Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos (7588 Views)

Oba Akiolu Arrives For Fashola's Photographic Foundation Ceremony In Style / Oba Rilwan Akiolu's Palace On Fire / Yoruba Man Blasts Oba Akiolu For Snubbing Ooni Via Video Message (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 02, 2017
aljharem:
Let no man be deceived. Anyway na tinubu put am there. When I said it that let Adebiyi be the oba or adeniji adele you are now. Like fashola like rilwan

We in Lagos island and Lagos at large are yorubas, the land is Yoruba, culture yoruba etc
You are clearly delusional, there is way too much evidence to show that Lagos was part of the Benin empire. The word Yoruba is actually a recent word, it seems it appeared only in the 19th century. What you currently refer to as Yorubaland was actually a part of the Benin empire which comprised people of several different dialects.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 02, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 02, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 02, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by aljharem(m): 4:46pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
You are clearly delusional, there is way too much evidence to show that Lagos was part of the Benin empire. The word Yoruba is actually a recent word, it seems it appeared only in the 19th century. What you currently refer to as Yorubaland was actually a part of the Benin empire which comprised people of several different dialects.
i think you are the one that is deluded here. Before the word Yoruba land we had oodua country. Go and read your history very well.

Now to address the oba's utterances, he is clearly deluded as you and I think he is sick. I even have more claim to the throne than him but tinubu game has back fired once again. I will show you my household close to Freeman way. The oba knows he was never meant to be the king at the first place after oyekan.

Listen to the oba at your own peril. We are yorubas I cannot speak for others in Lagos but Lagos Island, Iru (vi), Lagos mainland and Ikoyi are all yorubas , the land is Yoruba ko de si baba nla baba bini to le ni pe ti won ni.

And yes I am talking as an authority

3 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by ozoebuka1(m): 4:50pm On May 02, 2017
Oxtonguy:
Naij.com another public forum run by hungry blogger is bringing news that fit ur ego, u are mustubating. if not for lunacy of some of una isale eko a yoruba name surronded by yoruba town in mainland as far to benin republic is said not to be yoruba land by a yoruba monarch with yoruba name surrondded by yoruba cabals. And you are celebrating, common sense is only needed in situations like this. Where is henrydon sef c how them dey tarnish ur king reputation oo shocked
From naij.com being fake to me not using my common sense won't change what your oba has said.

It's was said by your oba that Lagos is more of Benin than Yoruba and I don't need to use my common sense to evaluate what he's said. whether it's true or false I don't care all I care is that your oba said ittongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 02, 2017
aljharem:
i think you are the one that is deluded here. Before the word Yoruba land we had oodua country. Go and read your history very well.

Now to address the oba's utterances, he is clearly deluded as you and I think he is sick. I even have more claim to the throne than him but tinubu game has back fired once again. I will show you my household close to Freeman way. The oba knows he was never meant to be the king at the first place after oyekan.

Listen to the oba at your own peril. We are yorubas I cannot speak for others in Lagos but Lagos Island, Iru (vi), Lagos mainland and Ikoyi are all yorubas , the land is Yoruba ko de si baba nla baba bini to le ni pe ti won ni.

Please, when you make a claim, back it with proof. Now first show me pre-colonial maps on which a country named ooda can be sighted and then prove to me that that country is "yorubaland". I have already provided a proof that the Oba of lagos is right, yet you continue in your delusion and you make other claims without proof. Also, I don't see how the alleged existence of a pre-colonial ooda proves the existance of the word yoruba befor the 19th century.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 02, 2017
It seems some people will never understand that an empire and its capital are two seperate things. You guys keep confusing Benin city (the capital of the Benin empire) with the Benin empire.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 02, 2017
ozoebuka1:
From naij.com being fake to me not using my common sense won't change what your oba has said.

It's was said by your oba that Lagos is more of Benin than Yoruba and I don't need to use my common sense to evaluate what he's said. whether it's true or false I don't care all I care is that your oba said ittongue
And his Oba is right, I provided a pre-colonial map to that effect.

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by legislatively: 5:01pm On May 02, 2017
Lalasticlala, this should make front page
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by aljharem(m): 5:04pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:

Please, when you make a claim, back it with proof. Now first show me pre-colonial maps on which a country named ooda can be sighted and then prove to me that that country is "yorubaland". I have already provided a proof that the Oba of lagos is right, yet you continue in your delusion and you make other claims without proof.

