Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola (1584 Views)

Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 / Open Letter To Senator Bukola Saraki From Chief Edwin Clark (Old Letter) / Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Timothy Adeola Odutola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by iOctane: 12:11pm On May 13, 2017
Dear Mr. Odutola,

I think it will be an exceeding saving of time and more business-like if I avoid all sweet preliminaries and go straight into the object of this letter and say that I am writing to ask you to be good enough to lend me a sum of £1,400 (One thousand and four hundred pounds) free of interest for twelve years.

It is a staggering figure! More staggering indeed does it become, when it is realized that I, who am asking for this loan, have nothing in all the world to give as a security for this money, excepting my good faith and my brains which again are of value only so long as I continue to breathe the breath of life!

Nevertheless, I here proceed to outline in brief why i want this big loan from you. And I hope you will be kind enough to sacrifice some time to go through what I have to say, even though, in the end you might find yourself unable to do me this grand favour.

One great ambition of mine since my boyhood days is to be a lawyer, a politician and a journalist, rolled into one. I cherish politics and journalism as a career, and I desire advocacy as a means of livelihood. For you will agree with me that a politician or journalist who has no money with which to support himself and family comfortably, is like a blade which has no razor.

Now, at one time, I was on the verge of making enough money with which I could proceed to England in order to pursue the object of my ambition; but I suffered a twist in my fortune, and I crashed. Ever since, I have tried without success to recover lost grounds, financially. But spiritually and intellectually, I have made appreciable advance in spite of towering difficulties, all of which have now been surmounted.

As you are aware, I have just passed the intermediate Bachelor of Commerce Examination. Next year, I am taking the final B.Com. Having a degree is not my goal; I hate to be a government or mercantile employee. Otherwise, there are opportunities for me here and there to get a suitable and well paid job under government or one of the mercantile houses. As you know, however, once I become an employee of government or a mercantile establishment that is the end to my career as a politician and journalist. I have therefore resolved that under no circumstances will I take up such employment.

That is just by the way. I am now thirty-four years of age. After careful thought, I have come to the conclusion that if I could raise a loan free of interest sufficient to cover expenses, I should go to England, this year and within three years, I should qualify as a Barrister –at –law, and also obtain with Honours the LL.B Degree of London University. In addition this degrees apart from giving me good backing as a solicitor and Advocate will help me immensely as a politician and journalist.

But where on earth could i get the money? Who in Nigeria today could give £1,400 free of interest to help his fellow-man? J. Henry Doherty, Esq., of illustrious memory who did the like to many successful Nigerians is no more. But after meticulous, shifting and weighing, I hit upon you.

I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that out of the bounty with which providence blesses your grit and efforts as a businessman, you can well easily afford to advance such a sum of money. I have no doubt too that as a young and progressive man you will be quite happy to give the money for the pursuit of the project for which I desire it.

But then, could you take this risk?

That is the question. As I have said before, I have no security for this loan. Moreover, I want it free of interest. So that you stand to gain absolutely NOTHING in the whole transaction, except the satisfaction that by helping me to achieve my ambition you are indirectly or even directly helping Nigeria or even Africa.

This risk becomes greater when it is borne in mind that I might die in the course of my studies or immediately after, so that, since I have no security or surety, you stand the chance of losing not only the money but also the satisfaction which you may cherish that you are contributing to the uplift of Africa. It is indeed a great risk; the greatest any man ever embarks upon.

But, this is a big BUT, if I live, as I have no doubt I will do, you will not only get your money back in full, but you will, to the end of your days, have cause to rejoice that you have done one of the most outstanding and most philanthropic acts any human being ever does. Among other things, I shall make excellent use of the money while in England by breaking records in my examination. On my return to Nigeria, I shall strive to be one of the foremost advocates, politicians and writers in West Africa, and while I do all these, I shall make it a point not only to pay your money back in full, but also to repay your kindness and generosity towards me in every way I can.

All the same, it is a big risk! So, Sir, I like you to think seriously about it, and see if you can take it in the interest of a young man who has brain, industry and determination to back his ambition, but lacks the money. I know we have never been close friends, but I have a shrewd idea that you may take the risk and help me.

