Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico (22849 Views)

RUGA, Ranching: Akwa Ibom State Government Imports 2000 Cows From Brazil / Amaechi, El-rufai, Other Arrived Akwa Ibom To Flag Off Presidential Campaign / Bukola Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom To Meet With Party Delegates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Islie: 6:35am On May 04, 2017
…state moves to crash price of garri

By Dickson Adama, Uyo

Governor Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom State has said that his administration will establish a ranch in Uruan area of the state that would accommodate about 2,000 cows to be imported from Mexico.

The governor made this known at the flagg off of an improved cassava stem plantation with the aim of crashing the price of garri, a local food made from cassava tuber.

He said the process of acquiring the cows was underway and his government would ensure fresh milk for Akwa Ibom people as against evaporated milk.

“Fresh milk is more nutritious and will enhance good health and growth among the people of the state,” he said, adding that consultants were working hard to get the projects started.

The cassava plantation, located in the Okobo Local Government Area of the state, is among the pet projects of his wife, Mrs Martha Udom Emmanuel.

The governor said he was putting in place a framework that would ensure “we can actually turn around and feed ourselves,” saying agriculture remains the highest employer of labour.

He commended his wife’s project, FEYReP, for taking an initiative aimed at ensuring availability of garri for the populace.

Mrs Martha Udom Emmanuel had earlier said that the project was in line with her husband’s initiative of returning people to the farm and enhancing food sufficiency in the state.

She thanked the Ikono -Offi/Nsie community for providing land for the project and assured that with the project, the price of garri in the state would crash substantially.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/agriculture/akwa-ibom-to-import-2000-cows-from-mexico/196187.html

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by mazimee(m): 6:37am On May 04, 2017
Must we import every thing in this country Ordinary cows that he could buy from Anambara farm and start their ranch in peace.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by frenzydilz(m): 6:40am On May 04, 2017
Lol...unless na Freisian sha

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by nzeobi(m): 6:41am On May 04, 2017
Good one, I hope it's ranched and the cows well vaccinated.
The herdsmen should be taught that they don't have the monopoly over that business

153 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by ITbomb(m): 6:42am On May 04, 2017
Government this, government that. Ranch is not even what government should be dabbling into.

Create a suitable environment, empower the citizens and investors would take over the rest..

Anyway let's hope they will engage a competent management partner cos if they want to do it Akwa Ibom way, it is dead on arrival

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by fineboynl(m): 6:45am On May 04, 2017
good one this is what I like to hear. all state should start feeding itself to increase jobs and save is state economy. the money will remain in the state to go round instead of moving the money to another far a away states.

I don't see anything in cattle rearing southerners can't do. in the USA cattle's for beaf are grown for 2years. we can train foreign hybrid cattle they don't have Huge horns. they are short and have meats and easy to adopt just like hybrids chickens.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Nobody: 6:46am On May 04, 2017
But where is lalasticlala sef

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by layzie: 6:48am On May 04, 2017
A step in the right direction if the Libyans are to be stopped.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by toseen7: 6:49am On May 04, 2017
Hehehehe, import cows? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by udumosam23(m): 6:53am On May 04, 2017
Now that's what I call vision. I was beginning to think only the fulanis have right to cattle rearing in Nigeria.

There is a better way we can rare more healthy cattles that will provide healthy milk and meat as compared to what the Fulani's offer that we'll have to risk our farm lands and lives to get.

The best way of sending these miscreants back to futa jalon is to provide a ranch system and bring in a better specie of cows. Let's teach them how to do this in a more civilised manner.

#saynotoabokicows.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Jaabioro(m): 6:53am On May 04, 2017
Is a good idea, but he has to watched his back otherwise the Fulani men in and out may killed the project ..both physically ,document and steps needs license...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Young03(m): 6:54am On May 04, 2017
Import cows from mexico when u can get upto 500 from buhari in daura

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by papaejima1: 6:54am On May 04, 2017
Way to go AKS!

I'd rather import cows than import grass.
Mean while I hope the herders won't come from Mauritius.

9 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by hisgrace090: 6:55am On May 04, 2017
Best news ever.
Teach them how to curtail headsmen menace.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Blue3k(m): 7:05am On May 04, 2017
Personally I don't believe the government should be engaged with business activity of ranching. I do believe if he wants to sell land for ranching that's cool. Giving tax breaks or loans is ok. I was not complaining about land sale to innoson motors.

I believe this kind of thing should be a state issue. Just like kano choose to make grazing reserves for herdsmen. I think people in state should decide how the wish to go about issue. No to federal grazing bill.

