Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,693 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start (8129 Views)

10 Reasons That Toyota Corolla Was Crowned Nigeria’s Car Of The Year 2019 / 5 Reasons Why Your Car May Lose Or Leak Oil / Things Your Car May Not Need (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by obafemee80(m): 1:23am On May 12, 2017
For a car to start properly, its electrical and fuel systems have to work in tandem to provide a steady supply of both fuel and electricity to a car’s engine. But, it any of the two systems get out of shape, it will cause your car to malfunction. Here are some of the most common reasons behind car start failure. Quick check of these might save you valuable time and effort.

No 1. Plugged fuel filter
A clogged fuel filter can simply prevent fuel from flowing into your vehicle’s engine, and that can prevent engine combustion. Ironically, this fuel filter is necessary to prevent dirt and other debris from clogging your vehicle’s fuel delivery system, a condition that severely disrupts engine performance.

No 2. Bad spark plug
A spark plug in your car ignites compressed fuels such as aerosol, gasoline, ethanol, and liquefied petroleum gas by means of an electric spark. If your car doesn’t start then it’s a pretty good guess that the spark plug or plugs in your car have gone wrong.

No 3. Faulty crank sensor
The Crank Sensor, also known as the CPK, or crank position sensor, is responsible for making sure that the engine cylinders fire in the proper order. Or more specifically it monitors the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. If your car won’t start it might be a good thing to check for a bad crank sensor.

No 4. Faulty alternator
The alternator’s job is to charge up your battery. If the alternator isn’t providing voltage, then your battery simply cannot hold the power sent to it and it won’t certainly be able to send any current to the engine. If the alternator is faulty then this is the culprit behind all the trouble and needs immediate replacement.

No 5. ECM/PCM failure
The ECM or Engine Control Module is actually the brain of your vehicle. It collects information from various sensors from the car and then sends out signals to items such as fuel injectors and timing to keep the engine running at its best for performance and fuel economy, whereas, PCM or the Powertrain Control Module, stops your engine RPMs from reaching critical levels.

If the ECM or the PCM fails then definitely it’s the one preventing your car from starting.

No 6. Timing belt failure
The timing belt controls the timings of your car engine’s valves. These belts must be periodically replaced at the manufacturer’s recommended distance and/or time periods. Failing to do so can result in complete breakdown or catastrophic engine failure which definitely can prevent the car from starting.

No 7. Bad Ignition Coil
The ignition coil is an induction coil in an automobile’s ignition system that transforms a storage battery’s 12 volts to the thousands of volts needed to spark the spark plugs .If there is a fault with you ignition coil, it can prevent electrical power from the vehicle’s battery from reaching the engine spark plugs.

No 8. Electric fuel pump failure
During the start cycle there is a fuel pump relay that takes over to run the fuel pump. After the engine is running that relay turns off and the current for the fuel pump is supplied via the oil pressure sending unit. If that relay fails then the car won’t start until the oil pressure is up to three or four PSI.

No 9. Dead battery
The most common of reasons behind a car not starting is a dead battery. When a battery dies or loses its charge, it also loses its electrical power. This prevents the battery from supplying the electrical power needed to start your car. A quick check can help your cause.

No 10. Bad starter motor
A starter motor is responsible for physically turning a vehicle’s engine and forcing the pistons up and down. When a starter goes bad, it lacks the strength to turn the vehicle engine, which prevents the entire engine combustion process from starting. In other words, if the starter motor is faulty, it won’t be able to utilize the power from the car battery, and the car won’t start.

http://realitypod.com/2011/04/15/top-10-reasons-why-your-car-may-not-start/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by SooCute(m): 3:45am On May 12, 2017
Nice one....well i have been driving for sometime now.
sometimes just come down from the car...walk around or even go nearby shop go buy gala..

come back, start am; ego start!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:29am On May 12, 2017
You forgot to add village people.

8 Likes

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by honmusa(m): 6:25am On May 12, 2017
what about kazeemisation
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Areaboy2(m): 6:27am On May 12, 2017
No fuel

You won't believe how common this is

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Goldenheart(m): 7:18am On May 12, 2017
Make I park here
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Dottore: 7:18am On May 12, 2017
Op your post is nice but do you know that you omitted two of the most important factor that could make your vehicle not to start especially Diesel Engine powered car:
1. EMPTY fuel Tank.

2 ENGINE OIL.
using the wrong rating of engine oil in cold weather would make your car not to start. You'd think there's serious issues from other components making you prey to our illiterate and ignorant mechanics as they will tamper with all manner of perfectly working components like injector, fuel pump, fuel filter, nozzles, plugs, coil, distributor, and even brain box.

