Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,877 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife (2767 Views)

Meet Two Sisters Married To Oba Ewuare Of Benin (Photos) / The Reason Why Oba Of Benin Banished Dr Ogiugo. / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 2:57pm On Apr 27, 2017
Following the showdown at a public function on Tuesday in Lagos between the Ooni of Ife, oba adeyeye and his Lagos counterpart, oba Akinolu; with the majority asking for the head of the latter for showing royal disrespect for the ancestral stool of the Yoruba patron, oduduwa, I am prompted to clarify from historical point of view why the castigated king should not be held irresponsible for his reservation to accord the ooni the respect other yoruban kings are historically deemed to accord to him, the ooni. please read on and reason with me.

The Name "LAGOS"

Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the
language of first European-settlers known
to visit the settlement, then already
inhabited by the Awori, in 1472. From
the first contacts with the region until the
early 20th century, another Portuguese
name for the city that was interchangeably
used was Onim, finally abandoned in
favor of Lagos.

Founding of Lagos

According to the oral history of Lagos, at
some point around 1300-1400 CE, the Oba
(King) of the Benin Empire heard from one
of his traders complaints about being
mistreated by the Awori who lived in the
area of current day Lagos. The Oba of Benin
then sent a trade expedition by sea to
engage with the Awori people, who
nonetheless declined to engage and
attacked the mission sent by Benin.
Upon hearing this as the mission returned
to Benin City , the Oba of Benin commanded
the assembling of a war expedition, led by
Ado, a prince of Benin, which headed to the
settlement of the Awori in current-day
Lagos, then called Eko by the Benin people,
and demanded an explanation.
On getting there, Ado and his army were
more than well received - the Awori from
Lagos asked Benin Prince Ado to stay there
and become their leader. Ado agreed, on
the condition that they surrendered their
sovereignty to the Oba of Benin, to which
the Awori people of Lagos agreed.
Upon hearing this, the Oba of Benin gave
his permission for Prince Ado and the
expedition to remain in Eko with the Awori.
The Oba of Benin later sent some of his
chiefs, including the Eletu Odibo, Obanikoro
and others, to assist Ado in the running of
Eko.

Lagos as a Tributary to
the Benin Empire

From the crowning of Ado as its first Oba,
Lagos (then called Eko) served as a major
center for slave-trade, from which then Oba
of Benin Ado and all of his successors for
over four centuries supported - until 1841,
when Oba Akitoye ascended to the throne of
Lagos and attempted to ban slave-trading.
Local merchants strongly opposed the
intended move, and deposed and exiled the
king, and installed Akitoye's brother Kosoko
as Oba.
At exile in Europe, Akitoye met with British
authorities, who had banned slave-trading
in 1807, and who therefore decided to
support the deposed Oba to regain his
throne. With the success of the British
intervention, in 1851 Akitoye was
reinstalled as Oba of Lagos. In practical
terms, however, British influence over the
kingdom had become absolute, and ten
years later, in 1861, Lagos was formally
annexed as a British colony.
Colonial Lagos as
capital of Nigeria
The British annexed Lagos as a colony in
1861. The remainder of the Benin Empire -
i.e., modern-day Nigeria - were seized by
the British in 1887, and when the British
established the Colony and Protectorate of
Nigeria in 1914, Lagos was declared its capital

CONCLUSION- it is obvious from the above narration that the oba of lagos obviously knows the history of his ancestors more than the ones calling for his head. and it is also obvious from the lack of emotions on the part of the well educated ooni that he understands the stance of oba akinolu on why he shouldn't expect the loyalty showered on him by other Yoruba leaders from him.
I am Cyracus Idinoba no'vhio'giso
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Arsenalholic(m): 3:02pm On Apr 27, 2017
Op get ready...

How this thread will end up

[img]https://media1./media/ljjGg3udR9ABi/giphy.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Celcius: 3:11pm On Apr 27, 2017
Arrant nonsense. Is this about loyalty or courtesy?
Didn't the Emir of Kano just meet with the Ooni of Ife in cordial and courteous manner?
This piece is highly misplaced.

7 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Swahili0(f): 3:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
make una allow this matter to die a natural death nah my afonjas people

e don do
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by schoolmaster: 3:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
quite inspiring, but are u also sure that this Same Oba of Lagos will accord the Oba of Benin the required homage if your historical analysis is true? because to me he appears too proud and arrogant.
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by inourcare: 3:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
Really?

