Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,588 members, 7,958,819 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:21 AM

South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife (5152 Views)

75-Year-Old Woman Marries A 27yr Old Man...says 'love Has No Age Limit' / Zuma And Wives / Jacob Zuma 'fathers 20th Child With Friend's Daughter' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 04, 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8434865.stm

South Africa's President Jacob Zuma has married his third wife.

Senior figures from the ruling ANC, the trade union movement and the Communist Party attended a day of festivities alongside his family and friends.

Mr Zuma, a Zulu, was meant to marry his fiancee Thobeka Mabhija, 36, last year but the wedding was postponed because of Mr Zuma's political commitments.

Correspondents say Mr Zuma's belief in the traditional practice of polygamy has divided South Africans.

Some support him but many younger people believe it should have no place in a modern society.

Under Zulu tradition, Mr Zuma's two current wives are supposed to approve of the new wife and attend the wedding ceremony.

It has also emerged that Mr Zuma, 67, is expected to take a fourth wife but no date has been set.

His new fiancee, Gloria Bongi Ngema, last week brought umbondo (wedding gifts) to the Zuma family, reports say.

This ceremony is the last traditional event before the wedding and is done after ilobolo (dowry) has been paid to the bride's family.

Hive of activity

On Sunday the president's office released a statement confirming the wedding, saying: "The traditional wedding of President Jacob Zuma and Thobeka Mabhija tomorrow, 4 January, is a private family ceremony."

The office asked journalists to "allow the family the privacy that they are entitled to".

South African media reported that Mr Zuma's home in Nkandla, in the province of KwaZulu-Natal, was a hive of activity in the run-up to the ceremony.

Large tents were erected to accommodate guests, some of whom were seen arriving in a number of buses on Monday.

Several cows, sheep and goats were slaughtered for the wedding feast.

Locals including Mr Zuma were dressed in traditional Zulu attire - mostly made from animal skin.

When Mr Zuma was inaugurated as president in May, speculation was rife about who would be the first lady.

He has attended some high-profile events with all his wives, including Ms Mabhija.

Mr Zuma, who has 19 children - three with Ms Mabhija - paid ilobolo to the Mabhija family two years ago.

It is his fifth wedding - he married his first wife Sizakele Khumalo-Zuma in 1973, and his second wife, Nompumelelo Ntuli-Zuma, two years ago.

He is also divorced from Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.

One of his earlier wives, Kate Mantsho-Zuma, died in 2000.

Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by JeSoul(f): 5:03pm On Jan 04, 2010
As much as I despise polygamy . . . it is his perogative and the women do not seem to mind either so that is their business.

However, for the leader of a major country trying to claw its way out of the dark ages, it doesn't set a good example. But what would one expect from a country that is withering away with one of the highest AIDs infection rates, but yet, still saw it a priority to legalize prostitution in anticipation of the upcoming world cup?  tongue
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by debosky(m): 5:10pm On Jan 04, 2010
5 wives in his life time, 19 children?

What else do you expect from a man who thinks washing your genitals after sex prevents HIV? undecided

South Africa is indeed a democracy grin
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by JeSoul(f): 5:22pm On Jan 04, 2010
debosky:

5 wives in his life time, 19 children?

What else do you expect from a man who thinks washing your focal places after sex prevents HIV? undecided

South Africa is indeed a democracy grin
^^^ Lol let Mpele come and catch you  grin
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by Mpele(m): 7:32am On Jan 05, 2010
Yes indeed we're a true democratic state! We have space for traditionalists! The question is I never hear people laughing at the Saudi King who have more than 3 wifes! This is democracy at work, want to marry 10 wives its okay! Want to marry another man its okay!

I don't see the fuuny side of this!
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by RSA(m): 11:14am On Jan 05, 2010
Mpele:

Yes indeed we're a true democratic state! We have space for traditionalists! The question is I never hear people laughing at the Saudi King who have more than 3 wifes! This is democracy at work, want to marry 10 wives its okay! Want to marry another man its okay!
I don't see the fuuny side of this!

That's why I am so proud to be South African,we not only say we tolerate other poeple's cultures or beliefs but we also respect them,aslong as it's done according to the law of the republic.Jews,Muslim,Christians are all neigbours in SA,and all practise their religions whithout any fear.
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by Excellent7(m): 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2010
This might be news to the west! but not news to us.
It's not a South African phenomenon, it happens in naija too and does not have anything to do with democracy. The fellows involved are adults and have made their choices.
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by Remii(m): 12:58pm On Jan 05, 2010
OBJ has about 12 wives
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by Mpele(m): 1:39pm On Jan 05, 2010
@excellent: good point, I don't see anything funny about this!
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by MyJoe: 4:32pm On Jan 05, 2010
This Zuma sha! grin

More seriously speaking, polygamy is only unacceptable in Western tradition. Even then, some Western countries are now recognising polygynous marriages. There is no religion I know of that expressly repudiates it. I think it is okay when the parties are comfortable with it. Besides, one can adduce several social reasons why polygamy makes sense.
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by bawomolo(m): 9:59pm On Jan 05, 2010
homeboy is putting in work. esin baba.
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by naliakar: 11:47pm On Jan 05, 2010
[img][/img]

Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by naliakar: 11:48pm On Jan 05, 2010
I love the free spirit of the President of RSA

[img][/img]

Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma Marries Third Wife by naliakar: 11:49pm On Jan 05, 2010
[img][/img]

(1) (Reply)

Obama Leaking Icecream With Daughter / Kenya's Megaprojects: What Can $50 Billion Do For A Country? CNN / Biden, Other World Leaders Are Given Microphone 'condoms' At UN Amid COVID Fears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.