Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,125 members, 7,829,008 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Who Is The Holy Spirit? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Is The Holy Spirit? (2235 Views)

Does Anyone Really Have The Holy Spirit? / You Are A Spirit That Lives In A Body / "Buhari Will Bring Doom To Nigeria": Father Obimma, What Holy Spirit Told Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Holy Spirit? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:50pm On May 06, 2017
Who is the Holy Spirit? Is the Holy Spirit God? Is the Holy Spirit the Third Person of the Trinty?
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by joyandfaith: 2:55am On May 07, 2017
The holy spirit is God’s power in action, his active force. ( Micah 3:8; Luke 1:35 ) God sends out his spirit by projecting his energy to any place to accomplish his will.— Psalm 104:30; 139:7 .
In the Bible, the word “spirit” is translated from the Hebrew word ruʹach and the Greek word
pneuʹma. Most often, those words refer to God’s active force, or holy spirit. ( Genesis 1:2 ) However, the Bible also uses those words in other senses:
Breath.— Habakkuk 2:19; Revelation 13:15 .
Wind.— Genesis 8:1; John 3:8 .
The vital, or animating, force in living creatures.— Job 34:14, 15 .
A person’s disposition or attitude.— Numbers 14:24 .
Spirit persons, including God and the angels.— 1 Kings 22:21; John 4:24 .
These meanings all share the sense of something invisible to humans that produces visible effects. Similarly, the spirit of God, “like the wind, is invisible, immaterial and powerful.”— An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, by W. E. Vine.
The Bible also refers to God’s holy spirit as his “hands” or “fingers.” ( Psalm 8:3; 19:1; Luke 11:20 ; compare Matthew 12:28 .) Just as a craftsman uses his hands and fingers to do his work, God has used his spirit to produce such results as the following:
The universe.— Psalm 33:6; Isaiah 66:1, 2 .
The Bible.— 2 Peter 1:20, 21.
The miracles performed by his ancient servants and their zealous preaching.— Luke 4:18; Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 .
The fine qualities displayed by people who obey him.— Galatians 5:22, 23 .
The holy spirit is not a person
By referring to God’s spirit as his “hands,” “fingers,” or “breath,” the Bible shows that the holy spirit is not a person. ( Exodus 15:8, 10) A craftsman’s hands cannot function independent of his mind and body; likewise, God’s holy spirit operates only as he directs it. ( Luke 11:13 ) The Bible also compares God’s spirit to water and associates it with such things as faith and knowledge. These comparisons all point to the impersonal nature of the holy spirit.— Isaiah 44:3; Acts 6:5; 2 Corinthians 6:6 .
The Bible gives the names of Jehovah God and of his Son, Jesus Christ; yet, nowhere does it name the holy spirit. ( Isaiah 42:8; Luke 1:31 ) When the Christian martyr Stephen was given a miraculous heavenly vision, he saw only two persons, not three. The Bible says: “He, being full of holy spirit, gazed into heaven and caught sight of God’s glory and of Jesus standing at God’s right hand.” ( Acts 7:55 ) The holy spirit was God’s power in action, enabling Stephen to see the vision.
Misconceptions about the holy spirit
Misconception: The “Holy Ghost,” or holy spirit, is a person and is part of the Trinity, as stated at 1 John 5:7, 8 in the King James version of the Bible.
Fact: The King James version of the Bible includes at 1 John 5:7, 8 the words “in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth.” However, researchers have found that those words were not written by the apostle John and so do not belong in the Bible. Professor Bruce M. Metzger wrote: “That these words are spurious and have no right to stand in the New Testament is certain.”— A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament.
Misconception: The Bible personifies the holy spirit, and this proves that it is a person.
Fact: The Scriptures do at times personify the holy spirit, but this does not prove that the holy spirit is a person. The Bible also personifies wisdom, death, and sin. ( Proverbs 1:20; Romans 5:17, 21 ) For example, wisdom is said to have “works” and “children,” and sin is depicted as seducing, killing, and working out covetousness.— Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:35; Romans 7:8, 11 .
Similarly, when the apostle John quoted Jesus, he personified the holy spirit as a “helper” (paraclete) that would give evidence, guide, speak, hear, declare, glorify, and receive. He used masculine personal pronouns such as “he” or “him” when referring to that “helper.” ( John 16:7-15 ) However, he did so because the Greek word for “helper” ( pa·raʹkle·tos ) is a masculine noun and requires a masculine pronoun according to the rules of Greek grammar. When John referred to the holy spirit using the neuter noun pneuʹma,
he used the genderless pronoun “it.”— John 14:16, 17.
Misconception: Baptism in the name of the holy spirit proves that it is a person.
Fact: The Bible sometimes uses “name” to stand for power or authority. ( Deuteronomy 18:5, 19-22; Esther 8:10 ) This is similar to its use in the English expression “in the name of the law,” which does not mean that the law is a person. A person who is baptized “in the name of ” the holy spirit recognizes the power and role of the holy spirit in accomplishing God’s will.—
Matthew 28:19 .
Misconception: Jesus’ apostles and other early disciples believed that the holy spirit was a person.
Fact: The Bible does not say that, nor does history. The Encyclopædia Britannica states: “The definition that the Holy Spirit was a distinct divine Person . . . came at the Council of Constantinople in ad 381.” This was over 250 years after the last of the apostles had died.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by fineboynl(m): 6:20am On May 07, 2017
a prophet who can't prophecy just 10 bet9ja odds for his members to become rich. is that one a prophet??

