Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,592 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:00 AM

Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism (1774 Views)

Kano Bomb-Blasted Bus-Park To Be Converted To Islamic-School / Boko Haram’s Cameroon Connection: Fear Of Islamic Extremism In Cameroon: Part 1 / Nigeria - Borno Debates Law 'to Stop Islamic Extremism' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 7:47pm On Jan 05, 2010
Islamic extremism has been a common trend underlying political instability and a retarded growth rate in many states in Northern Nigeria, in as much as i believe Islam to be a religion of peace as preached, we cannot however deny the fact that many young minds are being brainwashed to live life as extremist and might even go to extent of taking another man's life because of their religious point of view.

I want to believe that this is in large part against Islamic teachings and the root stemmed from political selfish ideas of using young minds to cause disturbance in states and effectively on the country as a whole.
We all witnessed the Port Harcourt crises, the Boko Haram saga which left hundreds dead, and the most recent Bauchi bloodshed, this thread has been opened to welcome ideas on how this trend can be curbed particularly among Northerners!

Imagine them throwing tantrums because they feel western education is a sin, for pete's sake, who is teaching such ideas?

Left to me i will propose that any Religious leader {both Christian and Islamic} encouraging extremism should be left to rot away in prison

Pls note: this is not a thread to debate religion, you can find tht in the Religion section, this is a thread to discuss how elements of brainwashing can be flushed out of the society
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by redsun(m): 7:54pm On Jan 05, 2010
People perish for lack of knowledge,Nigeria is swimming in the storm of ignorance and ignorance breeds macabre
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by puskin: 7:58pm On Jan 05, 2010
I fink we should just go our seperate ways then they can kill themselves for all I care.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 8:09pm On Jan 05, 2010
puskin:

I fink we should just go our seperate ways then they can kill themselves for all I care.

Let's be realistic, that doesn't provide a solution, extremist exist in the south for all i care, they aren't just as prominent

And for people advocating separation of the territories have you considered the economic implication on the country as a whole?
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 8:11pm On Jan 05, 2010
redsun:

People perish for lack of knowledge,Nigeria is swimming in the storm of ignorance and ignorance breeds macabre

Could it be lack of knowledge? Umar the leg bomber was quite educated and well exposed
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by Gekko(m): 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2010
puskin:

I am just curious, have you pondered on what kind of consequences a separation will produce?  Are you prepared to live next door to angry neighbors with violent tendencies?
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 8:27pm On Jan 05, 2010
Gekko:

I am just curious, have you pondered on what kind of consequences a separation will produce?  Are you prepared to live next door to angry neighbors with violent tendencies?

well but can you think of plausible solutions in sight?
Is it reasonable enough to propose that parents who will rather send their kids to Arabic schools than western schools be sanctioned?
Is it reasonable enough to propose long jail terms to individual that fight in the name of Religion?
what about Alfa's that teach such beliefs?
What about Godfathers that sponsor extremism?
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by redsun(m): 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2010
violent:

Could it be lack of knowledge? Umar the leg bomber was quite educated and well exposed

Most nigerians are "brainwashedly" educated,they are like robots,hence their unproductive nature,especially the offspring of the money miss roads,like obasanjo.

Real education is a way of life,survival.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 8:42pm On Jan 05, 2010
It bothers me when all someone can think of is "My God says i should kill you therefore am right to kill you. . . . and when i do, i get my fair chance with seven virgins"

I wonder how many virgins are there to go around in the first place
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by trueword: 8:44pm On Jan 05, 2010
violent:

Let's be realistic, that doesn't provide a solution, extremist exist in the south for all i care, they aren't just as prominent

And for people advocating separation of the territories have you considered the economic implication on the country as a whole?

What economic implications are you talking about? Nigeria is lagging in investments. The main place that has many investments in Lagos  while other places have just a few. Investments in the south will multiply if the northern and southern territories were separate because southerners really want to westernize.  Think of the way North and South Korea are. They used to be one nation but once they split, South Korea was able to become a technology hub and one of the worlds strongest economies. The south has more to gain than lose by separating.

Gekko:

I am just curious, have you pondered on what kind of consequences a separation will produce?  Are you prepared to live next door to angry neighbors with violent tendencies?

We are already living in the same country will these people with violent tendencies. By separating we can at least employ some national defense to protect us instead of the current situation where they are free to roam around Nigeria and kill.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by redsun(m): 8:47pm On Jan 05, 2010
All religion are delirious,i always doubt the sanity of the devotedly religious people,some thing is amiss.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by Gekko(m): 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2010
trueword:

What economic implications are you talking about? Nigeria is lagging in investments. The main place that has many investments in Lagos  while other places have just a few. Investments in the south will multiply if the northern and southern territories were separate because southerners really want to westernize.  Think of the way North and South Korea are. They used to be one nation but once they split, South Korea was able to become a technology hub and one of the worlds strongest economies. The south has more to gain than lose by separating.

