Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Igbo Names And Region - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Names And Region (5230 Views)

60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls / Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 12:56am On May 10, 2017
We all know how common variant names (aka Ngozi/Nkoli, Okeke/Okekere) are in the east, just like whole names unique to certain areas. Which ones do you think of?

I associate Nne/anna, Kalu and Ogbonna with the eastern/Cross River Igbo (Ohafia, Afikpo/Edda, Bende) and Agalamanyi with Nsukka area. How about unu?
Re: Igbo Names And Region by OMANBALA1: 2:00am On May 10, 2017
Common names found in Anambra axis....Osefo,Osegbo,Mbanefo,Okosa,Osakwe,Okonkwo,Okafor,Okwudili,Okosi,Okoli,Anulika,Chinelo,Ifeyinwa,Achebe,Oseloka,Ifediora,Umera,Odera.
All names with the root word ANI/ANA...Aniagbaoso,Aniegboka,Anielo,Ezeani,Anamalu...etc
All names with the root word ORA....Oranyelu,Oramalu,Oraka,Izuora..etc
Onyia,Onyilimba,Umeonyia,Onyiora,Onyiuke,Onyiba...etc
Ezelagbo,Nwogwa,Okagbue,Emordi,Muojekwu,Chukwujekwu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Names And Region by OMANBALA1: 2:14am On May 10, 2017
Nkiruka,Obiageli,Ogbenyeanu,Nkoli,Arinze,Amulunamma.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 2:29am On May 10, 2017
Osakwe sounds more like a Delta Igbo/Ika thing to me. Didn't know it's common in Omambala area

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by OMANBALA1: 2:30am On May 10, 2017
Imo...Duru,Okorafor,Okereke,Okorie,Okoro,Okwara,Opara

Abia...Udensi,Ogbonna,Kalu,Kanu...etc

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 2:32am On May 10, 2017
How about Ebonyi?
Re: Igbo Names And Region by OMANBALA1: 2:36am On May 10, 2017
Probz:
Osakwe sounds more like a Delta Igbo/Ika thing to me. Didn't know it's common in Omambala area

Well,now you know. In facct,we have more Osakwe which means Olisa kwelu in Omanbala than they have in Anioma.

W have more Olisa names than Anioma..Osegbo,Mbosa,Nwosa,Okosa,Osefo,Oseloka,Osemeka,Osakwe,Akosa.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by OMANBALA1: 2:39am On May 10, 2017
I dont know much about them but I know Onwe is a common name in Ebonyi

Enugu...Nnamani,Ugwu,Ogbodo,Odo,Nwodo,Chime..etc

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 1:40pm On May 11, 2017
OMANBALA1:
I dont know much about them but I know Onwe is a common name in Ebonyi

Enugu...Nnamani,Ugwu,Ogbodo,Odo,Nwodo,Chime..etc
Yeah, I know Ogbodo's common in Enugu.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by Nobody: 12:40am On May 19, 2017
Probz:
We all know how common variant names (aka Ngozi/Nkoli, Okeke/Okekere) are in the east, just like whole names unique to certain areas. Which ones do you think of?

I associate Nne/anna, Kalu and Ogbonna with the eastern/Cross River Igbo (Ohafia, Afikpo/Edda, Bende) and Agalamanyi with Nsukka area. How about unu?

Re: Igbo Names And Region by RedboneSmith(m): 1:13am On May 19, 2017
OMANBALA1:

In facct,we have more Osakwe which means Olisa kwelu in Omanbala than they have in Anioma.

W have more Olisa names than Anioma..

Doubtful. Can't dispute the presence of Osa and Ose names in Anambra, but they they don't have them more than Anioma.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by OMANBALA1: 5:20am On May 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Doubtful. Can't dispute the presence of Osa and Ose names in Anambra, but they they don't have them more than Anioma.

Make a list ,oga.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by RedboneSmith(m): 6:53am On May 19, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Make a list ,oga.

