Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba (4224 Views)

Outrage In Ekiti PDP Over Secret Oath-Taking By Fayose’s Loyalists / Ebonyi Youths Charter 911 For Relocation Of Fulanis That Arrived At Mid Night / Fani-kayode Reacts To Call For Relocation Of Herdsmen From Southern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by laoluayoola: 3:14pm On May 08, 2017
[img][/img]

Chidi Samuel

In Umuahia, the administrative capital of Abia State, resentment is building over the alleged relocation of Government House from the city to Aba, the state’s commercial hub by the Governor Okezie Ikpeazu led administration.

Abia, one of the three oil-producing states in the South East Geopolitical Zone, has two major cities, one, Umuahia being the administrative capital whose economic livelihood depends largely on government activities, and Aba, the economic capital noted for commerce and industry, but residents of the later say the current administration has practically starved it of government presence and has instead made Aba both the administrative capital and the commercial city to the detriment of business there.

Source: https://alabingo.com/

An investigation by Alabingo.com since the beginning of the year indicates that the Governor Okezie Ikpeazu rarely sleeps at the Government House Umuahia. The business of Government is also conducted from Aba, the commercial town. The Governor from investigation comes to Umuahia for courtesy calls, even that is beginning to change as the Governor has started to receive those on courtesy visits in Aba.

One of such visits was the aborted visit of the American Ambassador to Abia state last month. The visit scheduled for Abia lodge Aba was canceled at the last minute.

Gov Ikpeazu recieving a delegation from the Chief of Naval Staff at Governors lodge Aba

The apparent relocation of Government House and activities has not gone unnoticed in the state. Prominent Abia indigenes are uncomfortable with the current situation and want Governor Ikpeazu to reverse the trend because according to them, the precedent is a bad one.

A respected retired Academician in Lagos who spoke to Alabingo on the condition that his name will not be mentioned in print, put it this way, ”imagine if President Buhari decides to rule from Katsina, what will Nigerians say? What message will that send? I don’t think that the Governor and those that advised him on this, thought through it, or maybe they don’t care!”.

Even the staff who work in Government House Umuahia and most of the ministries and government agencies are unhappy with the development except the ones of Ngwa extraction.

A domestic staff at Governor’s lodge Umuahia told this platform he could count on his fingertips the number of times Governor Ikpeazu has slept at Government House, Umuahia since he was sworn in almost two years ago. He recalled with amusement the drama that played out at Umuahia Government House, on June 27, 2016, when Justice Okon Abang sacked Ikpeazu as Governor of Abia State.

His words, ” My brother you needed to be here!… As usual, the Governor was not in Government house, as news made the round that Uche Oga, the court announced Governor of the state was on his way to take over the reigns of Government, people were running up and down, they were calling from Aba asking us to block every entrance to the lodge.”

That incident, which came to be known among mid-level and junior workers in Government house Umuahia as, ”the scramble for Akanu Ibiam House” forced the Governor to work from Umuahia for some days.

Abia Government House, Umuahia

Many civil servants at the state secretariat are equally unhappy with the situation and also the attempt by Ikpeazu administration to fill every available position in the state civil service with his kinsmen. A staff at the ministry of information who pleaded for anonymity decried the attempt by Ikpeazu to govern from Aba.

He said, ”This is unheard of in the history of this state but it is in line with the long-standing desire of Ngwa people to dominate the state. In fact, here in Umuahia, we call them the Fulani’s of Abia Politics. They do what they want without a care of how others feel.”

Businesses, especially, those who depend on Government patronage to thrive are also feeling the brunt of Governor Ikpeazu’s decision.

“Our business is suffering very badly,” said Mr. John Kalu who manages one of the biggest hotels along Government House Road, Umuahia. “I can easily count the number of clients I have had over the past few months.

“In the past, here used to be a beehive of activities, visitors after visitors to the Government House came to patronize us. But now, he said pointing at the reception, “see how the whole place is empty.”

The Chairman of Abia state chapter of APGA, Mr. Ehiemere in a telephone interview with our correspondent described the situation as a reflection of the confusion inherent in Ikpeazu’s administration. According to him what the state requires is change. The present Governor and the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, he said, has nothing to offer the people of Abia state.

Ehiemere said, ” There is no government in Abia, if you have a Government House and the Governor refuses to live there, what does that tell you? It is not a good thing. Even the Aba, the man ran to there is no road there!.”

When confronted with the issue, Mr Enyinnaya Apollos, the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, however, insisted that the claims were erroneous. He explained that although Umuahia is the administrative capital, the Abia State Government has Governor’s Lodges in both Umuahia and Aba, and that the governor do make use of both.

“I hope you know what you are talking about. Do you really know what you are talking about?” he queried.