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Emusan(m): 2:14pm On May 07, 2017
joyandfaith:
The holy spirit is God’s power in action, his active force. ( Micah 3:8; Luke 1:35 ) God sends out his spirit by projecting his energy to any place to accomplish his will.— Psalm 104:30; 139:7 .
In the Bible, the word “spirit” is translated from the Hebrew word ruʹach and the Greek word
pneuʹma. Most often, those words refer to God’s active force, or holy spirit. ( Genesis 1:2 ) However, the Bible also uses those words in other senses:
Breath.— Habakkuk 2:19; Revelation 13:15 .
Wind.— Genesis 8:1; John 3:8 .
The vital, or animating, force in living creatures.— Job 34:14, 15 .
A person’s disposition or attitude.— Numbers 14:24 .
Spirit persons, including God and the angels.— 1 Kings 22:21; John 4:24 .
These meanings all share the sense of something invisible to humans that produces visible effects. Similarly, the spirit of God, “like the wind, is invisible, immaterial and powerful.”— An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, by W. E. Vine.
The Bible also refers to God’s holy spirit as his “hands” or “fingers.” ( Psalm 8:3; 19:1; Luke 11:20 ; compare Matthew 12:28 .) Just as a craftsman uses his hands and fingers to do his work, God has used his spirit to produce such results as the following:
The universe.— Psalm 33:6; Isaiah 66:1, 2 .
The Bible.— 2 Peter 1:20, 21.
The miracles performed by his ancient servants and their zealous preaching.— Luke 4:18; Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 .
The fine qualities displayed by people who obey him.— Galatians 5:22, 23 .
The holy spirit is not a person
By referring to God’s spirit as his “hands,” “fingers,” or “breath,” the Bible shows that the holy spirit is not a person. ( Exodus 15:8, 10) A craftsman’s hands cannot function independent of his mind and body; likewise, God’s holy spirit operates only as he directs it. ( Luke 11:13 ) The Bible also compares God’s spirit to water and associates it with such things as faith and knowledge. These comparisons all point to the impersonal nature of the holy spirit.— Isaiah 44:3; Acts 6:5; 2 Corinthians 6:6 .
The Bible gives the names of Jehovah God and of his Son, Jesus Christ; yet, nowhere does it name the holy spirit. ( Isaiah 42:8; Luke 1:31 ) When the Christian martyr Stephen was given a miraculous heavenly vision, he saw only two persons, not three. The Bible says: “He, being full of holy spirit, gazed into heaven and caught sight of God’s glory and of Jesus standing at God’s right hand.” ( Acts 7:55 ) The holy spirit was God’s power in action, enabling Stephen to see the vision.
Misconceptions about the holy spirit
Misconception: The “Holy Ghost,” or holy spirit, is a person and is part of the Trinity, as stated at 1 John 5:7, 8 in the King James version of the Bible.
Fact: The King James version of the Bible includes at 1 John 5:7, 8 the words “in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth.” However, researchers have found that those words were not written by the apostle John and so do not belong in the Bible. Professor Bruce M. Metzger wrote: “That these words are spurious and have no right to stand in the New Testament is certain.”— A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament.
Misconception: The Bible personifies the holy spirit, and this proves that it is a person.
Fact: The Scriptures do at times personify the holy spirit, but this does not prove that the holy spirit is a person. The Bible also personifies wisdom, death, and sin. ( Proverbs 1:20; Romans 5:17, 21 ) For example, wisdom is said to have “works” and “children,” and sin is depicted as seducing, killing, and working out covetousness.— Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:35; Romans 7:8, 11 .
Similarly, when the apostle John quoted Jesus, he personified the holy spirit as a “helper” (paraclete) that would give evidence, guide, speak, hear, declare, glorify, and receive. He used masculine personal pronouns such as “he” or “him” when referring to that “helper.” ( John 16:7-15 ) However, he did so because the Greek word for “helper” ( pa·raʹkle·tos ) is a masculine noun and requires a masculine pronoun according to the rules of Greek grammar. When John referred to the holy spirit using the neuter noun pneuʹma,
he used the genderless pronoun “it.”— John 14:16, 17.
Misconception: Baptism in the name of the holy spirit proves that it is a person.
Fact: The Bible sometimes uses “name” to stand for power or authority. ( Deuteronomy 18:5, 19-22; Esther 8:10 ) This is similar to its use in the English expression “in the name of the law,” which does not mean that the law is a person. A person who is baptized “in the name of ” the holy spirit recognizes the power and role of the holy spirit in accomplishing God’s will.—
Matthew 28:19 .
Misconception: Jesus’ apostles and other early disciples believed that the holy spirit was a person.
Fact: The Bible does not say that, nor does history. The Encyclopædia Britannica states: “The definition that the Holy Spirit was a distinct divine Person . . . came at the Council of Constantinople in ad 381.” This was over 250 years after the last of the apostles had died.

