Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:47 AM

What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? (11769 Views)

What Car Can My Mum Buy With 1million Naira Budget? / 7 Obvious Symptoms To Know A Damaged Fuel Injector / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Fan Belt Adjuster (drive Belt Tensioner) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by nepapole(m): 7:04am On May 01, 2017
Good morning good folks. Just about 5 buildings Away from my home, I discovered that my fan belt had damaged. That was yesterday while returning from an outting. So I thought to my self, what if this had happened in the middle of a highway where I can hardly find a "Kazeem" ?. What would I have done? This is the reason I ask this question. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by jum33: 7:13am On May 01, 2017
See jamb question .Nigerian sabi ask silly question sha. grin.
The farthest you can go will depend on how long you are willing to risk it untill your engine got knocked

17 Likes

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by nepapole(m): 7:49am On May 01, 2017
jum33:
The farthest you can go will depend on how long you are willing to risk it untill your engine got knocked !!
Tnx for ur contribution

22 Likes

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Nobody: 9:11am On May 01, 2017
jum33:
The farthest you can go will depend on how long you are willing to risk it untill your engine got knocked !!

Its a silly question YES but in what way can a damaged fan belt knock an engine

10 Likes

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Waladade4luv(m): 10:01am On May 01, 2017
Over heating is not your friend oh no risk am oh but 5 houses is not much sha

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by nepapole(m): 10:12am On May 01, 2017
Waladade4luv:
Tanx bro.
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Readonee35L(m): 12:24pm On May 01, 2017
Waladade4luv:
Do you know the distance between does houses. undecided

2 Likes

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Waladade4luv(m): 12:33pm On May 01, 2017
Readonee35L:

Do you know the distance between does houses. undecided
I assumed its just five plots away

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by diportivo: 1:46pm On May 01, 2017
which one is fan belt?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:22pm On May 01, 2017
nepapole:
Good morning good folks. Just about 5 buildings Away from my home, I discovered that my fan belt had damaged. That was yesterday while returning from an outting. So I thought to my self, what if this had happened in the middle of a highway where I can hardly find a "Kazeem" ?. What would I have done? This is the reason I ask this question. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Correct word is serpentine belt.

It depends on what the belt drives. Let me give you an example.

In a 1mz-fe engine that powers the popular lexus RX300, avalon, camry v6 2001...... the serpentine belt drives the alternator,power steering pump and compressor.

Meaning as long as your battery is charged it, you might cover over 200km until your battery dies out.

Water pump is powered by the timing belt.

Now for a vehicle like the kia rio toyota corrola, or camry with the 2az engine, your temp will hit the red mark in less than 5mins. Reason, the serpentine belt drives the water pump. When coolant is static, great recipe for overheating.

Question is, what kind of car do you drive?

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by nepapole(m): 2:28pm On May 01, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

In a 1mz-fe engine that powers the popular lexus RX300, avalon, camry v6 2001...... the serpentine belt drives the alternator,power steering pump and compressor.

Meaning as long as your battery is charged it, you might cover over 200km until your battery dies out.

Now for a vehicle like the kia rio toyota corrola, or camry with the 2az engine, your temp will hit the red mark in less than 5mins. Reason, the serpentine belt drives the water pump. When coolant is static, great recipe for overheating.

Tanx bro....i rili appreciate this. Its a bus actually( 2002 Mercedes Benz Vito).

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:32pm On May 01, 2017
nepapole:

Tanx bro....i rili appreciate this. Its a bus actually( 2002 Mercedes Benz Vito).

waterpump is driven by the serpentine belt. If there is no traffic, you can make a dash for it. Car will heat up, but if it's less than a 500m better to park at home. If needle goes over the half mark, park and allow it cool.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by nepapole(m): 2:42pm On May 01, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

waterpump is driven by the serpentine belt. If there is no traffic, you can make a dash for it. Car will heat up, but if it's less than a 500m better to park at home. If needle goes over the half mark, park and allow it cool.
Noted... Thanx alot bro.

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Nobody: 7:56pm On May 01, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

There's a reason why they call you "gayzuz". Excellent response.

9 Likes

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by tolulinks(m): 9:46pm On May 01, 2017
Mementoes:
There's a reason why they call you "gayzuz". Excellent response.
GAYzuz? Ok. Continue

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Nobody: 10:12pm On May 01, 2017
tolulinks:

GAYzuz? Ok. Continue
grin
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Temple1288(m): 7:46am On May 15, 2018
10 house and then its engine ll be dumped!
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by bigt2(m): 7:50am On May 15, 2018
grin

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Nobody: 7:52am On May 15, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

I beg to differ Sir.

There is as such as a fan belt.

Not all of us drive the latest and greatest grin

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by galken: 8:00am On May 15, 2018
Water pump is powered by the timing belt.? color switch
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by gbengalite(m): 8:02am On May 15, 2018
It will cause over heating...

PPC.ng We turn your traffic to sales
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by jaychubi: 8:02am On May 15, 2018
nepapole:

Always have spare fan belt just like u have spare tyre
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Jaybeee(m): 8:10am On May 15, 2018
20km
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Bishop4bella(m): 8:14am On May 15, 2018
Fan belt or serpentine belt as the response mentioned.
Latest vehicles don't use serpentine belt again for it's driven electrically. So the ur fan is faulty, it will only result to over heating.

Thanks
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by tenmariner: 8:28am On May 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I beg to differ Sir.

Don't beg to differ.. Just differ... Lol
No mind me o
Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Nobody: 8:30am On May 15, 2018
I Will go with my Oga Gazzuzz It depends on what type of car and Engine size.I have driven without knowing the first lady corrola from Ibadan to Lagos once without the belt it held because of breeze from outside,the size of the Engine etc it was when i ran into traffic at redeem that i know say god na one.That day i bought almost five bags of pure water to put inside the radiator.But once the traffic cleared it was zoom zoom

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by Nobody: 8:30am On May 15, 2018
tenmariner:

Don't beg to differ.. Just differ... Lol
No mind me o

You wan make I chop fanbelt? Gazzuzz na my Oga I have to beg grin

1 Like

Re: What's The Farthest A Car Can Go With A Damaged Fan Belt? by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:32am On May 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I beg to differ Sir.

people who drive such cars do not come to cartalk wink

Thanks for the correction sha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lamborghini Recalls 5,900 Supercars Due To Risk Of Fire / Overheating In Rover 75 V6 2.5 Liter Engine / Mercedes-benz Is Rated The Most Valuable European Premium Automotive Brand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.