Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,499 members, 7,823,167 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us (6117 Views)

Our Maths Gurus Please Come In And Solve This For Me / OAU Ife Must Apologise To PUTME Candidates / I Apologise For My Insensitive Joke- Omega Chicks President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:41am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Now, what exactly is your argument? Cos I'm not really understanding.

That they did not explain the meaning of "of" or that the "o" is not "of" but "order"?
this should explain
Friedyokes:
okay see what you are doing ...you are explaining to me ...my point is that they didn't ...which leads me to believe that they did not know and if they did not know ...the 'of' which we were taught in the manner we were taught does not relate to multiplication or square root or powers...which makes them wrong
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:43am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Now, what exactly is your argument? Cos I'm not really understanding.

That they did not explain the meaning of "of" or that the "o" is not "of" but "order"?
you are saying 'of' means multiplication they taught 'of' to mean nothing
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:45am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
this should explain

My point is that the use of "of" rather than "order", is not incorrect. It can be defended.

I'm not trying to hold brief for the ignorance or knowledge of teachers.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:48am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
you are saying 'of' means multiplication they taught 'of' to mean nothing

As I have stated, my point is not to argue if they explained it or not.

What I'm saying is that the use of "of" in bodmas is not out of place.

Agreed, they may not know the exact meaning.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:48am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

My point is that the use of "of" rather than "order", is not incorrect. It can be defended.

I'm not trying to hold brief for the ignorance or knowledge of teachers.
the picture is saying the 'OF' as we were taught and as we understand is not what is ...if we were told 'OF' as u said means square root multiplication and powers ...do u think anyone wouldve disputed it
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:50am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

As I have stated, my point is not to argue if they explained it or not.

What I'm saying is that the use of "of" in bodmas is not out of place.

Agreed, they may not know the exact meaning.
okay then

Ur one of the few people who have given me an intelligent argument and that's cool
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:51am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
the picture is saying the 'OF' as we were taught and as we understand is not what is ...if we were told 'OF' as u said means square root multiplication and powers ...do u think anyone wouldve disputed it

You are still not getting my point.

My point is that, "of" in that acronym is not out of place, regardless of whichever way it was explained.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:53am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
okay then

Ur one of the few people who have given me an intelligent argument and that's cool

Thanks bro.

Infact, you held me throughout the night, it's almost daybreak here.

Different time zone.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Ichietome: 7:22am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Example pls.

As in come up with that complex mathematics solvable with BODMAS that cannot be solved without complying to the BODMAS order.

Meanwhile, I repeat, BODMAS is nothing but aid to memory.

Na lie. Some arithmetical problems require that you add before subtracting. Or that you solve the ones in bracket before moving on to the next.
I repeat it's not just a memory aid.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by pass111(m): 7:33am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Then, I ask again, what exactly is the difference between "order" and "of" in mathematics context?

But let me answer that.

In principle, no difference.

How?

Example;

4^3 implies 4 to the power of 3 or the "order" in which 4 should be multiplied by itself is 3.

How do you do that?

4×4×4=64. Is this not multiplication (of)?

with all due respect, I think your logic is flawed..

how do you translate 4½(four to the power of ½)
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by ameer2: 8:51am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

But I assure you, if you have cases involving several multiplication, addition and subtraction, I can solve them in which ever order without necessarily taking BODMAS into cognisance.

Gee..ah tek God beg u,beta lock up n stop disgracing yosef...

Are u trying to say

4 × 2 + 1= 8 + 1 =9 (taking multiplication first)
&
4 × 2 + 1= 5 × 2 = 10 (taking addition first)

Is dsame SMH
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Mightyraw(m): 10:03am On May 09, 2017
phililp:

literate..

"of" means multiplication in maths
"order" tells you what to do first
Order? What to do first,
Are u serious atal
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Mightyraw(m): 10:07am On May 09, 2017
pass111:

with all due respect, I think your logic is flawed..

how do you translate 4½(four to the power of ½)
He is right, Dats what order means,
I guess you know 4^1/2 is the square root of 4,
Thats the order of 1/2
Lets not argue blindly you don't have to be a genius to know that
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Mightyraw(m): 10:23am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Example pls.

As in come up with that complex mathematics solvable with BODMAS that cannot be solved without complying to the BODMAS order.

Meanwhile, I repeat, BODMAS is nothing but aid to memory.
I don't know if u are serious with that
But 2*2-2 won't give u same answer
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:46pm On May 09, 2017
Mightyraw:

I don't know if u are serious with that
But 2*2-2 won't give u same answer

8×3-12÷2+(3+4)-3+7.

Bodmas says this should be solved in this order; bracket, of (order), division, multiplication, addition and subtraction.

My own solution, starting from the left;

8×3= 24 (multiplication)

-12÷2=-6 (division)

3+4=7 (bracket)

-3+7=4 (addition)

Now, 24-6+(7)+4

Finally,

24-6+7+4=29

I did not comply with BODMAS.

Now, apply BODMAS to prove me wrong.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Mightyraw(m): 1:24pm On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

8×3-12÷2+(3+4)-3+7.

Bodmas says this should be solved in this order; bracket, of (order), division, multiplication, addition and subtraction.

My own solution, starting from the left;

8×3= 24 (multiplication)

-12÷2=-6 (division)

3+4=7 (bracket)

-3+7=4 (addition)

Now, 24-6+(7)+4

Finally,

24-6+7+4=29

I did not comply with BODMAS.

Now, apply BODMAS to prove me wrong.
Lol, why say - 2÷12
U don't have to manipulate to prove a point
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 1:35pm On May 09, 2017
Mightyraw:

Lol, why say - 2÷12
U don't have to manipulate to prove a point

Where is the manipulation? I hope you understands numbers.