Typical JWs lies copy and paste.

If Holy Spirit isn't a person then it means Jehovah is talking to himself when the Bible says: "However, when that one* comes, the spirit of the truth, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own initiative, but what he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things to come." NWT

Here Jesus said, "...what he hears he will speak"... which means the Holy spirit can be communicate to.

Also, here your own Bible version said, "HIS OWN INITIATIVE" Please give me just one inanimate thing that has HIS OWN INITIATIVE.

In fact in John 16 you will see many Jesus' statement that proves Holy spirit to be person.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by orunto27: 4:08pm On May 07, 2017
Start from The Word that was God.
The Word pairs into Planning on the one hand and Control on the other hand.
Planning and Control are scheduled to Report often and regularly to The Word on their actions, interactions and movements.
Planning is good, holy and righteous. It's Creation.
Control reports on Exception principles back to the Word for corrective actions. Where it fails to do so and takes laws into its hand, it becomes bad, a law breaker and Secretary to Buhari sacking Punchman without authority from Buhari.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Peacefullove: 4:39pm On May 07, 2017
Numbers 11:25

" And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: " King James Version

there lies your answer, holyspirit an IT , go figure.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by MightySparrow: 6:04pm On May 07, 2017
According JW,s God is a spirit snd a person
Jesus was a mighty spirit and a person before his advent
Angel, demons are spirits and personaltirs with even names and human qualities and could be seen in some shapes.
human spirits and ghosts are life forces; Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost are forces, nothing more.

which means:
mercedes is a car, a vehicle
Toyota is a car, a vehicle
volvo is a car, not a vehicle.

Something is wrong somewhere, could anyone please tell us?

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by CandidSeeker(m): 9:47pm On May 07, 2017
THE HOLYSPIRIT IS A PERSON!

The HOLYSPIRIT is a person of The Processed (Glorified) Christ that came into us as a QUICKENING or LIFE-GIVING Spirit to regulate us from within, so that we can express The Kingdom of God (this requires conscious yielding by the believer).

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) - John 7:38-39

…And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening (Life-Giving)spirit. – 1Cor.15:45

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that HE may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

-John 14:16-20

-Peace.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by joyandfaith: 10:22pm On May 07, 2017
Emusan:

If Holy Spirit isn't a person then it means Jehovah is talking to himself when the Bible says: "However, when that one* comes, the spirit of the truth, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak of his own initiative, but what he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things to come." NWT

Here Jesus said, "...what he hears he will speak"... which means the Holy spirit can be communicate to.