We are already living in the same country will these people with violent tendencies. By separating we can at least employ some national defense to protect us instead of the current situation where they are free to roam around Nigeria and kill.

What kind of national defense is going to protect you from a suicide bomber?
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by redsun(m): 8:52pm On Jan 05, 2010
I knew that when somalia was hit recently by suicide bomber,nigeria will just be a matter time.Islamisism strive in rogue states,at lowest ebb of societal decadence,it creeps up.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2010
redsun:

All religion are delirious,i always doubt the sanity of the devotedly religious people,some thing is amiss.

Religion is now being used as a tool. and it makes me shiver to think the country is only going to be worse off as a result of that, it removes the use of intelligence and free thinking
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 8:58pm On Jan 05, 2010
redsun:

I knew that when somalia was hit recently by suicide bomber,nigeria will just be a matter time.Islamisism strive in rogue states,at lowest ebb of societal decadence,it creeps up.

But can this be curbed? more and more Islamic extremist are thinking along the line of the wars fought by Mohammed, and they see any other persons without their beliefs as infidels who should be killed right away as commanded by their beliefs.

To think this is becoming popular in this time and age is ridiculous, how can this be stopped in NIGERIA?
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by puskin: 9:02pm On Jan 05, 2010
redsun:

Poverty brings about deep religious affiliations and tendencies.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by trueword: 9:08pm On Jan 05, 2010
Gekko:

What kind of national defense is going to protect you from a suicide bomber?

What's to prevent suicide bombing to begin now. People already get killed like animals. At least when the south is on its own the govt. may take some action to try to protect its citizens. If suicide bombing began now, the Nigerian govt. won't do anything. So, might as well have a govt. that will try to look after its citizens.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by Gekko(m): 9:18pm On Jan 05, 2010
trueword:

What's to prevent suicide bombing to begin now. People already get killed like animals. At least when the south is on its own the govt. may take some action to try to protect its citizens. If suicide bombing began now, the Nigerian govt. won't do anything. So, might as well have a govt. that will try to look after its citizens.

I'm sorry but there is no indication that our current leaders in the south care for its citizens.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 9:18pm On Jan 05, 2010
trueword:

What's to prevent suicide bombing to begin now. People already get killed like animals. At least when the south is on its own the govt. may take some action to try to protect its citizens.   If suicide bombing began now, the Nigerian govt. won't do anything. So, might as well have a govt. that will try to look after its citizens.

I don't believe Nigeria has gotten to that stage yet, i doubt if such can happen anytime soon on Nigerian soil,
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by bawomolo(m): 9:22pm On Jan 05, 2010
the only solution to such extremism is secular education and poverty alleviation.

what does yemen and nigeria have in common? poverty and illiteracy.   It would be wrong to attack Islam considering Islamic countries like turkey are peaceful. The constitution must be enforced at all costs, sharia law shouldn't be allowed to exist in a so-called secular country.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 9:27pm On Jan 05, 2010
bawomolo:

the only solution to such extremism is[b] secular education[/b] and poverty alleviation.

what does yemen and nigeria have in common? poverty and illiteracy. It would be wrong to attack Islam considering Islamic countries like turkey are peaceful.

well said

But how do you achieve a secular education when people preach, and fight against it?
I also don't believe poverty is a common cause, there is poverty in the south as well, Umar the leg bomber was not poor, and yet i believed before he was apprehended he probably preached extremism too
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by trueword: 9:30pm On Jan 05, 2010
violent:

I don't believe Nigeria has gotten to that stage yet, i doubt if such can happen anytime soon on Nigerian soil,

I'm not saying that Nigeria is at that stage. I'm saying that defending against things like that will be less likely to happen under the current Nigeria than in a southern nigeria country.

Gekko:

I'm sorry but there is no indication that our current leaders in the south care for its citizens.

Most of the current leaders don't care, but if there was a southern nigeria country that fought to secede, there would be a greater chance that the new leaders would be those with some sense of national pride. Keep in mind that most of the current people didn't win election fair and square so they are not the kind of people that wanted to win in order to better the lives of the citizens.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by Gekko(m): 9:32pm On Jan 05, 2010
bawomolo:

the only solution to such extremism is secular education and poverty alleviation.

what does yemen and nigeria have in common? poverty and illiteracy.   It would be wrong to attack Islam considering Islamic countries like turkey are peaceful.

I agree wholeheartedly. And this can only work if political and religious leaders of the North start being honest with their counterparts.  
They need to demystify their message and stop spreading fears and fantasies to individuals in the North.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by Gekko(m): 9:35pm On Jan 05, 2010
trueword:

I'm not saying that Nigeria is at that stage. I'm saying that defending against things like that will be less likely to happen under the current Nigeria than in a southern nigeria country.

Most of the current leaders don't care, but if there was a southern nigeria country that fought to secede, there would be a greater chance that the new leaders would be those with some sense of national pride. Keep in mind that most of the current people didn't win election fair and square so they are not the kind of people that wanted to win in order to better the lives of the citizens.