Yes the monarch of Lagos island was formed by Oba Ado but as of TODAY !!!!! the Ado family, Eletu, obido and Obanikoro families are all Yoruba now. FACT NUMBER 1

The original people Awori where occupants before accepting bini. Awori is Yoruba, FACT NUMBER 2

Lagos Island also have Nupe (tapa), Creole and Brazilians. They are all yorubas now, FACT NUMBER 3

The only claim bini can have in Lagos is if they under the oodua country of not they should forget Lagos, itsekiris, the whole of ondo, whole of ekiti, Akoko Edo areas, as far as we are concerned, we are yorubas.

So if you binis want to join the ibos or be by yourselves then fine. We are more intelligent than living in fragmented colonies. I mean that is clannish and stupid. Any true son of Lagos island knows this even itsekiris know this.

Binis have your "ancient" city and past glory, we are forging ahead. We are not living in past glory .

We would form a great country with the yorubas. Thank you !!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 02, 2017
aljharem:

Yes the monarch of Lagos island was formed by Oba Ado but as of TODAY !!!!! the Ado family, Eletu, obido and Obanikoro families are all Yoruba now.
Where is your proof ? You haven't even pproven that there is such a tribe called yoruba (an ancient tribe, not a political ploy to gather different tribes in order to have more votes through tribalism ( Late mr Awolowo, R.I.P). i did spot the word yoruba in a precolonial map but it was dated 1884 and it represented less than a fragment of what you guys are calling yorubaland. In previous pre-colonial maps, All that land is covered by the Benin empire. Might it be that Yorubas are former Benin citizens who seceeded from the empire ?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 02, 2017
aljharem:

Lagos Island also have Nupe (tapa), Creole and Brazilians. They are all yorubas now, FACT NUMBER 3
Basically, you are alluding to the fact that a portion of the yoruba population is made up of former slaves who returned to africa when they were freed. I can only wonder their proportion.

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 02, 2017
@aljharem, it is not so much about glory but more about history and reconciliation.
We need to know our history because it is that which bounds us together. We need our history to see what worked in the past and emulate that and also to see what didn't work and change that. Also we need our history to maintain order while we move in direction to the future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by aljharem(m): 5:18pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Where is your proof ? You haven't even pproven that there is such a tribe called yoruba (an ancient tribe, not a political ploy to gather different tribes in order to have more votes through tribalism ( Late mr Awolowo, R.I.P). i did spot the word yoruba in a precolonial map but it was dated 1884 and it represented less than a fragment of what you guys are calling yorubaland. In previous pre-colonial maps, All that land is covered by the Benin empire. Might it be that Yorubas are former Benin citizens who seceeded from the empire ?
history2900:
history2900:

There was Oyo empire and truly Lagos was not under it. Now you are correct in that. Moving on

A country is a geographical expression comprising of people with common culture and goal. We have common culture with the other "yoruba" states so we would fall under the Yoruba group of states because they clearly have cultural similarities with us and also clearly are a smarter group of people who use dialog to solve issues rather than violence. Yes we would have some omo ales among us, we would go through troubled waters but it is better. The grass is not always greener at the other side. Certainly not east

3 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by aljharem(m): 5:21pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Basically, you are alluding to the fact that a portion of the yoruba population is made up of former slaves who returned to africa when they were freed. I can only wonder their proportion.

I am not alluding but stating facts here. Likes of Cardoso are examples. Those are Brazilians

We have cardoso family and cordoso and the later is Creole (returnee slave family) yes they are part of the commonwealth now

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 02, 2017
aljharem:

I am not alluding but stating facts here. Likes of Cardoso are examples. Those are Brazilians

We have cardoso family and cordoso and the later is Creole (returnee slave family) yes they are part of the commonwealth now
I know, perharps I chose my words poorly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by aljharem(m): 5:31pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
@aljharem, it is not so much about glory but more about history and reconciliation.
We need to know our history because it is that which bounds us together. We need our history to see what worked in the past and emulate that and also to see what didn't work and change that. Also we need our history to maintain order while we move in direction to the future.

We know the history. Every Lagos island indigene know his/her history. There is no denial. I never forget to mention bini in my family history if asked. From Keteru.

With that said we should forge ahead as empires, country or States with common history. Take a look at Nigeria, you would rather be called Yoruba than any other ethnicity. Why ?

They clearly have a vision and direction unlike others. Take a look at it this way, if we all hold on to this clanish thing then we would not go far as a people. Yes even on nairaland, I have fought with yorubas even deny at times (isale gan) but at the end of the day, we all have a role to play in the greater commonwealth.

