Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,043 members, 7,835,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Senate Denies Issuing Ultimatum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Denies Issuing Ultimatum (591 Views)

Biafra: Ateke Denies Issuing 14 Days Ultimatum To Buhari / Senate Denies Plan To Jail Social Media Users Who Post Fake News For 2-yrs(pic / Senate Denies Endorsing Child Marriage Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Senate Denies Issuing Ultimatum by MAYOWAAK: 2:10pm On Jan 11, 2010
In a statement signed by Senate's spokesman,Ayogu Eze,yesterday,the upper legislative chamber denied media reports that it had given US a seven day ultimatum to reverse the classification.

The statement entitled:"The Senate did not issue a seven-day ultimatum" read:"We have followed with interest the misrepresentations in the media regarding our comments in rejecting the classification of Nigeria as a nation to be kept under watch in America"s fight against terrorism.

"At no point did the Senate give a seven -day ultimatum.What I said at the press briefing and this is verifiable from the bodies of the stories with the misleading headlines was that we rejected the classification and demanded that our name be taken off that list.

"I followed up by stating that when the Senate resumes next,it will engage all its diplomativ and legislative gears to bring about the reversal.

"It was therefore surprising that well-meaning Nigerians for whom the Senate has so much respect would be misled by these screaming headlines to make comments on the matter without first of all acquainting themselves with facts of the case.

"The comment by Prof. Wole Soyinka referring to the Senate position as being absurd is most unfortunate because I had expected that being one of the captains of the literary ship in Nigeria,he should have read the entire comment from the Senate before casting aspersion on the institution for something that did not happen at all.

"It is wrong for those the Senate holds in high esteem to attack its reputation and seek to rubbish its actions without justification.I am constrained to observe that Prof. Soyinka is gradually falling into this group of Nigerians who offer opinions hastily without first obtaining all sides to an issue.

"I wish to restate that the Senate rejects the obnoxious classification which was done without due consultation with relevant authorities in Nigeria.

"We also want to use this opportunity to restate our opposition to terrorism in any form from any quarters.

SOURCE :GUARDIAN MONDAY 11 JANUARY 2010
Re: Senate Denies Issuing Ultimatum by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 11, 2010
Quite outrageous!

(1) (Reply)

Group Asks International Criminal Court To Investigate Jos Killings / Un Names Nigerian Casualty In Haiti Quake / Court Ruling Renders Anambra Poll Illegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.