On this assumption, therefore, I proceed to the next and last stage of this letter.

I shall not require the whole £1,400 in a lump sum. To start with, you will help me pay a sum of £208-13s-3d to the Inner Temple. I have already received an application form from this Inn of Court; and from the details forwarded, I gather that the sum of £208-13s-3d will cover all the cost of training as a barrister, examination fees excluded.

When I am ready to sail, you will advance me a sum of £100 to cover passage, provision for my family and any other incidental expenses (NOTE: If I got torpedoed on the way, you would certainly lose this £100 but you will recover the £208-13s-3d).

At the same time you will remit to a London Bank the sum of £491-6s-9d. It is out of this amount that I shall pay the university fees for LL.B course and for special courses in political science and journalism, when I land in England. This is to say, the initial advance will total £800.

At the end of the first year, provided I make satisfactory progress in my studies, you will give instruction to the bank to honour all cheques from me drawn on this account. There will be an arrangement to be signed by me on my return.

On my return, I shall require TWO years within which to establish a solid practice and build a good reputation. After these two years, I should commence to pay at least £200 per annum either in monthly, quarterly or annual payments. So that in seven years after the first two years, I should pay back the whole sum of £1,400. That will be TWELVE YEARS from the time you help me to pay this in April or so this year, then I should be due to pay the whole of £1,400 by April 1955.

Now, as you yourself will see, this is the farthest limit within which I can pay the money. It may be possible for me to pay the money within THREE to FIVE years of my return. As a matter of fact, the sooner I pay it off, the better. But it is much better to be on the safe side in a matter like this. It is no making promises now which will be difficult to fulfil in future. On the contrary it is better to mention a period of twelve years and pay within SIX or EIGHT years than to mention FIVE YEARS and fail to pay within TEN years. Personally, I prefer that I should fail to get the loan under theses unattractive but sure conditions, rather than succeed in getting it under attractive but precarious conditions.

Now, this is all I have to say. You have my request before you, and the reason why i make the request. It is left for you to decide whether it is worthwhile to take the risk of helping me in the manner outlined above or not.

If you do me the great favour, not only myself and all that are mine, but also God and Africa will be grateful, I shall have no cause whatsoever to grumble or to blame you, FOR THE RISK IS GREAT.

Since this is a very selfish request, I enclosed herewith a self addressed stamped envelope to be sent under a registered post.

Obafemi Awolowo.

1 Like

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by cosby02(m): 12:13pm On May 13, 2017
Mayb the guy below me will read it....iono.
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Youdondeymad: 12:14pm On May 13, 2017
RIP Sir Awolowo

2 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Airforce1(m): 12:18pm On May 13, 2017
Too long
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Tolexander: 12:30pm On May 13, 2017
See a well detailed request letter from the sage, requesting for fund to finance his education in UK and his family during the cause of being away for the course.

Whereas, some men during his time only borrowed to finance their parents' burial ceremony and squander the rest.

3 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Pavore9: 1:18pm On May 13, 2017
Read every word....He was so convinced of his potentials​.

4 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by kamalcole3000: 2:45pm On May 13, 2017
Obafemi Awolowo....the greatest president Nigeria never had.

3 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Dedetwo(m): 3:05pm On May 13, 2017
He equally borrowed money for his flight ticket back to Nigeria. Nonetheless, the dude was a formidable turncoat.
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by koladebrainiac(m): 3:26pm On May 13, 2017
JESU!!!!! SUCH A DETERMINATION LETTER THIS LETTER IS EPIC
IT SHOULD BE STUDUED FOREVER IN SCHOOLS N LIFE COACHINGS SCHOOLS

HE HAS NOTHING N BORROW MONEY USING HIS BRAIN HAS COLLATERAL WHO DOES THAT?

4 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by abdulslutsky(m): 8:52pm On May 13, 2017
Wow, never read something good like this in a long time. This should serve as a template for people to believe in themselves and potentials.

5 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by realborn(m): 9:18pm On May 13, 2017
This letter should embolden every young person's dream.