“Is Aba in Abia State? Did they tell you whether the state government has a lodge in Aba? Abia State government has a governor’s lodge in Aba and Umuahia. Aba is the commercial capital of Abia State, Umuahia is the administrative capital.

“If the Abia State government has a governor’s lodge in Aba and Umuahia, it means the governor can stay in either the two. When people want to be mischievous, they go about telling all kinds of lies.”

He concluded that the governor lives in Umuahia nonetheless, but goes to Aba sometimes.

“The governor lives in governors lodge Umuahia, I repeat, the governor lives in governor’s lodge Umuahia and he goes to the governor’s lodge in Aba sometimes.”

Onyebuchi Ememanka, the special adviser to Governor Ikpeazu on new media also denied the allegation. In a telephone interview with our correspondent, Ememanka described the allegation as the handiwork of mischief makers.

According to him, ” There is no truth in the allegation. The seat of Government is in Umuahia. The Governors office is in Umuahia, the Deputy Governors office is in Umuahia, all the ministries are in Umuahia, as i speak to you, His Excellency is in his office in Umuahia, I am also speaking to you from Umuahia”.

Ememanka went further to explain that there is a government Lodge in Aba which predates Ikpeazu’s administration and because the administration has a deliberate strategy to develop Aba, the Governor uses the lodge when he is in Aba for inspection of ongoing projects.

He cited the example Former governor Peter Obi who spent more time in Onitsha as Governor of Anambra state because he needed to pay pay more attention to Onitsha, the commercial hub of the state.

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by hisgrace090: 3:24pm On May 08, 2017
Well in abia state everything goes.
You can't try such nonsence elsewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Tolexander: 3:37pm On May 08, 2017
Aba made government house!

3 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by IgbosAreGreat(f): 3:39pm On May 08, 2017
is not bad

well i even love it because Aba alone can generate huge revenue to Abia as a whole

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Agumbaa: 3:40pm On May 08, 2017
hisgrace090:

What happened to Aba? Can't he make use of govt lodge there?
Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by NOC1(m): 4:02pm On May 08, 2017
Noooo, Umuahia is not that developed despite the presence of the state capital, moving the capital to Aba will collapse that area.The should allow thing be the way they are.

5 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by IgbosAreGreat(f): 4:30pm On May 08, 2017
NOC1:
Noooo, Umuahia is not that developed despite the presence of the state capital, moving the capital to Aba will collapse that area.The should allow thing be the way they are.

they are not moving it to aba totally

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by ExplorerReturns(m): 4:46pm On May 08, 2017
I don't like this internal politics that the ngwa people is playing in abia state.

3 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Africonji: 4:52pm On May 08, 2017
ExplorerReturns:
I don't like this internal politics that the ngwa people is playing in abia state.

What is your concern in the matter? Why are you mentioning Ngwa in this matter? OVI is making serious efforts to take the state to the next level but enemies of progress want to paint it as if it is clannish. Getaway from here with your clannish sentiment. Enemy of progress.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by ExplorerReturns(m): 5:05pm On May 08, 2017
Africonji:

What is your concern in the matter? Why are you mentioning Ngwa in this matter? OVI is making serious efforts to take the state to the next level but enemies of progress want to paint it as if it is clannish. Getaway from here with your clannish sentiment. Enemy of progress.

young man stop spilling trash. I was two years old when my family came to aba and I have stayed for over two decades in aba so I have every right to voice my opinion on issues concerning the city and state as large.

those of us that reside in the state knows that the root of the problem is clannish so deal with it.

may 12th is around the corner and if he do not take time he will be booted out of office.

though I love the mans performance but he is still on a stolen mandate nevertheless

7 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Africonji: 5:08pm On May 08, 2017
ExplorerReturns:

young man stop spilling trash. I was two years old when my family came to aba and I have stayed for over two decades in aba so I have every right to voice my opinion on issues concerning the city and state as large.

those of us that reside in the state knows that the root of the problem is clannish so deal with it.

may 12th is around the corner and if he do not take time he will be booted out of office.

though I love the mans performance but he is still on a stolen mandate nevertheless

I know you are an enemy of progress. Whether you like it or not, May 12th or no May 12th, OVI is going nowhere until he complete 8-years. Enemy of progress.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by IgbosAreGreat(f): 5:20pm On May 08, 2017
okezie ikpeazu we know... whether enemy like it or not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by DLioness(f): 12:11am On May 09, 2017
hisgrace090:
wat abt dsame type of attentn givn to warri neglecting asaba during d tenure of ibori and co?