I discussed that in an earlier topic:

https://www.nairaland.com/3791508/oil-specifications-explained-what-does

What's written on your oil bottle, and what does it mean?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Oluwasaeon(m): 7:19am On May 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
: grin grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Goldenheart(m): 7:22am On May 12, 2017
Areaboy2:
No fuel

You won't believe how common this is

True: My automatic won't start until there is a process pint of fuel in it
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by toluxa1(m): 8:07am On May 12, 2017
Security Feature not activated.
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by newfound2012: 8:09am On May 12, 2017
empty fuel tank
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by mrsage(m): 8:47am On May 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Very important point....

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by lonelydora: 8:53am On May 12, 2017
One bad thing about timing belt is you will be wondering why the car stopped and continue to crank the engine, by the time you are done, all your valves are gone.
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by adanny01(m): 9:36am On May 12, 2017
lonelydora:
One bad thing about timing belt is you will be wondering why the car stopped and continue to crank the engine, by the time you are done, all your valves are gone.

I have experienced this problem twice and would not mistake it next time.

It is usually too sudden that you know exactly what happened.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by lizberry1(f): 9:44am On May 12, 2017
morning everyone am a lady and have been driving my car for 2 years ...i notice when i start my car it will roll but wont start i called rewire and he said is fuel pump he change it and the car is moving well suddenly i notice my car consume too much fuel since i change the pum pls i need ur advice cos i called the rewire and he said i need to service the uternator
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Emassive(m): 9:48am On May 12, 2017
Ops. What's the specified Mileage for the replacement of timing belt for a 2000 Camry model please?.
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by urvillagepeoplee(m): 9:51am On May 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
we are not involve in car issues.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Emassive(m): 9:52am On May 12, 2017
Get that Rewire Shut by firing squad... You can check your alterternator by putting a metal object beside it while the vehicle is off if it will magnet on the metal object then it's bad but if not then it's OK. Run a Diagnoses to ascertain the fault as there are many things issues that could cause that happening t
lizberry1:
morning everyone am a lady and have been driving my car for 2 years ...i notice when i start my car it will roll but wont start i called rewire and he said is fuel pump he change it and the car is moving well suddenly i notice my car consume too much fuel since i change the pum pls i need ur advice cos i called the rewire and he said i need to service the uternator

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Emassive(m): 9:53am On May 12, 2017
lonelydora:

What's the specified Mileage for the replacement of timing belt for a 2000 Camry model please?.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Emassive(m): 9:55am On May 12, 2017
My car is currently on 151,200km and never changed the timing belt before. What do you think I should do in this case
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Emassive(m): 9:56am On May 12, 2017
My car is currently on 151,200km and never changed the timing belt before. What do you think I should do in this case

obafemee80
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by debawilliam1: 9:57am On May 12, 2017
Please, could we have a little sing or symptom of each cause and how to check for it.
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by lonelydora: 10:28am On May 12, 2017
Emassive:

What's the specified Mileage for the replacement of timing belt for a 2000 Camry model please?.

You can check your car's manual or Google it.
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Nobody: 10:36am On May 12, 2017
Faulty ect sensor....
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:31am On May 12, 2017

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by Areaboy2(m): 1:08pm On May 12, 2017
lonelydora:

Same. One of my pulleys broke off and timing belt fell. After cranking engine for so long I ended up changing the entire top. Chai

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by honmusa(m): 4:44pm On May 12, 2017
lizberry1:
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by honmusa(m): 4:54pm On May 12, 2017
lizberry1:
Service alternatorsYou need to run away from that rewire before he cause more harm
Check the fuel pump regulator .You will need fuel pressure tester diagnostic tool to comfirm this.Call autologic @08061166316 for this test.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:22pm On May 12, 2017
Emassive:

obafemee80
Emassive:

4clyinder or v6?
Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Your Car May Not Start by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:29pm On May 12, 2017
Emassive:
Get that Rewire Shut by firing squad... You can check your alterternator by putting a metal object beside it while the vehicle is off if it will magnet on the metal object then it's bad but if not then it's OK. Run a Diagnoses to ascertain the fault as there are many things issues that could cause that happening t

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5303306_img20170512182752_jpegdf2af89166478d109d083e99b4097970

grin grin grin Pot calling kettle black

Proper way to check a charging system is using a volt meter. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ford, Lincoln And Mercury Cars Thread / How To Drive In A Foggy Harmattan Weather / My Car Is Overheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.