Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,777 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport (14035 Views)

Two Airplanes Collide At Lagos Airport / Interstate Travel: We May Increase Fares, Says NURTW / Tweaking Your Travel Routes and Time For Cheap Fares/budget travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 26, 2017
Local airlines yesterday increased ticket fares to take maximum advantage of high passenger demand on some domestic routes. The increase, which is as high as 100 and 200 per cent on some airlines, was influenced by the shortage of flights available, especially on the Lagos and Abuja routes.

The development left several passengers stranded at the Lagos airport, forcing some of them to travel by road. There was an unusual heavy presence of air travellers at both General Aviation Terminal (GAT) and Murtala Muhammed Airport II (MMA2) terminal, in Lagos, quite typical of the period of fuel scarcity. Passengers and travel agents alike were noticed shuttling from one airline to another to see which had seats available and at affordable prices.

At about 2p.m, Officials of airlines like Air Peace, Med-View and Dana Air said all Abuja flights were fully booked. Scores of travel agencies were, however, returning with flight tickets for passengers that could pay high fees.

An economy class ticket, Abuja one-way, was sold for between N60, 000–N70, 000, as against N23, 000 and N30, 000 at maximum. Business class ticket went for an average of N90, 000. Arik was, however, selling the minimum of about N45, 000 for economy class and N65, 000 for business on Lagos-Abuja route yesterday.

A travel agent, Yinusa, said the airlines have in the last three days raised fares because of the high passenger demand. He confirmed that passengers have been buying despite the hike. He added: “It is not our fault. Official rate from the airlines for Abuja is N51, 800 (economy) and we too must make small profit. That explains why I am selling for N60, 000. You cannot get ticket on the counter; no seat available. Seats are scarce these days. Even all first and second flights (Lagos-Abuja) are already fully booked,” he said.

It will be recalled that domestic travel operations had since last weekend turned chaotic with the grounding of three Air Peace aircraft out of the 10 in its fleet.

Air Peace currently has the largest market share of domestic passenger traffic in the country. With multiple rescheduling and cancellations on Air Peace schedule nationwide, there has been a chain-reaction across the industry with traffic pull to other operators that struggling with low capacity.

Chief Executive Officer of Air Peace, Allen Onyema, said each of the grounded aircraft executes about eight flights per day and in total, the development means 24 flights disrupted every day.

SOURCE: http://www.trendcabal.com/2017/04/airlines-raise-fares-amid-flight.html?m=1

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by Lilaex: 10:10am On Apr 26, 2017
E don happen i say e don happen

Ftc
Any way bk to topic na ppl way day fly e consin. Wat is my own

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by SalamRushdie: 10:11am On Apr 26, 2017
The country is failing on the daily yet Buhari is fiddling and not even healthy enough.. During his last tenure Airline ticketing became a tout affair being run by illiterate mallams and now we are back there with Tickets not available at the counters but in hands of black market mallams

25 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by flyca: 10:11am On Apr 26, 2017
Sai Buhari.

Mucheche mucheche cheesy cheesy

I hope Buhari lives on. I hope he contests again and win the 2019 election and rule this country till 2023! Nigerians only learn the hard way. By the time he is finished with this country, we will learn to vote our leaders based on competency and not based on religious or tribal sentiments!

For now, let's enjoy "change" tongue

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by liposuction123: 10:12am On Apr 26, 2017
everything going wrong in this zoo.

8 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by kolikay(m): 10:12am On Apr 26, 2017
Wao
Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by TRAY2(m): 10:13am On Apr 26, 2017
Na wa o, Na to follow train now be the option

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by admax(m): 10:13am On Apr 26, 2017
I still don't understand why people can't book their flights online, it is cheaper and more convenient than over the counter or agents.

60k - 70k is very outrageous!

9 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by Tenim47(m): 10:13am On Apr 26, 2017
i don even knw wat to say

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by ayusco85(m): 10:13am On Apr 26, 2017
RIP Nigeria. Truly there was a country

5 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by VampireeM(f): 10:14am On Apr 26, 2017
GOD IS GOOD MOTORS(gigm) TI TAKE OVER! cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by smartty68(m): 10:14am On Apr 26, 2017
Every Nigerian is an opportunist... They're taking advantage of the rise in demand... Left for me a lone abi road transport don finish

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by ayusco85(m): 10:14am On Apr 26, 2017
liposuction123:
everything going wrong in this zoo.

At least I ve to agree with you on this. Nigeria is truly a Zoo

9 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by ezinnelity(f): 10:14am On Apr 26, 2017
it's well even in d well..
Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by tribalistseun: 10:14am On Apr 26, 2017
Buhari is useless, he should be in jail for wasting our time in this country

4 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by Arewa12: 10:14am On Apr 26, 2017
Lobatan.... God help us

Check out the Trending and Beautiful Asymmetrical Bob

http://hairstyle27..com/2017/04/trending-and-beautiful-asymmetrical-bob.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by loomer: 10:15am On Apr 26, 2017
See how them make flying be like one special thing.