Moreover, where did you see -2÷12? Not as if it is wrong if there is the need.

If you have a calculator, type -12÷2, and tell me if it wouldn't provide you with appropriate results.

Once again, as I have earlier stated in this thread, BODMAS is an aid to to memory for primary school children, not a formula.

And once you have the basic understanding of numbers, knowledge of BODMAS is not of any use.

B4 I go, note, 5-3 is same as -3+5

3-5×2 is same as 3+ (-5×2) and so on.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by yagozo: 3:46pm On May 09, 2017
nigeria teachers nawa o

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Mightyraw(m): 4:17pm On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Where is the manipulation? I hope you understands numbers.

Moreover, where did you see -2÷12? Not as if it is wrong if there is the need.

If you have a calculator, type -12÷2, and tell me if it wouldn't provide you with appropriate results.

Once again, as I have earlier stated in this thread, BODMAS is an aid to to memory for primary school children, not a formula.

And once you have the basic understanding of numbers, knowledge of BODMAS is not of any use.

B4 I go, note, 5-3 is same as -3+5

3-5×2 is same as 3+ (-5×2) and so on.
These ain't new to no one I guess u know,
If not for BODMAS u cud av done that has (3-5) *2
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 4:26pm On May 09, 2017
Mightyraw:

These ain't new to no one I guess u know,
If not for BODMAS u cud av done that has (3-5) *2

Get my argument clearly. I'm not undermining BODMAS.

My argument is that, it is AN AID TO MEMORY, not a formula.

The second aspect of my argument is that a simple mathematical expression can be simplified without necessarily complying with the order provided by BODMAS as I have demonstrated in that little analysis.

I may decide to solve multiplication before division while subtraction may still be resolved ahead of addition. Also, bracket may even come last if I want, as long as I comply with the basic principles of number manipulation. I have demonstrated all these with examples, what else do you want?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by cornelin(m): 4:40pm On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo and Friedyokes should come and shake hands in the spirit of sportsmanship.
It is very clear that once you understands how number works you don't need to follow BODMAS.
Both of you gave very intelligent and logical defence.
All these other Efiko wannabes is clear that they are yet to understand the primary basics of numbers

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 4:42pm On May 09, 2017
cornelin:
LionDeLeo and Friedyokes should come and shake hands in the spirit of sportsmanship.
It is very clear that once you understands how number works you don't need to follow BODMAS.
All these other Efiko wannabes is clear that they are yet to understand the primary basics of numbers

Thank you bro.

God bless.

I'm happy that someone is out there who understands my argument.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by sugarcoatted(f): 5:31pm On May 09, 2017
phililp:

literate..

"of" means multiplication in maths
"order" tells you what to do first

Order tells you what to do first lol. Lemme finish laughing first, hahahahahahaha. N u were busy arguing up and downn calling people 'dump ass'.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by pass111(m): 10:42pm On May 09, 2017
Mightyraw:
He is right, Dats what order means, I guess you know 4^1/2 is the square root of 4, Thats the order of 1/2 Lets not argue blindly you don't have to be a genius to know that
My question was not answered
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Mightyraw(m): 10:45pm On May 09, 2017
pass111:

My question was not answered
which question
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by CONFAMA: 12:50pm On May 10, 2017
Friedyokes:
you have to agree that math of this grade is considered high in the primary/js level where bodmas is being taught ...people with higher education may find it easier to calculate ....but then this is what is being taught to children ...and the point for creating bodmas was to simply it for children ...so would you say telling children that the 'O' means of while it means order(powers and square root) is right? which was the point of the picture

X raised to the power "of" y

Square root "of" x

Now that is the kind of "of" I was taught in primary school and it's correct
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by CONFAMA: 12:53pm On May 10, 2017
Friedyokes:
SOLVE THESE AND DO NOT USE BODMAS

THEN TELL ME THE ANSWER

30÷-5+4×-2+14=?

1+2×5=?

Nd for clarification bodmas is a rule that shows the order to which mathematical operations are carried out so the misinterpretation of that 'O' by teachers was wrong

Square root "of" x

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by CONFAMA: 12:54pm On May 10, 2017
phililp:

am getting outta here... u need sense bros... am still saying it.. apostle suleman gives it for free.

Square root "of" x

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by CONFAMA: 12:56pm On May 10, 2017
centK:
Seriously we need more than an apology, this is an eye opener anyways, guess there are more to things like this

Square root "of" x

The most suited word is exponentiation
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 12, 2017
LionDeLeo:

4×-2=-8
30÷-5=-6
+14
Now -8-6+14=0

Note, I performed multiplication b4 division (against BODMAS).

Second case, of course 5 & 2 must be multiplied first before adding to 1.

But I assure you, if you have cases involving several multiplication, addition and subtraction, I can solve them in which ever order without necessarily taking BODMAS into cognisance.

I repeat, BODMAS is simply a way of reminding you in case you forget, nothing more. It is not a formula.

Meanwhile, is this a complex math?

Do you even call this math?

Go and find out the difference between math and arithmetic.

I was expecting something like one complex integral calculus.

Dude, math is an important tool in my field of study and practice.

I assume this is an educational section so no offense...
I want to point Out that BODMAS/BOMDAS/PEDMAS
Are thesame, it doesn't matter if M happens b4 D...
we talking simple arithmetic, and yes bodmas is an important rule..
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 12, 2017
cornelin:

Even he does follow bodmas...
Understanding maths is understanding bodmas...
Its not like you need to put it to memory or something... when you know your numbers , you just know them .... we call that knowledge of operations...BODMAS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Most Mysterious Man In The World / 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? / Federal College Of Orthopaedic Technology Igbobi Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.