At 34 years, he never gave up.

I am inspired! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:26pm On May 13, 2017
iOctane:
Dear Mr. Odutola,

I think it will be an exceeding saving of time and more business-like if I avoid all sweet preliminaries and go straight into the object of this letter and say that I am writing to ask you to be good enough to lend me a sum of £1,400 (One thousand and four hundred pounds) free of interest for twelve years.

Obafemi Awolowo.

Reading through this letter moved me deeply. It is a modern Nigerian treasure.

In this letter one can glimpse even in his youth, the powerful intellect and visionary mind of Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

His language is superb, his diction is fantastic, his message is clear, his brilliance is corruscating.
Any young person wishing to go far in life should read through this letter (and Awolowo's books) for pointers on determination, doggedness and planning.

It is a shame that almost a hundred years later, contemporary Nigerian 'graduates' display neither the level of erudition or mastery of written and spoken English which Awolowo, not yet an undergraduate, so clearly and brilliantly exhibits in this letter.
Not just that, some ignorant and shameless people here can not even take the time to read what has already been written by a towering genius and sage. It is very irritating and dispiriting to note that in this day and age, many young Nigerians still do not recognize that readers are leaders.
Little wonder then why our elders hold the younger generation in contempt and refuse to hand over the reins of power to us.

I urge everyone to read this letter for wisdom and knowledge. It may just be the best thing you do today

PS
Does anyone have a working link to his published books ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by abimbolayekeen: 10:13pm On May 13, 2017
R I P, late sage.

1 Like

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by haywhy009(m): 9:14pm On May 14, 2017
All I can see in this letter Is a man who believe in his abilities and have confidence that he can/will be great in life. Don't think we have a lot of youth that can be this bold and precise (including me too). What a man

1 Like

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by seunfly: 10:46pm On May 14, 2017
Nothing motivates more than this.

It is unfortunate that we don't study our own genius, if it was an american or British that wrote something like, it will in all the history books and in every quotes.

1 Like

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Cekpo34(m): 10:49pm On May 14, 2017
It was an ingenious gesture. From all ramifications, it paid off!

1 Like

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by raker300: 10:53pm On May 14, 2017
He's not important enough for me to read through this long epistle

1 Like

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by raker300: 10:54pm On May 14, 2017
Pavore9:
Read every word....He was so convinced of his potentials​.
you believe this with no link? What made you think this is even true in the first place
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Ephramed(m): 10:55pm On May 14, 2017
NYSC GIVES EVERYBODY HIS/HER WISH. SO MY 2KOBO ; BECAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR BEFORE NYSC.COS ITS ALWAYs comes true.
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by deomelo: 11:03pm On May 14, 2017

(Culled from the book, Chief Obafemi Awolowo: The Political Moses by Adedara Oduguwa, Page 119-123).

Greatest Nigerian ever.

1 Like

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Nobody: 2:01am On May 15, 2017
raker300:
He's not important enough for me to read through this long epistle

Don't even try it. I doubt if you possess the mental capacity to process its contents.

5 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Naijaguy12345(m): 2:13am On May 15, 2017
kamalcole3000:
Obafemi Awolowo....the greatest president Nigeria never had.
even though I am ndigbo, I agree with you. My people cry of marginalisation everyday not knowing they are the architect of their own downfall.

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by afonjadie: 2:22am On May 15, 2017
Are we talking about Oju eja here? The same Oju eja that patronize the famous Aba rat killers and decided to used it to douse his HBP grin

And ended up like in the picture below grin Afonjas will always love him, Aba rat killer traders union see him as a customer, sad loss for many. grin

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Incrizz(f): 2:47am On May 15, 2017
So, was the money given him?

You're O.y.o if you want some money from my dad and uiu can convince him as clearly.

*couldn't read it all.
Too touching.
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by tonytony208(m): 3:12am On May 15, 2017
Dedetwo:
He equally borrowed money for his flight ticket back to Nigeria. Nonetheless, the dude was a formidable turncoat.