See even my indigeous language is lost, my village is turned to broad street etc I get told everyday that Lagos is a no man's land among others but I would rather we are absorbed into the Yoruba nation than some ijo (although culturally similar) or igbo claiming.

Bini and yoruba we are one. We have groups that have bonded us, liked of akoko, itsekiri, awori, ilaje among others. We need to be smart as far as we are in the Nigeria project
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by aljharem(m): 5:35pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:

I know, perharps I chose my words poorly.

My brother so did I and I apologies. Egbon let me know when you are in town o, I will be coming for eyo festival this month grin
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 02, 2017
Shebi i don talk am before say na Bini get Oduduwa

At least this revelation further proves that Ijebu is not yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 02, 2017
aljharem:

My brother so did I and I apologies. Egbon let me know when you are in town o, I will be coming for eyo festival this month grin
Take care bro.
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by koladebrainiac(m): 6:07pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
It seems like the national sport in the mythical "yorubaland" is to rewrite history. The Oba of Lagos or more accurately the Eleko Eko is the King of the entire Lagos. And his claims are backed by precolonial documents. face the facts and stop whining !
u need to make sense. so oba of benin is the oba of all edo state
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by koladebrainiac(m): 6:10pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
so because Oba of Lagos is now part of Lagos what will now haPPEN TO them?
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 02, 2017
koladebrainiac:
u need to make sense. so oba of benin is the oba of all edo state
What don't you understand in "Omo n'Oba n'Edo" ? besides he actually owns the title "Oba", all the rest copied it. And he is the Oba of a much bigger territory than Edo state: The Benin empire of which Edo state is just the capital. Once again, look at the precolonial maps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by FemiFimile: 8:50pm On May 02, 2017
lalasticlala, seun fp
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Oxtonguy: 9:39pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Here is the claim of the Oba of Lagos (date 5:28):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOsp9VLRFno

Here is a pre-colonial map proving the claim of the Oba of Lagos:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b77595185.r=biafra?rk=21459;2

Also, there is no hitoric record of Yorubaland before the 19th century. And what you refer to as yorubaland can actually be seen as being a part of the Benin empire in early precolonial maps.
Like I said earlier this are history we've read several instances, Akinolu narrating the history of Lagos, and I never heard him claim any of your sick and dumb attests. This same akinolu that claim Yoruba has rich culture and that he has no issue with ife monarch that he only great onni in Eko traditional way https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/not-snub-ooni-ife-oba-akiolu/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.naij.com/amp/1101756-i-snub-ooni-ife-oba-akiolu-finally-reveals-happened.html

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 02, 2017
Oxtonguy:
Like I said earlier this are history we've read several instances, Akinolu narrating the history of Lagos, and I never heard him claim any of your sick and dumb attests. This same akinolu that claim Yoruba has rich culture and that he has no issue with ife monarch that he only great onni in Eko traditional way https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/not-snub-ooni-ife-oba-akiolu/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.naij.com/amp/1101756-i-snub-ooni-ife-oba-akiolu-finally-reveals-happened.html
CRY BABY CRY

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Oxtonguy: 10:05pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
CRY BABY CRY
You can do the crying, as folks with common sense will grap the truth without sentiment.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by pazienza(m): 12:35am On May 03, 2017

1 Like

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by tobida: 2:22pm On May 03, 2017
seun lalasticlala fp topic let us debate and hav fun.
Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by tobida: 2:23pm On May 03, 2017
pazienza:
When exactly did Igwe Achebe say that Onitsha is Bini?

www.google.com.ng/amp/dailypost.ng/2015/05/21/bring-your-investments-home-obi-of-onitsha-charges-ndigbo/amp/

i dont like the way seun is hiding juicy news that is already on every mobile phone and twitter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos by Olu317(m): 9:41am On May 04, 2017
aljharem:

Kaarè Omo erujéjé ODU'A. Don't worry, God of our fathers will stand by us because we were into love, unity and harmony. Oba to jé ti ilu toro Oruko é ko ni paré Oba to si jé ti ilu o si tòró ba kan na Oruko é ko ni paré. It just dawned on YORUBA NOW, that TINUBU BLUNDERED SO MUCH In the appointment of a Friend on a stool, a wise and humble person ought occupy. WHAT A PITY. HOWEVER, I sincerely hope we don't have such a king in Yoruba land that will want to bring disunity among Yorubas . God bless you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pre-colonial Homosexuality / Brave New World: Overhauling Igbo Grammar / A Fulani Invention, Popularised By Hausa Merchants ; Adopted By West Africans.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.