Also, here your own Bible version said, "HIS OWN INITIATIVE" Please give me just one inanimate thing that has HIS OWN INITIATIVE.

In fact in John 16 you will see many Jesus' statement that proves Holy spirit to be person.

From your erroneous view, wisdom, sin etc are also persons? The Scriptures do at times personify the holy spirit, but this does not prove that the holy spirit is a person. The Bible also personifies wisdom, death, and sin. ( Proverbs 1:20; Romans 5:17, 21 ) For example, wisdom is said to have “works” and “children,” and sin is depicted as seducing, killing, and working out covetousness.— Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:35; Romans 7:8, 11
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by joyandfaith: 10:44pm On May 07, 2017
Peacefullove:
Numbers 11:25

" And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: " King James Version

there lies your answer, holyspirit an IT , go figure.

wao. nice
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by malvisguy212: 8:32am On May 08, 2017
joyandfaith:

From your erroneous view, wisdom, sin etc are also persons? The Scriptures do at times personify the holy spirit, but this does not prove that the holy spirit is a person. The Bible also personifies wisdom, death, and sin. ( Proverbs 1:20; Romans 5:17, 21 ) For example, wisdom is said to have “works” and “children,” and sin is depicted as seducing, killing, and working out covetousness.— Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:35; Romans 7:8, 11
if the Holy spirit is an active force then everyone will be entitled it, both the godly and ungodly.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by orunto27: 4:20pm On May 08, 2017
It is The Oracle and The Miracle Wand in God and in Christ Jesus.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by ChiomaMee: 4:41pm On May 08, 2017
malvisguy212:
if the Holy spirit is an active force then everyone will be entitled it, both the godly and ungodly.

Did u get what it's called HOLY SPIRIT!

Quit trying to justify what's not right
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by malvisguy212: 5:06pm On May 08, 2017
ChiomaMee:

Did u get what it's called HOLY SPIRIT!

Quit trying to justify what's not right
I want to write a long epistle, but instead I say no,let me ask you a question first. who did Annanias lied to in Acts 5:1-6 ?
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by ChiomaMee: 5:17pm On May 08, 2017
malvisguy212:
I want to write a long epistle, but instead I say no,let me ask you a question first. who did Annanias lied to in Acts 5:1-6 ?

"I wanted to write a long epistle but I decided against it. Let me ask me a question, who did Annanias lie to?"......it's better this way sir.

Annanias lied to the Holy spirit.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by malvisguy212: 5:23pm On May 08, 2017
ChiomaMee:

"I wanted to write a long epistle but I decided against it. Let me ask me a question, who did Annanias lie to?"......it's better this way sir.

Annanias lied to the Holy spirit.
very good. can you lied to an IT ?

Then in verse 4, who is Ananias accused of lying to? God. is God an It ?
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by ChiomaMee: 5:54pm On May 08, 2017
malvisguy212:
very good. can you lied to an IT ?

Then in verse 4, who is Ananias accused of lying to? God. is God an It ?

In my bible, I see nowhere God or the Holy spirit was referred to as "it"
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by malvisguy212: 6:11pm On May 08, 2017
ChiomaMee:

very good bro. so afteral you are not a jehovah witness , next time read the argument very well. thank you.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by johnw74: 3:31am On May 09, 2017
The spirit of God is of course the Holy Spirit:
Mat_3:16  And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

And the spirit of God is the spirit of Christ:
Rom_8:9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

The Holy spirit moved upon the face of the waters

The Word created all that was created

Gen 1:2  And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Joh 1:3  All things were made by him;(the Word) and without him(the Word) was not any thing made that was made.

Again the Word of God is the Holy Spirit:
Psa 33:6  By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

God and the Word is God:
Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God

Gen 1:1  In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by MightySparrow: 12:40pm On May 10, 2017
Emusan:

Don't mind the deluded JW's for their false witnesses. They claim to have correect knowledgde of scriptures and cannot learn from any other denominations. Yet in case of serious spiritual problems they go to charms and hebralists. They explain away the person of Holy Spirit with secular dictionaries and encyclopeadia. Yet these books are written by mere observers not those that have experiece with Holy Spirit as they don't have.