This is also only way to truly fight off herdsmen. You steal market share from them. The government collects more taxes and everyone benefits from more meat and diary production. What Akwa Ibom should do next is add stricter transportation regulations to cattle.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by millhouse: 7:21am On May 04, 2017
You will soon hear about wantom killings in that state.. This news won't go down well with a particular tribe.. Just watch and see.

4 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by o42austino(m): 7:22am On May 04, 2017
OMG this project was sighted at ikono Offi, that place was my PPA during my NYSC service, I hope this project brings the government closer to Offi people and provide Road and Electricity for them which are not in existence, thanks to Chief Jerry Okpo because I know that without him that community can not attract this kind of project.... Thanks Offi people for your hospitality and love to Corp members even in the presence of abject poverty you guys insisted on giving to Corp members serving In you community, we in turn to show appreciation hosted the Offi kids to kids party and Carol of nine lessons during Christmas of 2015, you guys are in my Heart forever.

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Blue3k(m): 7:26am On May 04, 2017
Young03:

toseen7:
Hehehehe, import cows?
grin grin grin

mazimee:
Must we import every thing in this country Ordinary cows that he could buy from Anambara farm and start their ranch in peace.

ArcFresky:

Whats good about importing cows from Mexico.... Is something covering your brain?

Lets start with a few facts guys. Nigerian breeds of Cattle don't produce as much milk as their Foreign counter parts. It's better to import these cattle since the governments stated goal is to increase Diary production. The next big fact is Nigeria already does import plenty of cows from Sahel countries. In particular Niger Republic pretty much exports all its beef to Nigeria.

He said the process of acquiring the cows was underway and his government would ensure fresh milk for Akwa Ibom people as against evaporated milk.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by DozieInc(m): 7:49am On May 04, 2017
Ok
Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 7:52am On May 04, 2017
Young03:

You mean those malnutritious looking cows?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by sanandreas(m): 7:52am On May 04, 2017
Let all southern state start their own ranching system. We would definitely drive down the monopoly of cattle herders. A good step in the right direction.

6 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Agimor(m): 7:53am On May 04, 2017
I thought we have Cows in large quantities... Misplaced priorities.
Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 7:55am On May 04, 2017
Blue3k:

Lets start with a few facts guys. Nigerian breeds of Cattle don't produce as much milk as their European counter parts. It's better to import these cattle since the governments stated goal is to increase Diary production. The next big fact is Nigeria already does import plenty of cows from Sahel countries. In particular Niger Republic pretty much exports all its beef to Nigeria.

Weather factor. The weather over ain't same as ours here. Can those cows adapt to our hot weather?
Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by lilytender: 7:56am On May 04, 2017
nzeobi:
Good one, I hope it's ranched and the cows well vaccinated.
The herdsmen should be taught that they don't have the monopoly over that business

This is how China is fighting America and Donald Trump is crying. Take their business and means of lively-hood away from them and you will see the Hausa/Fulani man become humble. By the time all Fulani cows grow to 10 years and no Southerner is buying, he will go back to his Sokoto and kano and eat his cow himself.

27 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Nobody: 7:58am On May 04, 2017
Good thinking. Hope herdsmen can reroute their ways to other states.

Let us see how the roaming marauding killer herdsmen will now come and start fighting Akwa Ibom people. I trust my Uruan people sha, they know to do the do. After Benin people fear Uruan

6 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Lanretoye(m): 8:01am On May 04, 2017
cows ?

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by Blue3k(m): 8:01am On May 04, 2017
IdisuleOurOwn:

Weather factor. The weather over ain't same as ours here. Can those cows adapt to our hot weather?

I don't know what breed of cattle they imported to give exact details. As long as they are have sufficient water they'll be ok. The weather similar to Nigeria in sone parts of coastal region.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by juman(m): 8:35am On May 04, 2017
Talk is cheap.

Where are those governors that were shouting about agriculture before?

They are no where to be found

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by juman(m): 8:39am On May 04, 2017
The governor should demonstrate that he is better than the other Nigerian leaders.
He can show that through sincere promotion of agric.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by AlhajiSpray(m): 8:42am On May 04, 2017
Seems they want to turn that state into the "republic of cow tail pepper soup"? grin
Re: Akwa Ibom To Import 2000 Cows From Mexico by bantudark: 8:55am On May 04, 2017
you need to encourage the fulanis to change moving around too much...other countries still move their cattle around like fulanis but they are better regulated....fulanis try too hard to follow old traditional routes of grazing...thats the problem..

fulanis must understand that things have changed and they must adopt too to the changed enviroment....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obi Urges Nigerians To Denounce & Reject Ag's Office Holding Workshop In London / Osinbajo At The Senior Course 37 Grad Ceremony Armed Forces College (pics) / EFCC: Metuh Has Cases To Answer, Says His Alarm Was Unnecessary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.