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by neocortex: 3:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
Elagancy:
Following the showdown at a public function on Tuesday in Lagos between the Ooni of Ife, oba adeyeye and his Lagos counterpart, oba Akinolu; with the majority asking for the head of the latter for showing royal disrespect for the ancestral stool of the Yoruba patron, oduduwa, I am prompted to clarify from historical point of view why the castigated king should not be held irresponsible for his reservation to accord the ooni the respect other yoruban kings are historically deemed to accord to him, the ooni. please read on and reason with me.

The show off is a personal issue, if you know anything about Yoruba history you will know that the respect for Ooni's
stool is an heritage one not power-based. In fact their are many instances in history where Ooni and some yoruba
kings were at loggerhead, a popular one being the face of between the late Alaafin and the late Ooni.
Baghdad once conquered and ruled spain that doesn't make spain subservient to Baghdad, in fact, in modern
times most people who were once ruled view their conquerors as enemies to be treated with scorn not as superior.

Next time you should deploy better "theories" to prove your points instead of writing long epistles which adds nothing to the
discussion at hand.

3 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by ourema(f): 3:24pm On Apr 27, 2017
Oba atope! Ise!

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 3:36pm On Apr 27, 2017
neocortex:

The show off is a personal issue, if you know anything about Yoruba history you will know that the respect for Ooni's
stool is an heritage one not power-based. In fact their are many instances in history where Ooni and some yoruba
kings were at loggerhead, a popular one being the face of between the late Alaafin and the late Ooni.
Baghdad once conquered and ruled spain that doesn't make spain subservient to Baghdad, in fact, in modern
times most people who were once ruled view their conquerors as enemies to be treated with scorn not as superior.

Next time you should deploy better "theories" to prove your points instead of writing long epistles which adds nothing to the
discussion at hand.
if I may ask do u know why de old time rift btw de alafin of Oyo and ooni of ife exists. lemme telk u if u don't
oranmiyan, after leaving ile binu which is present day Benin, he went to establish his own empire, de Oyo empire. wen after his fathers death he was called upon to take over de seat of ife, he decline since he preferred to head de Oyo empire dat he founded to inheriting his fathers seat. so he put his fathers servant whose name was ooni which means escapee on de seat and appoint someone from Oyo to go and deputise (which literally mean to check and balance de activities of dis servqnt-cum-leader). dis deputy was named de obalufe of ife which means de king of ifeland of ife to dis day. use ur head to put two and two together. if u doubt, Google and wikipedia is ur friend
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 3:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
schoolmaster:
quite inspiring, but are u also sure that this Same Oba of Lagos will accord the Oba of Benin the required homage if your historical analysis is true? because to me he appears too proud and arrogant.
pride and arrogance are fine qualities of a king. kings don't give respect, they are meant to be given. and u can't have de grace to disgrace de oba of Benin, cos he knows who he is and can't be seen shaking hands wit ppl at public function. he rules from his palace and cannot be tricked out of his kibgdom by societal functions and or societal gain. I hope u are familiar wit de Nigeria saying dat oba no dey go transfer. yea. dats de oba of Benin. he doesn't leave his kingdom and empire
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by neocortex: 3:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
Elagancy:
if I may ask do u know why de old time rift btw de alafin of Oyo and ooni of ife exists
Can't you just stay on topic for once ?
If I told you about a rift that happened between awujale and Ooni,
I am sure you will find another benin-linked story to tell instead of defending
your original claim.

6 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 3:50pm On Apr 27, 2017
Celcius:
Arrant nonsense. Is this about loyalty or courtesy?
Didn't the Emir of Kano just meet with the Ooni of Ife in cordial and courteous manner?
This piece is highly misplaced.
kings are not meant to be corteous
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 3:53pm On Apr 27, 2017
neocortex:

Can't you just stay on topic for once ?
If I told you about a rift that happened between awujale and Ooni,
I am sure you will find another benin-linked story to tell instead of defending
your original claim.
no matter how forgotten history may be, it can't be changed. no matter how long lie lasts. it doesn't make it de truth.
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 5:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
Elagancy:
no matter how forgotten history may be, it can't be changed. no matter how long lie lasts. it doesn't make it de truth.
What is this one inferring?OBA OF LAGOS THAT WAS A SON OF ALAAGBA, AN IJESHA MAN. WHICH TOOTHLESS BENIN ARE YOU INFERRING? IS IT THE ONE BORDERING NIGERIA or WHICH ONE? YOU ARE A LEARNER . HE HAS NO POWER BEYOND IDUGANRAN AND SUBURB. CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN IGNORANCE. OBA AKIOLU has blundered.

