Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,531 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

The Ooni Of Ife Vs Oba Of Lagos Saga: Misplaced Priorities Of The Nigeria People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ooni Of Ife Vs Oba Of Lagos Saga: Misplaced Priorities Of The Nigeria People (588 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Silekunola Naomi Ogunwusi Biography, Age, Ooni Of Ife Prophetess Wife / This Picture Of The Ooni Of Ife And His Wife Has People Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ooni Of Ife Vs Oba Of Lagos Saga: Misplaced Priorities Of The Nigeria People by Chizgold: 9:19pm On Apr 28, 2017
I’m writing this piece without prejudice, to highlight the way we; the people address crucial matters in Nigeria. I have no issues with those who feel the Oba of Lagos crossed the “hierarchical line” when he snubbed the Ooni of Ife. In fact, I was disappointed; not because of what many are pointing to; in terms of their positions in the “realm of the Oba’s of Yoruba land (which I fully understand) but because it is just unacceptable to snub another dignitary in public no matter the circumstance. That includes normal day to day people as well. Everyone deserves respect.

It was rather shocking with the way the Nigerian people went straight for the Oba of Lagos’ throat as soon as the clip was released and rightly so. Social media went berserk with “insults and abuses” to show their discontent. Maybe such an outrage was justified, I cannot say. For me some comments were over the top but as you know “Naija no dey carry last” when matters like this arises. It was a “free for all buffet” and the Oba of Lagos was the main menu.

However, I will say this; if the Nigerian people cared for one another and fought for their peers, known and unknown, like they did with this issue; I believe Nigeria would be a much better place. I was actually fascinated by the passion this matter induced. It was an actual revolution! Then I thought to myself, Nigerians can be passionate oh; if they want to but sadly most of the time, priorities are grossly misplaced.

The truth is, the Oba matter does not affect anyone of us directly. The day will not turn to night because the Ooni was snubbed. It does not diminish him in anyway or form. The Ooni himself has acknowledged that the King of Lagos is his elder and as such will never disrespect him in return. So tan??

When crucial matters that are affecting the lives of those with no voice within our society are posted on social media, we hardly give it a thought. Maybe it is because it does not affect us directly? But neither does this matter of the Oba’s! They belong to a different class of individuals and trust me; before you know it, they would have sorted themselves out! The Ooni does not need anyone to fight his battles. He is capable of doing that himself.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that the outage was justified to “some extent” The “unconvincing excuse” of the Oba of Lagos says it all! I would really like to see a similar unrelenting outrage when the Nigerian people take on their governments et al from all possible angles and refuse to back down until they...

READ MORE: http://ikengachronicles.com/the-ooni-of-ife-vs-oba-of-lagos-saga-misplaced-priorities-of-the-nigeria-people/

Re: The Ooni Of Ife Vs Oba Of Lagos Saga: Misplaced Priorities Of The Nigeria People by ademasta(m): 9:19pm On Apr 28, 2017
Hmmm
Re: The Ooni Of Ife Vs Oba Of Lagos Saga: Misplaced Priorities Of The Nigeria People by Vicolan: 9:46pm On Apr 28, 2017
The guy above me says hummmmm

Me too hunmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: The Ooni Of Ife Vs Oba Of Lagos Saga: Misplaced Priorities Of The Nigeria People by Nukilia: 9:47pm On Apr 28, 2017
Thanks for the post @OP, God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Feminism? / Edo State Belongs To Ijaw People, Binis Are Strangers From Egypt – IPDI / Vote Out Buhari If You Are Not Pleased With Him - Ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.