All because no suitable alternative

4 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by SalamRushdie: 10:16am On Apr 26, 2017
Buhari should resign now for the interest of our economy, there seem to be no control and chaos has taken hold in every sector

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by smartty68(m): 10:17am On Apr 26, 2017
admax:
I still don't understand why people can't book their flights online, it is cheaper and more convenient than over the counter or agents.

60k - 70k is very outrageous!
Over the counter and off counter, this new increments affects both...

5 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by flyca: 10:18am On Apr 26, 2017
In 2015, I asked many of my friends. "Can you vote Buhari as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees for your own company". Most will just stare blank and divert topic. Hehehehe.

We were tired of GEJ. I agree but was this contestant a better replacement? Anyway lemme not type too much.

Sai Baba crew, please come and take over cheesy

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by XerXers: 10:18am On Apr 26, 2017
any reason for the grounding
Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by Simeony007(m): 10:19am On Apr 26, 2017
Am not surprise even witch craft is expensive you have to pay with something expensive to fly like your manhood or your loved ones depending on how far you want to travel

1 Like

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by ephi123(f): 10:20am On Apr 26, 2017
It's the era of CHANGE unfortunately.

Negative change angry

Things keep retrogressing under this man. What exactly is moving on in Nigeria these days?!

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by maxiuc(m): 10:20am On Apr 26, 2017
when Abc transport and young shall grow still dey operate

i was to travel to lagos on sunday against monday for an interview
mehn when i heard about the hike
tooor i enter night bus from Abj to lag 7k
Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by flyca: 10:22am On Apr 26, 2017
Sai Change
Sai Body language grin

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by petrelli07: 10:25am On Apr 26, 2017
SalamRushdie:
The country is failing on the daily yet Buhari is fiddling and not even healthy enough.. During his last tenure Airline ticketing became a tout affair being run by illiterate mallams and now we are back there with Tickets not available at the counters but in hands of black market mallams
Guy I'm sure if you can't perform in bed you'll blame the President. Did you even read the story or are you just programmed to wail??

6 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by Smellymouth: 10:26am On Apr 26, 2017
Cc : mimzyy... tongue
Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by Originalsly: 10:35am On Apr 26, 2017
Complaining instead of protesting and shutting down the airport. This would be the new norm.... ticket auction... passengers held to ransom. .. if the airlines can do it what would stop the buses from doing same?

2 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by admax(m): 10:36am On Apr 26, 2017
False!

smartty68:

Over the counter and off counter, this new increments affects both...
Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by SalamRushdie: 10:40am On Apr 26, 2017
petrelli07:

Guy I'm sure if you can't perform in bed you'll blame the President. Did you even read the story or are you just programmed to wail??

I have always maintained large population with low IQ is part of the problem we face as a people ...So you can't decipher that Buhari's poor leadership brought about a harsh economy which affected the ability of airlines to profit as well ass pay lease creditors as at when due which then led to many aircraft being recalled by leasing firms and the eventual packing up Arik and Aero (who now just run a skeletal service) ..This lack of aircraft in turn put pressure on the remaining airlines (which don't even have much capacity by the way) there making demand to exceed available times schedules and seats thereby leading to glut which middle men in conjuction with corrupt airline ticketing officers have taken advantage to create a black market for the purpose of quick profit.... Try and use Ur brain for once
..On another note yes bad leadership can actually affect a citizens ability to have an erection if you don't know Stress and uncertainty is the primary cause of erectile dysfunction in men followed by diabetes and high blood pressure

12 Likes

Re: Airlines Raise Fares Amid Flight Shortage At Lagos Airport by gameaddict(m): 10:45am On Apr 26, 2017
Too much demand compared to supply.

How does this make Nigeria a zoo? How does this mean Buhari is ineffective?

If anything, it points to opportunities for expansion and new investment. Regulation could help maintain current prices but at what cost? We are already complaining about quality of service which points to a possibility that airlines need funds to provide better services.

Nigerians need to learn basic economics before joining Nairaland or even gaining access to the internet.

At the end of the day, if the industry is competitive, the market will stabilize but if it doesn't, the govt can always step in after properly researching the reasons e.g. are airlines colluding?

Its not enough to pass exams and have phd. Learn to apply knowledge and seek insight into the real world.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 30) / NCAA Withdraws License Of Three Pilots Over Excess Alcohol Intake / Free Train Ride On Lagos-abeokuta Yet To Commence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.