Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,221 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Igbo Men Casual Attire? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Men Casual Attire? (4165 Views)

Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Wears Igwe Attire (Photos) / Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) / African American Man To Return To Umuahia, Nigeria As He Rocks Igbo Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Nobody: 12:03am On Apr 27, 2017
I have a few questions pertaining to cultural attire of the Igbo.

I'm not familiar with Igbo culture. I am African American from Mississippi. I took my DNA ancestry test with Ancestry.com and from a lot of research and emails and confirmation I found that on my father side I am Igbo, 3rd generation and I'm proud of it because now I know where my people are from. I would like to know what are casual clothes igbo men wear? I see a lot of head ware as well but I know some are for a certain status and wouldn't want to get something that isn't meant for me to wear, also how could I become more involved in my culture and would I be accepted even though i wasn't born in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Angeleena(m): 12:28am On Apr 27, 2017
Jcolston89:

I'm not familiar with Igbo culture. I am African American from Mississippi. I took my DNA ancestry test with Ancestry.com and from a lot of research and emails and confirmation I found that on my father side I am Igbo, 3rd generation and I'm proud of it because now I know where my people are from. I would like to know what are casual clothes igbo men wear? I see a lot of head ware as well but I know some are for a certain status and wouldn't want to get something that isn't meant for me to wear, also how could I become more involved in my culture and would I be accepted even though i wasn't born in Nigeria?
n
hmmm....welcome to the land of the rising sun..

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by bigfrancis21: 7:26am On Apr 27, 2017
Jcolston89:

3rd generation Igbo? Did your Igbo ancestor migrate to the US recently? Any idea?
Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by gustav25: 6:01pm On Apr 27, 2017
damn it ...can you guys just provide the man with the infos he needs without al this jagbajantis questions?
Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by gustav25: 6:10pm On Apr 27, 2017
isiagu clothing

Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by gustav25: 6:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
here

Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Apr 28, 2017
gustav25:
damn it ...can you guys just provide the man with the infos he needs without al this jagbajantis questions?
thank you, I was told that the red cap was sacred. What's the meaning behind it?
Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Apr 28, 2017
bigfrancis21:

3rd generation Igbo? Did your Igbo ancestor migrate to the US recently? Any idea?

4th & 5th generation, my family didn't mix with white people like that so my DNA test came back 91% African. Highest percent 29% Nigeria and 16% Senegal and then it spreads all over Africa.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by gustav25: 8:25pm On Apr 28, 2017
Jcolston89:
thank you, I was told that the red cap was sacred. What's the meaning behind it?
in its original sense ,it is for a chief ,nze na ozo...but you are allowed to wear it as a clothing material
Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Probz(m): 1:26am On Apr 29, 2017
Traditional men tie wrapper. We're into cross dressing in the east. grin
Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 29, 2017
gustav25:
in its original sense ,it is for a chief ,nze na ozo...but you are allowed to wear it as a clothing material

I understand now
Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 29, 2017
Probz:
Traditional men tie wrapper. We're into cross dressing in the east. grin

Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Probz(m): 12:47pm On Apr 29, 2017
Jcolston89:

That comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Isiagu attire will do just fine. Follow nkaigbo and Igbo Amaka (The Igbo Monitor) on Instagram for inspiration. They'll show you how we dress on traditional occasions.
Re: Igbo Men Casual Attire? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Apr 29, 2017
Probz:
That comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Isiagu attire will do just fine. Follow nkaigbo and Igbo Amaka (The Igbo Monitor) on Instagram for inspiration. They'll show you how we dress on traditional occasions.

Ok, I go to my naming ceremony in Staunton, VA

(1) (Reply)

An Interview between Southern and Northern Nigerians / Write The Nigerian National Pledge In Your Local Language / Who Are Eke, Orie,afo Na Nkwo: Agwu, Amadioha, Ogwugwu And Ala?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.