Osademe, Osakuni, Osakwe, Osamali, Osamezu, Osaneke, Osanweonye, Osanweuwa, Osayem, Oseamaka, Oseninisu, Osedum, Osejindu, Oseka/Oliseka, Osekeni, Osekwene, Osemeni, Osenyemba, Oseyemeke, Oseyeni, Oseyenum, et cetera et cetera.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Region by OMANBALA1: 1:08pm On May 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Osademe, Osakuni, Osakwe, Osamali, Osamezu, Osaneke, Osanweonye, Osanweuwa, Osayem, Oseamaka, Oseninisu, Osedum, Osejindu, Oseka/Oliseka, Osekeni, Osekwene, Osemeni, Osenyemba, Oseyemeke, Oseyeni, Oseyenum, et cetera et cetera.

Can you give the meaning of these names? Another question; is Osa and Ose the same thing?
Re: Igbo Names And Region by AtaniWarrior: 9:19pm On Jun 19, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Imo...Duru,Okorafor,Okereke,Okorie,Okoro,Okwara,Opara

Abia...Udensi,Ogbonna,Kalu,Kanu...etc
Is Okoronkwo a common name in Imo State too?

One of my relatives told me that Okoronkwo is mostly answered in Abia and Ebonyi states.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by agadez007(m): 11:43pm On Jun 19, 2017
okeke,okonkwo,Obiano/Obianyo,Okoye common names in Anambra state

okoli common in southern Anambra and Northern Imo

Njoku,Nnorom,Ajaero,Nnodim,Okorie Imo state
Re: Igbo Names And Region by ewa26: 12:38am On Jun 20, 2017
guys what's the difference between Igbo and yoruba jallof rice please? how do they cook am
Re: Igbo Names And Region by ewa26: 12:38am On Jun 20, 2017
RedboneSmith:

pls wats d difference between igbo and yoruba jollof rice
Re: Igbo Names And Region by Kirigidi(m): 11:03pm On Jun 21, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Can you give the meaning of these names? Another question; is Osa and Ose the same thing?
OSA and OSE are Edoid prefixes for GOD. Both names mean the same; i.e. they refer to GOD. E.g. Osamede, Osamwese, Osaretin are Bini-Ishan names making references to "OSANOBUA/ OSENOBUWE". Urhobo's actual ancient name for GOD is "OSONOBRUGHWE" which is similar to the Bini-Ishan's. The name "OGHENE" actually means "Lord". That was why the "king of Ife" in ancient times was known to Edoid people as "Oghene Uhe" meaning the "Lord of Ife". However, the name OGHENE is now exclusively being used to honour and refer to GOD by Urhobo-Isoko people.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by AtaniWarrior: 6:50am On Jul 04, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

Is Okoronkwo a common name in Imo State too?

One of my relatives told me that Okoronkwo is mostly answered in Abia and Ebonyi states.
Does anyone know the answer? lol
Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 10:13am On Jul 04, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

Does anyone know the answer? lol
I'd say so.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by AtaniWarrior: 5:01pm On Jul 04, 2017
Probz:
I'd say so.
Makes sense. I was told Okonkwo is more common in Imo State than Okoronkwo and people that answered Okoronkwo in Imo State were originally from Abia and Ebonyi States. I had doubts about that though.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 5:39pm On Jul 04, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

Makes sense. I was told Okonkwo is more common in Imo State than Okoronkwo and people that answered Okoronkwo in Imo State were originally from Abia and Ebonyi States. I had doubts about that though.
I have doubts too considering Abia and Ebonyi were both carved out of Imo State.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by AtaniWarrior: 5:56pm On Jul 04, 2017
Probz:
I have doubts too considering Abia and Ebonyi were both carved out of Imo State.
lol right

