osas raga, Collins Ihondor, Nosa Black, Romeo, Pako, Ehime, Osayi, the Osulas and Onaghinors of Lagos street, Gladys and friends who were always there for me, Sarah, Edith, mama Eseosa, FR, Emperor, Tessy, my Oluku, Ekosodin, Ugbowo ( Omolete), TV Road, Wire Rd, Siluko and Ekenwan Rd friends. I will never forget you all.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by gurunlocker: 2:59pm On Apr 22, 2017
thesicilian:
Are you a nursery school kid?

Stupid question.... Is everyone living in Benin? How hard is it to add a picture to make the article more interesting?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by Inception(m): 3:03pm On Apr 22, 2017
JuanJO:
I taught dey are only good at olosho work
JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER ABI?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by paddyofboss(m): 3:04pm On Apr 22, 2017
Drienzia:
Lol it will teach u street life n how to survive in such situations
Re: 5 Interesting Things About Benin City by LoveJesus87(m): 3:05pm On Apr 22, 2017
Chrisozone:
* everybody is a private jet owner and a pilot

* 95% of the houses are owned by landladies

*the ugly governors

Etc....
buhahahahahahaha grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The N4.5 Billion Underpass Project In Kano (photos) / Car Somersaults In Obadare, Lagos, Pregnant Woman Killed (Photos) / Man Strips To Demand A Refund From Airpeace, Today, After Missing Flight - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.