Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God (1180 Views)

What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'? / Meet The Word's "Poorest" President (pics) / Four Hurt As Africans' Home Torched In Jerusalem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God by Recognise: 8:03pm On Jan 08, 2010
[size=14pt]Malaysia church torched amid Allah row[/size]

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - A church in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur was firebombed early on Friday, gutting the first storey of the building in a residential area, amid a row over the use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God.

"It is confirmed that Desa Melawati church was burnt, at about 12.25 am in the morning. There were no fatalities. We are investigating the incident and suspect foul play," said Kuala Lumpur Chief Police Officer Mohammad Sabtu Osman.

A court ruling last week allowing Catholic newpaper The Herald to use "Allah" for the Christian God has been appealed by the government of the mainly Muslim nation of 28 million people.

The issue has threatened relations between the majority Malay Muslim population and the minority ethnic Chinese and Indian populations who practise a range of religions including Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism.

Malaysian Muslims, who account for around 60 percent of the population, are set to protest on Friday against the ruling.

The church that was burned on Friday was part of a group called "The Assembly of God".

Many churches in Malaysia are situated in residential or retail areas and often occupy a small lot.

According to 2007 statistics, there are 333 Assembly of God churches in Malaysia.

"There are witness reports two persons on a motorbike came near the entrance and hurled in something looking like a petrol bomb. Our church is 90 percent gutted (on the first floor)," said church spokesman Kevin Ang from the Metro Tabernacle Assembly of God.

It is illegal for non-Muslims to proselytise to Muslims although freedom of worship for the mainly Buddhist, Christian and Hindu religious minorities who make up 40 percent of the population is guaranteed under the country's constitution.

The use of "Allah" has been common among non-English speaking Malaysian Christians in the Borneo island states of Sabah and Sarawak for decades and without any incident.

for SOURCE:Click here
Re: Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God by JeSoul(f): 8:14pm On Jan 08, 2010
. . . still, that gates of hell will not prevail.

The church is not a building but a people, and for that, I am always thankful.
Re: Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God by aletheia(m): 8:31pm On Jan 08, 2010
So sad. Don't know why Churches (Christians) will use the name "Allah" for the LORD who declared himself to Moses as YHWH:

Exo 3:14-15 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘The [b]LORD [/b]God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’

Allah was the moon god of the Quariysh tribe of Mo. . .
Just imagine if Xtians were using the name Dagon for the LORD!

1 Like

Re: Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God by kristonium(m): 8:40pm On Jan 08, 2010
aletheia:

So sad. Don't know why Churches (Christians) will use the name "Allah" for the LORD who declared himself to Moses as YHWH:

Exo 3:14-15 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘The [b]LORD [/b]God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’

Allah was the moon god of the Quariysh tribe of Mo. . .
Just imagine if Xtians were using the name Dagon for the LORD!

may God bless ur intelligence!
Re: Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God by Recognise: 8:53pm On Jan 08, 2010
. . . God is longsufferring in silence and plenteous in mercy indeed coupled with exercising incredible restraints

- Patience truly is a virtue

In certain context "Christian" God (e.g. "Allah"wink and "Allah" might be the same

beyond this peculiarity "Allah" is not "Christian" God are vice versa

Acts 17:20-28 CEV:

22So Paul stood up in front of the council and said:

People of Athens, I see that you are very religious.

23As I was going through your city and looking at the things you worship,

I found an altar with the words, "To an Unknown God."

You worship this God, but you don't really know him. So I want to tell you about him.

24This God made the world and everything in it.

He is Lord of heaven and earth, and he doesn't live in temples built by human hands.

25He doesn't need help from anyone. He gives life, breath, and everything else to all people.

26From one person God made all nations who live on earth, and he decided when and where every nation would be.

27God has done all this, so that we will look for him and reach out and find him. He isn't far from any of us,

28and he gives us the power to live, to move, and to be who we are. "We are his children," just as some of your poets have said.

My Sista from another motha I holler
Re: Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God by aletheia(m): 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2010
Recognise:

. . . God is longsufferring in silence and plenteous in mercy indeed coupled with exercising incredible restraints

- Patience truly is a virtue

In certain context "Christian" God (e.g. "Allah"wink and "Allah" might be the same

beyond this peculiarity "Allah" is not "Christian" God are vice versa

My Sista from another motha I holler
I would beg to disagree with you sir. The altar in Athens had the inscription: "To an Unknown God". The operative word here being "Unknown", no name was given. Certain Paul did not use the name Zeus to preach! Part of why Israel had to go into exile was because they substituted Baal for YHWH.
Psalm 124:8 Our help is in the name of the LORD (YHWH), Who made heaven and earth.
Is that name Allah?
Re: Church torched over use of the word "Allah" for the Christian God by Recognise: 10:07pm On Jan 08, 2010
Aletheia:

I would beg to disagree with you sir.

The altar in Athens had the inscription: "To an Unknown God".

The operative word here being "Unknown", no name was given.

Certain Paul did not use the name Zeus to preach!

Part of why Israel had to go into exile was because they substituted Baal for YHWH.

Psalm 124:8  Our help is in the name of the LORD (YHWH), Who made heaven and earth.

Is that name Allah?

@Aletheia

My noble sire . . .

My bad, let me reload that

In certain context "Christian" God and "Allah" might be the same

beyond this peculiarity "Allah" is not "Christian" God or vice versa

Notice the distinction of the two words I used - "Allah" and "Allah"; one was in italic, other was in plain texts

I am not subscribing that Allah is God or vice versa

rather certainly in perculiar instances "Allah" when used like "Olorun" "Chineke" "Eledumare" etc in a christian context is God.

I am blessed, delighted and thank God; you, know His name, proper.

I was rushed, still made a boo-boo inspite of looking the posting over 5-plus times for error(s) before submitting. Thanks for the observation

Allah worshipped by Muslims is not God and God worshipped by "christians" is not Allah

Meanwhile "Allah" used by the Malays is . . .

Let catch a fish first and have it in hand before skinning it, eh?

(1) (Reply)

Hitler 'died In Argentina' 17 years after the WAR in collaboration with the FBI / The Abdication Of ‘Queen’ Elizabeth II We Are NOW In An Interregnum / Hussein Khomeini (khomini Grandson) Calls For The Overthrow Of Govt. In Iran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.