I challenge any JW member who has the experience of The Holy Ghost outlined in I Corinthians 11. who still hold such views of JW's. to write in this thread.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Peacefullove: 6:23pm On May 10, 2017
ChiomaMee:

So funny grin, despite all the sunday jamboree, Most of you don't even read your holy book.

Numbers 11:25 , Holy spirit an IT

more-

" The Spirit it self beareth witness with our
spirit, that we are the children of God:" Rome 8:16, Can you see now ?
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by ChiomaMee: 8:00pm On May 10, 2017
Peacefullove:

So funny grin, despite all the sunday jamboree, Most of you don't even read your holy book.

more-

Before you spill gibberish, I was actually referring to the context Act 4&5
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Emusan(m): 8:06am On May 11, 2017
Peacefullove:

more-

If this is true, then it means Jesus, you and the rest of the world are not a person since the scripture refers to them as IT

I always laugh at JWs whenever they come with flimsy excuse as this one.

I don't want to respond to your post before but it's like you see your delusion as truth and taking delight on it.

1. Gender of a word has nothing to do with identity. It has to do with the language. Gender belongs to the language of the word, not to the case of, or the object of the word.
2. Infants (Lk 1:41,44; 2:16; 18:15) and children (Mk 5:39-41) are also neuter in the Greek in exactly the same way Holy Spirit is neuter gender.
3. Girl is a neuter noun in Mt 9:24, 25; Mk 5:41, 42.
4. Angels are neuter pneuma " IT " spirits in Heb 1:14
5. Demons are neuter pneuma " IT " spirits over 45 times in scripture.
6. The word "Spirit" is feminine in Genesis 1:2: "the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters".
7. A masculine pronoun ("He" Greek: ekeinos, literal "that One"wink is applied to the Holy Spirit throughout the New Testament despite the fact that "Spirit" (Greek: pneuma) is neuter. Is God trying to confuse us? Or is God taking special steps to make sure we understand the Holy Spirit is a person?
8. The word spirit is frequently "neuter gender" when it refers to the Father in Jn 4:24, to Jesus in 1Cor 15:45, to baby Jesus, in Mt 2:8, 11, 13, 14, 19-21,

Such an argument displays a dismal understanding of the Greek language. So should now agree that Jehovah is not a person since a neuter word was used for Him?

People who were referred to as "IT" in the scripture:
1.Jesus is referred to as "IT" 5 times in: Mt 2:8, 11, 13, 14, 20, 21
2.John the Baptist is referred to as IT 8 times: Lk1:59, 60, 62, 63, 66, 67
3.Humans are called "it": "And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. John 6:39
4.The men living in the world are called an "its" in John 14:17 " Spirit of the truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him"

I think this is enough for you and your co deceiver.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Peacefullove: 1:17pm On May 11, 2017
ChiomaMee:

Before you spill gibberish, I was actually referring to the context Act 4&5

ChiomaMee

"In my bible, I see nowhere
God or the Holy spirit
was referred to as "it".

But you can Lie sha ? You are reffering to Act 4&5 but yet in your bible you see NOWHERE . Chai
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Peacefullove: 2:10pm On May 11, 2017
The next time you address me, dont bring up JW .. for the records you ain't speaking with a JW

Emusan:

If this is true, then it means Jesus, you and the rest of the world are not a person since the scripture refers to them as IT

I always laugh at JWs whenever they come with flimsy excuse as this one.

I don't want to respond to your post before but it's like you see your delusion as truth and taking delight on it.

1. Gender of a word has nothing to do with identity. It has to do with the language. Gender belongs to the language of the word, not to the case of, or the object of the word.
2. Infants (Lk 1:41,44; 2:16; 18:15) and children (Mk 5:39-41) are also neuter in the Greek in exactly the same way Holy Spirit is neuter gender.
3. Girl is a neuter noun in Mt 9:24, 25; Mk 5:41, 42.
4. Angels are neuter pneuma " IT " spirits in Heb 1:14
5. Demons are neuter pneuma " IT " spirits over 45 times in scripture.
6. The word "Spirit" is feminine in Genesis 1:2: "the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters".
7. A masculine pronoun ("He" Greek: ekeinos, literal "that One"wink is applied to the Holy Spirit throughout the New Testament despite the fact that "Spirit" (Greek: pneuma) is neuter. Is God trying to confuse us? Or is God taking special steps to make sure we understand the Holy Spirit is a person?
8. The word spirit is frequently "neuter gender" when it refers to the Father in Jn 4:24, to Jesus in 1Cor 15:45, to baby Jesus, in Mt 2:8, 11, 13, 14, 19-21,

Such an argument displays a dismal understanding of the Greek language. So should now agree that Jehovah is not a person since a neuter word was used for Him?