8 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2017
Olu317:
What is this one inferring?OBA OF LAGOS THAT WAS A SON OF ALAAGBA, AN IJESHA MAN. WHICH TOOTHLESS BENIN ARE YOU INFERRING? IS IT THE ONE BORDERING NIGERIA or WHICH ONE? YOU ARE A LEARNER . HE HAS NO POWER BEYOND IDUGANRAN AND SUBURB. CONTINUE TO WALLOW IN IGNORANCE. OBA AKIOLU has blundered.
my dear, Google the history of Lagos and also visit ur library if u don't trust Google
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2017
Elagancy:
my dear, Google the history of Lagos and also visit ur library if u don't trust Google
which part of history of Eko do you know? The Lagos I know or which of the Lagos are you inferring? You are the one that need know the bitter truth. I have mentioned his patrilineal father's name. So, I expect you to find answer to the real truth.

5 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by aljharem(m): 6:29pm On Apr 27, 2017
First of all I am from Lagos royal household and have one of the Benin last name like obido eletu etc.

What that said, there is NO WAY ON EARTH THAT WE WOULD BE LOYAL TO OBA OF BENIN UNLESS HE IS LOYAL TO THE OONI.

Benin should know that they cannot eat their cake and have it. One go turn deserves another.

Just like other yorubas, itsekiri etc we Lagos island indigenes are loyal to the Ooni and Alafin. Until benin gets their head screwed on and read their history, they should expect nothing. Silly ego

9 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 8:09pm On Apr 27, 2017
aljharem:
First of all I am from Lagos royal household and have one of the Benin last name like obido eletu etc.

What that said, there is NO WAY ON EARTH THAT WE WOULD BE LOYAL TO OBA OF BENIN UNLESS HE IS LOYAL TO THE OONI.

Benin should know that they cannot eat their cake and have it. One go turn deserves another.
thank u for ur first statement which proves dat de history dat oba of lagos royal household originated from Benin
and as for ur loyalty, de oba of Benin is not concerned abt ur loyalty as it has been taken away by de British a long time ago. but it doesn't change de truth.
as for de oba of Benin and de ooni of ife, there is an ancestral saying of mine dat translates "igodomigo(Benin) gave uhe (ife) a prince and uhe gave igodomigo a king"
go and read ur history lagosians
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by YonkijiSappo: 8:33pm On Apr 27, 2017
lol

Benin orphans trying to insert themselves into Yoruba issue to remain relevant...

LOL...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 8:38pm On Apr 27, 2017
Olu317:
which part of history of Eko do you know? The Lagos I know or which of the Lagos are you inferring? You are the one that need know the bitter truth. I have mentioned his patrilineal father's name. So, I expect you to find answer to the real truth.
unfortunately, I'm not talking abt de eko dat u know because u were not born then, I'm talking abt wen men were men. here's de list if de obas of lagos, be humbled as u learn.
Ado (1630–1669) (son of Ashipa/
Esikpa)
Gabaro (1669–1704)
Akinsemoyin ( c .1760-1775)
Eletu Kekere (c1775 - 1780)
Ologun Kutere (also Ologunkutere /
Ologunkuture ) (1780-1801) or until
Interregnum between Ologun Kutere and
Adele (c 1805 - c1810/11)
Adele Ajosun (1811-1821)
Oṣinlokun Ajan (Oshinlokun, Eshinlokun)
(1821–1829)
Idewu Ojulari (1829–1832) [5] or until
Adele Ajosun (second term) (1835-1837)
Oluwole (1837-1841)
Akitoye (1841-1845)
Kosoko (1845–1851)
Akitoye (second term) (1851-1853)
Dosunmu (1853–1885)
Oyekan I (1885–1900)
Eshugbayi Eleko (1901-1925 &
1931-1932)
Ibikunle Akitoye (1925–1928)
Sanusi Olusi (1928–1931)
Falolu Dosunmu (1932–1949)
Adeniji Adele (1949–1964)
Adeyinka Oyekan II (1965–2003)
Rilwan Akiolu (2003–present)

