Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Re-branding Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re-branding Religion (647 Views)

STOP RE-BRANDING MASTURBATION It's A Sin & Displeases God / So Which Is The True Religion? / The Mormon Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Re-branding Religion by layinx(f): 9:48am On Jan 07, 2010
Re-branding Religion
My heart skips a beat each time I hear about terrorism in the news. It’s a wonder I’m not dead now because this time the story isn’t just about terrorism. It’s about my very own countryman (and a fellow Muslim) trying to kill himself and other passengers on the plane. I’m still amazed. I mean, what was he thinking?!!! cry

I’m not your typical Muslim. That doesn’t mean I don’t, believe in Allah (God), say my prayers, give alms to the poor or fast during Ramadan or that I don’t intend to go to Mecca on Holy pilgrimage. Basically, I observe the 5 pillars of Islam, so there! When I say that I’m not your typical Muslim, I simply mean that my appearance tells you nothing about my mode of worship. You won’t see me on a normal day and say “here comes a Muslim girl”. I’m not immodest in my appearance (or otherwise) so you’re not going to see me naked unless I am in my bathroom, bedroom or in your dreams. I don’t wear the Hijab (veil) except to pray or to the mosque and if I were a boy (man) I would keep a beard for reasons of style and aesthetics rather than religion. I’m very proud of those who do these things but the mind and character matter more to me. That’s enough about me.

Why would anyone want to kill himself or anyone else in the name of religion? Why? shocked
Certainly each extended family in Nigeria has at least one Christian, one traditional worshipper or pagan or atheist (declared or closet) and one Muslim. I’m related to at least one of each. I even have one Hare Krishna uncle.
Muslims don’t eat pork but then should we slaughter or curse anyone for enjoying their spare ribs? We shouldn’t drink alcohol but should we then burn down the bars, pubs and beer parlours? I don’t worship in a church but if you are getting married in one, don’t forget to invite me. We really don’t need to preach religious tolerance. Peaceful coexistence is about common sense. We are not the same and never will be. Imagine tall people waging war against the short ones or “not-so-fine” people fighting us pretty girls. But then, we are not very different. Who amongst us does not sleep, eat, laugh or cry? Which of us will never die?

Who are the terrorists?
It takes a level of expertise to activate bombs and explosives. So we know they are not daft. On second thought, strike that out. They might actually be daft. Or what other reason would make a person want to take his own life? Twenty wide eyed virgins awaiting him in heaven? (Don’t misunderstand the parable and Martyrdom is not about killing)The answer might lie in there. Maybe they are sexually starved individuals with perverted minds (the Umar Mutallab fellow had a bomb diaper. I don’t want to imagine the state of his Instruments now). . The boy has successfully re-branded Nigeria. Now we no go dey get visa again.
Another option is that they could simply be unhappy people.
In that case, my advice to them would be: Before you start exhibiting and sadistic or extremist tendencies, leave the religion. Explore other religions if you please. If you come back, we’ll receive you with open arms. After all, Allah is The All forgiving (Al Gafur). I might not have taken my I.R.S (Islamic Religious Studies) classes very seriously but I remember being taught that “there is no compulsion in religion”. Even a verse of the noble Quran (Surah Al Kafirun) tells me “to you, be your religion and to me, be mine”. So change your ways and stop bringing shame to my beloved Islam. You might just find true happiness elsewhere. Focus on the essentials if you really want to be pious. Don’t kill, don’t lie, don’t steal, and don’t fornicate. Be kind; be peaceful and be cheerful. In other words … GET A LIFE! kiss
Re: Re-branding Religion by jagunlabi(m): 1:39pm On Jan 07, 2010
Even Dora Akunyili will not take this particular rebranding on.Believe me when i say that rebranding religions, especially a religion like islam, makes rebranding of nigeria a child's play.
Re: Re-branding Religion by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 07, 2010
jagunlabi:

Even Dora Akunyili will not take this particular rebranding on.Believe me when i say that rebranding religions, especially a religion like islam, makes rebranding of nigeria a child's play.
It all depends on how individual perceives religion.Though we may be correct when we say among all religions,Islam is d only dat allows u to fight&defend ur self.But not all muslims do that.I will explain more on what i mean later

(1) (Reply)

Home Fellowship / Just After Death / Son Of A Hamas Leader Now A Christian!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.