What then do you want to call ojukwu? Don't forget that ojukwu abandoned your grandfather to die and baled out to Gabon. Awolowo owed you and your tribe no allegiance, but ojukwu was the one who led you to war. Consequently, he should stay with you.......But he abandoned you. So, who is the real turncoat here?
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Alfranco(m): 4:13am On May 15, 2017
abdulslutsky:
Wow, never read something good like this in a long time. This should serve as a template for people to believe in themselves and potentials.
It's such a piece as inspiring and well thought out as the famous Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson. The words paged by a sage hardly wither with age.

2 Likes

Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by lenghtinny(m): 4:57am On May 15, 2017
The good old days..

Nowadays no one gives a damn about letter writing, when SMS and whatsapp exists
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by orisa37: 6:12am On May 15, 2017
iOctane:
Dear Mr. Odutola,

It is a staggering figure! More staggering indeed does it become, when it is realized that I, who am asking for this loan, have nothing in all the world to give as a security for this money, excepting my good faith and my brains which again are of value only so long as I continue to breathe the breath of life!

Nevertheless, I here proceed to outline in brief why i want this big loan from you. And I hope you will be kind enough to sacrifice some time to go through what I have to say, even though, in the end you might find yourself unable to do me this grand favour.

One great ambition of mine since my boyhood days is to be a lawyer, a politician and a journalist, rolled into one. I cherish politics and journalism as a career, and I desire advocacy as a means of livelihood. For you will agree with me that a politician or journalist who has no money with which to support himself and family comfortably, is like a blade which has no razor.

Now, at one time, I was on the verge of making enough money with which I could proceed to England in order to pursue the object of my ambition; but I suffered a twist in my fortune, and I crashed. Ever since, I have tried without success to recover lost grounds, financially. But spiritually and intellectually, I have made appreciable advance in spite of towering difficulties, all of which have now been surmounted.

As you are aware, I have just passed the intermediate Bachelor of Commerce Examination. Next year, I am taking the final B.Com. Having a degree is not my goal; I hate to be a government or mercantile employee. Otherwise, there are opportunities for me here and there to get a suitable and well paid job under government or one of the mercantile houses. As you know, however, once I become an employee of government or a mercantile establishment that is the end to my career as a politician and journalist. I have therefore resolved that under no circumstances will I take up such employment.

That is just by the way. I am now thirty-four years of age. After careful thought, I have come to the conclusion that if I could raise a loan free of interest sufficient to cover expenses, I should go to England, this year and within three years, I should qualify as a Barrister –at –law, and also obtain with Honours the LL.B Degree of London University. In addition this degrees apart from giving me good backing as a solicitor and Advocate will help me immensely as a politician and journalist.

But where on earth could i get the money? Who in Nigeria today could give £1,400 free of interest to help his fellow-man? J. Henry Doherty, Esq., of illustrious memory who did the like to many successful Nigerians is no more. But after meticulous, shifting and weighing, I hit upon you.

I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that out of the bounty with which providence blesses your grit and efforts as a businessman, you can well easily afford to advance such a sum of money. I have no doubt too that as a young and progressive man you will be quite happy to give the money for the pursuit of the project for which I desire it.

But then, could you take this risk?

That is the question. As I have said before, I have no security for this loan. Moreover, I want it free of interest. So that you stand to gain absolutely NOTHING in the whole transaction, except the satisfaction that by helping me to achieve my ambition you are indirectly or even directly helping Nigeria or even Africa.

This risk becomes greater when it is borne in mind that I might die in the course of my studies or immediately after, so that, since I have no security or surety, you stand the chance of losing not only the money but also the satisfaction which you may cherish that you are contributing to the uplift of Africa. It is indeed a great risk; the greatest any man ever embarks upon.

But, this is a big BUT, if I live, as I have no doubt I will do, you will not only get your money back in full, but you will, to the end of your days, have cause to rejoice that you have done one of the most outstanding and most philanthropic acts any human being ever does. Among other things, I shall make excellent use of the money while in England by breaking records in my examination. On my return to Nigeria, I shall strive to be one of the foremost advocates, politicians and writers in West Africa, and while I do all these, I shall make it a point not only to pay your money back in full, but also to repay your kindness and generosity towards me in every way I can.

