Stats: 3,155,306 members, 7,826,211 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts (13003 Views)

How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / Reasons Why Spare Tyres Are Smaller Than The Normal Tyres / Reasons Why Thick Tyres Are Better Than The Standard Models (2) (3) (4)

How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by obafemee80(m): 10:58pm On Apr 27, 2017

THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS

Blend

Up to 30 different kinds of rubber, fillers and other ingredients are used in your tyre’s rubber. The ingredients are mixed in giant blenders to create a black, gummy compound that will be sent on for milling.

Mill

The cooled rubber is cut into strips that will form the basic structure of the tyre itself. At the milling stage, other elements of the tyre are prepared, some of which are then coated in another type of rubber.

Build

It’s now time to make the tyre – from the inside out. The textile elements, steel belts, beads, ply, tread, and other components are placed in a tyre-building machine. The result is a ‘green tyre’ – a tyre that is beginning to look finished.

Cure

The green tyre is then vulcanised with hot moulds in a curing machine, compressing all of the parts of the tyre together and giving the tyre its final shape, including its tread pattern and manufacturer’s sidewall markings.

Inspect

Trained inspectors using special machinery will now carefully check each tyre for the slightest blemish or imperfection before it can be shipped for sale. In addition to that, a selection of tyres are pulled from the line for x-raying to check for potential internal weaknesses or failures. Our quality control engineers also randomly select tyres off the line and cut them open to ensure they meet Dunlop standards.

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by obafemee80(m): 10:59pm On Apr 27, 2017
The typical radial tire consists of eight main parts.

1-Inner liner
:
An airtight layer of synthetic rubber (the modern equivalent of an inner tube)

2-Carcass Ply:

The layer above the inner liner, consisting of thin textile fiber cords (or cables) bonded into the rubber. These cables largely determine the strength of the tire and help it resist pressure. Standard tires contain about 1,400 cords, each one of which can resist a force of 33lb.

3-Lower bead area:
This is where the rubber tire grips the metal rim. The power from the engine and braking effort is transmitted from the rim of the tire to the contact area with the road's surface.

4-Beads
:
They clamp firmly against the tire’s rim to ensure an airtight fit and keep the tire properly seated on the rim. Each wire can take a load of up to 3, 968 lbs without risk of breaking. There are eight of them on your car - two per tire. That’s a massive 31,746 lbs of resistance strength. An average car weighs about 3,307 lbs.

5-Sidewall:
It protects the side of the tire from impact with curbs and the road. Important details about the tire are written on the sidewall, such as tire size and speed rating.

6- Crown plies (or belts):

It largely determines the strength of the tire. It's made up of very fine, resistant steel cords bonded into the rubber. This means the tire can resist the strains of turning, and doesn't expand due to the rotation of the tire. It's also flexible enough to absorb deformations caused by bumps, potholes and other obstacles in the road.

7-Cap ply (or "zero degree" belt):

This important safety layer reduces friction heating and helps maintain the shape of the tire when driving fast. To prevent centrifugal stretching of the tire, reinforced nylon based cords are embedded in a layer of rubber and placed around the circumference of the tire.

8- Tread:

It provides traction and turning grip for the tire and is designed to resist wear, abrasion and heat.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-is-a-tire-made.html
https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/how-tires-are-made.html

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 27, 2017
Tire , one of the most important thing to be careful about in life.
. .
Don't be too tired to check your tires before embarking on a journey peeps.
Happy weekend and Safe trip to y'all!!

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Flexherbal(m): 11:06pm On Apr 27, 2017
Nice post !
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by ipreach: 7:18am On Apr 28, 2017
shall we start producing it now?
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Zi: 7:19am On Apr 28, 2017
When I saw the topic, I thought it was going to be “Explorers” as usual.
Glad many more real researchers are coming up here now.

Kudos OP!

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Crauxx(m): 7:20am On Apr 28, 2017
Who tyre epp
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by BedLam: 7:20am On Apr 28, 2017
ipreach:
get sense pls!

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Kelklein(m): 7:21am On Apr 28, 2017

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by ifeanyi83(m): 7:21am On Apr 28, 2017
Very insightful post. I've always wondered how it was made. Thanks OP
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 28, 2017
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by MrCounselor: 7:25am On Apr 28, 2017
Ok, but the day I catch the guy changing my F*CK to bleep on Nairaland heh? Him go hear weeeehn...

Or any whistleblower in the house? The virgin below is a bounty on the guys head.

Before then lets fry beans...

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by ipreach: 7:26am On Apr 28, 2017
BedLam:
get sense pls!

I pray you receive same
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Tazdroid(m): 7:27am On Apr 28, 2017
Interesting

Abeg, how pesin go take knw "original" and "fake" tyres
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Goahead(m): 7:31am On Apr 28, 2017
Don't we have tire manufacturing plant in Enugu?
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by kufre2010: 7:36am On Apr 28, 2017
Op,what are the needed equipments and their cost
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by ewizard1: 7:42am On Apr 28, 2017
ipreach:

I pray you receive same
He already has... I'll be glad if you be like him! grin
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:57am On Apr 28, 2017
If not for our corrupt pass Leaders, Nigeria shouldn't be importing tyres by now....
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Category1: 7:57am On Apr 28, 2017
Jus look at how people avoided a wonderful thread like this, and u wonder why Nigeria is backward.
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by ipreach: 7:58am On Apr 28, 2017
ewizard1:

He already has... I'll be glad if you be like him! grin

Chai, so too don't have sense
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by lastmaster(m): 8:12am On Apr 28, 2017
op, how do they control pollution rate in the process of tire making
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Onyenna(m): 8:15am On Apr 28, 2017
Cool
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Kakamorufu(m): 8:26am On Apr 28, 2017
highly edutaining piece.
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Nobody: 8:42am On Apr 28, 2017
Zi:
When I saw the topic, I thought it was going to be “Explorers” as usual.
Glad many more real researchers are coming up here now.

Kudos OP!

Exactly what I thought. Was surprised when I saw it ain't Explorers the wicked researcher.
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by leofab(f): 8:51am On Apr 28, 2017
Cool
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by oyetpel(m): 8:57am On Apr 28, 2017
Goahead:
Don't we have tire manufacturing plant in Enugu?

Yes you have, the one that produces fake tyres.
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by Goahead(m): 9:08am On Apr 28, 2017
oyetpel:

[s]Yes you have, the one that produces fake tyres.[/s]
Get life
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by badbreathcure101: 9:11am On Apr 28, 2017
ipreach:
lol, crazy man
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by NobleBeer(m): 9:17am On Apr 28, 2017
fadario:

Exactly what I thought. Was surprised when I saw it ain't Explorers the wicked researcher.
Explorer do answer questions asked on his thread with another researched answer. Lets see how Mr OP go do hin own. Thumps up though
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by ToluO: 10:11am On Apr 28, 2017
Tazdroid:
Interesting

Abeg, how pesin go take knw "original" and "fake" tyres

Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by lonelydora: 1:28pm On Apr 28, 2017
Educative
Re: How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts by ipreach: 2:38pm On Apr 28, 2017
badbreathcure101:
lol, crazy man

I hustle pass everyone in your fam1ly

Aston Martin To Make 28 Replicas Of DB5 Driven By James Bond In Goldfinger Movie / Lagos Commissions Eight New Computerised Vehicle Inspection Centers / Meet Rivian All-electric SUV That Boasts A Better Mileage Than Tesla's Model X