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Nobody: 4:35am On May 09, 2017
My wish is for Ikpeazu to make a difference. As for me Aba needs all the focus and attention. If the government relocates to Aba am sure it's because they want to bring radical and positive changes to the city. That is wisdom from the government and should not be condemned. The duo of Orji Uzo and Theodore Orgi have liquidated the opportunities of their zone. Nothing to show for their time in government. One of the most painful aspects is the way they allowed golden guinea breweries to rot. If all Ikpeazu can do in 8 years is develop Aba, so be it.

4 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by galaxi(m): 4:51am On May 09, 2017
This post is rubbish!
Ikpeazu is the best thing that have happened to Aba! and Abia in general!
Did T.A ORJI execute any project in aba or even umuahia while ruling from the umuahia office?
He abandoned us to suffer.
I am from Abia North and did not vote for Ikpeazu but fully in support of the Governor because he is transforming aba to the city we have all wished to have.
If ruling from aba will give us the desired change we have been searching for many years,every Abian will gladly accept it.
Home work for you! go round the state and tell us the number of roads that is under construction presently!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by AbuEzeFemi(m): 7:00am On May 09, 2017
DLioness:
wat abt dsame type of attentn givn to warri neglecting asaba during d tenure of ibori and co?
even if he rules from my room I don't mind

let us encourage him to delivered the goods
that's all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by glacswhite: 7:59am On May 09, 2017
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha....ooh oh...I love this I love this.....Imagine calling Ngwas Fulani of Abians(Umuahia) so the Fulani has decided to leave Abia(Umuahia) to Aba so that Abians(Umuahia) can be free....

why are they crying like fools...why can't those fools relocate their hotels to Aba....

for 18yrs Aba is getting attention for the 1st time and these fools want it not to happen...

Some people are shouting OVI out OVI out...I hope u guys can survive the outcome of it if he losses.... because Aba will be like Sambisa only indigenes will be left as Genocide will be much..

Osikamkwu 2.....Loading but this time is 100,000 Osikamkwu against Abia...

1 Like

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by castancassy2(m): 8:16am On May 09, 2017
there is governor's lodge in aba and umuahia. the governor is free to stay any where as far as he is working.
Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by cpapa: 9:00am On May 09, 2017
glacswhite:
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha....ooh oh...I love this I love this.....Imagine calling Ngwas Fulani of Abians(Umuahia) so the Fulani has decided to leave Abia(Umuahia) to Aba so that Abians(Umuahia) can be free....

why are they crying like fools...why can't those fools relocate their hotels to Aba....

for 18yrs Aba is getting attention for the 1st time and these fools want it not to happen...

Some people are shouting OVI out OVI out...I hope u guys can survive the outcome of it if he losses.... because Aba will be like Sambisa only indigenes will be left as Genocide will be much..

Osikamkwu 2.....Loading but this time is 100,000 Osikamkwu against Abia...
lies Uche ogah is not like that he will focus on everywhere dat y he is an industrialist
Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by nwadiuko1(m): 9:02am On May 09, 2017
he can lead from anywhere.......Aba is currently the war front so a leader leading from the war front is not bad
Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Cornerstone2020(m): 9:10am On May 09, 2017
ExplorerReturns:

Clannishness really? hypocrite where were you when T.A orji and kalu ruled Abia. they totally left Aba to die and decay.
Come may 12 you will be put to shame again thank God you acknowledge that he is working very well.
Enemy of progress

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Cornerstone2020(m): 9:19am On May 09, 2017
cpapa:
lies Uche ogah is not like that he will focus on everywhere dat y he is an industrialist

shut up . That is how imolites brought the devil upon themselves. in Okorocha.
How much do you know Abuja politicians previously it was Otti now it is Ogah you have failed already. desperate hater

1 Like

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by saintgp(m): 9:30am On May 09, 2017
Am sure d governor's lodge at aba wasn't build by him,meaning d place was meant to b occupied/use by a sitting governor,so if he decides to use it then no big deal.

1 Like

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by ExplorerReturns(m): 9:48am On May 09, 2017
Cornerstone2020:

Clannishness really? hypocrite where were you when T.A orji and kalu ruled Abia. they totally left Aba to die and decay.
Come may 12 you will be put to shame again thank God you acknowledge that he is working very well.
Enemy of progress

this has nothing to do with the orjis and to say that orji uzo kalu didn't work is like saying that mbakwe didn't work. the inner street roads of aba you are seeing today was built during orji kalus era, he loved aba the same way ovi love aba.

we know that ovi is working but he was not the choice of the people he was rigged into office and justice needs to be served without sentiments.
Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Ponponkon: 9:53am On May 09, 2017
ExplorerReturns:
Whenever the hatred you guys have for the Ngwa race comes to my mind, I always console myself with the fact that my best/closest friend is from Abiriba in Abia North. We have been friends since primary 2 and a times I just look at him as an angel from heaven. One funny thing is that even political differences have not succeed in separating us as he is card carrying member of APGA though we sometimes use the imaginary binocular to view each other,but I trust 90% that Kalunta cannot do me any harm.He is the only true brother I can count on outside Ngwaland. Well such is life.