People who were referred to as "IT" in the scripture:
1.Jesus is referred to as "IT" 5 times in: Mt 2:8, 11, 13, 14, 20, 21
2.John the Baptist is referred to as IT 8 times: Lk1:59, 60, 62, 63, 66, 67
3.Humans are called "it": "And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. John 6:39
4.The men living in the world are called an "its" in John 14:17 " Spirit of the truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him"

I think this is enough for you and your co deceiver.

and so ?

Remember the same bible also called many others like Earth, Love , Tree , Sea etc with IT , yet you would agree with me that they are not persons, are they? , So its still right that IT doesn't denote a person .

infact in some cases, all this figures are given personality traits despite been an IT .

Now lets come back to the absurd cases you cite above before we know which group this holyspirit belongs , There are good evidences that those you mentioned above are person's on their own and thus showed how the use of grammar should be viewed when it comes to them. and holyspirit doesn't belong to this group, consider this

* The Father , the word father alone indicates this is a personality, a Person, the Jews named him Yahweh . Same when it comes to Son named Jesus, this are personality traits. , John the baptist is an human . he is a person

and when it comes to angels , many times they appeared as humans ( Just as Yeshua did ) further prove they are real persons , Can you show me one single place where either Father , Son or their angels appeared in the body form of an animal ? they dont ! funny enough, Your God the holy spirit never for once appear as an human being, When it was sighted, it was in the bodily form of a DOVE . is that a person ? So when You see passages using IT for holyspirit, know where it belong. thats why my first post said " GO FIGURE " .
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 11, 2017
Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity, Trinity consists of 3 persons
God the Father-father of Jesus Christ
God the Son-Jesus Christ
God the Holy Spirit - Spirit of God the Father

The Bible says, sin against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable, it's because you are insulting the spirit of the most high.

I ll probably get you biblical reference on demand
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Peacefullove: 2:34pm On May 11, 2017
bodysoul:
Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity,

Really ? yet it was so insignificant that Paul in all his epistles never says blessed be the God and Father of Jesus Christ AND the third person of holy spirit . How come ? grin grin

it was so insignificant that When asked if he knows the time of the end, Yeshua said he doesnt, even the angels dont know . so insignificant that he forgot to even mention this third person ?

tell me more ...

Trinity consists of 3 persons
God the Father-father of Jesus Christ
God the Son-Jesus Christ
God the Holy Spirit
- Spirit of God the Father

How many God did you mentioned up there ? be sincere

The Bible says, sin against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable, it's because you are insulting the spirit of the most high.

Mtcheew, I thought this holy spirit is a separate person from God as u said earlier ONLy for you to now say its the spirit OF the most High , that means its still a part of the most high NOT separate. third
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by orisa37: 3:14pm On May 11, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Who is the Holy Spirit? Is the Holy Spirit God? Is the Holy Spirit the Third Person of the Trinty?

It's The Word That was God in The ,Beginning and The Miracle Wand of God.
God is Omni potent and you can't teach that.
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 11, 2017
Peacefullove:

Really ? yet it was so insignificant that Paul in all his epistles never says blessed be the God and Father of Jesus Christ AND the third person of holy spirit . How come ? grin grin

it was so insignificant that When asked if he knows the time of the end, Yeshua said he doesnt, even the angels dont know . so insignificant that he forgot to even mention this third person ?

tell me more ...

How many God did you mentioned up there ? be sincere

Mtcheew, I thought this holy spirit is a separate person from God as u said earlier ONLy for you to now say its the spirit OF the most High , that means its still a part of the most high NOT separate. third

To clear all doubts you might have regarding the Holy Spirit, kindly read 1cor 2:10-14....i want you to read it with a clear mind.. .just assume that this is not an argument.