All the same, it is a big risk! So, Sir, I like you to think seriously about it, and see if you can take it in the interest of a young man who has brain, industry and determination to back his ambition, but lacks the money. I know we have never been close friends, but I have a shrewd idea that you may take the risk and help me.

On this assumption, therefore, I proceed to the next and last stage of this letter.

I shall not require the whole £1,400 in a lump sum. To start with, you will help me pay a sum of £208-13s-3d to the Inner Temple. I have already received an application form from this Inn of Court; and from the details forwarded, I gather that the sum of £208-13s-3d will cover all the cost of training as a barrister, examination fees excluded.

When I am ready to sail, you will advance me a sum of £100 to cover passage, provision for my family and any other incidental expenses (NOTE: If I got torpedoed on the way, you would certainly lose this £100 but you will recover the £208-13s-3d).

At the same time you will remit to a London Bank the sum of £491-6s-9d. It is out of this amount that I shall pay the university fees for LL.B course and for special courses in political science and journalism, when I land in England. This is to say, the initial advance will total £800.

At the end of the first year, provided I make satisfactory progress in my studies, you will give instruction to the bank to honour all cheques from me drawn on this account. There will be an arrangement to be signed by me on my return.

On my return, I shall require TWO years within which to establish a solid practice and build a good reputation. After these two years, I should commence to pay at least £200 per annum either in monthly, quarterly or annual payments. So that in seven years after the first two years, I should pay back the whole sum of £1,400. That will be TWELVE YEARS from the time you help me to pay this in April or so this year, then I should be due to pay the whole of £1,400 by April 1955.

Now, as you yourself will see, this is the farthest limit within which I can pay the money. It may be possible for me to pay the money within THREE to FIVE years of my return. As a matter of fact, the sooner I pay it off, the better. But it is much better to be on the safe side in a matter like this. It is no making promises now which will be difficult to fulfil in future. On the contrary it is better to mention a period of twelve years and pay within SIX or EIGHT years than to mention FIVE YEARS and fail to pay within TEN years. Personally, I prefer that I should fail to get the loan under theses unattractive but sure conditions, rather than succeed in getting it under attractive but precarious conditions.

Now, this is all I have to say. You have my request before you, and the reason why i make the request. It is left for you to decide whether it is worthwhile to take the risk of helping me in the manner outlined above or not.

If you do me the great favour, not only myself and all that are mine, but also God and Africa will be grateful, I shall have no cause whatsoever to grumble or to blame you, FOR THE RISK IS GREAT.

Since this is a very selfish request, I enclosed herewith a self addressed stamped envelope to be sent under a registered post.

Obafemi Awolowo.

He was a Lamb of God with Destiny. God bless Obafemi Awolowo, Odutola and Doherty too.
I just wonder why he didn't date the letter? He was 34 then, thank you God for the experience of his nature of perseverance.
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by Segadem(m): 6:40am On May 15, 2017
hmmm, £1,400 in 1943? Quality education is expensive
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by SillyMods: 6:59am On May 15, 2017
In today's money, that's a whopping 60,620 Pounds Sterling!

Quality education has always been very expensive.

This letter is very inspiring and goes to show the quality our leaders of those years were made of.

Today's graduates can't measure up at all. Yet we keep shouting "give youths a chance" when the only thing the youths have mastered is looting and its associated siblings.
Re: Letter By Chief Awolowo Requesting For An Education Loan From Chief Odutola by SillyMods: 7:01am On May 15, 2017
orisa37:

He was a Lamb of God with Destiny. God bless Obafemi Awolowo, Odutola and Doherty too.
I just wonder why he didn't date the letter? He was 34 then, thank you God for the experience of his nature of perseverance.
How would he have written a letter without a date?

The OP has only produced the texts of the letter here. If he brings the copy, there'd be surely a date and his signature.

(1) (Reply)

Sit-at-home: See How Biafra Rendered Nigerian Security Personnel Useless Today / The Friendship And Betrayal Of Amaechi, Wike, Abe And Peterside! / New Greeting In IMO State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.