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 10:25pm On Apr 27, 2017
Elagancy:
unfortunately, I'm not talking abt de eko dat u know because u were not born then, I'm talking abt wen men were men. here's de list if de obas of lagos, be humbled as u learn.
Ado (1630–1669) (son of Ashipa/
Esikpa)
Gabaro (1669–1704)
Akinsemoyin ( c .1760-1775)
Eletu Kekere (c1775 - 1780)
Ologun Kutere (also Ologunkutere /
Ologunkuture ) (1780-1801) or until
Interregnum between Ologun Kutere and
Adele (c 1805 - c1810/11)
Adele Ajosun (1811-1821)
Oṣinlokun Ajan (Oshinlokun, Eshinlokun)
(1821–1829)
Idewu Ojulari (1829–1832) [5] or until
Adele Ajosun (second term) (1835-1837)
Oluwole (1837-1841)
Akitoye (1841-1845)
Kosoko (1845–1851)
Akitoye (second term) (1851-1853)
Dosunmu (1853–1885)
Oyekan I (1885–1900)
Eshugbayi Eleko (1901-1925 &
1931-1932)
Ibikunle Akitoye (1925–1928)
Sanusi Olusi (1928–1931)
Falolu Dosunmu (1932–1949)
Adeniji Adele (1949–1964)
Adeyinka Oyekan II (1965–2003)
Rilwan Akiolu (2003–present)
First,show me one man who was from BINI PRINCE'S LINEAGE THAT BEARS ASHIPA? SECONDLY , OLOGUN KUTERE 'S MOTHER WAS THE SISTER OF AKINSEMOYIN, WHO REIGNED AROUND the date you mentioned. However, OLOGUN KUTERE'S FATHER WAS AN IJESHA/ILESHA man and from a NOBLE FAMILY AND SPIRITUALLY SOUND, WHO MARRIED AKINSEMOYIN'S SISTER. HAVE YOU NOW SEE THE TRUTH ABOUT WHO WAS THE FATHER OF AKIOLU ?

ALL THE KINGS THAT HAVE RULED FROM OLOGUN KUTERE ARE HIS DESCENDANTS.

WHERE WILL LOYALTY LIES?

LET NOT OVER FLOGGED THIS ISSUE.
AKIOLU CAME INTO BECOMING KING BECAUSE OLORUN, LO GBA FUN, BUT HE BLUNDERED WITH SUCH ACTION. EVERY YORUBA PERSON KNOWS HIS OR HER LINEAGE .

CLOSE CASE

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by MayorofLagos(m): 6:55am On Apr 28, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
lol

Benin orphans trying to insert themselves into Yoruba issue to remain relevant...

LOL...

I swear bro. grin

They need a revival, only way they can get it is reattaching to Yoruba.

5 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by MayorofLagos(m): 7:11am On Apr 28, 2017
Olu317:
First,show me one man who was from BINI PRINCE'S LINEAGE THAT BEARS ASHIPA? SECONDLY , OLOGUN KUTERE 'S MOTHER WAS THE SISTER OF AKINSEMOYIN, WHO REIGNED AROUND the date you mentioned. However, OLOGUN KUTERE'S FATHER WAS AN IJESHA/ILESHA man and from a NOBLE FAMILY AND SPIRITUALLY SOUND, WHO MARRIED AKINSEMOYIN'S SISTER. HAVE YOU NOW SEE THE TRUTH ABOUT WHO WAS THE FATHER OF AKIOLU ?

ALL THE KINGS THAT HAVE RULED FROM OLOGUN KUTERE ARE HIS DESCENDANTS.

WHERE WILL LOYALTY LIES?

LET NOT OVER FLOGGED THIS ISSUE.
AKIOLU CAME INTO BECOMING KING BECAUSE OLORUN, LO GBA FUN, BUT HE BLUNDERED WITH SUCH ACTION. EVERY YORUBA PERSON KNOWS HIS OR HER LINEAGE .

CLOSE CASE

God Bless you!

Igodomigodo is Edo, not Bini.
Bini is Yoruba, not Edo.

Edo is the land, Bini is the throne and the Crown.

Sometimes these guys disguise and intentionally open a controversial point of history so they can hear us talk and as we do they are taking notes.

They get enough knowledge that they create a Yoruba name and start using what we taught them as accounts of legitimacy and belonging.

I once encountered a Ibo boy in scholarship interview. He knew more about Lagos Island than some of the true sons and daughters of Island. He said he was coached the history by his father. He was detected simply because as impressive as his knowledge when asked to name the orisha of Iga Oshodi he got it correctly and when asked to name that of Iga Jakande he blundered. To clarify, he was asked to give history of Epetedo. He failed that too. His family had lived in five wards on Island.

So we need to be reflective when setting people like this OP straight. We should turn the table upon them and challenge them on their own history, than entertain their enquiry into our history.

Odua a Gbe wa!

4 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by MayorofLagos(m): 7:16am On Apr 28, 2017
OP,
You all need to revive Ogiso dynasty and sack this Yoruba Oba you worship. Bring back Igodomigodo if indeed you are greater than Yoruba.

7 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 7:32am On Apr 28, 2017
MayorofLagos:

God Bless you!

Igodomigodo is Edo, not Bini.
Bini is Yoruba, not Edo.

Edo is the land, Bini is the throne and the Crown.

Sometimes these guys disguise and intentionally open a controversial point of history so they can hear us talk and as we do they are taking notes.