10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. 13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.

1 John 5:7 reads: For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one

Kindly read the NIV version for easy understanding.
I hope this clears your doubts
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by johnw74: 4:46am On May 12, 2017
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, God is a Spirit.
Some without saving faith(faith given by God) love to call God an "it"

Gen 1:1  In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 
Gen 1:2  And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Joh_4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

We are to be baptised in the authority of the Father, in the authority of the Son, and in the authority of the Holy Ghost, in other words in the authority of God.
We are not baptised in the name-authority of an "it":
Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name(authority) of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

We have Love and fellowship with persons, not with "it's":
2Co 13:14  The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion(fellowship) of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

Some without saving faith are blind to all the scriptures showing the Holy Spirit is a person-is God,
and see only one or two instances of the word "it" being used:

2Co_4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:04am On May 13, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

See the answer here:

https://www.gotquestions.org/who-Holy-Spirit.html
Re: Who Is The Holy Spirit? by Emusan(m): 9:13am On May 13, 2017
Peacefullove:
The next time you address me, dont bring up JW .. for the records you ain't speaking with a JW

Ok...

and so ?

Remember the same bible also called many others like Earth, Love , Tree , Sea etc with IT , yet you would agree with me that they are not persons, are they? , So its still right that IT doesn't denote a person.

See how confused you are, your initial point was that because "IT" was used for the Holyspirit then it means He's not a person.

infact in some cases, all this figures are given personality traits despite been an IT.

Just see how absurd the BOLD sounds. You said "So its still right that IT doesn't denote a person." and you still went ahead to say "all this figures are given personality traits despite been an IT.

It's obvious that you're confused.

Besides, are you saying Holyspirit wasn't giving a personality trait in the Scripture

Now lets come back to the absurd cases you cite above before we know which group this holyspirit belongs , There are good evidences that those you mentioned above are person's on their own and thus showed how the use of grammar should be viewed when it comes to them. and holyspirit doesn't belong to this group, consider this

* The Father , the word father alone indicates this is a personality, a Person, the Jews named him Yahweh . Same when it comes to Son named Jesus, this are personality traits. , John the baptist is an human . he is a person

and when it comes to angels , many times they appeared as humans ( Just as Yeshua did ) further prove they are real persons,

Very funny, see answer below.

Can you show me one single place where either Father , Son or their angels appeared in the body form of an animal? they dont!

Reading this really shows that you lack scripture understand and it's evidently cleared that what you need is Bible study class not this unsound online jamboree.

God appeared in form of burning bush
Devil (Which is an angel) appeared in form of Snake
Holy spirit appeared in form of DOVE and Tongue of fire

What is the different Does it mean that God and Devil are not a person?

funny enough, Your God the holy spirit never for once appear as an human being, When it was sighted, it was in the bodily form of a DOVE . is that a person ? So when You see passages using IT for holyspirit, know where it belong. thats why my first post said " GO FIGURE ".

From here, one can deduce that you failed to grab the symbolic representation of these appearances rather you focus on your perverted understanding by merely seeing the animal figure not the message they passed across.

¬God appeared to Moses in form of Burning Bush indicates that Moses is ready to be empowered and equip for a mission, Fire symbolises POWER
¬Devil appeared to Evil in form of Snake indicates that the deceiver has come, Snake symbolises poisonous and terrible thing.
¬Holy spirit appeared in form of DOVE indicates Jesus comes with peace and love, DOVE symbolises Peace and Love. Appeared in form of Tongues of Fire as an empowerment on the Apostles for a mission just as God did in case of Moses.

Evident amounts in the scripture that Holyspirit is a Person as He can
¬Hear (IS God talking to Himself)
¬Has a will
¬Speak
¬Has OWN initiative
¬Intercede for believers
¬Groan
¬be sinned against
¬Gives life e.t.c

Perhaps you'll say they are all personifications but let the truth of the scripture hit your mind.

Finally, the scripture makes it clear in 2 Corin 3:17-18 that "The Lord is THE SPIRIT"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Masturbation Is A Sin - 50 Cent / S*x in Church: Let’s Talk About ‘the H*rny Pastor’ / Photos Of A Dwarf Nigierian Pastor Preaching At A Crusade In Kaduna(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.