1 Like

Re: Igbo Names And Region by agadez007(m): 5:06pm On Jul 05, 2017
Okonkwo,Okeke,okoye,Okafor,whenever i see these names i know for sure the bearer is Anambra,though i have seen an Okafor from Imo state once,i was suprised
Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 8:57pm On Jul 06, 2017
agadez007:
Okonkwo,Okeke,okoye,Okafor,whenever i see these names i know for sure the bearer is Anambra,though i have seen an Okafor from Imo state once,i was suprised
Yeah. I knew one Okafor from Nkwerre where I stayed in Awka last year.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by agadez007(m): 10:29pm On Jul 06, 2017
Probz:
Yeah. I knew one Okafor from Nkwerre where I stayed in Awka last year.
i though Imo suppose to be Okoroafor and not okafor
Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 10:36pm On Jul 06, 2017
agadez007:
i though Imo suppose to be Okoroafor and not okafor
You could say the same about Iheanyi vs. Ifeanyi. I also know an Ifeanyi from Mbaise. That's the effect of dialect levelling in Igboland.
Re: Igbo Names And Region by ewa26: 8:36pm On Jul 07, 2017
Ingredients: ketchup na groundnut oil, 10 Nsukka pepe, em salt, crayfish, ogiri igbo, rice, dawadawa and vanilla ok
before you stat cooking you grind the crayfish and dawadawa, mix ketchup with oil, pound pepe with mortar and pestilence ok.

1. heat ketchup and peanut mix in pot, den add pepper, then d crayfish-okpeyi blend, and then when e don fry wello, you add ogiri and salt to taste ok. Then add water, cooked rice and a bit more salt ok. Then when the rice is soft and well done, add vanilla on top for sweetness in the absence of nchanwu ok.

Serve with jollof rice or fried eggs ok
Re: Igbo Names And Region by Eke40seven(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2017
These names are peculiar to Abians too, particularly the Bendes, Ohafia areas:
For females:
Uzoaru (Uzo aro), Orjiugo, Ugbalu (ogbei alu), Oyidiya (sounds more like 'Oyidiye' in the local dialect), Ori (Oriaku), Ucha, Nkediya, etc.

Males:
Anyaele, Ugorji, Ndukwo (Ndukwe), Iheke, Ejere, Ogbu, Ogburu, Uguru, Igwo (igwho), Eke, Oko (okobuo), Eme, ( I don't know if the full name is Emenike), Mbada, onyehara, Lekwuwa, Chukwu (notice, nothing attached), Elesie, Elendu, Onwuchekwa, Onwuka, Okai, etc...

CC. Bigfrancis1, Pazienza, probz, afam4eva/afam4ever
Do you know if these names are exclusive to these clans/regions/sub groups?
Modified..
Re: Igbo Names And Region by pazienza(m): 10:02pm On Jul 07, 2017
Kirigidi:

OSA and OSE are Edoid prefixes for GOD. Both names mean the same; i.e. they refer to GOD. E.g. Osamede, Osamwese, Osaretin are Bini-Ishan names making references to "OSANOBUA/ OSENOBUWE". Urhobo's actual ancient name for GOD is "OSONOBRUGHWE" which is similar to the Bini-Ishan's. The name "OGHENE" actually means "Lord". That was why the "king of Ife" in ancient times was known to Edoid people as "Oghene Uhe" meaning the "Lord of Ife". However, the name OGHENE is now exclusively being used to honour and refer to GOD by Urhobo-Isoko people.

Can you just keep your Edo /Edoid trouble out of Igbo thread.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Names And Region by Probz(m): 10:25pm On Jul 07, 2017
Eke40seven:
These names are peculiar to Abians too, particularly the Bendes, Ohafia areas:
For females:
Uzoaru (Uzo aro), Orjiugo, Ugbalu (ogbei alu), Oyidiya (sounds more like 'Oyidiye' in the local dialect), Ori (Oriaku), Ucha, Nkediya, etc.

Males:
Anyaele, Ugorji, Ndukwo (Ndukwe), Iheke, Ejere, Ogbu, Ogburu, Uguru, Igwo (igwho), Eke, Oko (okobuo), Eme, ( I don't know if the full name is Emenike), Mbada, onyehara, Lekwuwa, Chukwu (notice, nothing attached), Onwuchekwa, Onwuka, Okai, etc...

CC. Bigfrancis1, Pazienza, probz, afam4eva/afam4ever
Do you know if these names are exclusive to these clans/regions/sub groups?

I know one family from Nnewi who answer that surname so I dunno about that one.

Okai sounds eastern Igbo to the core though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Derin Ologbenla / Nigerian Wise Saying; Omode Gbon, Agba Gbon La Fi Da'le Ife! / Names Of Epie/atissa People Of Yenagoa And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.