They get enough knowledge that they create a Yoruba name and start using what we taught them as accounts of legitimacy and belonging.

I once encountered a Ibo boy in scholarship interview. He knew more about Lagos Island than some of the true sons and daughters of Island. He said he was coached the history by his father. He was detected simply because as impressive as his knowledge when asked to name the orisha of Iga Oshodi he got it correctly and when asked to name that of Iga Jakande he blundered. To clarify, he was asked to give history of Epetedo. He failed that too. His family had lived in five wards on Island.

So we need to be reflective when setting people like this OP straight. We should turn the table upon them and challenge them on their own history, than entertain their enquiry into our history.

Odua a Gbe wa!
Well informed. I am also perturbed at which some of our Yoruba members don't care to know more about Yoruba history ?With God all things are possible.

Asé to your prayer

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by Elagancy: 7:29am On May 14, 2017
bunches of hyppies and hyppos
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 9:12pm On May 14, 2017
Elagancy:
if I may ask do u know why de old time rift btw de alafin of Oyo and ooni of ife exists. lemme telk u if u don't
oranmiyan, after leaving ile binu which is present day Benin, he went to establish his own empire, de Oyo empire. wen after his fathers death he was called upon to take over de seat of ife, he decline since he preferred to head de Oyo empire dat he founded to inheriting his fathers seat. so he put his fathers servant whose name was ooni which means escapee on de seat and appoint someone from Oyo to go and deputise (which literally mean to check and balance de activities of dis servqnt-cum-leader). dis deputy was named de obalufe of ife which means de king of ifeland of ife to dis day. use ur head to put two and two together. if u doubt, Google and wikipedia is ur friend
lmao. did u learn this from edoworld.com? cus this is all false
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by gregyboy(m): 6:08pm On May 29, 2017
yorubas will never agree to d truth never. oni of ife is oba son i realized dat is not just a particular dat is ruling the kingdon that means family could still be added unlike d benin dat is only one family and it cant be changed it sweet me d way yorubas tries to twist d history d name alone yoruba means cunny deceit so i bet u u all are leaving to ur name
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by aljharem(m): 12:11pm On May 30, 2017
gregyboy:
yorubas will never agree to d truth never. oni of ife is oba son i realized dat is not just a particular dat is ruling the kingdon that means family could still be added unlike d benin dat is only one family and it cant be changed it sweet me d way yorubas tries to twist d history d name alone yoruba means cunny deceit so i bet u u all are leaving to ur name
even if you are a complete illiterate and completely daft I mean no sense at all you cannot see that your Oba title is Yoruba, omo ni oba which means prince. Please what is the meaning of bini in bini language. Why do bini people near Yoruba names. You use your sense and don't let the immediate past oba lies keep on

1 Like

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by aljharem(m): 12:25pm On May 30, 2017
The bone of contention is that we (Lagos island) are yorubas and not and never benins we would never be, same goes to itsekiri people and akoko edo. It is bini that needs to find their root. Stupid pride

2 Likes

Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by gregyboy(m): 7:05pm On Jun 02, 2017
aljharem:
even if you are a complete illiterate and completely daft I mean no sense at all you cannot see that your Oba title is Yoruba, omo ni oba which means prince. Please what is the meaning of bini in bini language. Why do bini people near Yoruba names. You use your sense and don't let the immediate past oba lies keep on

u are very dogmatic human being benins dont bear yoruba names but other edo do bcus of sociolization and migration from ondo state dat formed akoko edo note no benin bears yoruba name instead yorubas bears benin names we conquered both the yorubas,the igbos d deltans and kogi forgod sake through colonialism they accepted our names unlike yorubas that never conquered aside der tribe and still yet boast to call yourself empire missusing d word empire to ur note benin is Portuguese word not yoruba ,
edo is a benin word even d igbos calls benins idu it had so many names given to great empire

oba kha tokpere ise
Re: Why Oba Of Lagos Can Only Be Loyal To Oba Of Benin And Not Ooni Of Ife by banku: 2:18pm On Jun 03, 2017
I need not add more but Yoruba let this nonsense of history from children of Oranmiyan - that bear Yoruba names, speak Yoruba as palace linquq franka and bury the head of their Oba in Ife- go too long thinking it was a joke.

Each time they are asked to explain the meaning of ASHIPA, a common name in any Yoruba land, they come with fake spelling. Ashipa, the First King of Lagos is well known to Lagosians.

Anyone looking for relevance in life or their novel histories, must attack Yoruba to gain attention.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People / The Oganyi Angwa(igala)festival In Idah Kogi State / Nigerian Students Tell South Africans To Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.