I get where you coming from but we shouldn't be so quick to throw away the baby with the bath water.  I rather live to experience an unified Nigeria prosper than a separation.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by bawomolo(m): 9:35pm On Jan 05, 2010
violent:

well said

But how do you achieve a secular education when people preach, and fight against it?
I also don't believe poverty is a common cause, there is poverty in the south as well, Umar the leg bomber was not poor, and yet i believed before he was apprehended he probably preached extremism too

doesn't the south have groups such as MEND,massob, opc etc who used poverty/marginalization as an excuse for violence?  We need to stop singling out the north as if the south is that much better.  We would continue to have religious extremism if religions leaders preach intolerance and call each other infidels or unbelievers.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by bawomolo(m): 9:37pm On Jan 05, 2010
Gekko:

I agree wholeheartedly. And this can only work if political and religious leaders of the North start being honest with their counterparts.  
They need to demystify their message and stop spreading fears and fantasies to individuals in the North.

but that's what gets votes in countries like Nigeria and kenya. It pays them to keep Nigerians ignorant.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by Gekko(m): 9:41pm On Jan 05, 2010
bawomolo:

but that's what gets votes in countries like Nigeria and kenya. It pays them to keep Nigerians ignorant.

So,at what point does it end? How can we turn the pages? Things can't continue like this forever.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 9:43pm On Jan 05, 2010
bawomolo:

doesn't the south have groups such as MEND,massob, opc etc who used poverty/marginalization as an excuse for violence?  We need to stop singling out the north as if the south is that much better.  We would continue to have religious extremism if religions leaders preach intolerance and call each other infidels or unbelievers.  

None of these groups use brainwashing techniques to achieve their overall objective and their activities, although violent is largely uncorrelated with terrorism  . . . if you brainwash a child, you take away his freedom to think for himself, and from all indications that's what is gaining ground in the north, children stay away from school because they teach western values
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by trueword: 9:48pm On Jan 05, 2010
Gekko:

I get where you coming from but we shouldn't be so quick to throw away the baby with the bath water.  I rather live to experience an unified Nigeria prosper than a separation.

If Nigeria can find a way to be unified and live in peace with eachother, then thats great. It's just that I get frustrated with what has been going on in Nigeria for many years and how its potential is being wasted. When I look at why things have been like this different things indicate that the northern oligarchy is a major reason for Nigeria's poor state. Initially as you may know there was the Southern Protectorate of Nigeria and the Northern Protectorate of Nigeria. I think that initially it was separate like that for a reason, until Britain decided that it had other plans.

Until the northerners become more tolerant of other religions and shys away from any islamic extremisms, Nigeria's breakup will be become inevitable.

bawomolo:

Its true that MEND, etc are using violence, but their is a difference between their reason for the violence and the northerners. If the FG were to pay attention to the region and develop it, just about all violence from those groups would stop. But how can the northern religious extremists be appeased. Many of them want Nigeria to become an Islamic state and that's just something that's not going to happen.

The Niger deltan's have a reason to be angry but I don't see what reason the northern extremists have.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by violent(m): 9:51pm On Jan 05, 2010
trueword:

If Nigeria can find a way to be unified and live in peace with eachother, then thats great. It's just that I get frustrated with what has been going on in Nigeria for many years and how its potential is being wasted. When I look at why things have been like this different things indicate that the northern oligarchy is a major reason for Nigeria's poor state. Initially as you may know there was the Southern Protectorate of Nigeria and the Northern Protectorate of Nigeria. I think that initially it was separate like that for a reason, until Britain decided that it had other plans.

Until the northerners become more tolerant of other religions and shys away from any islamic extremisms, Nigeria's breakup will be become inevitable.

Its true that MEND, etc are using violence, but their is a difference between their reason for the violence and the northerners. If the FG were to pay attention to the region and develop it, just about all violence from those groups would stop. But how can the northern religious extremists be appeased. Many of them want Nigeria to become an Islamic state and that's just something that's not going to happen.

The Niger deltan's have a reason to be angry but I don't see what reason the northern extremists have.

i doubt if anyone can put it better
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by bawomolo(m): 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2010
Gekko:

So,at what point does it end? How can we turn the pages? Things can't continue like this forever.

it has to start with their education and the media, what are school children in the north being taught and what do they listen to on their local radios or in the mosque?  

Like they do in Europe, The Nigerian government may need to start spying on mosques.
Re: Lasting Solution To Islamic Extremism by naijaway(m): 10:33pm On Jan 05, 2010
I feel this topic. Any extremist should be jailed for 20years or more; Every traditional chief or program should be disbanded and discontinued with their names in the history books saying not confirmed. Every state should not be allowed to use religious or traditional laws that can affect the national unity or in summary, inconsiderate to other people.

to be continued.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Threat To Humanity By Akure Monarch / July 1966 Coup Was Planned By Nationalists - - - - Study / Pictorial Population Of Igbos That Voted Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.