1 Like

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Ponponkon: 9:57am On May 09, 2017
Abia has a governor's lodge in Aba,maybe Ikpeazu should turn it into a chalet for runs girls according some useless Abia minorities.

1 Like

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Ponponkon: 10:03am On May 09, 2017
ExplorerReturns:

this has nothing to do with the orjis and to say that orji uzo kalu didn't work is like saying that mbakwe didn't work. the inner street roads of aba you are seeing today was built during orji kalus era, he loved aba the same way ovi love aba.

we know that ovi is working but he was not the choice of the people he was rigged into office and justice needs to be served without sentiments.
Just say that he was not the choice of non-ukwangwas but the choice of UkwaNgwa people which by Gods grace happen to be the majority clan in Abia state. We did not bribe God to create us to be the majority nah

1 Like

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by ExplorerReturns(m): 10:36am On May 09, 2017
Ponponkon:
Whenever the hatred you guys have for the Ngwa race comes to my mind, I always console myself with the fact that my best/closest friend is from Abiriba in Abia North. We have been friends since primary 2 and a times I just look at him as an angel from heaven. One funny thing is that even political differences have not succeed in separating us as he is card carrying member of APGA though we sometimes use the imaginary binocular to view each other,but I trust 90% that Kalunta cannot do me any harm.He is the only true brother I can count on outside Ngwaland. Well such is life.

brother nobody hates ngwa people and the neglect of aba is not political but rather individual selfishness and greed on the part of the past governors, even ta orji wasn't able to do anything for his people in umuahia. what I meant by that post was that we shouldn't be playing clannish politics in abia state. we should first see ourselves as Igbo's first before our clans.
I am a resident of aba and I love what ovi is doing, I can't help but curse TA orji for his neglect of aba. the development of aba is the development of abia state and Igbo land as we all will feel the impact not just ngwa people.

peace

though the election result was manipulated but I believe it is the turn of ngwa people to rule abia state based on the zoning formula to ensure equity and justice. orji kalu=abia north, ta orji=abia south and ovi=abia south.

I wish ovi success because it is only a wicked soul that will not acknowledge his good works
Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by ExplorerReturns(m): 10:54am On May 09, 2017
Ponponkon:

brother nobody hates ngwa people and the neglect of aba is not political but rather individual selfishness and greed on the part of the past governors, even ta orji wasn't able to do anything for his people in umuahia. what I meant by that post was that we shouldn't be playing clannish politics in abia state. we should first see ourselves as Igbo's first before our clans.
I am a resident of aba and I love what ovi is doing, I can't help but curse TA orji for his neglect of aba. the development of aba is the development of abia state and Igbo land as we all will feel the impact not just ngwa people.

peace

though the election result was manipulated but I believe it is the turn of ngwa people to rule abia state based on the zoning formula to ensure equity and justice. orji kalu=abia north, ta orji=abia central and ovi=abia south.

I wish ovi success because it is only a wicked soul that will not acknowledge his good works
Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Cornerstone2020(m): 11:37am On May 09, 2017
ExplorerReturns:

You can serve him the justice. or you shut up .
we don't need distraction that is why Abia is where we are today . Abia has enriched judges through endless court cases . just look at Anambra , enugu and even Lagos with so much big weights they don't drag issues for so long . why ? may be you will say there's justice there out of your hypocrisy and hatred for Ngwa people.

2 Likes

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by sunsewa16: 12:03pm On May 09, 2017
that is why I don't support or buy the idea of biafra,just imagine complain,because he is working from aba,it has become an issue,whoever that is making an issue with this is an enemy to the state,simple, aba required his total 4yrs tenure attention 200percent with the level neglect aba experienced with previous government.

1 Like

Re: Outrage In Abia Over Ikpeazu’s ‘relocation’ Of Govt House To Aba by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 09, 2017
am tired of all this "oti was robbed " claim.Oti rigged vigorously too-ogha went about buying and sharing SUV's .D ukwa-ngwa people (with possibly the biggest population in Abia) got tired of receiving handouts, got their shit together and voted for their son. They have been vindicated by his performance in less than 2 years, and no matter what happens come Friday ovi has set a standard for governance (in terms of infrastructure) in Abia.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Asari Dokubo Advices Biafrans Against Reprisal Attack / Oshiomole Lists Conditions To Accept Senator Akpabio Into APC / 50% Of All The Poor People In The World Are in These Five Countries - World bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.